Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

theshim posted:

How were you getting your crit so high? I ran up a Doomfletch Pathfinder with nearly identical tree and stuff but I can't realistically get my crit chance much above 50% (with 3 power charges from my Frenzy PCoC setup).

(I also kinda wish I'd done this before I gave away all that stuff, including a 10ex vaal regalia :v: Just hit 68 and gearing up again is annoying!)

Really? I've got a doomfletch raider and I run about 60% crit without power charges. I am level 80 something so you may have just left some of the bigger DPS nodes with crit until later like I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ultima66 posted:

I have around 65% crit chance with 4 power charges (I think technically frenzy would be better but I don't care very much to reset bandits). This produces about 80% real crit chance with accuracy and Diamond Flask taken into account I think. Inc Crit Strikes gem makes the bow up to around 8.5-9% base crit, and I'm not sure why you can't get it past 50% because I don't have anything increasing that besides my tree and power charges. I'm pretty sure my only crit clusters on the tree are both bow clusters, the Shadow starting cluster, and the right side cluster near Acro. Let's see:

200% from 4 Power Charges
108% from 20/20 ICS
102% from Lethality
100% from King of the Hill
90% from Trickery/Assassination
50% from Heartseeker
= 650% increased crit chance

With 8.5% base, this is 63.75%. Also most other crit attacking builds can get higher than this as far as I know.
I dunno, guess I'm just missing the 20/20 ICS and a power charge (took a skill point from merc bandits, might respec that at some point). With a Diamond Flask it's not bad, but it's irritatingly inconsistent to me.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/theshim/characters I literally just hit 68 last night and I have a helm and gloves for when I hit 69. The rest of my gear is laughable leveling garbage and I need to replace almost everything, especially as I just specced to CI and switched in the Eye of Chayula.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

The Broletariat posted:

This is 100% not true. I made a boatload of currency without running the same map all season. If you want to optimize your exp or whatever, then yeah, go for it. But customizing your atlas is in no way required to make currency.

Also, life is still fine. It's not as powerful as ES at the moment, but I've done all the guardians as life with no deaths. I haven't tried Shaper this season (did him last season with life based Grandpa totems).

Metallia posted:

don't think he was arguing life is bad so much as the fact that life is way more prone to getting one shot, which is true no matter how you cut it. hopefully there'll be a bit of rebalancing in 3.0 but im not gonna hold my breath

Yeah, I agree that you definitely don't need a customized atlas to make currency. In the current state of the game you almost always end up positive in currency everytime you run a map. I spent the majority of the league running whatever dropped and I was able to afford the standard 6Ls, good uniques, 21 gems etc. But there's definitely a significant increase in currency generation with a custom atlas. This kinda triggers me cause of the whole 'gotta do things efficiently, clear fast, make $$$ fast' mentality which was really apparent (to me at least) when playing softcore. When I played hardcore I generally play a lot slower and worried about surviving more than clearing maps as fast as possible. This isn't meant to be a HC vs SC post but the "meta" problems which are all the rage on reddit are more apparent in the softcore leagues in my opinion.

Life worked great until I entered the higher red tier maps. That's when I'd get 1 shot by random things, white mobs started chunking me (whenever they got to land a hit on me cause temp chains op), and life flasks didn't really feel like they were healing me for enough. I'd much rather have that extra 2-4k ehp from ES than the utility of lifeflasks once I started going above 6k+ hp

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
edit: gently caress nevermind I'm dumb

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 31, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Probably gonna get cruel lab done tonight on my dual obliteration BV zerker. I already got the precursor to Cloaked in Savagery; should I get that with cruel lab, or something else? I guess is there enough stuff leveling through Merc that'll hit hard enough to actually trigger Cloaked in Savagery?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont know what im doing wrong but leveling this essence drain guy is by far the worst experience ive ever had in this game. i cant remember the last build where i felt like i needed to actually go buy leveling rares and poo poo to get through cruel.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
ED feels like poo poo early on but it should still be killing stuff?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it is killing stuff but i focused pretty much entirely on damage nodes to make that happen so i die to everything constantly now and it is very frustrating. normally i dont even think about buying gear until merc but i need more life because i think i died like 5 times to kaom just now.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

yum posted:

Life worked great until I entered the higher red tier maps. That's when I'd get 1 shot by random things, white mobs started chunking me (whenever they got to land a hit on me cause temp chains op), and life flasks didn't really feel like they were healing me for enough. I'd much rather have that extra 2-4k ehp from ES than the utility of lifeflasks once I started going above 6k+ hp

yeah in my experience that's about where it starts to fall out too

EA Juggernaut is probably the most tanky character i've ever played but he ended up with something like 8k life, a constant 7 endurance charges, 25% block + 14% spellblock, like 6k armor or so, fire leech, and I felt very stable and strong but I had to take a lot of care and layer defenses and be ranged to achieve something an ES character can achieve with 5-6ex's worth of ES gear and vaal pact.

it's a little annoying but I can still do everything on the former character (except uber :saddowns: if I ever get 1k USD together I'm submitting a "your ignites pierce immunity" chestpiece) so im not too mad about it in the long run

Metallia fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 1, 2017

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Probably gonna get cruel lab done tonight on my dual obliteration BV zerker. I already got the precursor to Cloaked in Savagery; should I get that with cruel lab, or something else? I guess is there enough stuff leveling through Merc that'll hit hard enough to actually trigger Cloaked in Savagery?

Aspect of Carnage is so juicy, I'd start working towards that. Though the build really doesn't shine until 4 Ascendancy points.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
How hard is it to run Uber lab anyway? I've got like 3 characters that need it and soon to be a fourth and I've just not bothered cause it sounds like a lot of effort and my main blocker for running stuff is developing a red map pool(and completing more of the Atlas so I can sustain it). Hell, that's why I roll new characters. I just get bored of doing the map/Atlas homework.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

RosaParksOfDip posted:

How hard is it to run Uber lab anyway? I've got like 3 characters that need it and soon to be a fourth and I've just not bothered cause it sounds like a lot of effort and my main blocker for running stuff is developing a red map pool(and completing more of the Atlas so I can sustain it). Hell, that's why I roll new characters. I just get bored of doing the map/Atlas homework.

Izaro hits roughly 2.5 times harder than Merc. Meaning if you let him, he'll gib you if you're at roughly 6000 effective health. That's before any boosts to him or mitigation to you, of course.

Other than that, Uber traps can be a bit annoying.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Could always pay someone for a carry.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Run him on a day that doesn't overly buff him if you are worried, or buffs that can be easily deactivated in time.

At worse, your paying 4-5ish chaos for the entry fee.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Awesome! posted:

i think i died like 5 times to kaom just now.
i went back and spent a few alchs on some upgrades to basically double my ehp, got my consuming dark and a lvl 3 empower and my whirling blades set up and now life is much better and i dont hate myself anymore. did daresso through malachai deathless which felt very good after the clusterfuck of the previous few areas.

i guess im just not used to playing a build that is so gear dependent while leveling.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Run him on a day that doesn't overly buff him if you are worried, or buffs that can be easily deactivated in time.

At worse, your paying 4-5ish chaos for the entry fee.

Best bet is giving your offering to some guy who will run it for free enchants and/or loot.
If you really just want the ascendancy, thats the fastest way.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I was going to try and run it for the first time ever today. I see that essence is a phase today which could potentially buff him if I gently caress it up. I don't have the most deeps in the world but I can kite him away from the dudes while I kill them right?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

I was going to try and run it for the first time ever today. I see that essence is a phase today which could potentially buff him if I gently caress it up. I don't have the most deeps in the world but I can kite him away from the dudes while I kill them right?
Yeah, though it might be trickish to get Izaro out of a corner, past the approaching essence.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, though it might be trickish to get Izaro out of a corner, past the approaching essence.

How much does his damage get buffed if the essences get to him?
I'm at approx 11,5k ES running enfeeble. Would that be enough to take a hit if he gets buffed?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you can handle early red maps without worry, uber lab isn't that bad, especially with 5 digit health, the area is just level 75, your way overgeared I usually go in with 5.5 or 6000 life.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

How much does his damage get buffed if the essences get to him?
I'm at approx 11,5k ES running enfeeble. Would that be enough to take a hit if he gets buffed?
You might be able to survive one "big" attack. What each of the essences does is add Izaro extra resistance and damage of that element, and chance to freeze/ignite/shock. Being shocked or frozen (for CI) builds is by far the worst part of elemental Izaro, unless you otherwise have enough to tank him?

What is enough you ask?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk-2eoj5fj8
Well...

