Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I ran SM ToS with a few pugs last night. While I'm happy that Operations drop unassembled pieces now, I am disappointed that SM ToS is Grade 230 crap. That will reinforce the all KP/EV all the time again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Archonex posted:

I still think the old fan theory on how to handle that was the best. If you kill him you get a replacement imperial officer that's slightly more nervous and obsequious than he is. If you force choke him to death for whatever reason you get one that's even more nervous and sycophantic. If you kill that guy too then you get a total nervous basket case who can barely even make a simple report to you without making GBS threads his pants in terror because he knows that you basically eat people like him for breakfast.

Basically just run through an increasingly generic and nervous list of imperial officers Vader style to highlight how hosed the dark side end of the Imperial military is.

Though apparently if you romance Quinn he's outright begging you to do it when you figure out what his game is. From the cinematics i've seen he basically does a complete 180 on being such an rear end in a top hat too. Unless you decide to run his face along the bulkheads for a few minutes as punishment. In which case he acts like you did him a "favor" by hurting him while sparing him. Which is all kinds of messed up.

While I usually play female Warriors who do romance Quinn , when I went on a unlock every species binge, I did give a non-romance playthrough a go just to see if it was different. The dialog choices you make really do make a difference from what I've seen. For the romanced, Quinn goes through a progression of starting off uptight and gradually breaking away from that to showing his feelings a bit more. With the Betrayal, he didn't want to have to choose but it was forced on him and considering he's the Average Guy caught between two powerful feuding Sith Lords, he pretty much figured either way his rear end was grass so he pretty much went the route of where he's likely to get a quick and overwith death than a Baras torture-a-thon. For the non-romanced, Quinn stays a pretty by the book Imperial officer who realizes he hosed up royally and doubles down on his loyalty knowing he still can get killed off on a whim.

What I don't understand with all the hate is that the passage of time for the classic chapters is something like ten years (can't remember where I read that), not counting the five frozen in carbonite so keeping that much of a hate on for a pixelated character just makes no sense to me at all even trying to look at it through a role-play angle.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

While I usually play female Warriors who do romance Quinn , when I went on a unlock every species binge, I did give a non-romance playthrough a go just to see if it was different. The dialog choices you make really do make a difference from what I've seen. For the romanced, Quinn goes through a progression of starting off uptight and gradually breaking away from that to showing his feelings a bit more. With the Betrayal, he didn't want to have to choose but it was forced on him and considering he's the Average Guy caught between two powerful feuding Sith Lords, he pretty much figured either way his rear end was grass so he pretty much went the route of where he's likely to get a quick and overwith death than a Baras torture-a-thon. For the non-romanced, Quinn stays a pretty by the book Imperial officer who realizes he hosed up royally and doubles down on his loyalty knowing he still can get killed off on a whim.

What I don't understand with all the hate is that the passage of time for the classic chapters is something like ten years (can't remember where I read that), not counting the five frozen in carbonite so keeping that much of a hate on for a pixelated character just makes no sense to me at all even trying to look at it through a role-play angle.

You still get mad at me and it's been like 10 years since I slept with your dad, sheesh.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I don't mind that they re-use assets for the Uprisings, it's actually a pretty smart way to give new content with minimal resources, but damned if that Trench Runner one didn't give me flashbacks to HM EC running days.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

You still get mad at me and it's been like 10 years since I slept with your dad, sheesh.

But it all blurs together after a while, I can't keep any of you in the pecking order anymore. LOL.

Though seriously, I was mostly thinking of the ones on the SWTOR forums who post some pretty detailed graphic torture stuff on what they want to do to Quinn. I figure some of it's just to get a rise out of the people who like him but with how 'spergy some of the posters are, I kinda wonder about them.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Ahh poor Quinn the Salvatore Tessio of the ToR universe. Makes the smart and logical choice of backing the more powerful player at the time but it bites him in the rear end in the end.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Ahh poor Quinn the Salvatore Tessio of the ToR universe. Makes the smart and logical choice of backing the more powerful player at the time but it bites him in the rear end in the end.

:golfclap:

Now that was a reference I would've never expected seeing pop up.

"Vette, any way I can get out of this?"

"No, Quinn."

"Tell my Lord, it was only business..."

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I just picked up Quinn as a companion and my female Sith Warrior has continually rejected all [flirt] options because ewww? And he has face cancer

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It's a beauty spot, now keep your Jeeves prim and proper for that boring behind-the-scenes stuff.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I just want Quinn back so I can perform more cybernetic tests on him. HK-Jorgan is alright, but I need something a bit more special for Quinn.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

A detail of the Quinn story that usually gets overlooked is, Baras has had that dude's back for years before you met him, saved his career and probably his life. They're friends, to the extent that either of them has friends. It's not just pragmatism that makes his choice difficult. He's caught in a war between his two most trusted allies, and obviously feels pretty messed up about it.

He's not my favorite companion in the game, but I don't hate the guy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nerd Of Prey posted:

A detail of the Quinn story that usually gets overlooked is, Baras has had that dude's back for years before you met him, saved his career and probably his life. They're friends, to the extent that either of them has friends. It's not just pragmatism that makes his choice difficult. He's caught in a war between his two most trusted allies, and obviously feels pretty messed up about it.

He's not my favorite companion in the game, but I don't hate the guy.

Dammit I hate when people post logic. Almost makes me feel bad for leaving Quinn and Skadge in the Bantha room cleaning up the carpet on Tattooine.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If betrayal isn't punished by death this whole empire falls apart.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Reinstalled. Resubbed premium. Logged in, looked at my character, logged out. Totally overwhelmed with reading changes to the game. I don't even know how to start playing again. I've played all of the storylines and have level 60s of all the classes. Where do I even start?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SERPUS posted:

Reinstalled. Resubbed premium. Logged in, looked at my character, logged out. Totally overwhelmed with reading changes to the game. I don't even know how to start playing again. I've played all of the storylines and have level 60s of all the classes. Where do I even start?

