Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

MSRP is $106 so I don't see how $106.99 is actually a little lower than MSRP.

I mean... the math on MSRP is right above your post, so

Not sure what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The sets they released at launch actually turned out to be an incredible deal for anyone who bought them. I believe they were a little under $300 for 1 of every legendary and 2 of every rare, uncommon and common. Right now you could sell every legendary and that would easily be over $300.

Everything else that has been said I agree with though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bottom Liner posted:

I've just always been rubbed wrong by their "we're so slick so you can pay the premium for our Brand TM" style, and this is just an extension of that. Their saga sets also pissed me off since they said it includes a playset of the entire set (1 of each legendary) but I had to go through 3 channels of support to get confirmation that it doesn't include starter cards. Literally every other big online retailer is a better choice for FFG product.

MSRP is $106 so I don't see how $106.99 is actually a little lower than MSRP.

Yeah Team Covenant has pretty awful prices.

They came up when I was looking for acrylic X-Wing templates and range rulers. They want $55 for their Official Team Covenant Branded template set. An Etsy seller Curled Paw Creatives has a complete set for $20, and has 1,200+ reviews from buyers of that item. They look really nice too, and can be customized.

The blog entries are sometimes good though. Except for X-Wing Theorist, that guy's the worst.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Merauder posted:

I mean... the math on MSRP is right above your post, so

Not sure what to tell you.

How is $106.99 "actually a bit lower" than $106.99?

MSRP for a display box is not the same as adding up 36 individual boosters, so

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

How is $106.99 "actually a bit lower" than $106.99?

MSRP for a display box is not the same as adding up 36 individual boosters, so

Where are you getting your info that 106.99 is the "display" MSRP compared to the sum of the parts?

In my first hand industry experience a "display" of packs is always just a sum of the individual units contained within, and doesn't have a price assigned to it otherwise. If people charge less for a full display (see: MtG, most things in this model), that's fine and may even become standardized because that's how the marketplace works, but that pricing isn't from the manufacturer, which is exactly what MSRP is.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 30, 2017

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is there any place I can actually buy a box?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

canyoneer posted:

The blog entries are sometimes good though. Except for X-Wing Theorist, that guy's the worst.
I haven't seen him play in events for a while so I wonder how he is even still in the game. Does he just do Vassal games now?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I haven't seen him play in events for a while so I wonder how he is even still in the game. Does he just do Vassal games now?

No idea. I have no idea who he is.

I don't know if he's the worst, but his opinions about the game are.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

canyoneer posted:

Is he the one that thinks his homebrew poo poo doesn't stink because he thinks FFG uses his mods as design guidance?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

Is he the one that thinks his homebrew poo poo doesn't stink because he thinks FFG uses his mods as design guidance?

Same one who gripes that Card of the Day warps the meta too much and makes it so there's only one or two viable builds now.
Sometimes Palpatine, sometimes Zuckuss, sometimes Autothrusters.
Sorta ignores the huge amount of diversity in top 16 lists we see.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah sorry for bringing it up but I know him and just wondered how in touch he can be with the game now. I always assumed he was insufferable online since he brought up that he was the Theorist when I first met him in a tournament 2 years ago. I politely told him I didn't even know what team covenant was and that the pro tips and tricks I've learned was from playing some of the world's best on the regular. Does he do Destiny coverage now too?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I just finished opening my third box and have still yet to acquire a single Sith Holocron. I think I'm just going to punt the idea of ever playing Blue Villains and sell my 3 Vaders and 6 Dookus.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

siggy2021 posted:

I just finished opening my third box and have still yet to acquire a single Sith Holocron. I think I'm just going to punt the idea of ever playing Blue Villains and sell my 3 Vaders and 6 Dookus.

Your boxes sound similar to mine, until the last 2 I opened which both had 2 Sith Holocrons. So I have 2 extra. I'm probably gonna put up a big lot on Ebay today of all my extra stuff and just keep 2 of everything. I can't see myself ever having 2 decks, but if I do i'll try to make it just 2 completely different decks with no crossover.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Second Luke acquired, whoop whoop. I'm sure I can do *something* with him, he just seems harder than Vader for some reason.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Helion posted:

Second Luke acquired, whoop whoop. I'm sure I can do *something* with him, he just seems harder than Vader for some reason.

