Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Heat sinks plus some abilities meant I could just dump indefinitely. Mid game I no longer worried about heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Drifter posted:

What the gently caress is the difference between waiting to reload and waiting to cool down? The time differences are negligable.

not having ammo and waiting forever? ME3 didn't have ammo issues, but ME2 sure did for several of the weapons (looking at you, all the powerful sniper rifles)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

also the Lancer became my go to ME3 AR every run after Citadel came out

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You definitely had to make ammo runs in multiplayer with some weapons / classes.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You definitely had to make ammo runs in multiplayer with some weapons / classes.

Yeah, but you might as well just roll with a power class and get five times the next person's score.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Yeah, but you might as well just roll with a power class and get five times the next person's score.

After a while I had more fun playing a 'character' then going for the high score, as long as it wasn't dragging the team down too much. Like being an X species grunt that only used that species weapons, The Angriest Volus, malfunctioning Geth, poo poo like that.

The power classes were the go to though for sure. I thought it was great when they patched in those little conversations to ME3 responding to the multiplayer strategies like "Seriously who still uses two guns?"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JawKnee posted:

not having ammo and waiting forever? ME3 didn't have ammo issues, but ME2 sure did for several of the weapons (looking at you, all the powerful sniper rifles)

In ME3 multiplayer several of the weapons most definitely had severe ammo issues as a balance thing.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

I still don't know why they didn't just marry the two ammo systems.
Everything is heat-based, if you overheat the magazine then you pop it out and load a fresh one just like ME2/3, if you stop shooting before reaching maximum heat, the magazine cools down (at a slightly faster pace than reloading.)
Lore stays intact and you get a slightly more interesting game-mechanic to boot.

I'm sure they're going to cripple the retro heatsink just because they want ammo to be viable.

Iirc they tried doing this in the gameplay test for ME2 and it felt completely awful in play. Way too confusing for the player and your choice-reward structure isn't clear at all, only getting worse when you introduce variables like different weapons with different clip sizes/cool rates.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Guys if you're not able to tell that an option that destroys am entire species is going to be displeasing to a squadmate of that species without being explicitly told so via on-screen text then I think you should stop collecting model trains and go outside

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Guys if you're not able to tell that an option that destroys am entire species is going to be displeasing to a squadmate of that species without being explicitly told so via on-screen text then I think you should stop collecting model trains and go outside

I dunno, I bet Sera would be just dandy with you pressing a "destroy all elves" button.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

JawKnee posted:

The Mattock was so good but man it burned through ammo hilariously fast.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

Iirc they tried doing this in the gameplay test for ME2 and it felt completely awful in play. Way too confusing for the player and your choice-reward structure isn't clear at all, only getting worse when you introduce variables like different weapons with different clip sizes/cool rates.

I can see a Gears of War like system where you have a reload meter - do nothing and it just cools down, press a button and you eject the thermal clip.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DarkHorse posted:

I can see a Gears of War like system where you have a reload meter - do nothing and it just cools down, press a button and you eject the thermal clip.

So ejecting a clip lets you reload faster, but you only have a limited amount of 'fast reloads' until you find more? I've never played GoW, is that how that works?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In Gears, reloading is a little minigame. Press the reload button and a market moves across your ammo bar. Hit the trigger with the right timing gives you a damage boost, and loving up makes you take longer. Doing nothing will let you reload normally.

What they propose is at any time during the cooldown you could hit the button to eject a clip, instantly "reloading."

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I don't understand why gears of war is the only game which has the reloading QTE thing. It's such a good mechanic, but for some reason nobody ripped it off.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Mymla posted:

I don't understand why gears of war is the only game which has the reloading QTE thing. It's such a good mechanic, but for some reason nobody ripped it off.

I liked it because it included a gun jam mechanic that was based on player actions instead of something like RNG, so if you got better you had less jams and a nice boost.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

OatBoy posted:

The Mattock was so good but man it burned through ammo hilariously fast.

This is called balance, isn't it?

I mean, nobody expects a heavy weapon like the Cain to have unlimited ammo, so why should your regular weapons be any different? The Mattock was already pretty broken, head and shoulders better than any other rifle, and it would have been even more busted if you didn't have to exercise some restraint to avoid running out of ammo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mymla posted:

A few have actually, but almost none of them are traditional shooters.

http://www.giantbomb.com/active-reload/3015-48/games/

I think that list is also missing several or quite a few.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

The Mattock was already pretty broken, head and shoulders better than any other rifle, and it would have been even more busted if you didn't have to exercise some restraint to avoid running out of ammo.
The Falcon was arguably better on release, and the various DLC packs relegated the Mattock to "pretty good I guess" with things like the Harrier and Typhoon.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Falcon was arguably better on release, and the various DLC packs relegated the Mattock to "pretty good I guess" with things like the Harrier and Typhoon.

