Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Glagha posted:

I mostly just take issue with food fads promoting misinformation and bad science to the general public. I don't particularly care who eats bread, I mean it's high in carbs so whatever, but I don't like it meaning that even some meat products now say "gluten free" on them promoting the perception that it's a spooky scary food word and it's bad for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Did you seriously just quote something from Mercola? Christ, if that twisted gently caress of an anti-vax snake-oil salesman tells you sun is going to rise in the east tomorrow you should bet against it being true.

Remember kids, HIV doesn't cause AIDS. We know because Joe Mercola says so. And eating algae is the cure!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Glagha posted:

I mostly just take issue with food fads promoting misinformation and bad science to the general public. I don't particularly care who eats bread, I mean it's high in carbs so whatever, but I don't like it meaning that even some meat products now say "gluten free" on them promoting the perception that it's a spooky scary food word and it's bad for you.

My god there is some bad food knowledge in this thread

1) Celiac is not an allergy

2) Gluten free means is has been certified to not contain gluten.

Even naturally gluten free stuff can become not gluten free due to cross contamination during production and shipping. This happens a lot in trucks that ship more than one type of product. There are other things like crop rotated fields for oats for example, where oats are grown in the same fields or near wheat fields and it gets mixed in so even though oats don't contain gluten in a vacuum, they do on the shelf.

Premade food for something dumb like lime salsa chicken breast or whatever can either contain gluten products. Same with sliced deli meats. That's why some meats are labelled.

Also having a reaction is AWFUL. It's like having food poisoning, a sunburn, and the flu all at once. It fucks you up for a day minimum. It is not a tummy ache.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Would PCBs be considered the current age's asbestos, or the future's asbestos? We already know it's poo poo, but we haven't even scraped the surface when it comes to remediation.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

My god there is some bad food knowledge in this thread

1) Celiac is not an allergy

2) Gluten free means is has been certified to not contain gluten.

Even naturally gluten free stuff can become not gluten free due to cross contamination during production and shipping. This happens a lot in trucks that ship more than one type of product. There are other things like crop rotated fields for oats for example, where oats are grown in the same fields or near wheat fields and it gets mixed in so even though oats don't contain gluten in a vacuum, they do on the shelf.

Premade food for something dumb like lime salsa chicken breast or whatever can either contain gluten products. Same with sliced deli meats. That's why some meats are labelled.

Also having a reaction is AWFUL. It's like having food poisoning, a sunburn, and the flu all at once. It fucks you up for a day minimum. It is not a tummy ache.

Okay, fair enough. I can see the need for that then.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

evil_bunnY posted:

However, using the State Data System (SDS) from Florida, Maryland, Missouri, and Pennsylvania, a statistically significant 7% reduction in risk for relevant (including crash subtypes presumably affected by DRLs, such as opposite-direction) nonfatal crashes was identified, and DRL-equipped vehicles were associated with 28% fewer pedestrian fatalities

brah can you not read

My last two cars have had DRL's standard and were the type with a sensor to automatically turn on the headlights and tailights to full power when it gets dark. Had a rental car in Florida with DRL but did not have the auto sensor. It took me some time driving on the highway at night to realize my tailights weren't on for the past hour. I kind of always assumed that cars with DRL had the sensors too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Volcott posted:

Would PCBs be considered the current age's asbestos, or the future's asbestos? We already know it's poo poo, but we haven't even scraped the surface when it comes to remediation.

Don't worry, there are already guys out there grinding them up in their back yard and running it through a sluice box to recover the gold and then just throwing what's left in the garbage.

edit: it appears you're referring to a different thing with the same acronym?

