Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Thanks guys. I just bought a SP again and want to pick up some games. I did look at Amazon but they're like $100 atleast for games granted I didn't look at used. Debated on a flash cart also.

You'd probably be better off with a flash cart. Good GBA games are expensive, especially with boxes and fakes are all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Speaking of GBA, playing them on the Wii U VC is so cool. I'm going through Minish Cap and the gamepad is like a big comfortable GBA. They look great on it and the TV.

This is what I will probably do in a year or two when the Wii U is cheap (hopefully they VC games are still on sale then).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeANMcBAY posted:

You'd probably be better off with a flash cart. Good GBA games are expensive, especially with boxes and fakes are all over the place.

Is the EZ Flash 4 alright?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

That's the one you want, iirc. A 32 gig card should be more than enough, as well.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

It is extremely good.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cool i bought one off of amazon, onyl thign I read was that it's kind of a pain to get games to save or something?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Endorph posted:

mainline ff only used amnesia in one game!!!

ff1: presumably the warriors have memories
ff2: they have memories
ff3: they have memories
ff4: i guess golbez gets brainwashed but that's a little different
ff5: galuf has amnesia but he isn't the protagonist
ff6: terra maybe? but again that's brainwashing and also she was really really young when the esper stuff happened so forgetting that is natural
ff7: yea
ff8: i mean there's the dumb orphanage thing but does that really count
ff9: again, zidane was really really young when he was removed from his home, so forgetting that isn't amnesia, it's just kind of how human brains work
ffx: ma, maybe?
ffxi: id like to forget that ff11 was a thing i played for two years, does that count
ff12: no
ff13: no
ff14: no
ff15: no

I know this thread moves fast, but I wanted to pay tribute to this glorious, well researched JRPG effort post

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cool i bought one off of amazon, onyl thign I read was that it's kind of a pain to get games to save or something?

Yeah the EZ Flash requires ROMs to be patched with extra metadata so it knows which type of save the game uses. The alternative is the EverDrive-GBA which Just Works with unpatched ROMs, but you pay a hefty premium for it.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Supercard SD was pretty cheap and saving just worked and it was compatible with the DS. I don't know if it's still around, though.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Can someone quickly sell me or turn me away from :

- Animal Crossing
- Kid Icarus Uprising

Never played AC or KI series
Looking for something to take a break from all the rpgs I have for the 3ds

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Artelier posted:

Can someone quickly sell me or turn me away from :

- Animal Crossing
- Kid Icarus Uprising

Never played AC or KI series
Looking for something to take a break from all the rpgs I have for the 3ds

Animal Crossing pros: it's super charming, easy to understand and play, tons of replay value if it hooks you. You're a mayor of your own town (small neighborhood,) you upgrade and decorate your home and town, entertain your neighbors as they move in/live/move out, collect various things such as bugs, fossils, fish, and paintings, and take place in various seasonal events with your residents. There's a lot more to do and see, but that's the gist of it. Did I mention that it's charming? The characters and writing are excellent and will make you a happier person.

Animal Crossing cons: it's full of anthropomorphic characters and your mom may look at you funny if she sees you playing it. Like you're 24 years old, why are you still playing a Game Boy and why the hell are you talking to a little duck named Freckles? Is that your little furry girlfriend or something? I think it's time you moved out of my house. And don't loving leave any of those dumb Japanese swords behind in your room, either. I don't want some rear end in a top hat breaking in here in the middle of the night while I'm here alone and grabbing one of those to use as a weapon. Wait, are they even real? You know what, never mind, I'll just throw them out on my own.

Kid Icarus pros: all the goons love it. It's the best game on the system.

Kid Icarus cons: idk I haven't played it, it looks stupid.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 30, 2017

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I bought Phoenix Wright trilogy and Dual Destinies on holiday sales. Slowly playing them through when I realized I forgot about the Apollo Justice game between. How does it compare to the rest of the series?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Kid Icarus Uprising lives and dies by the weird control scheme. The way the control stick and heavy stylus use combine basically mean you have to hold the system one handed, which can be awkward. It doesn't sound that significant but the stages are long and if you have an XL your wrist maybe won't be able to handle it.

If the controls work for you, Kid Icarus is one of the prettiest, most charming, and most enjoyable games on the 3DS. For the soundtrack, as far as I can tell, Nintendo just took like the six best people they knew and locked them in a room together. The music is breathtaking. It also has the same kind of difficulty system seen in SSB4, if you've played that. Also a surprisingly deep weapon crafting/fusion system.

What I'm saying is that Kid Icarus is amazing and I love.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

chinese barbecue porp posted:

I bought Phoenix Wright trilogy and Dual Destinies on holiday sales. Slowly playing them through when I realized I forgot about the Apollo Justice game between. How does it compare to the rest of the series?

Don't skip it. Lucky for you, you can get it easily now in HD for iOS or Android (the first Ace Attorney game on Android!). As for if it's good, it's either the best poo poo ever or the low point in the series — there isn't a lot of moderate opinions about it. But it's one of my favorites, good soundtrack, Phoenix plays a different roll in this game, and it ties into the original trilogy.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Looking back on it, it's still a decent PW game, and is worth playing if you're a fan of the series.

That said, the highs tended to not be as high as either the game that came before or the one that came after it, and the lows were pretty bad, even relative to the rest of the series. If I never have to see that clip of the concert again in my life, it'll be too soon.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Fever is also is worth it for multiplayer on the TV.

