Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

acumen posted:

This is why you always bring a healer

I much prefer Fun-Having :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

I went through that, and the main takeaway seemed to be to prioritize mitigation abilities, then make what you can afford in orbs. My trouble is that I don't yet have a good sense of what orb income is like.

I guess to better phrase my question, would it be better to focus my ability creation on a few powerful 5stars and widen my pool as I go? Or would having more 3 and 4stars be preferable? This is mostly in regards to -ga vs -ja vs chain spells etc. Are 3star summons useful?

There's probably no hard and fast rule, I'm just interested to hear what strategies people use. With access to a number of burst commands, I feel like I rarely need more than four uses of abilities in most fights. But things like nightmare fights seem like they reward wider ability pools. Higher hones seem important for torment, but lower impact abilities might not cut it at all there.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'd focus on a solid pool of 3* and 4* skills above everything else, with the exception of r2 Full Break. I'd aim for having 10-12 non-Soul Break actions available for every character first and foremost, so you don't run out of steam in longer fights. Bursts are great for extending actions, of course, but I'd still aim to at least r3 the skills you use the most often.

3* summons are mostly good for hitting weaknesses, they're not all that powerful otherwise. But they are literally 10x cheaper to make and hone than 4* summons, so they're an ok stepping stone. You'll eventually need them for Nightmare Summon battles too. So it's not a bad idea to make 'em.

5* stuff is largely a luxury, and can wait till later.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

shoutout to all cecils who repeatedly use rampart to overwrite SG

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Inge posted:

If you find it hard with puppies, me and many of the other people in the discord will happily carry you through the 80 / 120, just ask :)

e: pubbies

Adel posted:

A lone goon struggling in MP:

:shittydog: :shittydog:
:pray: :cripes:

Haha, this is way funnier than it probably really is, but I needed that laugh. Thanks, you two.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

way to go steve posted:

I went through that, and the main takeaway seemed to be to prioritize mitigation abilities, then make what you can afford in orbs. My trouble is that I don't yet have a good sense of what orb income is like.

I guess to better phrase my question, would it be better to focus my ability creation on a few powerful 5stars and widen my pool as I go? Or would having more 3 and 4stars be preferable? This is mostly in regards to -ga vs -ja vs chain spells etc. Are 3star summons useful?

There's probably no hard and fast rule, I'm just interested to hear what strategies people use. With access to a number of burst commands, I feel like I rarely need more than four uses of abilities in most fights. But things like nightmare fights seem like they reward wider ability pools. Higher hones seem important for torment, but lower impact abilities might not cut it at all there.

I'd actually skip most 3* abilities and below, and try to focus on 4* stuff, which will really be your bread and butter for a long time. Protectga, shellga, and power and magic breakdowns are a priority. You can get by on Curaga (say, R3), but I'd skip ahead to Curaja before investing too much in Curaga. Especially if you have a couple BSBs, try to hold on to your 3* orbs for upgrading to 4*.

Notable 3* and below abilities that will probably see use:
2* - Wind Slash, sometimes retaliate
3* - Draw Fire (although getting phased out by the 5* Gaia Cross), the 3* summons (especially Shiva and Ifrit, as there are several good 4* lightning summons), the 3* Ninja spells, Esuna, sometimes dispel. Haste can be useful, but usually more for Cid Missions where bringing a hastega is harder.
Depending on your team, you might want to get power, magic, and/or armor break, and some 3* spellblades.

For most offensive magic and summons though, you're better off going with 4* and above. 5* is preferable (especially for black magic), but realistically it might take you too long to build up enough 5* orbs to cover your elemental bases.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

drat there have been a lot of darkness-weak Ult fights lately. Not gonna complain, though.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

drat there have been a lot of darkness-weak Ult fights lately. Not gonna complain, though.

I have Cid/Seymour/Leon BSBs so I'm pretty ok with that too.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

I'd actually skip most 3* abilities and below, and try to focus on 4* stuff, which will really be your bread and butter for a long time. Protectga, shellga, and power and magic breakdowns are a priority. You can get by on Curaga (say, R3), but I'd skip ahead to Curaja before investing too much in Curaga. Especially if you have a couple BSBs, try to hold on to your 3* orbs for upgrading to 4*.

