Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Phimosissy posted:

Ethan Phillips seems really cool and I kind of feel bad for him because you can tell he really tried.

It wasn't his fault, guys

He's a really cool dude and honestly a good actor, he just got the worst loving character on the worst loving Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

So are all betazoid women "I've led my people through the desert" thirsty or is it specific to the trois.

I figure a society where everyone can tell exactly how horny anyone around them is at any time is gonna be more open about sex than us.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
There's a few moments where you can see the glimmer of what Neelix could be, mostly when counseling B'Elanna or Naomi, but so much of his screentime is pulling wacky faces or Leola root jokes or being an rear end in a top hat to Tuvok for no reason.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

He's a really cool dude and honestly a good actor, he just got the worst loving character on the worst loving Star Trek.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pakled posted:

I figure a society where everyone can tell exactly how horny anyone around them is at any time is gonna be more open about sex than us.

So the reason that one betazoid who wasn't empathetic turned to serial killing was because he was an incel?

Orv
May 4, 2011
No, no Travis is just the most bland motherfucker in existence. Phlox is actively lovely. E: So is Nelix. :colbert:

On the bright side, seeing John Billingsley or Ethan Phillips in anything since Enterprise is really nice, because they are both genuinely good actors.

E: Bad at names, bad at faces.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 31, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Orv posted:

No, no Travis is just the most bland motherfucker in existence. Phlox Neelix is actively lovely.

Yeah I guess. Travis isn't actively annoying like Neelix, he's just...nothing. I mean, you could remove him from Enterprise completely and I don't think I'd notice or care.

Edit: vvv :lol: vvv

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 31, 2017

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I remember this thread having a haiku contest years ago and the winner was about him.

I remember the phrases "ebony helmsman" and "hush child / speak no lines."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mental Hospitality posted:

Yeah I guess. Travis isn't actively annoying like Neelix, he's just...nothing. I mean, you could remove him from Enterprise completely and I don't think I'd notice or care.

I don't think the Andorians noticed or cared about him because they kept calling humans pinkskins.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Phimosissy posted:

Ethan Phillips seems really cool and I kind of feel bad for him because you can tell he really tried.

It wasn't his fault, guys

We know. I don't think anyone blames Ethan.

The entire Voyager crew actually have GREAT stories to tell at the conventions too, they're a rowdy bunch.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I don't think the Andorians noticed or cared about him because they kept calling humans pinkskins.

Shhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiit

:drat:

MillennialVulcan posted:

The entire Voyager crew actually have GREAT stories to tell at the conventions too, they're a rowdy bunch.

Wanna get drunk with Tuvok.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Here we go, I went back and found the inside story on KA's development that I posted last thread:

Also the trailer for it is dope as gently caress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPnDrKn0Z0Y

That is an awesome story. It explains why the finished product felt like nothing else.

And yea, I would not blame Phillips or any of the other actors that had bad characters, they did they best with the material they were given. It was the writers and show runners who didn't give a poo poo and were too lazy to bother creating something interesting for their characters to do.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MillennialVulcan posted:

I saw Phillips and Picardo do a short in-character play that they wrote. It was pretty great.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Orv posted:

Every time I see them, I'm struck by just how much I enjoy Trek's spooky episodes. The TNG de-evolution one, the Bashir brain drain one, the Voyager bad doctor one (yes I'm bad at remembering episode names), they're pretty much all enjoyable, if not necessarily 'good' episodes.

TNG: Where Silence Has Lease. Nagilum always creeped me out as a kid.

Also the one where Crusher is in the morgue and sees the corpses sitting up is probably the freakiest moment in all of Trek. Maybe the one where they're reconstructing the alien abductions comes close.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Everyone shits on Spider-Barclay and stuff, but that episode is terrifying. There's a crazy Silent Hill, Lovecraft kind of thing going on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's a fun spoopy episode. Trek science is all retarded, it's unfair to single this one out because "omg that's not how genes work!"

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

twistedmentat posted:

Everyone shits on Spider-Barclay and stuff, but that episode is terrifying. There's a crazy Silent Hill, Lovecraft kind of thing going on.

The amphibian Deanna was pretty unsettling.

Those loving neck flaps and the weird low moaning sound she made. Yeah that whole episode was creepy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The amphibian Deanna was pretty unsettling.

Those loving neck flaps and the weird low moaning sound she made. Yeah that whole episode was creepy.

She had the Innsmouth look.

Also Crushers scream when Worf shoots acid in her face is horrifying.

Is there a good look at the suit they had for the proto klingon? I love how they figured that a race like Klingons would have evolved from some kind of predatory primate that was armored and tough becuase canonically Klingons have a lot of redundant systems and very, very tough.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

She had the Innsmouth look.

