Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
CBC now confirming that there is only one suspect and that the other arrested party is a witness. They didn't say who was whom though. Under the circumstances, I'm inclined to suspect that Bissonnette was the shooter, but I suppose that will be confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
If you want to follow a reporter who is covering this story with due diligence and appropriate caution, I suggest Les Perreaux https://twitter.com/perreaux

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

SpacePope posted:

gently caress, I actually had classes with Bissonnette 3-4 years ago. I can't remember anything like that ever happening here in the past 10-15 years and it's pretty loving awful. I don't really remember the guy but one of our anthropology professor goes to that mosque. Haven't seen the name of any of the victims and I hope he's ok.

Apparently, one of the victims was a university professor :(

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

David Corbett posted:

Apparently, one of the victims was a university professor :(

Where did you see this?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

SpacePope posted:

Where did you see this?

Main story on the Globe's website, citing an unnamed community leader. Maybe this would go towards unravelling the shooter's motives?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

SpacePope posted:

Where did you see this?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/quebec-city-mosque-shooting/article33822092/

quote:

Among the men who died was a university professor

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SpacePope posted:

Where did you see this?

gently caress man, I hope it wasn't the same guy you know.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Apparently Trump called JT to offer condolences. "Justin, now you see why we want to get rid of of Muslims!"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I really want to be a fly on the wall during a Trudeau/Trump conversation.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

This has been such a huge shitshow. #quebecshooting is still a cesspool of loving fake news thanks to Reddit and Twitter. The witness is never going to be safe again. God drat I hate the internet sometimes.

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 30, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I urge those of you whose comments include the witness' name to edit them to remove it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The internet's become so convenient, people are now tried, found guilty, and executed without ever needing to set foot in a courtroom.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fart Amplifier posted:

This has been such a huge shitshow. #quebecshooting is still a cesspool of loving fake news thanks to Reddit and Twitter. The witness [--] is never going to be safe again. God drat I hate the internet sometimes.

Tough to be employable as well with a Google Search history like that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lobok posted:

Tough to be employable as well with a Google Search history like that.

I hope sensibility catches up to the Internet era sometime within the next decade or two and this just becomes an accepted possibility during background checks.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Could be worse. His name could've been Omar.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I guess one shooter is confirmed now? I wish media outlet would edit out the other guys name.

https://twitter.com/MetroNewsCanada/status/826125168439394306

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Do we know which is the witness and which is the shooter yet?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

odiv posted:

I urge those of you whose comments include the witness' name to edit them to remove it.

I doubt that will be necessary, especially prior to any confirmation of which arrestee was the shooter. If this develops how I expect it to, however, within six hours I expect Alexandre Bissonnette will be one of the most reviled men in Canada.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do we know which is the witness and which is the shooter yet?

Read the tweet / article above your post.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

pr0zac posted:

Read the tweet / article above your post.

Sorry, twitter is blocked at work, I can't read that :(

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

I dunno if it's the professor I know but he's aged about 50 and he's got 3 kids so it seems to fit. I know he's not the only professor who goes there for his prayer though, so I'm still waiting on a confirmation. I sure hope he's ok.

It's just so sad, I even spoke with the mosque director a year ago about the acts of racism they endured and his experience in the community since he came here...

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Alexandre Bissonnette is identified as the suspect, the other man is the witness

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry, twitter is blocked at work, I can't read that :(

Reasonable!

quote:

Update: Sources have identified the suspect as Alexandre Bissonnette. A man who was previously identified as a suspect is no longer thought to have been involved. An earlier version of this developing story is below.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

pr0zac posted:

Reasonable!

DariusLikewise posted:

Alexandre Bissonnette is identified as the suspect, the other man is the witness

god dammit

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

Where does it say this? Metro claims it but I can't find any corroboration by better agencies - who, even after metro's tweet, insist no such confirmation has been given.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Bissonnette was the one who had a gun in his car and he had no reason to be there. Would be really surprising for it to be the other guy instead of him.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

David Corbett posted:

I doubt that will be necessary
What does this mean?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I would think it's pretty safe to assume the guy with all the guns in his car who called to turn himself in is the suspect.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

David Corbett posted:

Where does it say this? Metro claims it but I can't find any corroboration by better agencies - who, even after metro's tweet, insist no such confirmation has been given.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3213677/quebec-city-mosque-shooting-alleged-gunmen-identified-as-alexandre-bissonnette-mohamed-khadir/

It came from the Quebec Provincial Police.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

bleh

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I want to wring the neck of this little gently caress

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
. wrong thread

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

odiv posted:

What does this mean?

It means, if it was Bissonnette, he will probably be a household name like Paul Bernardo or Timothy McVeigh. The odds of someone confusing one for the other when all is said and done seem very low.

Good enough for me. What a shithead.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 30, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

I want to wring the neck of this little gently caress

Looks like someone already tried, given it looks like his mother hosed a giraffe.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It probably won't have much of an impact, sadly, but the less the witness has linking his name to this shooting the better.

I still don't get how what you're saying has any relevance to that.

edit:
The three critically wounded victims are out of danger says le Soleil:
http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/justice-et-faits-divers/201701/30/01-5064466-tous-les-blesses-hors-de-danger.php

odiv fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 30, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

New Spider-Man movie starts off kinda dark.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

odiv posted:

It probably won't have much of an impact, sadly, but the less the witness has linking his name to this shooting the better.

I still don't get how what you're saying has any relevance to that.

edit:
The three critically wounded victims are out of danger says le Soleil:
http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/justice-et-faits-divers/201701/30/01-5064466-tous-les-blesses-hors-de-danger.php

Very well. I have edited my post.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Thank you. It would be nice if news outlets did the same.

I just have this horrible thought that loving infowars type idiots are going to concoct some conspiracy false-flag nonsense and he will be the lightning rod for their poo poo.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It's time Canada started looking at Steve bannon, breitbart, info Wars and every right wing YouTube personality with the same level of seriousness and active suppression as they do Abu baker al Baghdadi and online iSIS propagandists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, editing posts on something awful dot come will go a long way to deleting a thing off the internet. Some day when someone makes it to page 438 of the google search results for that dude's name, there will be nothing tying the two together except for all of the results in the first 437 pages of results.