Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is there any traitor game where the game is somehow more engaging after you reveal yourself/get outed? The only thing I can think of is Shadows Over Camelot, but that's because being a traitor is the most goddamn boring thing in the world since all you can do is say "oops I have lovely cards sorry guys"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I know some people who enjoy being a revealed Cylon in BSG.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there any traitor game where the game is somehow more engaging after you reveal yourself/get outed? The only thing I can think of is Shadows Over Camelot, but that's because being a traitor is the most goddamn boring thing in the world since all you can do is say "oops I have lovely cards sorry guys"

From my one play, Shadow Hunters has unique effects that activate once you choose to reveal your character.
Disclaimer: Played it once, and though it was OK for a 20 minute game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Shadow Hunters flip mechanic definitely qualifies, even if the game itself is on the sour end of mediocre.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gorgo Primus posted:

Because the worst thing to take as a model for real life from an IP about a theocratic fascist empire genociding entire planets and fighting literal evil gods, is the fact that some of their fascist werewolf super soldiers wear pelts of the giant monster wolves they kill. GW has an obligation to protect the lives of fictional plastic monster wolves from harm!

"Indeed, nothing on the bloody battlefields of Warhammer’s conflict-ravaged universe could match the terrible reality that foxes, minks, rabbits, and other living beings experience at the hands of the fur trade" is the best thing I've read all day. :allears:

On the other hand, superhuman soldiers in life supporting powered armor have no need for the aesthetic or comforting properties of fur. Therefor GW would be making a move to create a more believable and palatable universe of demons, psychic corpses, and space elves.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

The last time I played Secret Hitler, there was one round where the liberals had clearly figured out that my friend and I were Hitler and the fascist, so we stopped bothering to bluff and still managed to win.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CaptainRightful posted:

The last time I played Secret Hitler, there was one round where the liberals had clearly figured out that my friend and I were Hitler and the fascist, so we stopped bothering to bluff and still managed to win.

I've got a Trump thread open in the next tab and it took me a long while to realise which one I was reading.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

It didn't even take 50 minutes from the first comment before they turned off commenting.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Regarding Indonesia - I have an indonesian friend who is deeply confused that the selection of resources in the game are rice, spices, rubber, and oil (fair enough, according to her) and then... microwave dinners? We can't figure out where they got that last one.

e: Apparently it comes from 'siap saji', meaning 'ready serve', but they are apparently not exactly a major export or anything of the sort.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 31, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've got a Trump thread open in the next tab and it took me a long while to realise which one I was reading.

The word "Secret" was your clue.

Stelas - Jeroen and Joris for some reason like to include a weird resource in their games when they can. Duck Dealer is entirely weird resources and is stuffed with in-jokes, my favourite of which is how you make cargo holds.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stelas posted:

Regarding Indonesia - I have an indonesian friend who is deeply confused that the selection of resources in the game are rice, spices, rubber, and oil (fair enough, according to her) and then... microwave dinners? We can't figure out where they got that last one.

I think it's a pun or mistranslation on "siap saji" which means fast food. There was a post-WWII boom in Southeast Asia for convenience foods so it makes sense thematically a rice and spice company would merge to basically become the Swanson TV Dinners of Indonesia. If it was Japan it would be kaare raisu or something.

e: Interestingly, palm oil is Indonesia's #2 export.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 31, 2017

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Shadow Hunters flip mechanic definitely qualifies, even if the game itself is on the sour end of mediocre.
It's the (faster) Talisman of traitor games. It's great in the right mood but it is not well designed.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Masmorra came. You will enjoy it exactly as much as Arcadia quest.
The coop is too wishy washy to scratch that itch. The xp race competitive mode is random as gently caress but kind of owns it, the treasure cards are fuckyou.com and good for a laugh. It would be a good intro to miniatures game if it didn't have models that looked like 7 year olds with breast implants gently caress I hate anime.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedit posted:

The word "Secret" was your clue.

Stelas - Jeroen and Joris for some reason like to include a weird resource in their games when they can. Duck Dealer is entirely weird resources and is stuffed with in-jokes, my favourite of which is how you make cargo holds.

Obvious Hitler

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I picked up Nyet! recently at the recommendation of my FLGS owner when I asked him about trick taking games last time I was in. It's a nice little game where the trump, points per trick, supertrump, leadoff player, etc. are decided by a phase where players veto options for these things one at a time - So on my turn I might veto the blue set as trump, and on your turn you might veto me as leadoff player - until each option has 1 remaining choice. After this, a realtively standard tricktaking phase occurs, with the twist that the leadoff player chooses the partners for the group, even in a 3 player game (the solo player gets double the points). I haven't played a whole game of it yet, but we played a couple hands last night and it was pretty cool! We all agreed not to discuss our hands besides info that could be gained from the bids, and that made for a really cool game of reading signals and gaining information.

