Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neo Rasa posted:

Any idea that a character needs to speak more than 491 words to be considered acceptable or understandable is completely blown away by Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior where Max has nine lines of dialogue across the entire movie and two of them are "Look, I'm just here for the guzzoline."

It has awful awful editing around its effects that make it look extremely stupid all the time. Like there's a scene where Sean Connery and Tom Sawyer Agent of SHIELD or whatever are standing at the stern of a boat taking practice shots at some stuff and shooting the poo poo and like it keeps switching between wide shots of the boat going super fast and then closer up shots of the characters with the boat traveling very slowly. There's a bunch of continuity issues like that with the effects and how urgent/not urgent the characters are acting in a situation that make it a mess.

Lol geez beaten on the same fucken example even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Drifter posted:

but my college freshman creative writing class...:ohdear:

How to manuals for creative endeavors certainly exist, but not definitive ones. They're okay for introductory purposes, but someone using them as arbiters against a piece of work reveals a severe lack of depth.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

KVeezy3 posted:

How to manuals for creative endeavors certainly exist, but not definitive ones. They're okay for introductory purposes, but someone using them as arbiters against a piece of work reveals a severe lack of depth.

It's like people using the Bechdel test as a bludgeon. If that's the one tool you've got...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
If all you have is a Bechdel test, sooner or later everything starts to look like a sexist.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Heuristics are different since they are intended to start discussion, not end them. Like a discussion about the idea that sexism is hegemonic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Like Cameo said, there is no manual for writing screenplays, just like there isn't one for writing books. Read screenplays. Read books.

Yeah. I've only used them as jumping off points to shake something off I was stuck with. Like, how the gently caress do I create a character? I've seen it on screen, but how do I do that?

The only thing that worked for me is Trey Parker and Matt Stone's "Therefore, but" rule. So when I was trying to make a character, like "Okay, this character is a criminal, and then their friend gets shot, and then they get mad and then they go and kill the bad guys" what you have is a very boring story and a boring character. But if you go "This character is a bad person, BUT one day their best friend gets killed. Therefore they think about what they've done, but they realize that they were a part of this whole mess which caused the death of their best friend, therefore they go and decide to fight it."

Now you have a character arc in there.

But it's all down to personal preference really.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There is 100% guides to writing screenplays and using the format correctly. Syd Field is a good place to start.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

The Cameo posted:

McKee is more famous for being a guru than a screenwriter. And when there are so many other screenwriters out there who are actually getting their scripts made who'll give advice, why listen to him?

Seriously, if you want a cheaper, leaner, more helpful teaching tool for writing anything, buy a translation of Aristotle's Poetics. In an hour you'll learn more than seven weeks of his seminars and the purchases of all his books combined.

This is my favorite McKee story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exmi6MY7pYA&t=5185s

(1:26:25 if it doesn't go automatically)

e: second favorite is this part of his new yorker profile

quote:

When he talked about “The Art of Darkness”—a study of film noir, crime stories, and black comedy, seen in the context of human wickedness—he referred to “What Evil Means to Us,” by C. Fred Alford, a political-science professor at the University of Maryland, whose thesis is that “doing evil is an attempt to transform the terrible passivity and helplessness of suffering into activity.” Echoing Alford, McKee explained that “life is saturated with dread because you know you’re going to die, and there’s nothing you can do about it.” (At this point, some in the audience wrote “going to die” in their notebooks.)

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 29, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

There is 100% guides to writing screenplays and using the format correctly. Syd Field is a good place to start.

The Deadpool scripts breaks most rules and yet turned out okay and made a ton of money.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
James Gunn and Sean Gunn are working on Infinity War. Also, the new title card / logo for Infinity War is on his hat.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPqVWUYFgOd/?taken-by=thejudgegunn

Sean Gunn is one of the lackeys in Yondu's crew and James isn't directing, so I'm guessing that both of them have small roles, but not clear what they are doing.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 29, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

James Gunn and Sean Gunn are working on Infinity War. Also, the new title card / logo for Infinity War is on his hat.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPqVWUYFgOd/?taken-by=thejudgegunn

Sean Gunn is one of the lackeys in Yondu's crew and James isn't directing, so I'm guessing that both of them have small roles, but not clear what they are doing.

I think he also does the mocap for Rocket.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Drifter posted:

I enjoyed the movie abotu the Crimson Bolt or wahtever...the one starring the weird guy from the office, and that tiny little girl who voice acted in a videogame, ellen something.
Yes this is v good super hero movie

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Drifter posted:

How can you say that? First, it makes no sense - maybe I should have said xenocide? Batman does what he does to keep the non criminal parts of humanity safe...Well, he does what he does, and the end result is that Gotham has a reduced crime rate than what it would otherwise be.