If you start Knights of the Fallen Empire with one of your level 60s there's a tutorial mode which slowly introduces your moveset back to you. KOTFE/KOTET (Story Mode) are designed to be played extremely casually with a minimal of challenging game mechanics. If you're not interested in story, what do you WANT to do? PvP? Raid? What type of character do you want to play? Give us some insight and we can help guide you.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
A reminder that about 2 weeks remain on this:

Aleth posted:

:love::love::love: Oh look, it's time for ANOTHER CONTEST! :love::love::love:

Medullah wants to unload some poo poo from the bank so for those of you who haven't noticed the guild motd he wants to see your best Space-Valentine costume! Bonus points for effective set dressing. Alternatively maybe you hate Valentines? Feel free to express your utter lack of a lovelife distaste for this shameless attempt to cash in on romance and promotion of immorality by dressing with appropriate modesty and instead show off your own personal snub to the smug cherub bastard!

:love:Prizes!:love:
Whatever is left in/donated to the memorial vault. Last check this included numerous companion handler licenses, various mounts and the best regen item in the game!

:love:Deadline!:love:
TBA, probably Valentines day though!

:love:Entries!:love:

M_Sinistrari

RescueFreak

Plenty of prizes in the vault for more than the two entries we currently have!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Aleth posted:

A reminder that about 2 weeks remain on this:

Plenty of prizes in the vault for more than the two entries we currently have!
I don't think I ought to be allowed to participate, given that I won the previous contest, but I might whip something up just for the hell of it next weekend or the one after.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
You can enter just fine and if you win a second fabulous prize it might just encourage some of the other layabouts to enter next time!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Have I mentioned just how disappointed I was in you guys to see that some games people actually play seem to have gotten their threads stickied, yet this one has not?

For gently caress's sake, even Star Trek Online got a stickied thread, and that game is nothing but ERPers and people who troll ERPers.

What the hell is going on in here?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Believe me, those of us in the sto thread were just as aghast as you that it got stickied.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

People don't play this game. No need to sticky it.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I'm playing it right now you liar!

Edit: Rakghouls on Alderaan which is also conveniently Conquest target for Heroic and PvP boosts.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 31, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

I'm playing it right now you liar!

Edit: Rakghouls on Alderaan which is also conveniently Conquest target for Heroic and PvP boosts.

Did you set Invasion? I won't be able to until after work

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yup, on Imp side anyway.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I got pub side

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
how many people are playing on the pub side?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Normally a few. I think the most I have seen at any given time is 4-5.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

A Curvy Goonette posted:

how many people are playing on the pub side?

I do on occasion, along with sometimes playing over on Harbinger.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So I just found out you can invite people to help you in KOTFE/KOTET chapters. They don't get credit for it, but you can swap - 10-15 minutes to do Master Mode chapter one and I got 1265 CXP for it.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I got 1265 CXP for it.

"They are going to increase the rate we gain CXP so we can be more frequently dissapointed by command crates with nothing useful in them."

Stolen from the comments of Dulfy.net.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

"They are going to increase the rate we gain CXP so we can be more frequently dissapointed by command crates with nothing useful in them."

Stolen from the comments of Dulfy.net.

Supposedly they're making some more announcements this week about how they're going to continue to make it easier.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
You know what's an even easier way of scoring some sweet loot? Entering the loving valentines contest.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I had an entry all ready to go, but TBH it doesn't look quite right with the new Tracer Missile animation.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Datamined info's starting to hit the usual sites. Not sure which one's considered more reliable than the others.

We might be seeing the return of Malgus.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

Datamined info's starting to hit the usual sites. Not sure which one's considered more reliable than the others.

We might be seeing the return of Malgus.

I'll spoil despite it being HEAVY speculation (okay and well some actual confirmed stuff) they think that based on some dialogue on Iokath that mentions a betrayer. Before you get too worked up, don't forget that the two confirmed companions returning are Elaara and Quinn, both of whom are betrayers.

Would be pretty tits though.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

I'll spoil despite it being HEAVY speculation (okay and well some actual confirmed stuff) they think that based on some dialogue on Iokath that mentions a betrayer. Before you get too worked up, don't forget that the two confirmed companions returning are Elaara and Quinn, both of whom are betrayers.

Would be pretty tits though.

We're probably both looking at some of the same sites for info. Not sure if it's just me but everything I've read really is making me think KotET was supposed to be released like KotFT was with the installments if just half the stuff I'm reading's legit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

We're probably both looking at some of the same sites for info. Not sure if it's just me but everything I've read really is making me think KotET was supposed to be released like KotFT was with the installments if just half the stuff I'm reading's legit.

I don't think so. They said right from the very beginning that they did take the feedback that people didn't like the chapters being released a month apart, and decided to go with all 9 chapters being dropped at once. This meant a lot less "filler" missions which were essentially extended companion recruitment missions.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

I don't think so. They said right from the very beginning that they did take the feedback that people didn't like the chapters being released a month apart, and decided to go with all 9 chapters being dropped at once. This meant a lot less "filler" missions which were essentially extended companion recruitment missions.

I'm just getting this would've been a meatier chapter vibe from this one.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
I'd also say the monthly chapters weren't doing anything to retain subs and probably cost dev resources that could be spent on content that would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think this is going to be more like Oricon. A story line that has a few nice cinematics that becomes a daily area after the first run through. Which I'm good with.

• Locked thread