Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm guessing he's one of those freak deviants who think chili has beans and tomatoes in it.

This is thoughtcrime

plz dont pull out posted:

For someone who's never tried it what would be a good intro or first dish for Thai food?

Thai Fried Rice is so good. I'm so glad my work is just a couple minutes away from a Thai place, really saves my rear end when I don't have time to make lunch.

Toebone posted:

Drunken Noodles are my go-to Thai dish

This is a good choice too.

FishBulb posted:

Beans are fun

SHIELD YOUR EYES, CHILDREN! HE MAY TAKE ON DIFFERENT FORMS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wait, who the hell makes chili without tomatoes?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

They're doing a TV series of it, I think I read yesterday.

I did a drat double take when I saw bus stop ads for Training Day The Series.

weekly font posted:

Gene Hackman tries to make chicken salad out of chicken poo poo to no avail.

Watch Sandy B's The Net instead.

Watch THE SIEGE

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snak posted:

Has anyone rewatched Enemy of the State (1998) recently?

no but I watched Revenge of the Sith. Dang some poo poo mirroring reality there. Uh, but it was okay I guess. I didn't completely hate it. It does look better than the other prequels, but at the same time the overall style is just a little weird. If there's a real person in the frame, the shots are mostly dull slow zoom ins, but if it's all CG, the camera work is super stylized. It's quite inconsistent.

But Ewen McGregor and Ian McDermid kill it. And I kinda liked the exchange at the end which I never caught "I HATTTEEE CHUUU!" "You were my brother Anakin! I loved you!"

I wish he added a little spice to love, but ah well. It's okay, I guess. I dunno.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CelticPredator posted:

It does look better than the other prequels,

I'd heavily disagree, it's one of the ugliest movies I've ever seen. Everyone has a sickly halo around them, and the backgrounds are all so plasticky and fake-looking, it doesn't matter if they're CGI or practical sets, it's too shiny to be real.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's bad, but I feel like there's more of a handle on the whole style than in Attack of the Clones. I haven't seen TPM in a long, long time, so maybe that one is it.

It does feel very claustrophobic. Especially during the scene when Anakin is running to where Windu and Sheeeev are fighting. He hops out, and the green screen background doesn't quite follow him perfectly, and then Anakin runs, then stops because he probably ran out of room.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'd heavily disagree, it's one of the ugliest movies I've ever seen.

See more movies.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand. Are those screens supposed to demonstrate that it's not ugly?

edit: or are some of them from Attack of the Clones, and you're pointing out that it's uglier than Revenge of the Sith? I honestly can't tell and don't care.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I don't understand. Are those screens supposed to demonstrate that it's not ugly?

What's ugly? The rich colors? The contrasts between shapes? The composition?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only shot I like in the movie is when Anakin and Obi Wan clash their sabers together and the volcano explodes. Everything else is...ehhh. It's just too cartoony. I get why people like it, but it ain't my thang.

If it was like, a comic book movie or something, then I could be down with it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
yes

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

The only shot I like in the movie is when Anakin and Obi Wan clash their sabers together and the volcano explodes. Everything else is...ehhh. It's just too cartoony. I get why people like it, but it ain't my thang.

If it was like, a comic book movie or something, then I could be down with it.

... it's Star Wars. It is literally Flash Gordon serials with a higher budget.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Star Wars never looked like that before.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Star Wars never looked like that before.

Nah the OT at its best had a lot of vivid colors and sharp contrast between forms as well. Rogue One looked kinda muddy by comparison and it was the worse for it (despite being a good film overall.)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Maxwell Lord posted:

What's ugly? The rich colors? The contrasts between shapes? The composition?

No thought were put into any of these in those screencaps, they're all gently caress ugly with Vaseline lighting.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

X-Ray Pecs posted:

No thought were put into any of these in those screencaps, they're all gently caress ugly with Vaseline lighting.

"The light is very even in these compositions" is a basic observation, not a criticism

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My problem with the prequels, and I know this is like the worst thing to say in the Star Wars thread, but every shot just feels so boring. It's why I can't get 100% behind completely green screened films. It's totally a preference thing, because I can't quite imagine lining up a shot in a completely green environment, and wait for the CGI/Composite artists to fill that in.

It's probably why every dramatic shot is a dull slow zoom in, and not a neat dolly track or something. it just feels so sterile and bland. Like yeah, they could add pretty poo poo in the background...but that doesn't really excite me when it comes to shots. And I could totally forgive the films looking so ugly had the characters been good...but uh....

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of contrasts, do you see any loving shadows ANYWHERE?

Look at the shot with General Grievous. Look at the background. How is it such an evenly light an boring expansive grey space. What kind of space even is this? That whole shot looks like it's from a lovely videogame. And no, I don't mean because it's CGI. I mean because it's not an interesting scene. it's just a bunch of garbage filler. Like "grey sloping walls, sloping ceiling with some greebles on it. Okay, now fill in all that open space with robots. There. Done".