Well if he kills Superman, he can say he genocided an entire race. :v:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If you want a compare and contrast then compare Superman in the Snyder films with Superman in Superman Returns. Like all the poo poo people claim is in the Snyder films is in Superman Returns. It's just better written / voiced / and acted.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It doesn't matter if Superman Returns is better than Man of Steel/Beavis. That has nothing to do with your previous wrong statements (Batman and Superman are the same character, people who pay attention to the story are making up characterization, etc.).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Drifter posted:

I enjoyed the movie abotu the Crimson Bolt or wahtever...the one starring the weird guy from the office, and that tiny little girl who voice acted in a videogame, ellen something.

Yeah it's great, I love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctcURFb7XE4

Drifter posted:

I've always heard Mckee and Save the Cat were pretty much gold standards when it comes to people who want to read about script writing. Are these things just the goto lowest common denominator stuff?

I haven't read McKee but after I heard about Save The Cat I had to buy a copy just to see if it was as bad as people were saying and it was genuinely awful. It tells its readers that there's a formula for writing great scripts and gives a checklist for specific plot beats that need to happen and the specific pages where they should be placed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's strange that Clark not knowing the right thing to do in every situation is treated like a moral failing.
It guess people are really angry at the film's subtext of "Being impervious to injury and being able to solve any problem by punching it real hard or throwing it into the sun doesn't mean that your life won't suck" and that Superman still has to deal with mundane emotional poo poo and constantly questions himself. They got tricked into watching a movie with actual characters having experiences instead of the escapist fantasy they were expecting.

Note that the other bad Superman film Superman IV: The Quest for Peace also covers a lot of this ground and the first quarter of the movie is mostly Clark moping around and asking himself and everyone he knows (including his dead mother) whether he should intervene in world politics. There's a scene in the Fortress of Solitude where he asks the disembodied heads of Krytponians smartguys whether he should destroy all the nukes and their response was "gently caress 'em! There's better worlds out there, leave these assholes to kill themselves if that's what they want."

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 29, 2017

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I haven't read McKee but after I heard about Save The Cat I had to buy a copy just to see if it was as bad as people were saying and it was genuinely awful. It tells its readers that there's a formula for writing great scripts and gives a checklist for specific plot beats that need to happen and the specific pages where they should be placed.

That's how you write romance novels anyway.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

When superman comes back to life in the future, will he have a mullet?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Eastbound Spider posted:

When superman comes back to life in the future, will he have a mullet?

If he doesn't I'm gonna be heated.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

That's how you write romance novels anyway.

Those things are extremely good at teaching you how to be a hack. If you want to write a novel every month, that is a great place to start.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I like this movie, but I wish the trailer didn't reveal like 90% of it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watching Super and it's commentary is a really good jumpstart to writing a script. Lotsa good artsy feels type stuff from Gunn.

Sometimes art is just your gut and your soul trying to get something out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Superman 3 is pretty good I don't care.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think I saw brief flashes of Mojo in the new Legion promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHL7xy4wQG0

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cloak & Dagger has been officially cast for their Freeform TV series.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/marvels-cloak-and-dagger-olivia-holt-aubrey-joseph-land-cast-title-roles-freeform-series-1201897410/

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Looks like their not getting their powers from magical heroin which is disappointing

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hollismason posted:

Looks like their not getting their powers from magical heroin which is disappointing

Next thing you know they'll remove the tit window!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Obligatory

:nws:

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=398

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Ben Affleck is dropping out of directing The Batman.

http://www.avclub.com/article/ben-a...SocialMarketing

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Good. Get Joe Carnahan to do it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ben-affleck-the-batman-will-not-direct-1201971566/

Ben won't direct The Batman after all.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Fingers crossed Snyder agrees to direct instead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Goddamn DC is real bad at doing movies huh. Maybe they should uh...let the filmmakers make the film they want too and step aside. See what happens!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Goddamn DC is real bad at doing movies huh. Maybe they should uh...let the filmmakers make the film they want too and step aside. See what happens!

what about this situation makes dc seem at fault to you

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Nerds get two doses of Batman in a single year, and all they can do is hound the poor guy attached to the franchise about why they haven't gotten their next fix yet. This is of course after he's finished work on yet another dose of Batman that is post production.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
What is xkcd...was in COLOR???

http://xkcd.com/1792/

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

you tricked me, that xkcd didn't have any goatse in it

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Can't blame Affleck for not wanting to bust his rear end rolling a boulder uphill for 2 years only to get a bunch of insane complaints and lovely memes at the top.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Let George Clooney direct it. As long as a Batman is directing Batman, I'm fine with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Knew this was coming. At least he's still starring in it... right? :ohdear:

• Locked thread