Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Guys i think that is probably a troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Well that was a profitable little trip:

Never again :suicide101:

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Looks like a refugee from the RSI forums to me.....

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Passenger missions are awesome

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Got my name on an orange giant star today and one with a catalogue name and barely outside the bubble at that.

Pretty big compared to the Sun at similar range -

But still a tiny gnat compared to VY Canis Majoris

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Mike the TV posted:

How does one run the Beluga effectively, anyway? It seems like the missions that are worth taking are ones that go way out there, and I assume you can't really stack those effectively. Or can you? Is there some overlap between "passenger missions you can pile up to take advantage of the Beluga's internal space" and "missions that aren't dogshit-worthless wastes of time"?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Sard posted:

How does one run the Beluga effectively, anyway? It seems like the missions that are worth taking are ones that go way out there, and I assume you can't really stack those effectively. Or can you? Is there some overlap between "passenger missions you can pile up to take advantage of the Beluga's internal space" and "missions that aren't dogshit-worthless wastes of time"?

I don't use a Beluga or Orca, and I don't mission stack. I run around in an Asp from the system that I'm allied with everyone in. I have one size 6 first class cabin and that's sufficient for all the high payout missions.

I also only take the short-range sightseeing missions with 3-4 stops. This lets me finish a 5-20 million mission in under 30 minutes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mike the TV posted:

"See I've got this PAL keycard"

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Sard posted:

I did a bunch of passenger missions with an Asp that had a Class 6 Cabin.

2-3 Jumps, Visit Point, repeat, return home. Earn $10 mill.

I'm not sure what extra cabins would give you. The points are always so spread out I don't think stacking would be viable.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Theoretically, it seems like you could mission scum for a few hours, find a half dozen or so explorer passenger missions to the core (or to some other popular long-range sightseeing destination), then take your Beluga out into the black for the next month. Maybe make half a billion for your troubles, if you got lucky on payouts...?

Sounds like it would be a headache to set up, though, and an unfun slog to carry out.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 29, 2017

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Man I love spending hours refreshing the mission boards waiting for Marco Quent to float to the top like a turd in the toilet this is engrossing gameplay

But of course I can't store the modular terminals I have anywhere I've got to haul them around everywhere I go with every two bit pirate hassling me for a mighty 4000 credit cargo oooh aahhh

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mike the TV posted:

I don't use a Beluga or Orca, and I don't mission stack. I run around in an Asp from the system that I'm allied with everyone in. I have one size 6 first class cabin and that's sufficient for all the high payout missions.

I also only take the short-range sightseeing missions with 3-4 stops. This lets me finish a 5-20 million mission in under 30 minutes.

Sometimes I can take two missions at the same time in an Asp-E, one in the Class 6 First Class cabin and one in a Business Class that I think I have in a size 4 slot. Since I'm working from a station that's kind of on the edge of the bubble, the destination systems tend to be pretty close together. I just did two at the same time that were three stops each, and the #1, 2, and 3 stops for each were within one jump of each other. It's not at all necessary, though.

I wish the Beluga or Orca had more going for it. I like the idea of a passenger-specific ship but the jump range being so weak makes them not very attractive.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

adamantium|wang posted:

Man I love spending hours refreshing the mission boards waiting for Marco Quent to float to the top like a turd in the toilet this is engrossing gameplay

But of course I can't store the modular terminals I have anywhere I've got to haul them around everywhere I go with every two bit pirate hassling me for a mighty 4000 credit cargo oooh aahhh

Such RNG is totally legit gameplay, not a bullshit time wasting smoke and mirrors game by Frontier in lieu of any new content :spergin:

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

I wish the Beluga or Orca had more going for it. I like the idea of a passenger-specific ship but the jump range being so weak makes them not very attractive.

That and the way PAX missions work. It's to my mind to difficult to get into the bulk PAX business. (Transport 50 zourists from A to B). You'll get a fragmented lot. 10 to A, 10 to B and 30 to C-F.

Peach Pusher
Apr 15, 2003

You're Armpit
I just got this game. Is there a problem with Ceramic Composites not showing in the markets? Galactic map trade data shows that the Ekuru system exports it, then the system info shows the surface refinery Titov Vision exports it but there's nothing in the market. Not even a listing to sell it. Then I looked it up on Eddb.io and that also said I should be able to buy it at Titov Vision. What am I missing?

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Peach Pusher posted:

I just got this game. Is there a problem with Ceramic Composites not showing in the markets? Galactic map trade data shows that the Ekuru system exports it, then the system info shows the surface refinery Titov Vision exports it but there's nothing in the market. Not even a listing to sell it. Then I looked it up on Eddb.io and that also said I should be able to buy it at Titov Vision. What am I missing?

Could be out of stock temporarily. Check a few other selling systems. Eddb.io data is often time lagged and the GBS can occasionally (very roughly) simulate market conditions through these sorts of things.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zest posted:

Could be out of stock temporarily. Check a few other selling systems. Eddb.io data is often time lagged and the GBS can occasionally (very roughly) simulate market conditions through these sorts of things.

I wouldn't trust GBS to simulate a lemonade stand.

Zest
May 7, 2007

Dabir posted:

Well, there's that too. GBS or bug, same difference, station stock can swing wildly and erratically. Just keep looking :shobon:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Zest posted:

Well, there's that too. GBS or bug, same difference, station stock can swing wildly and erratically. Just keep looking :shobon:

I think you missed the joke.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

Dabir posted:

Which sucks because that's where the money is.

crayon85
Dec 25, 2013

Lima posted:

Got my name on an orange giant star today and one with a catalogue name and barely outside the bubble at that.