Has anyone played Hanamikoji? It looks very nice but I have a lot of 2 player games that go unplayed.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

WE RIDE posted:

Had a nice afternoon's gaming yesterday.

Started off with a quick game of Citadels, which is a nice, light little game, reminded me of Love Letter quite a lot. But the real meat was my first go at playing New Angeles. It was a 4-player game, and 3 of us are keen Netrunner players, which made it extra engaging for us, I think. I played Globalsec with Jinteki as my rival. Overall, I really liked it! The varying levels of strategy & tactics going on mean that it can be a bit of a brain-burner, but it's thematic and exciting enough to not feel like a slog (the game took us over 3 hours but it didn't especially feel like it). I think one issue was that one player was the federalist - after the point where she "announced" herself, the game actually got a lot more boring for her: she was never going to have her counter-proposals taken up, her proposals would never be voted for, etc. So even though the rest of us got more involved and co-operative at that point, for her it fell slightly flat.

That little gripe aside, I did really enjoy the game, and it was awesome to play a board game in the home of the Beanstalk, and see Victoria Jenkins, Elizabeth Mills, Jackson Howard et al in a different game!

I have only played New Angeles once so I'm not sure, but I think in theory the Federalist player still has more options to negotiate and possibly win than in other traitor games once public because they should still have a lot of room (unconstrained by a specific rival) to offer support and play people off one another. Unlike other games the other players should probably be prioritizing their specific win conditions over the general one.

Edit: basically whichever other players are losing should be your best friends.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 31, 2017

korora
Sep 3, 2011

burger time posted:

I picked up Nyet! recently at the recommendation of my FLGS owner when I asked him about trick taking games last time I was in. It's a nice little game where the trump, points per trick, supertrump, leadoff player, etc. are decided by a phase where players veto options for these things one at a time - So on my turn I might veto the blue set as trump, and on your turn you might veto me as leadoff player - until each option has 1 remaining choice. After this, a realtively standard tricktaking phase occurs, with the twist that the leadoff player chooses the partners for the group, even in a 3 player game (the solo player gets double the points). I haven't played a whole game of it yet, but we played a couple hands last night and it was pretty cool! We all agreed not to discuss our hands besides info that could be gained from the bids, and that made for a really cool game of reading signals and gaining information.

A friend picked up Nyet recently, we had a few good games but quickly soured on it because it's a trick taking game in which a) your hand is literally always mediocre and b) bad hands aren't fun to play because there's too much trump plus discards so you can't make up ground on the off suits and c) the interesting rule sets always get vetoed and d) you end up saying "trump" and "super trump" a lot.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is there a 18XX thread? I remember seeing it a while ago here in TG, what happened to it?

Alternatively, can someone tell me which 18XXes are good for a beginner to the genre? Preferably those which still have something to do with train lines as opposed to being 100% stock fuckery.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I had a dream today in which I visited Rutibex (who looked like Tom Vasel, but I knew it's our forums rutabaga) in his house and it turned out he's been very adamant about covering the floor with his boardgames in some particular patterns, A Feast for Odin-style.

Thankfully it was a rather short dream.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Is there a 18XX thread? I remember seeing it a while ago here in TG, what happened to it?

Alternatively, can someone tell me which 18XXes are good for a beginner to the genre? Preferably those which still have something to do with train lines as opposed to being 100% stock fuckery.

I've been told 1889 and 18AL (I'm also looking to get into 18xx at some point in the not too distant future)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Pierzak posted:

The 18XX thread died due to inactivity so 18XX chat came back to this thread.

I would honestly recommend 1846 (which thanks to GMT is more easily available). It's mostly about creating solid companies rather than stock shenanigans and it was my intro into the game. It's part of the family of 18XX which have stock markets but they aren't the central part of the game. If you really want to go into the extreme of creating lines without caring about stock, 1853 is an unusual beast, which could be said to be barely a game.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tekopo posted:

The 18XX thread died due to inactivity so 18XX chat came back to this thread.

I would honestly recommend 1846 (which thanks to GMT is more easily available). It's mostly about creating solid companies rather than stock shenanigans and it was my intro into the game. It's part of the family of 18XX which have stock markets but they aren't the central part of the game. If you really want to go into the extreme of creating lines without caring about stock, 1853 is an unusual beast, which could be said to be barely a game.

Pierzak posted:

I've also played only one session of one 18xx game, and that was on Tekopo's recommendation 1846. It was fun and I want to play it more.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lichtenstein posted:

I had a dream today in which I visited Rutibex (who looked like Tom Vasel, but I knew it's our forums rutabaga) in his house and it turned out he's been very adamant about covering the floor with his boardgames in some particular patterns, A Feast for Odin-style.

Thankfully it was a rather short dream.

I am running out of space on the game room floor. I really should have explored other rooms of the house....

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Would it be worth scooping up a copy of Farmers of the Moor for $40 CDN? I think it's out of print and tricky to track down so I'm curious whether it's worth my money to acquire it before it's gone for good.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FulsomFrank posted:

Would it be worth scooping up a copy of Farmers of the Moor for $40 CDN? I think it's out of print and tricky to track down so I'm curious whether it's worth my money to acquire it before it's gone for good.

:eyepop:
YES! Grab it well you can, Farmer of the Moor is a fantastic expansion and I never play Agricola without it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Rutibex posted:

I am running out of space on the game room floor. I really should have explored other rooms of the house....

I really wanna play FEIRMEOIR

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

I really wanna play FEIRMEOIR

Be my guest, it's Print and Play:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175694/feirmeoir

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

God drat, I was making a joke off of what I assumed were storage labels, I didn't think that would actually be a game

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Feirmeoir is a simulation of the Irish Potato famine in game form.
Sounds like a hoot.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Didn't you make that game rutibex? I thought it was a design for a class or something.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Blamestorm posted:

I have only played New Angeles once so I'm not sure, but I think in theory the Federalist player still has more options to negotiate and possibly win than in other traitor games once public because they should still have a lot of room (unconstrained by a specific rival) to offer support and play people off one another. Unlike other games the other players should probably be prioritizing their specific win conditions over the general one.

Edit: basically whichever other players are losing should be your best friends.

Agreed. It's hard with seasoned boardgamers to just think about winning instead of trying to come in "First".

Additionally, there is an asset that allows you to peek and swap with the remaining Rival card that wasn't used.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Frisk posted:

Didn't you make that game rutibex? I thought it was a design for a class or something.

Yeah I designed it for an English history class. "Feirmeoir" is Irish Gaelic for "farmer", and the game is kind of a rip off of Agricola (which means "farmer" in latin). I tried to improve a few things, and add an Irish famine flavor. Instead of a static game board there is a deck of cards for all of the worker placement spaces, and instead of new spaces coming out automatically players play them from their hand. The harvests also come out at random times, and some harvests are "blighted" so potato crops don't grow.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Pro-tip: If you are in a period where you're open to buying games (I know lots of people have too many unplayed ones, or are just not interested in more), do keep an eye out on bgg marketplace. I got Alchemists for 25 euro (Rad), Welcome to the Dungeon for 6 (Rad), Rattus Cartus for 9 (dunno how rad), with 7 euro postage, and they all look basically brand new (to the point where I'm now actually slightly worried they might have been stolen from somewhere? It's probably just a guy having too many unplayed games, but what do I know...)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dancer posted:

Pro-tip: If you are in a period where you're open to buying games (I know lots of people have too many unplayed ones, or are just not interested in more), do keep an eye out on bgg marketplace. I got Alchemists for 25 euro (Rad), Welcome to the Dungeon for 6 (Rad), Rattus Cartus for 9 (dunno how rad), with 7 euro postage, and they all look basically brand new (to the point where I'm now actually slightly worried they might have been stolen from somewhere? It's probably just a guy having too many unplayed games, but what do I know...)

Shh you're cutting into my racket.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've started to keep an eye there for Pandemic On The Brink, because I want it but I'm not a terribly motivated buyer at this time.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

It's like $20 on Amazon. You will save at most 5 dollars, if that, from another party because shipping is very bad. Just get it brand new with 2 Day shipping.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shadow225 posted:

It's like $20 on Amazon. You will save at most 5 dollars, if that, from another party because shipping is very bad. Just get it brand new with 2 Day shipping.
Yeah this. Buying used games isn't often a very good deal unless its someone wanting to get rid of all/bunch of their collection all in 1 box for cheap and eat the $25+ shipping (seriously shipping is expensive as gently caress), or even better if it's a local trade/sell that works much better,

Not that you can't save some money, but few times negotiating and trying to buy used stuff you're maybe going to save $10 at most for a used game (which is fine but still not new) because shipping is rarely worth it for either person much and the only time it's been worth is trying to pickup 3 games at once.

Maybe euro has a better used market but US one seems really bad

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 31, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shadow225 posted:

It's $42.99 on amazon. I'm just waiting until I see a deal on it somewhere.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

CommonShore posted:

It's $42.99 on amazon. I'm just waiting until I see a deal on it somewhere.
Different curency? https://www.amazon.com/Pandemic-Brink-Expansion-Board-Game/dp/B00CAG5LJ2 $26 (Camelcamelcaml http://camelcamelcamel.com/Pandemic-Brink-Expansion-Board-Game/product/B00CAG5LJ2)

Could also just use it as CSI stuffer for $24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xaris posted:

Different curency? https://www.amazon.com/Pandemic-Brink-Expansion-Board-Game/dp/B00CAG5LJ2 $26

Could also just use it as CSI stuffer for $24

Canada. The cheapest I see it anywhere is BGB for $35, but I don't have another $165 worth of stuff to top that order. So I'm waiting to find a deal.