We talking ME2 or ME3 now? Because I thought the ammo thing was ME2.

ME3 basically threw ammo at you non stop, it was rare not to be near full capacity.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

it's boring to exercise restraint in video games

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DancingShade posted:

We talking ME2 or ME3 now? Because I thought the ammo thing was ME2.

ME3 basically threw ammo at you non stop, it was rare not to be near full capacity.

ME3, mostly multiplayer.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I hope Andromeda has the absurd number of weapons ME3 had

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

ME3, mostly multiplayer.

Yeah, I'm talking about the ME 2 Mattock. It was a lot more balanced in ME 3, and as DancingShades said, that game also threw a lot more ammo at you.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Android Blues posted:

They simplified alot of systems for ME2, some for good reason. An overheat + reload system isn't that complex and even made an appearance in a couple of weapons for ME3.

It'd make even more sense in Andromeda where you drop into a mission with a limited amount of magazines and have to rely on overheating if you fail to manage your supply properly.

But instead we're just gonna be able to use alien ammunition with our weapon's mass-effect fields or Sam is going to be so intelligent that it will be able to advance weapon technology far beyond what was available in ME.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh yeah, it would make sense that there's no Milky Way-based ammo just lying around random planets you explore on Andromeda for you to reload with.

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
"Wow good thing our scientists were able to convert the alien thermal clips to our technology"

I also wonder if the SAM totally 100% legal,safe AI is the reason that you're going to be able to switch power and talents. It could be, narratively, like the Matrix where the AI uploads the abilities to do something.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They did say this game will be like XCOM where you can research and reverse engineer alien tech.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

They did say this game will be like XCOM where you can research and reverse engineer alien tech.

Nothing about this game will be "like XCOM" except in the most nebulous and ambiguous terms, hahaha.
...of course, if they let you gently caress a snake chick with some big ol' tittays then maybe.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lurks Morington posted:

"Wow good thing our scientists were able to convert the alien thermal clips to our technology"

I also wonder if the SAM totally 100% legal,safe AI is the reason that you're going to be able to switch power and talents. It could be, narratively, like the Matrix where the AI uploads the abilities to do something.

SAM is completely legal because the civilisation you came from no longer exists and you're in the space wild west.

Safe? Sure, as safe as the nexus thing which totally didn't crash or anything.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Now I'm envisioning your SAM implants bursting into flames like a Galaxy Note 7.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

DancingShade posted:

SAM is completely legal because the civilisation you came from no longer exists and you're in the space wild west.

Safe? Sure, as safe as the nexus thing which totally didn't crash or anything.

presumably also legal because you aren't actually in council space

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Drifter posted:

Nothing about this game will be "like XCOM" except in the most nebulous and ambiguous terms, hahaha.
...of course, if they let you gently caress a snake chick with some big ol' tittays then maybe.

"Snake Titskin? I thought you was dead"

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

They changed the sound of the Mattock between 2 and 3, making it not good. Used to sound like an actual hammer driving a nail into things, then just became somewhat anemic.

Maybe the stats were still good, but that gun was made to sound like doomsday and just felt like a step backwards.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jfood posted:

They changed the sound of the Mattock between 2 and 3, making it not good. Used to sound like an actual hammer driving a nail into things, then just became somewhat anemic.

Maybe the stats were still good, but that gun was made to sound like doomsday and just felt like a step backwards.

That's because the real Mattock in 3 is the Saber.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cythereal posted:

That thing sounds so good.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cythereal posted:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That thing sounds so good.

It sounds like what a Mike Tyson punch looks like

it's a very satisfying gun and I hope they bring it to MEA essentially unchanged

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016
the Saber only sounded good (and I mean like really good) if you were the one shooting it. from a third person perspective, it sounded like a weak "twang"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Saber was very decent on Turian kits in MP because of their bonus to assault rifles. Good for when you needed a break from the incredibly OP Cerberus Harrier. Also fun to put on the Asari Justicar because hey why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Yeah, the only balance made to the Harrier was loving ammo, that thing was a beast.

I was satisfied with the variety of guns in ME3:MP, some of them were pretty wizard-like but that just promotes a different playstyle.

Especially since CoD/Battlefield do the same poo poo where 95% of all guns are just different models with slightly different RoF/recoil.