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The essence guys are probably the worst offenders because of how hard it is to keep izaro away from them if you can't instantly melt him.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

pork never goes bad posted:

Aspect of Carnage is so juicy, I'd start working towards that. Though the build really doesn't shine until 4 Ascendancy points.

unless you have aspect of carnage you probbaly can't do uberlab on a legit bv zerker

if you tripple bug bv him you can do literally whatever

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

First Taste of Hate, now this.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

omeg posted:

First Taste of Hate, now this.

Wasting all your rng super late into the league. RIP

The Broletariat
May 23, 2004
I wonder if there's beer on the sun?

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Also, if you don't want a carry, try to run Uber Lab on a day when Izaro is using a two handed mace. If he is wielding dual swords he has this bullshit slash attack that can one shot you even when you can't see him (It hits SO HARD in uber lab). The two hand mace slam attack is much easier to see, so you can avoid more 'bullshit' one shots.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Holyshoot posted:

Wasting all your rng super late into the league. RIP

Found two EX from mobs yesterday. First ones that ever dropped from mobs for me, two in about two hours of gaming. Wonder how long it'll be until next!

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
How do you guys approach selecting and buying gear?

I just got to Act 3 Merc for the first time and I'm having a lot of trouble even with capped elemental resistances. I'm trying to balance getting more damage out without sacrificing survivability, but I feel I should be doing much better since I'm doing a Fire Nova Mine saboteur build. I am also bad at games so that may be the problem.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

I just got to Act 3 Merc for the first time and I'm having a lot of trouble even with capped elemental resistances. I'm trying to balance getting more damage out without sacrificing survivability, but I feel I should be doing much better since I'm doing a Fire Nova Mine saboteur build. I am also bad at games so that may be the problem.

post your profile *make sure it's not private*

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

Once I hit 68 or so, I go to poe.trade and put in a few desirable stats for the equipment I need, piece by piece, and I usually do a buyout of 1 chaos. You can easily get decent gear in every slot to start, and it's especially good for capping your resistances early on.

e: also yeah post your profile

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I bumped up my DPS and specced Point Blank and now I can fairly comfortably farm Shaper, it's pretty great. I did have 1 run of hubris yesterday where I brought in some people to get the kill credit, then shaper put down a Vortex I couldn't avoid during a bullet hell phase, and then did another bullet hell phase before I could cull him. Otherwise, I can very consistently get to phase 3 without dying and tend to die once on phase 3 due to the general clusterfuck. Also apparently Shaper can't be shocked, so I shouldn't be wasting my Vinktar on him unless I'm facetanking through something, since it's actually really useful for killing the adds fast to keep Zana alive. I don't do quite enough cold to freeze them without Vinktar, but can consistently freeze and shatter them while they're shocked.

Also I thought about it and realized that the only thing I actually care to buy now is a Skyforth. This means I probably won't do so and just decided to spend the 375 chaos to buy the fusings to Vorici 6L my chest (after spending more than the 1500 manually without any 6Ls).

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

Push to Act 4 and run Dried Lake till at least late 60s, I run it till I'm 70 personally. Dried Lake is almost entirely physical damage so resists won't matter that much. I only buy res gear once I start mapping unless I absolutely need it on HC or something.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

if you're softcore just ask some goon for a carry to dried lake and tip a few chaos if you're having trouble

it's worth it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It's sort of astonishing how good abusing the BV bug feels, and how bad a BV zerker feels compared to everything else I've leveled without it.

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
Thanks for the tips! I'll post the profile tomorrow - just got back from work and I'm really sleepy.

Also, I'm actually mapping in act 3. Did one map to check it out before going to Dominus and frankly found it way more fun.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Maps are way more fun than slogging through A3+A4 for a third time.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dont forget about the deshret skill point though

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ciaphas posted:

It's sort of astonishing how good abusing the BV bug feels, and how bad a BV zerker feels compared to everything else I've leveled without it.

Not liking the BV zerker? I'm up to level 30 with it now and it's decently fun.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ehn? Hard to say, the feeling that I'm having to effectively cheat to get good clear speed out of the character weighs on me as I play it :v:

I may also finally just be boring of PoE a little for this league, but I really don't have much else to do right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I may also finally just be boring of PoE a little for this league, but I really don't have much else to do right now.

I feel you. I kinda want to start another character and keep playing, but on the other hand...ehhhhhh

Somewhat related: batch of races coming next weekend, free Stormcaller mystery box if you make it to level 10 at least once (i.e. you don't suck rear end at this game)

• Locked thread