Contrasts between shapes? Is this a joke?

A bunch of round-headed dudes in a round room with abunch of spheres floating in it. Everything it purple. Just kidding, one of the dudes is blue.

A hanger made of trapazoids with triangle panels on the walls where a jedi dressed like a big beige trapezoid faces off against robots literally made out of trapezoids. Also beige. Some of the robots are grey, to match the ground which matches the walls, but the main robot is a beige robot with a grey cloak.

The space ship one is okay, I'll give you that.

edit: a bunch of posts happened while I was writing my post.

Hbomberguy posted:

"The light is very even in these compositions" is a basic observation, not a criticism

I would say that my criticism is "the very even lighting helps the sets (ha) seem less visually interesting and contributes to an sense of artificiality"

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 31, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Snak posted:

Yes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Yes the contrast here is clearly by accident. The gentle purple-gold below, a harsh chunky white-and-red war machine above, the first shot in the movie clearly says nothing about war at the heart of "utopia".

quote:

A seductive light show, cool waters and again gentle purples and blues, but look at who's sitting where. Anakin is at the center, and seated at his right hand is the Devil, telling him sweet, tempting half-truths. There is nobody on the other side.

quote:

Contrast between dingy, grey machinery and the sharp light of the displays behind. Already signs of violence, but the tin soldiers are holding in the background, making way for the main players. Grievous still occupies the position of power (center right), but Obi-Wan's getting up in his personal space.

quote:

Apocalypse in the background, a cool rational light space behind Obi-Wan, but they're both lit by the inferno. Anakin not only occupies the center-right but looms larger thanks to the perspective. This is not, at the moment, a meeting of equals. Anakin's at a high, Obi-Wan's trying to tempt him back to sanity.

Vaseline lighting? All the outlines and the textures are perfectly clear.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Look at the shot with General Grievous. Look at the background. How is it such an evenly light an boring expansive grey space.

Wrong, the right side of the room is clearly darker and more in shadow.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Contrast between dingy, grey machinery and the sharp light of the displays behind. Already signs of violence, but the tin soldiers are holding in the background, making way for the main players. Grievous still occupies the position of power (center right), but Obi-Wan's getting up in his personal space.

My screen must be totally jacked up, because nothing you describe is in this shot. It's completely bland. There is no contrast. No sharp light.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

My screen must be totally jacked up, because nothing you describe is in this shot. It's completely bland. There is no contrast. No sharp light.

Those orangey triangles in the background? The bright pastel oranges, the blue of the lightsaber, the sparks from the sabered droid?

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 31, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My issue with the prequels is they look so lovely in motion. You can get great screen caps but the active mis en scene is atrocious.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Maxwell Lord posted:

All the outlines and the textures are perfectly clear.

Yes, but it's not explicitly adapted from a comic book, therefore the pop art aesthetic is bad.

Snak posted:

There is a very sharp key light right behind Obi-Wan. Remember, good contrast is not 'chiaroscuro lighting with few compositional elements.' The oblong, alien architecture of the setting and the uncertain crowding of the droids are motivated.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My issue with the prequels is they look so lovely in motion. You can get great screen caps but the active mis en scene is atrocious.

Using screen-shots in order to better appreciate compositional elements is a bog-standard method of film criticism. The problem is that when you were observing the event 'in motion,' you weren't paying attention.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

all Star Wars should look like this

:smug:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I didn't realize you had an Obi wan action figure

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

did you watch my dredd movie. he got killed by dredd.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

did you watch my dredd movie. he got killed by dredd.

I apparently have not

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

all Star Wars should look like this

:smug:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

Using screen-shots in order to better appreciate compositional elements is a bog-standard method of film criticism. The problem is that when you were observing the event 'in motion,' you weren't paying attention.

I disagree.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's not like the film goes nuts in motion, though. Lucas' fairly conservative use of camera angles- the "medium shots everywhere" approach for which RLM gives him so much grief- actually has the upside of allowing greater control of the elements within the space, and this in fact WAS the style for much of the OT (Empire has a few more intense close ups though.)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Obviously I'm not going to win the "boring-rear end lighting in star wars looks like poo poo" argument.

But thinking about it made me notice, somehow for the first time, that lightsabers do not cast shadows. Which makes sense for all kinds of legacy reasons. And they're not blinding either. Hmm.

I'm starting to think these Star Wars aren't very scientific :colbert:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/5PD5Nm2.gifv

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Noice.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

jesus those movies had terrible cgi

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

*waits for the "IT WASN'T CGI THEY USED MINIATURES FOR STUFF* argument.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

God that's ugly.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
What video game is that from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
What was your favourite terrible product tie in with the Prequels?

Doritos 3D the way to gooooooo

• Locked thread