Notable 3* and below abilities that will probably see use:
2* - Wind Slash, sometimes retaliate
3* - Draw Fire (although getting phased out by the 5* Gaia Cross), the 3* summons (especially Shiva and Ifrit, as there are several good 4* lightning summons), the 3* Ninja spells, Esuna, sometimes dispel. Haste can be useful, but usually more for Cid Missions where bringing a hastega is harder.
Depending on your team, you might want to get power, magic, and/or armor break, and some 3* spellblades.

For most offensive magic and summons though, you're better off going with 4* and above. 5* is preferable (especially for black magic), but realistically it might take you too long to build up enough 5* orbs to cover your elemental bases.

I feel like I've started to get the core stuff covered, I'm just not sure where to go from here. I've got proshellga, two r3 lifesiphons, a r2 wrath and r1 memento for raines. R3 power and magic breakdown, r1 full break. Power ice and lightning orbs will go to getting that r2.

So I'm starting to look at things like banishing strike, and I'm looking at what 5star abilities won't conflict with full break. My biggest goal right now is to field a team that can clear 200 torment for those class motes. I feel pretty confident in my ability to clear events now.

So far I've been leaning pretty hard on burst commands and RWs. Just trying to puzzle out how to get the most out of what I have.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Torment is a whole other animal usually. Like I clear events fine but this X torment was the first one I cleared and it took a lot of firepower.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Combo posted:

Torment is a whole other animal usually. Like I clear events fine but this X torment was the first one I cleared and it took a lot of firepower.

That's what it seems like. So if less than 5star abilities aren't gonna hack it in there, I'd rather just keep saving orbs for what I'll need.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

way to go steve posted:

That's what it seems like. So if less than 5star abilities aren't gonna hack it in there, I'd rather just keep saving orbs for what I'll need.

I cleared D250 without using any 5* abilities (or Wall), but my team was more or less fairly strongly set-up for a lot of debuffing.

EDIT: I just remembered that I had Bahamut, but I used it only for trash-clearing.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 30, 2017

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That Cid mission was hilariously easy.

Holy Weak boss in FFT? The land of a dozen Knights?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wiegraf was pretty vicious though. multiple aoe stops during the fight and his starting cronies can throw out interrupts.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Looking way ahead to 2nd Anniversary for Global, I remembered that JPN side got 3 "Super Lucky Draws," each for one day only, with the themes being SSB Curaga-level Medicas, EnElements, and Bursts. The reason I bring it up is because should we be expecting the same deal over here or have we gotten those lucky draws previously? I remember being super-indecisive about a Burst-Only lucky Draw we had a while back (that some of you thankfully talked me into hitting up), but did that count as our equivalent to JPN's?

I'm trying to determine mythril budgeting for the next two months. It's all just assumptions at this point, but we usually have at least some parity with banners, so I figured I'd try asking.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
We won't know til the anniversary itself, but I don't think they'll remove the Burst Lucky - while not exactly unfair to us, they'll probably get some complaint about it since getting it early means we missed out on some potential Bursts in the pool.

The Enelement LD wasn't SSB-only in JP. If they don't tweak that, then there'll be a few duds in there, like Lightning's.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Global has had a few cases where it's thrown together unique or exclusive special banners. The Golden Coliseum event-themed banners were unique to Global, for example, whether they were bad or not, and I believe we started getting realm lucky draws before JP did. While I don't think we ought to assume anything about the Anniversary, it could be absolutely identical (minus the obligatory festival banner reshuffling of course) or it could be completely different, with the only shared commonality being that there are five fest banners, there's definitely no reason to assume the BSB lucky draw got moved ahead of schedule. It was almost definitely a Black Friday-exclusive event.

In other news, I ran the event MP fights with someone packing Orlandeau's OSB and BSB both and it was nice being gobsmacked by BSB entry numbers and effects rather than burst commands for the first time in a while.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cowcaster posted:

wiegraf was pretty vicious though. multiple aoe stops during the fight and his starting cronies can throw out interrupts.