Pretty big compared to the Sun at similar range -

But still a tiny gnat compared to VY Canis Majoris

What's the fastest you can go and still be scooping? I've been scooping at about 2-3c before I think but haven't tried VY Canis Majoris yet.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

crayon85 posted:

What's the fastest you can go and still be scooping? I've been scooping at about 2-3c before I think but haven't tried VY Canis Majoris yet.

Instead of speed scooping you can also just drop closer to the star and park yourself at 30km/sec. It's the same effect and comes with a bonus: You're less likely to suddenly plough into the star after a pilot error.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

TheKeeper posted:

Which sucks because that's where the money is.

There's always money in the banana stand.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

crayon85 posted:

You can scoop at any speed. It's distance from the star that matters. At higher speeds it's harder to stay close enough to scoop smaller stars, or accidentally plow into the star.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crayon85 posted:

I don't think speed will ever stop you scooping so long as you're close enough to a star. Slowing down to 30 space whatevers and going AFK to get a drink/snack at a distance where you won't critically overheat is how you survive with a 3A scoop or smaller because those are... not fast.

You might gently caress up and crash into it though but who hasn't done that late at night while flying drunk?

crayon85
Dec 25, 2013

Libluini posted:

Instead of speed scooping you can also just drop closer to the star and park yourself at 30km/sec. It's the same effect and comes with a bonus: You're less likely to suddenly plough into the star after a pilot error.

Agreed, I was wondering the highest figure. I noticed that if it's a giant you can be wazzing around it at several times the speed of light scooping away and just wondered how fast people had been. Anything to relieve the tedium!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The real trick is to realise that the star you're diving into is actually a supergiant and not a red dwarf before get pulled out of supercruise with your cockpit on fire.

I mean sure "but the star is huge" is a giveaway but if you're doing a couple hundred jumps you stop paying attention pretty quickly.
(or maybe that is just me)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
At least black holes are really easy to detect. Every time there is nothing when you jump out of witchspace. Easy to remember to pull the brakes. And thanks to the latest graphical upgrades, white dwarfs and neutron stars have joined the league of niceness. (Seriously, back before cones were a thing I plowed into them all the goddamn time.)

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

The Elite: Dangerous Role Playing Game on Kickstarter looks like it could be a lot of fun if you like pen & paper RPGs:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/edrpg/elite-dangerous-role-playing-game/

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The perfect RPG for every rear end in a top hat DM out there!

:spergin: "You jump out of hyperspace to find One-Eyed Jake, Pirate Scourge of the Sector!"
:v: "Ok, I'll quickly turn around and start charging my frame shift drive to..."
:spergin: "NO! Your frame shift drive doesn't work now."
:v: "What? Why?"
:spergin: "It just doesn't. There's like gravity interference or something. So what do you do?"
:v: "Ok, then I'll deploy my pulse lasers and..."
:spergin: "Your pulse lasers don't work!"
:v: "How? Everything was fine until no..."
:spergin: "STOP RUINING MY IMMERSIVE STORY, STEVE!"

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Mailer posted:

:spergin: "You jump out of hyperspace to find One-Eyed Jake, Pirate Scourge of the Sector!"
:v: "Ok, I'll quickly turn around and start charging my frame shift drive to..."
:spergin: "It just doesn't. There's like gravity interference or something. So what do you do?"

"You land on the ammonia world, and come across an enchanted piss forest! Golden pissy trees, as far as the eye can pee!"

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
"you spend the next hour in real time in super cruise, what do you want to do?"
"what IS there to do?"
"well..nothing"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ok it's going to take you ten minutes to reach the station and dock. Hold this wooden block that represents your joystick and keep it level. I'll leave a plastic token on the top and if it falls off the ten minutes resets from the beginning

*presses START on stopwatch*

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

:spergin: "Your space harem alerts you to-
:stonk: "I don't have a space harem!!!"
:spergin: "SHUT UP STEVE! Your space harem alerts you to a hail from a sleek and beatiful in every way alien ship"
:stonk: "I errr respond to the hail"
:spergin: "A beatiful in every way carnivorous space elf appears on the main screen"
:stonk: "..."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ok I have some miniatures to assist us with our tabletop gaming session of Elite Dangerous.

*pulls out sports bag stuffed with explicit hentai dolls from Japan*

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Rectus posted:

"You land on the ammonia world, and come across an enchanted piss forest! Golden pissy trees, as far as the eye can pee!"

A Trumpeesian paradise.

Zest
May 7, 2007

Mailer posted:

Sandro Simulator 2017?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Zest posted:

Sandro Simulator 2017?

Sandro would force you to roll dice 30 times before you do any action.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
Using anything more than a D6 is ruining this RPG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mailer posted:

DM: "Okay, you're fuel scooping. Going to be about two and a half minutes to get to full"
Player: "I check navigation. How many jumps to my destination are left?"
DM: "7"
Player: "Okay, uh...more power to shields?"
DM: "Done"
Player: "No, you know what, I don't like that, power back to engines"
DM: "Done"
Player: "uh, how many jumps was it to my destination? I check navigation again"
DM: "STILL 7"

• Locked thread