Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I've been faced with a really tough decision and I was hoping you guys could give me some input.

So I have a '02 1.8 NB with LSD and 110000 miles. It is my daily driver. Since I moved to Philly the car has been in numerous hit and runs and now looks like a turd. It is in need of a new front bumper, rear bumper, right door panel, and rear quarter panel. These were all separate incidents and each one is a $500 insurance deductible to get it fixed. The car also needs it's AC to be fixed as well as a transmission rebuild as the 2nd gear synchro is going. The top is also due for a replacement sometime soon. Since I've had the car I have replaced the engine gaskets as well as put in a new clutch and OEM suspension. I have also done the timing belt. Interior is in fine condition except for the driver's seat which has a rip in the leather.

I recently found a really good deal on a new '17 Fiesta ST as my cousin works at a dealership. Have you guys driven the Fiesta? How do you think it compares to the Miata? Do you think it is a good financial decision to dump all this money back into the NB to get it looking respectable?

Obviously, the practically is a huge plus but I feel like I will really miss the drop top as well as the low ride height of the Miata. What would you guys do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Drive it and see if you like it. The more fiscally responsible option will pretty much always be "keep the NB" because no matter how much you spend on fixing it, that's still cheaper than $FiestaST.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd turn the Miata into a track missile.
Also, car payments suck.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If your current situation (the means streets of philly) is destroying cars I'd hesitate to buy a new car to destroy

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd turn the Miata into a track missile.
Also, car payments suck.

Road missile. There are quite a few kit cars that are designed for the Miata in mind, the Catfish and Exocet come to mind.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ethanol posted:

If your current situation (the means streets of philly) is destroying cars I'd hesitate to buy a new car to destroy

Yeah pretty much. Don't even bother getting the dents fixed unless you can find a PDR guy the will do it cheap.

I had a PDR guy fix the dents in my Miata then I sold it :v:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you replaced the Miata with the Fiesta, wouldn't you be worried that the Fiesta would get banged up instead of the Miata?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Buy a PI Crown Vic and weld rebar along the beltlines. You'll never have to worry about door dings again.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That's actually a pretty sweet idea

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A MIRACLE posted:

That's actually a pretty sweet idea

It's been a dream of mine for years.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

My NB hasn't been my daily for a year and a half or so and it needs a ton of work I just haven't had the disposable income to throw at it unfortunately.

Still, every time I drive that fuckin' hooptie it puts a smile on my face. I've never driven a better engine/gearbox/clutch combination that just works together so seamlessly. Outside of an S2000 and then probably higher end exotics I'm not sure one exists.

I'll probably end up selling it before too long though because we want to buy a house and there might be unexpected other expenses coming up. :kiddo: Mostly I just feel guilty I haven't given the car the TLC it needs.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 31, 2017

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I sold my '97 beater rusty NA for a 2 year fiesta st lease a few years ago. The ST was much, much faster, tighter, practical, and more comfortable. However it was pretty drat expensive fwiw I was paying $334/mo plus like $650 a year for insurance.

Now I have a wicked cheap base jetta lease for my reliable DD and I'm picking up a mint '95 Miata in the spring. I just keep going back to how incredibly fun the Miata was.

Also I visited my friend in Philly a few days after I got the ST and someone keyed the gently caress out of it within an hour of arriving.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

My Miata found out it's being replaced and the gearbox has started to sulk. It didn't want to go into any gear this morning. :sigh:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My NB's shifting is consistently terrible until it warms up.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

RillAkBea posted:

My Miata found out it's being replaced and the gearbox has started to sulk. It didn't want to go into any gear this morning. :sigh:

RIP slave cylinder

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Larrymer posted:

RIP slave cylinder

Mine was on it's way out and embarrassed me in a crowded theatre parking lot, I SWEAR I KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IT'S THE CAR FOR REAL.

It died just as I parked in front of my driveway, luckily it wasn't too bad swapping it out in the side of the road.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Any of you getting rid of a miata let me know those details and stuff :)

e: I had my slave die on me in my S2000, I got stuck in first and drove the last half mile home at 6000 rpm. I had to stop at a light and thankfully I was first cause I had to slowly keep creeping forward to not stall :sweatdrop:

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Previa_fun posted:

My NB hasn't been my daily for a year and a half or so and it needs a ton of work I just haven't had the disposable income to throw at it unfortunately.

Still, every time I drive that fuckin' hooptie it puts a smile on my face. I've never driven a better engine/gearbox/clutch combination that just works together so seamlessly. Outside of an S2000 and then probably higher end exotics I'm not sure one exists.

I'll probably end up selling it before too long though because we want to buy a house and there might be unexpected other expenses coming up. :kiddo: Mostly I just feel guilty I haven't given the car the TLC it needs.

You know there's people out there on the internet that would love to throw money at and maintain an NB... make sure you post before you sell!

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 4, 2020

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Make sure there is no rust, check for sikk modz, take it through a car wash to see if the top leaks, basically standard car stuff, miatas are stupid reliable.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

check the next timing belt interval too, some people just sell their miata instead of paying for a timing belt job. bad people

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Usually the water pump starts leaking before the timing belt even thinks about breaking, even if it does, the motor is non interference so no biggie unless you're driving cross country or something.

But yeah, it's definitely a bargaining point and should take at least 500 off the price.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 4, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

puberty worked me over posted:

Thank you for the advice. Turns out I did a dumb thing (who would have thought it?) and the car was actually far more expensive than I thought. I think the issue involves car sale aggregating websites do not often parse mouse print.

What was the price vs what you thought it was listed at?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So i was doing the brakes on my NB and the piston in rear left caliper won't retract. I can turn the little screw to push it further out and then retract it a bit so the piston is moving but it just stops retracting at one point and the screw seems to turn freely. Is there a way to fix this without buying a new caliper?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Shai-Hulud posted:

So i was doing the brakes on my NB and the piston in rear left caliper won't retract. I can turn the little screw to push it further out and then retract it a bit so the piston is moving but it just stops retracting at one point and the screw seems to turn freely. Is there a way to fix this without buying a new caliper?

Might be you have the same thing I had going on an old Mazda 323 BG (which has the same rear caliper). I could get it moving by just pushing on the piston while turning the little screw, using a pair of enormous adjustable pliers. I think there was some corroded spot on the piston that wouldn't move past the seal unless it got some encouragement. If that is the case here, that in itself might be reason to rebuild/replace that caliper soon. Even if you can get the new pads in now, it might lead to a stuck caliper or something later on when it wears down so the piston and seal meet at that spot again.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The miata RF is 35k wtf. Sell me a fixed roof for 20k.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

ionn posted:

Might be you have the same thing I had going on an old Mazda 323 BG (which has the same rear caliper). I could get it moving by just pushing on the piston while turning the little screw, using a pair of enormous adjustable pliers. I think there was some corroded spot on the piston that wouldn't move past the seal unless it got some encouragement. If that is the case here, that in itself might be reason to rebuild/replace that caliper soon. Even if you can get the new pads in now, it might lead to a stuck caliper or something later on when it wears down so the piston and seal meet at that spot again.

Thanks for the tip. I extended the piston out as far as possible and there was a nice ring of rust around it. I sanded it down a bit and lubed it up and it was able to get it to retract again. Not a permanent solution but it'll do till i have the time/money for a more permanent fix.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Voltage posted:

Make sure there is no rust, check for sikk modz, take it through a car wash to see if the top leaks, basically standard car stuff, miatas are stupid reliable.

Really? I have always assumed any top leaked at high pressure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elephanthead posted:

The miata RF is 35k wtf. Sell me a fixed roof for 20k.

Is there a fastback hardtop available for the standard ND yet?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Shai-Hulud posted:

Thanks for the tip. I extended the piston out as far as possible and there was a nice ring of rust around it. I sanded it down a bit and lubed it up and it was able to get it to retract again. Not a permanent solution but it'll do till i have the time/money for a more permanent fix.

I did exactly the same thing when the front left caliper on my NA got stuck last summer. It was just a couple days before a trackday and I had no time to get any new parts, so I just took it apart and sanded it down (really fine grit, or the piston is scored useless). Also changed pads (they were down to about 1/3rd anyway), which pushed it in a bit. Considered skipping the trackday altogether because, you know, brakes, but it held up fine. I have new pistons and seals that I need to put in, just need to remember to get the calipers from it next time I'm by where it's hibernating...

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The ND is seriously beautiful. I'm in love. Here's me on PCH somewhere this weekend

My ND sport in ceramic. Sometimes it looks white, sometimes it's silver

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

A MIRACLE posted:

The ND is seriously beautiful. I'm in love. Here's me on PCH somewhere this weekend

My ND sport in ceramic. Sometimes it looks white, sometimes it's silver

This is one of the best angles for it too...you can pick up on the subtle upsweep on the front fender and its corresponding upsweeps on the door, rear fender, and rear bumper. They aren't as apparent from other angles on the convertible.

On the RF the buttress ties the three lines together from all angles.

Ceramic and Gray are my favorite ND colors. Would love to see a dark blue - the blue gray they offer (and the purple blue they offered on the NC) just doesn't do anything for me.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Bring back the '06 victory blue

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Far and away the best color NC

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Ceramic Metallic is such a great color on the Miata. I want a ceramic RF w/BBS package very badly.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
It sucks that the MX-5 is not available in more colors. The only colors you can get is red and "slightly blue. The rest is variations of white, grey and black. Not saying that it doesn't look great in white grey or black but its a fun car, give me some fun colors Mazda!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Ceramic Metallic is such a great color on the Miata. I want a ceramic RF w/BBS package very badly.

Same, but loving hell 35k? The PRHT wasn't nearly as much of a premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

PRHT was just a ballcap

RF is a hair transplant

:laffo: