Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I wore some Under Armour compression leggings under a cheap set of armored motocross pants today for my rainy, foggy 38 degree commute. My legs were warm enough. Definitely try something like that for warmth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
For the worst days (cold + raining) frogg toggs do work. I keep a pair in my backpack now just in case poo poo happens while im at work. I wasn't a believer cause they make you look loving retarded but they are great

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

MomJeans420 posted:

Well I bought the A* SMX plus vented boots, so I guess Isle of Man TT look it is. Figured I may as well go all out now, and have less protective gear later. Now I have the fun of finding A* leather pants that fit right, apparently they're meant for Italian men who skip leg day. Not that I'm great about leg day, but I think I'll have to get ones loose in the waist from what I can see on the comments. I guess if it zips to your jacket it doesn't matter as much (until you take your jacket off and walk around).

Most modern gear comes with a zipper that can zip to anything :ssh:.

Pick whatever pants fit you best.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
And if they don't zip, they usually come with an extra piece you can sew into the jacket so it will zip. I've still got my Joe Rocket zipper laying around here somewhere.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Installed some heated grips last Friday. I should have done this ages ago. Makes riding in the 40s perfectly comfortable for me.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
On the topic of boots and wearing them, :nms: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1209391-My-dirtbike-accedent-that-just-changed-my-life

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Lynza posted:

Most modern gear comes with a zipper that can zip to anything :ssh:.

Pick whatever pants fit you best.

Holy poo poo, that's a game changer for me. I figured the zippers wouldn't match up or some poo poo, I dunno.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

He writes like he wasn't wearing a helmet either.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

That is why I never wear just work boots or sneakers. feet do not heal well when they get hosed up, there's not enough circulation down there. There's a reason they're the first thing to go on patients with poorly managed diabetes.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

NTM they're real expensive to get fixed and they never work quite right afterward.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Welp, I noped out of that one in record time. When I started riding, even the most basic of explainations of what can happen to feet was enough to get me ATGATT.

There was a new rider in the mountains with us last weekend, on an FZ-07, wearing boat shoes with no socks, hipstered out. He wasn't holding back, either (though getting passed like he was standing still).

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a game changer for me. I figured the zippers wouldn't match up or some poo poo, I dunno.

Even if they don't take them either to a local motorcycle leather repairer or even the local shoe repairer and just get them to sew matching zippers on.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Pikey posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a colder weather riding suit? I have a rev'it leather jacket and BMW riding pans with stylemartin riding shoes, but the bay area is in the 40s right now and with the road wind I'm freezing my balls off. Looking at Revzilla there's only 4 riding suits on offer and none of them look that great and I don't think a racing suit is really the thing I should be looking at for warmth

I ride in the bay area year round. I recommend wearing underpants that are actual pants - you know, underwear going to your socks; undershirt and sweater under the jacket; merino liner under gloves. I use Klim Badlands jacket and pants for rainy days. Otherwise a summer jacket and armored jeans with the above work fine too. I highly recommend heated gloves for highway. Others I know, e.g. z3n, use Aerostitich suit. I am thinking of getting one too - it looks super convenient.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Renaissance Robot posted:

I still say you should replace the mirror stalks with antlers.

e/ if it wasn't clear I think your transalp is one of most aesthetically bitchin' bikes I've ever seen

Haha, thanks. I'm currently working on refreshing it a little. Hitting wear spots on the frame/ rear swingarm with new paint. going back to repainted stock exhaust, rewire electricals for gps/heated grip/extra lights etc.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I've been in the market for a new helmet lately. People have told me that Shoei is a good brand, so I bit the bullet and dropped the big bucks on one. Check it out! It's vintage, so I'll stand out from the crowd wearing their current model helmets :smug:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's actually pretty cool. I had no idea shoei had been making helmets for that long. It's got a chin bar and everything. Gonna look great perched on top of your cafe.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I just caught a whiff of that liner through the screen.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

hey new helmetfriend, I too got a new helmet today

banana yellow. cat for scale. :woop:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I wish Neotechs fit my head. They're the closest modular I've found, but I still end up looking like Peyton Manning after I've had one on for more than 5 minutes.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tactical Lesbian posted:

hey new helmetfriend, I too got a new helmet today

banana yellow. cat for scale. :woop:

Ugh that looks so good! Why does my country only have the lame block colours :arghfist::saddowns: (white, silver, grey, black, matt black)