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 30, 2017

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Powershift posted:

Don't worry, there are already guys out there grinding them up in their back yard and running it through a sluice box to recover the gold and then just throwing what's left in the garbage.

edit: it appears you're referring to a different thing with the same acronym?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_biphenyl

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It would seem that's already being treated with a similar respect as asbestos, especially after having been marketed as asbestol

also, trying to look that up, i found this.

http://www.hannasherbshop.com/shop/hanna/asbestos-asbestol-chem-vibropathictm.html

i really don't know what the gently caress.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Powershift posted:

It would seem that's already being treated with a similar respect as asbestos, especially after having been marketed as asbestol

also, trying to look that up, i found this.

http://www.hannasherbshop.com/shop/hanna/asbestos-asbestol-chem-vibropathictm.html

i really don't know what the gently caress.

That's just good old quack "medicine." It's almost definitely just water, Homeopathy believes that you can make medicine by diluting substances beyond the point where the mixture is entirely water and then shaking it a bunch.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's just good old quack "medicine." It's almost definitely just water, Homeopathy believes that you can make medicine by diluting substances beyond the point where the mixture is entirely water and then shaking it a bunch.

Actually, if you read it, it's 10% gran alcohol in water, which is "Electro magnetically attuned to a specific frequency, 6x potency."

That's obviously science, those are science words.

Kind of a shame it has to ride the coat-tails of good products like asbestos and asbestol.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Bubblyblubber posted:

But if the twisted pairs prevent interference, why do IT people freak out if you suggest putting a power cable parallel to a an ethernet cable in a conduit?

I've had to "fix" broken USB devices which were disconnecting every couple of minutes by making sure the USB cable didn't loop around the 370V 1KW power cable multiple times. USB spec says the cables should be shielded, but in practice companies cheap out on that.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Unless they fail to dilute the poison in their homeopathic teething tablets and kill some babies!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Specifically, that's a 6X mixture. That means that the active ingredient was mixed with 10 times the volume of water.

Then a bit of that 1:10 solution was withdrawn, and mixed with 10 times the volume of water. Then a bit of *that* solution was withdrawn and mixed with 10 times the volume of water. And so on. So a 6X homeopathic solution has the original 'active' ingredient at a dilution of 1:10^6. That's a one ounce bottle, so the entire bottle has 28 micrograms of asbestos in it. Assuming they actually bothered to use asbestos in the first place, as opposed to whatever dirt they found lying around on the floor, or nothing.

That's actually a pretty high concentration for homeopathic garbage. Those idiots believe that the *weaker* the concentration the *stronger* the medicine, so frequently you'll see dilutions so extreme that literally not a single atom or molecule of the 'active' ingredient remains. You see, the water molecules somehow remember the substances they used to be in contact with and retain and pass those properties along.

Homeopaths are idiots.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Powershift posted:

Actually, if you read it, it's 10% gran alcohol in water, which is "Electro magnetically attuned to a specific frequency, 6x potency."
1 PPM is too much for me. Regulation is 7 million fibers per liter (MFL) for fiber > 10 micrometers.
EPA regulations

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jeeze, you can't breathe it, you can't drink it.

What's the point in even pulling the stuff out of the ground?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Powershift posted:

That's obviously science, those are science words.

Kind of a shame it has to ride the coat-tails of good products like asbestos and asbestol.

The "Electro magnetically attuned to a specific frequency, 6x potency" part is where the aforementioned shaking comes in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Cool stairs in that dude's house.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spatial posted:

Cool stairs in that dude's house.

Not insulated. Lame.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How long until they use or for storage, or just stand on it until it collapses?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Aside from not having a railing this looks totally awesome.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

An accident waiting to happen lol.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Now imagine walking falling down those drunk.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Just enough railings to slide down and break your wrists on the concrete floor. :thumbsup:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Here’s a similar set of stairs that doesn’t threaten to kill someone.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oh god someone get some hotwheels cars.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Platystemon posted:

Here’s a similar set of stairs that doesn’t threaten to kill someone.

This is so loving ugly holy poo poo.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Phanatic posted:

Did you seriously just quote something from Mercola? Christ, if that twisted gently caress of an anti-vax snake-oil salesman tells you sun is going to rise in the east tomorrow you should bet against it being true.

Remember kids, HIV doesn't cause AIDS. We know because Joe Mercola says so. And eating algae is the cure!

Lazy googling, sorry. Will make a point to watch out for this guy in the future.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Crazy Ted posted:

Looking back on things, it's kind of amazing that everyone born from about 1935 to 1960 didn't die of some kind of cancer:

That just sets up my billion dollar idea:

Imagine saving your family from burning alive...
Imagine making your business fire-proof...
Imagine all this in a simple, organic, free-range, life-affirming, crystal clear liquid...

Introducing Homeopathic Asbestos! The 10x dilution is even more powerful! Buy two, buy thousands!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GPF posted:

That just sets up my billion dollar idea:

Imagine saving your family from burning alive...
Imagine making your business fire-proof...
Imagine all this in a simple, organic, free-range, life-affirming, crystal clear liquid...

Introducing Homeopathic Asbestos! The 10x dilution is even more powerful! Buy two, buy thousands!
But is it also gluten free and organic?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

It's more of a theoretical risk of interference. All our fixed installation is done with shielded twisted pair, because why not. The extra cost of shielded vs unshielded cable was minuscule in comparison to the cost of the installation anyway.

Never underestimate a contractor's ability to cut corners.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Yawgmoth posted:

But is it also gluten free and organic?

um...SURE! It's also vegan and feminist...aaaaand...um. Alkaline!!

How many gallons can I put you down for? Each month? Sure, we can do that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

How long until they use or for storage, or just stand on it until it collapses?

It's the stairs. You walk on them.

http://www.archdaily.com/536451/sdm...-workshop-photo

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GPF posted:

um...SURE! It's also vegan and feminist...aaaaand...um. Alkaline!!

How many gallons can I put you down for? Each month? Sure, we can do that.
With one more buzzword you'll have enough money to buy the presidency in 2020! Might I interest you in "cage-free" or "free range"?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Specifically, that's a 6X mixture. That means that the active ingredient was mixed with 10 times the volume of water.

Then a bit of that 1:10 solution was withdrawn, and mixed with 10 times the volume of water. Then a bit of *that* solution was withdrawn and mixed with 10 times the volume of water. And so on. So a 6X homeopathic solution has the original 'active' ingredient at a dilution of 1:10^6. That's a one ounce bottle, so the entire bottle has 28 micrograms of asbestos in it. Assuming they actually bothered to use asbestos in the first place, as opposed to whatever dirt they found lying around on the floor, or nothing.

That's actually a pretty high concentration for homeopathic garbage. Those idiots believe that the *weaker* the concentration the *stronger* the medicine, so frequently you'll see dilutions so extreme that literally not a single atom or molecule of the 'active' ingredient remains. You see, the water molecules somehow remember the substances they used to be in contact with and retain and pass those properties along.

Homeopaths are idiots.

Seems like a lot of trouble when you could just sell people hose water and tell them it has memories of being in contact with vitamins once.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

spog posted:

I genuinely am curious as to what 'harmless' material we currently use is going to be found out to be deadly in the future.

In the way that we go 'holy poo poo, they used asbestos in schools!!', in 40 years, will they be saying 'I can't believe that they used paper every day!' or 'can you believe they ate chicken, what morons!' ?

http://liquiglide.com/

https://vimeo.com/130213741

The Japanese video looks like they showcase a turd in a bottle

https://vimeo.com/129015300

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

spog posted:

I genuinely am curious as to what 'harmless' material we currently use is going to be found out to be deadly in the future.

In the way that we go 'holy poo poo, they used asbestos in schools!!', in 40 years, will they be saying 'I can't believe that they used paper every day!' or 'can you believe they ate chicken, what morons!' ?

It won't be a huge surprise, we already know what's killing us in large numbers/going to be killing us in large numbers soon.

-Sugar
-Carbon dioxide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Yawgmoth posted:

Now imagine walking falling down those drunk.

Or melting down them while high.