Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

twistedmentat posted:

I'm pretty sure Pheonix destroyed that world on her own with no influence from Mastermind.
Well he didn't tell her to go do that or anything, but the exact specific reason Jean went from regular ol' Jean Phoenix into crazy out-of-control Dark Phoenix was because of Mastermind's mind-control scheme. Like, that was the literal direct cause.

Heck, apparently Emma played a part in it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Also the Phoenix realized destroying worlds was pretty hosed up and at least tried to commit suicide over it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

Well he didn't tell her to go do that or anything, but the exact specific reason Jean went from regular ol' Jean Phoenix into crazy out-of-control Dark Phoenix was because of Mastermind's mind-control scheme. Like, that was the literal direct cause.

Heck, apparently Emma played a part in it too.

You're right, I forgot the timeline. For some reason I thought Phoenix ate the star before the Hellfire Club stuff, rather than after. And it was a great character moment that Jean/Pheonix (as Claremont had not intended this to be some kind of clone the Phoenix created, but actually Jean at the time) for her to be so overcome with remorse during the battle with the Imperial Guard that she straight up kills herself. Unlike a hero who goes bad due to some alien influence like say Hal Jordan, it was good writing to show there was no way Jean was going to come back from destroying that star and the civilization.

Though I can't help but wonder if Claremont really did never intend for Jean to come back, i mean the drat thing was called the Phoenix and if there is anything people know about that bird, it's it comes back to life. Yes this was the origin of the whole thing, but it's not like it dies, comes back, dies again and ever comes back, the mythical beast is a continues cycle of death and rebirth. Though now I'm getting a South Park like "You killed Jean!" "You Bastards!" kind of thing.

Relevant to this, I am always annoyed how the movies always have the Phoenix being this dark side of Jean that is always there, rather than an external force. But then I've realized the X-men movies are more about explaining aspects of their characters rather than adapting stories about the characters.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
She wasn't supposed to die editorial mandate did that.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Doesn't Nova watch the Phoenix eat a goddamn planet in the lead up to AvX? The text of the event shows us both through actual planet-eating and through the characters' reactions to the incoming Phoenix that the thing is a threatening cosmic force.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

Doesn't Nova watch the Phoenix eat a goddamn planet in the lead up to AvX? The text of the event shows us both through actual planet-eating and through the characters' reactions to the incoming Phoenix that the thing is a threatening cosmic force.
I think you'll find that the plans had been on display at the Alpha Centauri planning office for the last fifty years, and it's not its fault that they hadn't got around to inventing space travel yet.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Maxwell Adams posted:

I want IvX to focus on whether or not Black Bolt knew that the terrigen cloud would kill mutants. Hopefully that's where they're going next, with Black Bolt being held. The concept of someone actually trying to question Black Bolt, and make him talk, is pretty interesting.

It only did so after Secret Wars, because Marvel needed a new storyline for X-Men and Inhumans both, so it would have to be a retcon anway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'll probably end up being that someone else tampered with the cloud to make it dangerous for mutants, thus giving the x-men and inhumans a common enemy

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Turns out the Terrigen mists are Sublime.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cant they just bottle the cloud.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they could

forge was doing exactly that when they blew up his machine in ivx, tho he was following it up by... crystallizing it? I forget but he wasn't just sucking it out of the air

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

This is all going to somehow be Beast's fault.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Manatee Cannon posted:

they could

forge was doing exactly that when they blew up his machine in ivx, tho he was following it up by... crystallizing it? I forget but he wasn't just sucking it out of the air

so you mean he was returning the Terrigan Mists to the Terrigan Crystal's, In short, restoring the status quo of what the Inhumans had before?

Truly those X-Men extremists are the real monsters.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Onmi posted:

so you mean he was returning the Terrigan Mists to the Terrigan Crystal's, In short, restoring the status quo of what the Inhumans had before?

Truly those X-Men extremists are the real monsters.