I actually found Wirgraf to be stupidly easy too; like I cast one heal the entire fight, and it was a round 2 Curada to get a bubble up.

Had Beatrix hit Gaia Cross (with Lionheart RM) until BSB, and Cid Raines doing his Cid Raines thing and the boss mostly melted. Onion Knight and Leon did maybe 75k between both of them (the former hitting Full Break on the Knight and Wiegraf to tag medals, followed by burst command, and Leon hitting Lifesiphon to theoretically charge his BSB which he never cast.)

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I cleared D250 without using any 5* abilities (or Wall), but my team was more or less fairly strongly set-up for a lot of debuffing.

EDIT: I just remembered that I had Bahamut, but I used it only for trash-clearing.

That's promising. I was actually pretty annoyed that I didn't get a medica or agrias' attack/mag debuff on my two tactics pulls. Seems like stackable debuffs are pretty powerful.

Getting mustadio levelled so I can use his penta break, still figuring out what I'm going to want my team to look like.

I'll take a crack at these ultimates tomorrow, hopefully they won't be too humbling.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
All ults down on the first try. Even the Cid Mission. Orlandeau's BSB is... Godlike.

Wiegraf killed Y'shtola right before I killed him but everyone else was fine. Orlandeau's 2nd BSB command fulfilled the dark requirement. I ignored the monk and knight other than pinging them with Power Breakdown once in a while and Full Breakdown once at the beginning for the mastery requirement.

Oh yeah and Gilgamesh BSB handled the counterattacks.

Orlandeau at 99 with realm synergy is completely overpowered. I can't believe how ridiculous he is.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Wiegraf was pretty easy but I have stupid realm synergy after chasing the OSB so meh.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Just a heads up for MP Cuchulainn, apparently bio and bioga (both normal and ultimate varieties) are not coded as BLK, only biora is, so you should probably leave Celes and Exdeath at home. I, of course, brought both.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Well ok, I'll take this from a dollar pull.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Steal Heart is really good guys.

When I can get Ultimate++ bosses to do sub 1K damage I know I pulled a winner.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I hit Gaffgarion in the 160 battle with a 99999.

tc65 if anyone wants a level 99 Orlandeau OSB

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
Fortunately you can debuff him pretty effectively. The status effects are a bigger problem.

There are an awful lot of Orlandeaus floating around right now and unlike most characters, it's hard to do the wrong thing with the guy, so I think clearing with pubbies is a much more viable option than usual. I cleared with a team that had four of them and a Ramza and it went pretty quickly, it turns out the boss is weak to getting hit for 90k damaqe.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I've drawn on TG 2 and Summoner banner, because gently caress it, why not.

I got Delita's armour, and Hope last remaining SSB i needed and Seymour's BSB on the latter.

A pretty good haul, I'd say. Now I am mithril dry!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I've got 100 mythril, and I sorta wanna pull on Banner 2 buuuut, I'm looking ahead towards the next AnnOorbfest.
I think I'll just hold on until then.

unless another 25 mythril pull shows up, I cant resist those

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
MP blob boss has not been kind so far. Had one run where we did great on mitigation but couldn't really get our damage going, then the next group where we actually had our poo poo together but all the ailments ever were proc'ing. Thought it was kinda funny, though. I brought Orlandeau and Vann, and both of them were the last characters standing. Orlandeau bit it after being put to sleep before his BSB could go off, then Vaan got to square off solo at the end. Between Thief's Revenge, Ark Blast, and that poison resist amulet, we actually pulled out the win. No mastery because of KO's, but still felt pretty drat good.

Not sure a wall is really useful for this fight. The damage isn't an issue until the end, when I'm pretty sure the very weak phase attacks bypass resistance anyway. Those group status ailments are a bitch, though.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I'm going to be without internet access from 2/5 to 2/12 - am I going to miss anything permanently? I'll make sure to be fully caught up by the time I leave but I'm hoping that window doesn't completely cover an event or something.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bilperkins2 posted:

I'm going to be without internet access from 2/5 to 2/12 - am I going to miss anything permanently? I'll make sure to be fully caught up by the time I leave but I'm hoping that window doesn't completely cover an event or something.