I mean, I'm really happy with my Tron as gently caress TC-5 because it matches my jacket and is just generally sweet as, but if a candy red or yellow neotec existed here there'd have been no contest (first choice red, either one to have been swiftly adorned with cheesy Topgun-esque decals)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Got my A* SMX plus vented boots, here's a quick review. They fit surprisingly well, I got a size 48 which is officially 12.5 in US sizes, but I wear a 13 and they're great. A tight fit at first, but I wore them for hours tonight and they definitely break in quick. They have nice amenities like the zipper has velcro which sticks it in place, along with the lace tightener. The pretty much look like ski boots, and feel more like snowboard boots, but i wanted foot protection and I feel like it provides a fair amount of that. I can fit most of the boot under a pair of dickies, so they don't look that bad, but once my leather pants come and I have to tuck them in, they will look slightly ridiculous.

The vents are actually very effective, they're almost too effective in the mid-50s in LA at speeds above 40mph. I think my fashion high tops keep my feet way warmer, but not protected at all. The biggest surprise is how much they gently caress up my muscle memory when I'm riding. I may be one of the few sport bike riders who's a big rear brake fan, but on my first trip out they really hosed up my rear brake feel. I stalled at a stop sign trying to go uphill because apparently I used too much rear brake compared to my clutch / throttle usage, and I must have dragged the rear brake enough to stall the engine. I was able to compensate with more throttle after that, but I didn't realize how much of my riding skills were based on very minor variations in clutch / throttle feel. It's probably one of those things like trying to ride without gloves now, it just fucks me up, but my first 20 mins on the bike today felt like I was learning all over again.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Please post a review when you get them. I'm looking to get a pair and have been considering those.

Aight. So I got these guys https://www.amazon.com/UCLEAR-Digital-Definition-Speakers-Compatible/dp/B00RW10WBC/

On my 800 mile round trip I tried two audio books and some metal music with ear plugs in. I was able to hear the first audio book with no problems (Trevor Noah can enunciate), but not the second (David Sedaris is too mild). Metal came through fine. That was with the brappy aftermarket exhaust of my WR250X. I tried the second audio book on the quieter Brutale 800, and it was still too quiet. I am thinking of getting a small amp. In conclusion if you want headphones just for music, and that music is not the subtle contemplative kind, look no further.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pokie posted:

Aight. So I got these guys https://www.amazon.com/UCLEAR-Digital-Definition-Speakers-Compatible/dp/B00RW10WBC/

On my 800 mile round trip I tried two audio books and some metal music with ear plugs in. I was able to hear the first audio book with no problems (Trevor Noah can enunciate), but not the second (David Sedaris is too mild). Metal came through fine. That was with the brappy aftermarket exhaust of my WR250X. I tried the second audio book on the quieter Brutale 800, and it was still too quiet. I am thinking of getting a small amp. In conclusion if you want headphones just for music, and that music is not the subtle contemplative kind, look no further.

Nice. I've been waiting for this. I generally only listen to music, and usually pretty heavy stuff for riding. Thanks a bunch.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Coydog posted:

That's actually pretty cool. I had no idea shoei had been making helmets for that long. It's got a chin bar and everything. Gonna look great perched on top of your cafe.
Yup yup. My grandfather is selling his house - family has been born and raised there since the early 1900's - so there's tons of cool poo poo left behind by my aunts and uncles. That helmet was my uncle's from back in the day. There is also a huge chest FULL of Motorcyclist magazines (100+) from the 70's-90's. I live on the other side of the coast but I've tasked someone with getting those magazines for me.

Here's a small snippet of helmet analyses from a '89 edition:

Once I physically get my hands on them I'll flip through and post any cool stuff I find.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I need a new helmet and am debating picking up an Arai Signet-Q on closeout or just springing for the -X.

Any long oval head types have the new Signet-X that can compare to a Signet-Q? Tried both on at a Cycle Gear while I was in San Francisco for work, seems like it's a lot harder to get your head into the X, but it fits decent once it's on. Could be a bit of a bitch if you wear earbuds. Not sure how they compare longer term.

Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has an Icon Airframe Pro, too. I'm kinda leery of Icon stuff since it used to be all show, no go, and there's no one around me who carries their helmets.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pokie posted:

In ear headphones for lyfe

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Shure for life. https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-CL-Isolating-Earphones-MicroDriver/dp/B004PNZFZ8?th=1

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

:hfive:

Listening to Hardcore History makes traveling on I-5 bearable.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I have the SE315 variant, I really like them. I'll never drop cash on any in-ears without replaceable cables ever again.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Z3n posted:

Outlawed in FL :(

Earplugs are legal though :argh:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I have not yet encountered a set of earphones that don't hurt my ears a lot. Also ear phones don't provide noise protection afaik. So unfortunately not a practical option for me. I might try those musicians' earphones that are inside ear plugs at some point.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pokie posted:

I have not yet encountered a set of earphones that don't hurt my ears a lot. Also ear phones don't provide noise protection afaik. So unfortunately not a practical option for me. I might try those musicians' earphones that are inside ear plugs at some point.

I use MEElectronics M6 Pro. I think Kozmonaut or Tactical Lesbian recommended them to me as a cheaper alternative to the Shure SE215s. They're good, but can get painful after a few hours. They have about 6 different pairs of tips, all sound isolating, but one set is the expandable foam that earplugs are made of. They're not as good as earplugs, but way better than nothing. Depending on your helmet, wind is too loud around 55 mph. Still the best I've found inside a helmet (compared to Skullcandy, iFrogs, and a couple others). In-ear monitors in general usually provide at least a modicum of noise reduction.

They come with 2 cables, sound profile is flat, overall excellent gear in my non-audiophile opinion. I wear them daily off the bike.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

Outlawed in FL :(

Earplugs are legal though :argh:
I doubt they'll care. They're illegal in GA too, but I've been pulled over 4 (5?) times with them in and cops have never said a word to me about it. Fun fact: dragging knee is illegal here too. Something about anything not attached to the bike being dragged on the ground.

pokie posted:

Definitely give IEM's (in-ear monitors) a shot. I have a custom molded pair of Westone ES10's and they're loving amazing. Those are obviously way, way, way overkill just for a biek, but you can find a good pair of Shures (some linked here) for about $100. As someone with tinnitus, IEMs or earplugs are the only things I feel comfortable wearing on a bike. They block way more noise than $10 skullcandys, and sound quality is far superior. There's a reason musicians use them. I shoot video in clubs on occasion and I use them to monitor my mic without destroying my ears. Average dB in a nightclub is around ~100dB, which is right around the same loudness as wind noise with a fullface. Drop some money and save your hearing (not necessarily aimed at you, just anyone in general who uses regular earbuds, or worse, no hearing protection at all). My hearing damage is non-motorcycle related, but let me tell you, tinnitus is ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE, and unfixable. My motto is that the two most important things to take care of are your ears and your teeth (the latter is a good argument for a fullface :haw:).

Also, due to the ergonomics of IEM's, they sit flush with your ear so you don't have to worry about your helmet pulling the stupid things out when you put it on/off.

edit: the Shure SE215-CL's linked a couple posts up have "up to" 37dB noise cancellation. That's higher than most earplugs (32 dB).

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 29, 2017

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Seconding Shure SE215 IEM recommendations. They fit flush and have excellent isolation, sound amazing even at 90mph without high volume. Best money you can spend for 100$ IEMs at that price mark or lower, IMO. They're super durable, too.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the Shure reminder. I think I had a tab open on their site a while back and closed it without remembering the model number.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Finally got a pair of A* missile airflow pants (in the mail, through revzilla), but I can't zip up my boot with the pants inside the book (A* SMX plus). Otherwise the boots fit fine, so I don't think a larger size is a good idea. Thoughts?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

What where you wearing underneath your pants? How thick socks?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Supradog posted:

What where you wearing underneath your pants? How thick socks?

Nothing under the pants (except boxers), and my socks are just regular athletic socks. I ordered a size Tall since I'm 6'3", but I'm wondering now if I got the regular if it'd get enough material out of the boot to let it close. The knee armor felt a little low on my leg to me anyway, but I was just trying the pants on sitting in a chair, not on the bike. Since I'm not going to bother wearing leather pants without my boots, I don't think it matters if the pants go all the way down my leg.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Compare and contrast the way your pants fit to this:

-Inu- posted:

Here's what a proper fitting pair of pants should look like:

Standing

In riding position

A bit of rear end sag is to be expected while standing. The crotch may ride up slightly (or it at least be snug) while standing, but when you're on the bike it shouldn't be an issue. Also note where the knee armor is while in riding position. The armor starts just below the white A/S logo so it is perfectly in line with my knees and shins.

How they fit while standing is irrelevant, but if armor is out of place when you are sitting then the pants may not fit your body proportions correctly. Do you have uncommonly long or short legs or anything like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Picked up a pair of Shure SE215 a couple days ago. After a little time figuring out how they're supposed to fit and how the wires route up and around the ears, I tried them on with my helmet, and I think they will be needs-suiting. Have to wait til I get the biek out of storage to confirm.