It's worth it entirely for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpsezVsd0No

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

enojy posted:

Is that your little furry girlfriend or something?

don't you talk about tia like that mooooooom

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Kid Icarus is so good omg

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I went with Kid Icarus mainly because there was only one copy left in all the nearby game stores.

Impressions:
- This game is so fast!
- Feels like a proper 3DS game that could only be done here, like how TWEWY was for the DS
- Homg my hand is tired
- The included 3DS stand is REALLY USEFUL
- I wonder if I can swap weapons mid battle?

Beat 3 stages already, first two on 2.0 intensity and the third on 3.1. The game doesn't seem that long but the replay value potential looks huge. Also I'm enjoying the really cheesy and silly script.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Apollo Justice's big issue is that the titular character comes across as sorta incompetent and like a pushover a lot of the time. Fortunately we learn in the following two games that this was just a problem with AA4 in particular and not inherent to Apollo himself because he becomes a lot cooler in Dual Destiny and Spirit of Justice.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Phoenix is sort of incompetent a lot of the time too though, he's just lucky and good at bluffing. :v:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Countblanc posted:

Apollo Justice's big issue is that the titular character comes across as sorta incompetent and like a pushover a lot of the time. Fortunately we learn in the following two games that this was just a problem with AA4 in particular and not inherent to Apollo himself because he becomes a lot cooler in Dual Destiny and Spirit of Justice.

This reads a lot like Phoenix's characterization though. I last played the trilogy back when they were released and I remember being really annoyed with Franziska who gets away with physical violence in the court room.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

This reads a lot like Phoenix's characterization though. I last played the trilogy back when they were released and I remember being really annoyed with Franziska who gets away with physical violence in the court room.

You are a foolish fool who foolishly thinks less of a woman who makes a fool of your foolish ways.

Fool :colbert:.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Between Godot throwing coffee mugs and Blackquill's...well, everything, I'm pretty sure this is just something Phoenix just rolls with at this point.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Between Godot throwing coffee mugs

Yeah but that sipping sfx is like the best sound effect I've ever heard and it makes me thirsty af every time :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Artelier posted:

I went with Kid Icarus mainly because there was only one copy left in all the nearby game stores.

Impressions:
- This game is so fast!
- Feels like a proper 3DS game that could only be done here, like how TWEWY was for the DS
- Homg my hand is tired
- The included 3DS stand is REALLY USEFUL
- I wonder if I can swap weapons mid battle?

Beat 3 stages already, first two on 2.0 intensity and the third on 3.1. The game doesn't seem that long but the replay value potential looks huge. Also I'm enjoying the really cheesy and silly script.

It's super loving good and you're at the shittiest most mundane part (relatively speaking). poo poo like Smash has probably spoiled a few things, but don't look up anything Uprising-related like music until you beat the game, it truly is a singular adventure.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I should get around to finishing KIU. I could never get around how annoying it is to run as opposed to walking or whatever that weird skip thing he does every time I needed to get out of the way of something trying to kill me.

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 30, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The sensitivity of the double-tap-to-run thing was my only real mechanical problem with that game, yeah. Anything that requires you to walk a precise path is kinda finicky, not that it forces you to do it all that often.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Was Uprising the one that was less good if you're left handed, because I'm so left handed that it's stupid. It's completely idiotic how left handed I am.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

mysterious frankie posted:

Was Uprising the one that was less good if you're left handed, because I'm so left handed that it's stupid. It's completely idiotic how left handed I am.

I'm left handed too, actually, but I'm making do. I tried the left handed control scheme and differentiating the walk, run and dodge on the face buttons was a pain, so I'm just sticking to the default controls atm. I can totally understand why you can't get through the game though, sorry. :(

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't like Animal Crossing because you can't just sit down and play it. You only have about ~30 minutes of fetch quest gaming a day and that's it. You can't really sit down and grind out. Charming though.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Artelier posted:

I'm left handed too, actually, but I'm making do. I tried the left handed control scheme and differentiating the walk, run and dodge on the face buttons was a pain, so I'm just sticking to the default controls atm. I can totally understand why you can't get through the game though, sorry. :(

I've never actually tried it because i heard that it wasn't great for lefties. It looked right up my alley though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't like Animal Crossing because you can't just sit down and play it. You only have about ~30 minutes of fetch quest gaming a day and that's it. You can't really sit down and grind out. Charming though.

If you're grinding in Animal Crossing, you're playing it wrong.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
In Animal Crossing New Leaf you can absolutely grind beetle hunting on the island if you want to get super rich too fast and ruin the fun.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fun Times! posted:

In Animal Crossing New Leaf you can absolutely grind beetle hunting on the island if you want to get super rich too fast and ruin the fun.

Yea, that made up for at least a few weeks worth of playtime for me (empty inventory, go to the island, fill up on beetles, go back and sell) and it was not fun at all. Now I have like 1,500,000 bells in the bank and I don't even really play the game anymore.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

Unfortunately, yeah :/ The Circle Pad Pro can kind of ameliorate that but good luck finding one

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Is this 7th dragon VFD game any good? I really am debating getting it or waiting for something else.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's mediocre

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The combat is mindlessly easy and the story is really dumb in the bad way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourpuss
Mar 18, 2007

Chomb Chomb Chomb
Which are the must own zelda titles? I have MM and ocarina but the tempation of the sale is too much