Let me know what you figure out.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

ShowTime posted:

Your boxes sound similar to mine, until the last 2 I opened which both had 2 Sith Holocrons. So I have 2 extra. I'm probably gonna put up a big lot on Ebay today of all my extra stuff and just keep 2 of everything. I can't see myself ever having 2 decks, but if I do i'll try to make it just 2 completely different decks with no crossover.

Same here for the first two boxes I opened, they were nearly identical except for the legendaries. Before opening the third box (which I hadn't planned on but the disappointment of the second box fueled some rage rips) I had a total of 4 Holocrons, 4 Datapads, 4 Survival Gear, 4 First Order Ties, and 4 Infantry Grenades. First two are fine, they have value. The last three are worthless.

Clearly the randomization of the rares between boxes is highly suspect.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Benthalus posted:

Same here for the first two boxes I opened, they were nearly identical except for the legendaries. Before opening the third box (which I hadn't planned on but the disappointment of the second box fueled some rage rips) I had a total of 4 Holocrons, 4 Datapads, 4 Survival Gear, 4 First Order Ties, and 4 Infantry Grenades. First two are fine, they have value. The last three are worthless.

Clearly the randomization of the rares between boxes is highly suspect.

The decision to make some, but not all, starter cards also available as rares in random boosters is so bizarre.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

canyoneer posted:

The decision to make some, but not all, starter cards also available as rares in random boosters is so bizarre.

I assumed it's to get people to buy 2 of each starter instead of 1 each that you normally would.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
eLuke is really good my guys

Really good

Probably better than Vader for what he does at cost

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

I assumed it's to get people to buy 2 of each starter instead of 1 each that you normally would.

If that is the case they should have made them all starters only. The box in opened today so had 2 Rey's staff, 2 BB8, 2 Jedi Robes, 2 Tie Fighters, and an infantry grenade off the top of my head. It was super depressing.

I'm glad I got it on the cheap with those Canadian exchange rates.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

canyoneer posted:

An Etsy seller Curled Paw Creatives has a complete set for $20, and has 1,200+ reviews from buyers of that item. They look really nice too, and can be customized.

I picked some of those up with their tournament box. The tokens are really nice, but they are a lot bigger than any of the others I've seen. Personally I like the size, but it is kind of weird at first.

The tournament box is really nice. I put some felt in the lid and now it makes for a very convenient dice rolling tray. I'll throw up some pictures of both when I get home.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

siggy2021 posted:

If that is the case they should have made them all starters only. The box in opened today so had 2 Rey's staff, 2 BB8, 2 Jedi Robes, 2 Tie Fighters, and an infantry grenade off the top of my head. It was super depressing.

I'm glad I got it on the cheap with those Canadian exchange rates.

Did you get yours from 401games the other day? Mine has a tracking number but no update on the tracking number.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

guts and bolts posted:

eLuke is really good my guys

Really good

Probably better than Vader for what he does at cost

Luke/Ackbar lays the hate on my Rey/Qui-gon deck in ways Vader has never managed to. It's just so painfully consistent. I think burning Luke first is correct, but the ackbar focus sides were so strong. I'm actually looking forward to playing against the guy again to see if I can turn the game around this time.

ShowTime posted:

This guy.

Traded with ShowTime here, he gets my vote of approval. Shipped quickly, everything was packed really well, and was great for shipping advice. Would trade again, and would buy his poo poo on eBay if I needed anything.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

ShowTime posted:

Did you get yours from 401games the other day? Mine has a tracking number but no update on the tracking number.

Yeah, 401 games. They were great all around, called me to make sure the address was right because USPS replaces my city with the much larger one next door. The tracking did take a bit to update, though.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Considering dropping an Awakenings from my eHan/eRey to make room for Dodge, possibly changing other stuff as well. eBala/Jango/Trooper is just oppressively powerful and I need to include more tech cards against it, I think.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Dodge is a solid meta call. It's basically don't get blown out.card. Sometimes it'll sit in your hand, but then sometimes it'll remove 3 or more dice and then win you the game.

Anally Yours
May 31, 2003
Mooolti-pass!
Boardgamebliss just got some more booster boxes in. Get em while they're hot.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Anally Yours posted:

Boardgamebliss just got some more booster boxes in. Get em while they're hot.

wtf is a gravity feed?

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

wtf is a gravity feed?

You open the booster box and gravity feeds you booster? Idk it's dumb.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Looks like TeamCovenant has 3 in stock

gogogogo

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

So I've got 2 boxes on the way now, and I'm tempted to ebay scalp a 3rd...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

So I've got 2 boxes on the way now, and I'm tempted to ebay scalp a 3rd...

Ask me about the 10 boxes I'm sitting on :smaug:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

canyoneer posted:

:popeye:

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

canyoneer posted:

So how about those 10 boxes you're sitting on?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

stoko posted:

So how about those 10 boxes you're sitting on?

They're alright, thanks for asking.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

canyoneer posted:

They're alright, thanks for asking.

Well that's a relief. I was concerned when you told us to ask about them.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

wtf is a gravity feed?

It's what Wizkids called their dicemasters and heroclix booster boxes, since you open it at the bottom and let packs drop down. Destiny uses a similar booster box style.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

frameset posted:

It's what Wizkids called their dicemasters and heroclix booster boxes, since you open it at the bottom and let packs drop down. Destiny uses a similar booster box style.

It's hardly a Wizkids thing. It's an incredibly common term in the industry of toys and collectibles, especially in more tchotchke categories like mini figures, trading cards, sticker packs, etc. Walk through the card aisle in the front end of a Target and the whole wall is covered in gravity feeds. The term isn't common in TCGs since most (all until Destiny?) are packed in flat PDQs, but it's not a bizarre a thing.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 1, 2017

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah I had never heard the term before and the paranoid part of me was worrying that it was something dumb like team covenant's box subscription. Like gravity feed was a wacky Canadian term for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

So the more I've been playing the more I think of most decks I've made and seen online as being pretty gimmicky, instead of "real."

A real deck:
  • functions effectively even if you don't roll the nuts
  • has a clear strategy that each card in the deck is trying to accomplish
  • maybe runs some combo cards, but does not need them to function
  • does not revolve around exploiting obvious loopholes or poorly worded/designed cards

Thus, the eBala/Jango/Trooper deck, while frustrating, is very much a "real" deck, to me - if you roll well you can capitalize, but there's dice control in there to mitigate damage, plus you have three characters, plus you have dice-independent means of creating damage. eLuke decks tend to feel close to being "real," but very often in my own deckbuilding and when talking to others, you reach a point where you've kinda finished your midrange concept and then you just start throwing in good cards because they're good. When you have a limited cardpool this is obviously going to be the case sometimes, and gimmicks don't necessarily mean a deck is bad - just that it probably isn't as consistent or sound.

Poe/HG/HG is basically a "real" deck that includes an exploitative combo; if you took out the Hyperloop I think that the shell is still a good foundation for a deck. Han/Rey is probably a "real" deck, although I do think Rey is likely to be errata'd/banned long before something like Sith Holocron. I've had a lot of success with my Han/Rey deck to this point, barring a disappointing tourney showing, and the very real possibility that they change Rey to be once per turn or just ban her outright has me leaning toward practicing the midrange eLuke playstyle much more than I had been.

My thinking is that as the cardpool expands, aggro will naturally find itself a niche but won't overwhelm the game in the way that it currently seems to, for me; and also that midrange decks will become a much more viable option as people find that right groove (survive past an aggro deck's spam, but finish off control decks before you're locked down). To that end, I'm down for getting advice on eLuke shells from anyone in the thread, or hearing about experiences or whatever. My eLuke deck feels decent but not really good, and I'm struggling to come up with changes for it. IBAT doesn't seem like the answer, so maybe I put in some OwtF? Do I just punt on Jango matchups and include Dug In/Defensive Position when Jango currently dominates the meta? What card sleeves should I use? (I'm currently contemplating some lime green for the deck and black for the characters/battlefield.)

EDIT: for specificity, I think that the cards most likely to be banned or errata'd are Millennium Falcon and Rey, in that order, though I'm not sure they should be. I wouldn't be surprised if Millennium Falcon exiled any free events it plays in an errata, or if Rey is changed to once per turn or even once per round.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 1, 2017