Shouldn't miss anything. Other han orbfest phases, just about everything is 10 days.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah Cuchulainn has a lot of forced turns where he just tries to throw status (he does Sleep > Slow > Silence every 7th turn starting from his 5th), the question is whether or not you can dodge them.

Gaffagrion was a bit tougher than I would have liked (thanks to my near non-existent synergy), but pulled it off. Should have just done a Cid OSB RW to melt him, but what's done is done.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

HPanda posted:

MP blob boss has not been kind so far. Had one run where we did great on mitigation but couldn't really get our damage going, then the next group where we actually had our poo poo together but all the ailments ever were proc'ing. Thought it was kinda funny, though. I brought Orlandeau and Vann, and both of them were the last characters standing. Orlandeau bit it after being put to sleep before his BSB could go off, then Vaan got to square off solo at the end. Between Thief's Revenge, Ark Blast, and that poison resist amulet, we actually pulled out the win. No mastery because of KO's, but still felt pretty drat good.

Not sure a wall is really useful for this fight. The damage isn't an issue until the end, when I'm pretty sure the very weak phase attacks bypass resistance anyway. Those group status ailments are a bitch, though.

As has been said a lot, the goon discord is the place to go for raids.

I helped 3 or 4 teams run the 200 diff fight last night and we won every time.

PROTIP: Ask if anyone has Affliction Break. It makes that fight effortless. It's still doable without Affliction Break but it just takes longer and is more annoying.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
U+ CM (thanks Tactics for having Knights) and U++ (thanks Raines BSB for existing) down already. Now for the MP fight...

Johnny Aztec posted:

I've got 100 mythril, and I sorta wanna pull on Banner 2 buuuut, I'm looking ahead towards the next AnnOorbfest.
I think I'll just hold on until then.

unless another 25 mythril pull shows up, I cant resist those
I'm holding off on drawing on Summoner or either Tactics banner! You can do it!

I'm drawing on IV though

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Man, with that Terra OSB she really has become a great nuclear option. I was able to party solo multiplayer Cuch with her as my main damager, just had Vaan and Agrias in for mitigation. Gave her wrath, and raines BSB, and OK was my support. Just charged up that bar and it was lights out for that guy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I decided to do a pull on the summoner banner instead of saving my mythril and Got Rydia and Ashe's BSBs :unsmith:

Ashe's BSB is still good right? Is Rydia's any good?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Beat the gauntlet and Gaffgarion. Not too bad, glad I had Arc's Blink yet again. Unsure about Wiegraf, is it better to just focus him down or to work on his pals? Mage team with Cid Raines BSB a good call? Probably is, but I only have a single mage stick for Tactics and it's primarily for White Magic.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Alxprit posted:

Beat the gauntlet and Gaffgarion. Not too bad, glad I had Arc's Blink yet again. Unsure about Wiegraf, is it better to just focus him down or to work on his pals? Mage team with Cid Raines BSB a good call? Probably is, but I only have a single mage stick for Tactics and it's primarily for White Magic.

Raines BSB annihilates him.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

IcePhoenix posted:

I decided to do a pull on the summoner banner instead of saving my mythril and Got Rydia and Ashe's BSBs :unsmith:

Ashe's BSB is still good right? Is Rydia's any good?

Ashe's very, very good. Higher than average potency, self heal, it's all good.

Rydia is simple, but perfectly serviceable. Biggest selling point is probably being Summon Magic, rather than Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Haha wow, RW Raines BSB absolutely annihilates Wiegraf. It didn't hurt I had the following party for magic boosting, breaking, and mitigation:

Krile for Sheepsong
Alphinaud for Deployment Tactics
Keeper for SG
Eiko for Prayer of the Lost
Mustadio for Heart Piercer

I don't think a single party member dropped below 50% health before I beat him.

• Locked thread