Also Crushers scream when Worf shoots acid in her face is horrifying.

Is there a good look at the suit they had for the proto klingon? I love how they figured that a race like Klingons would have evolved from some kind of predatory primate that was armored and tough becuase canonically Klingons have a lot of redundant systems and very, very tough.

The makeup for that episode was ridiculous.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I loved Star Trek and Ninja Turtles as a kid so Genesis was the best drat episode.

It... doesn't hold up.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Spoeank posted:

I loved Star Trek and Ninja Turtles as a kid so Genesis was the best drat episode.

It... doesn't hold up.

I dunno, I watched it last week and it was like a low rent The Fly. Which is ok.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Barclay finally got to be a hero again, specifically a superhero, even more specifically Spiderman.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Frame of Mind was pretty freaky to me as a kid, though in a different way than the others mentioned.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Like I said, all the spooks Trek are kind of bad episodes except maybe DS9's Bashir one and the TNG abductions one, but even the really bad ones like the TOS witch one and the Voyager invisible science experiments ones are fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's been a while since Harry got bitch slapped.

Also I'm watching this right now and I'd forgotten how deep into Voyager they keep bringing up the Maquis poo poo as though it would be a legitimate problem in their situation. Yeah let's fight amongst ourselves 70,000 miles from home as though we could run this ship with eight people or there would be a result other than total destruction of your chance to get home.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 31, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That thing is awesome. It's like the Predator if it was a Tyranid.

Delsaber posted:

Barclay finally got to be a hero again, specifically a superhero, even more specifically Spiderman.

I'm pretty sure Barcley would be totally into Spider-Man. That is if Trek ever acknowledged human culture beyond the 1950s.

I really hated Frame of Mind, but that was because there were a lot of syndicated Sci-fi shows that all have the exact same plot and it just seemed like the same rehash over and over again.

Orv posted:

Like I said, all the spooks Trek are kind of bad episodes except maybe DS9's Bashir one and the TNG abductions one, but even the really bad ones like the TOS witch one and the Voyager invisible science experiments ones are fun.

Oh poo poo the Abductions episode scared the poo poo out of me. When I was younger i was terrified of Alien Abductions becuase they constantly had them on TV and it was as if this was a huge epidemic. The scene where they're using the holodeck to reason out the lab was freaky.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Spoeank posted:

It... doesn't hold up.

Genesis is a really entertaining episode with some genuinely disturbing bits, it just has the misfortune of being centered around a really stupid misunderstanding of how evolution works.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Genesis is a really entertaining episode with some genuinely disturbing bits, it just has the misfortune of being centered around a really stupid misunderstanding of how evolution works.

That's pretty much what I meant. I watched it with a functional understanding of evolution and it was painful

Orv
May 4, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Oh poo poo the Abductions episode scared the poo poo out of me. When I was younger i was terrified of Alien Abductions becuase they constantly had them on TV and it was as if this was a huge epidemic. The scene where they're using the holodeck to reason out the lab was freaky.

Man it's still off putting, if not necessarily scary. Part of what makes the better scary episodes so good is they're slow, creeping cerebral horror. If I was having terrifying reactions to everyday items I'd go crazy real fast.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Spoeank posted:

That's pretty much what I meant. I watched it with a functional understanding of evolution and it was painful

Why would you rewatch star trek while functionally understanding anything. We are adults now. Grab that booze, weed, jenkem.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still can't get over how the default metal table according to the holodeck is a hosed up torture table.

Orv
May 4, 2011
No table with an arm has good intentions.

Alternatively no holodeck that has had Moriarty in it is the same ever again.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 31, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The effort they put into makeup alone is awesome. Also it was directed and shot pretty nice too. Real suspense type poo poo. Also, the time freeze episode where Picard draws the smiley face in the warp core breach is awesome too.

E: I like Genesis and the other spooky Treks a lot, but I also like 2/3's of the JJ movies so I'm probably easily entertained.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 31, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The vorta were lemurs. THIS is what the founders used as the base for the Jem'Hadar!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I still can't get over how the default metal table according to the holodeck is a hosed up torture table.

Yea that was quite a leap in interpretation, computer.

The computer is psychic, it explains a lot.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Tom just gets loving nitric acid injected into his arm and is totally fine. God why am I doing this to myself.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Why would you rewatch star trek while functionally understanding anything. We are adults now. Grab that booze, weed, jenkem.

Sometimes I have it on in the background when I work from home. :(

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Spoeank posted:

Sometimes I have it on in the background when I work from home. :(

have it on the background when working on drinking from home.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Star Trek at the bar is how we roll. :stare:

It's Scorpion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mental Hospitality posted: