Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
That Mario and Rabbids collaboration that was wildly rumored before the presentation? Might just be rumors. Or maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

To who, you? Or everyone that plays?

I want to know what an "actual fighting game" is. tia

jackie chan

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Fighting game players are more messed up in the head than eve players, confirm/deny?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Fighting game players are more messed up in the head than eve players, confirm/deny?

deny (cause smash isn't a fighting game)

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Gamers in general are a broken bunch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Well EVE players lie to themselves about EVE being a good game but I don't know how many women beaters/autists who jack off in other's beds/rapists/and general people with series anger issues are in the EVE community, if none, than yeah fighting game players are hosed.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
ARMS

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol @ No True Fighter employed itt

Also, Mariokart isn't a racing game, Splatoon isn't a shooter, and while we're at it, Mario isn't a platformer.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well EVE players lie to themselves about EVE being a good game but I don't know how many women beaters/autists who jack off in other's beds/rapists/and general people with series anger issues are in the EVE community, if none, than yeah fighting game players are hosed.

well I mean, harassment of various kinds and other kids of abuse are super common in MMORPG communities, so.

It really shouldn't be a contest, though. This is sadly common in communities of all kinds.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Phimosissy posted:

Mario isn't a platformer.

No, he's an Italian plumber who eats shrooms and steps on turtles.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phimosissy posted:

lol @ No True Fighter employed itt

Also, Mariokart isn't a racing game, Splatoon isn't a shooter, and while we're at it, Mario isn't a platformer.

:sad:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Overwatch is a really good fighting game

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Overwatch is a really good fighting game

You can punch people in it, so this checks out.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

And an even better RPG

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
The "Smash is not a fighting game" crowd always remind me of when I was a young teen and I'd have to sit there and listen to idiots argue about whether or not a given band was a real punk band or if they were just posers. They'd rattle off their lists of which bands were "real" punk bands and then sit there arguing with each other over who did and didn't belong on the list and it was all so silly, really just amounting to "punk bands I like are real punk bands and ones I don't like are not". That argument was still leagues more sensible than this one, however.

Smash is a game where you play a character and directly fight other characters in an arena. It's a fighting game. Obviously.

Saying it isn't makes about as much sense as saying a Reuben isn't a sandwich because it's not like a BLT, and in order to be a real sandwich, you need to have bacon.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Metroid Prime isn't an FPS

Edit: it's a first person adventure game

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
So will all their internet games be unplayable without that LAN thing? Like, how laggy will it be without it?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Fhate posted:

Saying it isn't makes about as much sense as saying a Reuben isn't a sandwich because it's not like a BLT, and in order to be a real sandwich, you need to have bacon.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The only evidence that Smash is a real FG is the toxicity of it's community and imo they're trying to hard to compensate.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Time to pick up my limited edition Brood Switch.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lemming posted:

Metroid Prime isn't an FPS

Edit: it's a first person adventure game

This is true

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The only evidence that Smash is a real FG is the toxicity of it's community and imo they're trying to hard to compensate.

You were making some pretty good posts earlier in the thread.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

s.i.r.e. posted:

You were making some pretty good posts earlier in the thread.

I deny this wholeheartedly

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

All good things come to an end.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Phantasium posted:

Time to pick up my limited edition Brood Switch.

The Switch is a figment of the liberal media and the games industry to scare you into buying useless joycons and LAN adapters
____/

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Man remember when people thought the NX would have a separate power cube that would somehow make the system more powerful through wi-fi or some stupid poo poo?

Great stuff.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

BambooEarpick posted:

So will all their internet games be unplayable without that LAN thing? Like, how laggy will it be without it?

It's probably OK. Usually the problem stems with different wireless routers sometimes being a bit wonky with various devices because of shoddy software/hardware implementations. If that worries you, then maybe you should invest in good ol' reliable copper.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Man remember when people thought the NX would have a separate power cube that would somehow make the system more powerful through wi-fi or some stupid poo poo?

Great stuff.

They were also trying to rationalize how a console of that size would be double or triple the power of a Wii U, which is about 8 or 12 Gamecubes taped together, so they were trying to figure out where they crammed the rest of those Gamecubes

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Smash Bros is a moba.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I miss my GameCube. GameCube and the Dreamcast are the only two old consoles I've bothered to keep lying around.

I do have a Virtual Boy but that's because Grandma won a contest at Walmart and I don't consider it a console, it's more of a warning.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Beastie posted:

I miss my GameCube. GameCube and the Dreamcast are the only two old consoles I've bothered to keep lying around.

I do have a Virtual Boy but that's because Grandma won a contest at Walmart and I don't consider it a console, it's more of a warning.

I'm not even sure she won that contest.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

8 year old me was super excited and to be honest owning it is worth it just for the conversation piece. So many people walked into my college house, saw it and were loving flabbergasted.

A decent amount of people don't even know it exists. It was dropped that quickly.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Beastie posted:

8 year old me was super excited and to be honest owning it is worth it just for the conversation piece. So many people walked into my college house, saw it and were loving flabbergasted.

A decent amount of people don't even know it exists. It was dropped that quickly.

I read this wrong at first and the idea of an eight-year-old who has a conversation piece is amazing

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
But there are patents for a power cube for the Switch by Nintendo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Does the argument against smash being a fighting game come down to something like:

Smash has randomness that negates player skill and it doesn't have complex combos? Because other than those two things, it seems like other fighting games.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Also the diehards cling religiously to the second game like the Street Fighter fanbase.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

In fighting games you have a hp bar when it turns out you die. In smash you have to be knocked off the map and you have lives

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Anidav posted:

But there are patents for a power cube for the Switch by Nintendo.

I mean, there's patents for a lot of things that never come out. Sony has that patent I think where you have to verbally acknowledge an advertisement for it to go away, and the patent had that funny picture of the tiny cartoon man shouting MCDONALDS! at his TV.

Also I think they patented the Matrix, but PS9 is a lone ways away.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Beastie posted:

If you miss it, but you've kept it, maybe play it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I saw a lot of activity in here and thought people were posting a whole bunch of impressions from PAX South or something. Nope, just a bunch of nerd sperging over the merits of various smash games against other smash games and other fighting games.

gently caress all of you. I want impressions from goons about something I'm going to buy regardless of the outcome of said impressions.

• Locked thread