IvX #3 posted:

Iso: Looks like you're planning to pull in all the terrigen gas, then compress it into a soild state so you can incinerate it safely.
Forge: That's oversimplifying it, but yes. Basically.
edit:We know that the M-Pox is going away and the X-Men are returning to Earth from the ResurreXion promos, but they haven't been clear on what happens to the Inhumans. They have said the new main Inhumans book will be set in space, so maybe the cloud will be destroyed and the Inhumans go searching for another source of terrigen. (This is speculation based on what's been posted in this thread. I haven't gone looking for spoilers.)

Grey Area fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 30, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Turns out the Terrigen mists are Sublime.

Man, having to potentially turn into a monster while listening to lovely music is a fate worse than death.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Man, having to potentially turn into a monster while listening to lovely music is a fate worse than death.

:golfclap:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhonne posted:

This is all going to somehow be Beast's fault.

Forge is probably one of the few people that Beast can actually look down upon:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

It's certainly the Wrong Way to go.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Guys, guys, guys... For the 'What If' AvX issue, tell me you wouldn't want to read...

"What If Peter Parker Received The Phoenix Force Instead of the X-Men???"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Guys, guys, guys... For the 'What If' AvX issue, tell me you wouldn't want to read...

That came so close to happening in the Spider-man and Wolverine mini-series.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I now know what topic I'll be sending several emails to the Newspaper Spider-Man people about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Newspaper Phoenix will be a sassy bird that talks and has the power to level several square feet of property.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

That came so close to happening in the Spider-man and Wolverine mini-series.

For so long I thought it was literally just a bonus costume they made up for [iEnter Electro[/i].

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Alhazred posted:

Forge is probably one of the few people that Beast can actually look down upon:

Did they every redeem Forge from that or did they just decide to ignore it?

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Well it fits the What If criteria of killing Spidey at some point.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Rick posted:

I wanna say something something something ghost box? It wasn't my favorite Warren Ellis work.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rick posted:

Little bit of both?

They basically didn't use him for about five years and then he showed up as part of X-Force (the 2013 Cable & X-Force series by Dennis Hopeless) where initially it was just "Forge is back, buildin' stuff" but at some point they revealed Cable tracked down crazy Forge and used his telepathy to make him think his broken mind was a machine, and Forge fixed his own brain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's pretty cool actually.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I really liked that series and that in particular was a cool way of doing that.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Little bit of both?

They basically didn't use him for about five years and then he showed up as part of X-Force (the 2013 Cable & X-Force series by Dennis Hopeless) where initially it was just "Forge is back, buildin' stuff" but at some point they revealed Cable tracked down crazy Forge and used his telepathy to make him think his broken mind was a machine, and Forge fixed his own brain.

That series redeemed Forge with his bickering with Dr. Nemesis alone.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I thought Spider Phoenix already happened in the 80s or 90s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatts posted:

I thought Spider Phoenix already happened in the 80s or 90s

It was a silly one issue thing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

It was a silly one issue thing.

Just read up on it might have been an illusion by Arcade.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder what the status of the Ultraverse rights are. Wasn't it a 20 year deal? Marvel bought them in 1995 and the line was scuttled in Fen of 1997.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I wonder what the status of the Ultraverse rights are. Wasn't it a 20 year deal? Marvel bought them in 1995 and the line was scuttled in Fen of 1997.

Yeah, I'm sure someone's just waiting to get their hands on those Prime rights after the recent revelation about Gerard Jones.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Starlin get in trouble for using an Ultraverse character in his Thanos book from 2006-ish?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Lurdiak posted:

It's certainly the Wrong Way to go.

I read this as "Wong" way, thought it was some kind of pun, and couldn't think of what Dr. Strange story this was referencing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Yeah, I'm sure someone's just waiting to get their hands on those Prime rights after the recent revelation about Gerard Jones.

Oh poo poo, the first issue of Prime has a bit about pedophiles in it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Oh poo poo, the first issue of Prime has a bit about pedophiles in it.

That whole premise throws up a lot of signals in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

That whole premise throws up a lot of signals in retrospect.

GOD drat IT MY MEMORIES

• Locked thread