Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

In Endless space 2, two days ago there was an early tech called something foam that let you move directly. I have a quest that I need to own a star that isn't near me. I mean it's right near me but there are no paths to it> What research now lets me get there without spending twenty millenia killing my way across every other nation and pirate all the way around the galactic spiral to find the connect the dots answer?

e: apparently the thing just says "increase move speed" but it also does that thing. Nevermind?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It's rare earths in the science/blue tree, iirc. The "free movement" means your ships can move without using the star lanes

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The quest told me there was a star system out in the boonies with no paths to or from it. Was that just for me and my quest? Are there others out there?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Several. Look at your starting scout ship. I has an icon shaped like sputnik. Click on that and it'll send them out into the void to find stuff. If it crosses a non-lanes planet it'll let you know.

You can typically find one near each starting position

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

But I need those starting probes to auto-identify anomalies and atmospheric dealies. And then a pirate will kill my unarmed scout ship on turn five so I never get a recharge. And before I did anomalies I would fire those off either directly down a lane or split the difference between two narrow lanes hoping there was a good system a short distance away worth colonizing.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I have no idea how to succeed as Cultists, I feel like an idiot.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Krinkle posted:

But I need those starting probes to auto-identify anomalies and atmospheric dealies. And then a pirate will kill my unarmed scout ship on turn five so I never get a recharge. And before I did anomalies I would fire those off either directly down a lane or split the difference between two narrow lanes hoping there was a good system a short distance away worth colonizing.

How are you losing ships to pirates? They never attack mine unless they're blockading a system.

Its more a mid-late game thing. Once you've found all the anomalies on your main system and first couple likely expansions, start tossing them everywhere to find hidden systems. They seem to either come with really good planets, or nothing at all, though. Very hit or miss.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

All pirates attack the unarmed horatio probes every turn, always? They never don't attack. I don't understand the question. They follow you as you retreat and fight you again before you can leave the system, too.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

Serephina posted:

So, after buying E.Legend on a lark, my personal update:
-Combat is bland? I auto-resolved everything. Even watching the AI play it out is too drat slow. What he said.
Combat can definitely be hit or miss, auto resolve should be used much of the time. There ARE times it really shines though, generally in large, evenly matched fights. In those you have to very carefully watch initiative orders, and make heavy use of special abilities for individual units while attempting to spread damage your units take around. In multiplayer (which unfortunately is really how the game is meant to be played) this has even more emphasis.

Serephina posted:

-The AI is bad. Not Civ5-1UPT levels of bad, but being able to muster an army, murder a neighbor, and still be on top of the economy game on my first playthrough is telling.

The AI on default difficulty is easily snowballed, yes. On higher difficulties they're just given unfair advantages in early game unit counts and tech, but it does make it hard. Harder difficulties basically just force you to overcome the first conflict with your nearest neighbor, after which you either lose, or you win and the resources you gain put you back onto the snowball track.

Again, the game really shines best in multiplayer, which is unfortunate (though I'm still a big fan of it).

Serephina posted:

-The tech tree looks good on paper, but probably has a bunch of 'do not skip, ever' techs on it that I'm slowly finding out about. Like, say, being able to recruit loving heroes. Incidentally, the game really does harshly punish going back to pick up previous era techs, seems like the discount should be cheaper etc.
There's some tech tree issues with the game but remember that one of the greatest strengths of EL is the playstyle differences between races. A lot of techs exist to complement specific playstyles. Don't dismiss something until you've tried more of the races. Though there are some must have techs, how quickly you get them from game to game can vary dramatically.

Serephina posted:

-Perhaps its an AI thing, but the game really does feel empty of the competition until you go banging on their doors.
Yeah just turn up the difficulty to the second to highest setting or so, and they'll definitely come after you. Again though, the brute force advantages they give the AI to make it more difficult will feel cheap.

Play multiplayer if you can, but I understand why that isn't an option for some people, which really limits the game in my opinion.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

A recipe for sadness in Endless Legend:

- Play as Allayi
- Build up cities around your capital so you can leave it sparsely defended
- Rampage across the map with Guardians until only 3 empires remain
- Activate the quest step that summons the big Nemesis army to your territory
- Get your capital razed by said big army before your reinforcements can arrive
- Win an battle with your huge fuckoff Water Guardian, notice that an enemy city has no troops in its garrison
- Take the city before you realize it was another empire's capital
- Hand the easiest Supremacy victory ever to the third empire
- Mope about it on the internet

:smith:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

D'oh. Yeah, I think they need to update the rules so Supremacy only kicks in when one side has conquered all the other capitals.

I had a similar problem when I was steamrolling everyone as Cultists. They auto-raze any conquered cities, and they can't technically prevent others from settling in the razed areas. My super-army was wiping out several continents when I found out to my dismay that some Broken Lord AI player was settling in all of them. They got an Expansion victory on me!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Speedball posted:

My super-army was wiping out several continents when I found out to my dismay that some Broken Lord AI player was settling in all of them. They got an Expansion victory on me!

To be fair, that's kind of awesome if lovely. Compare it to a lot of other 4x ais and you'd never get opportunistic poo poo like that happening.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

God drat Endless Space 2 is buggy.

I love it, but I have to keep closing and reopening the game to get it to stop being buggy for a while.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Is there a mod or option I can't find in Endless Legend that will makes the labels on cities take up less space? My only gripe with this game is that I have to zoom in and out to look around the giant city labels on the map.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is endless Legend worth it? There is a LOT of dlc and it's expensive $100 for the game + dlc

Can't even use a humble discount on it because humble doesn't have some of the dlc.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's a super sweet game, I struggle to get into it for some reason but it is really good.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Try just the base game first if there isn't a sale. It's a good game but it's not my favorite, personally.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
ES2 is getting better but drat if it's insanely inscrutable at times. Did you know that in terms of weapon ranges, Short beats Long beats Medium beats Short? Because I sure as gently caress didn't!

Also, if you want to play it right now, I can definitely recommend turning off pirates for the meantime. Their spawn rates are just batshit insane as of this patch.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Flipswitch posted:

It's a super sweet game, I struggle to get into it for some reason but it is really good.

This is me. I know, objectively, Endless Legends is one of the best scifantasy 4x's you can find, but for some reason I've never beaten a single match because it feels, I dunno, empty? I want to say it's the AI, but the AI is mad decent and interacting with it is better than anything you'll ever do in a civ game. Maybe I should try the game multiplayer, but goons seem too good for me to pose even a minor threat.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The AI in EL is awful but it's still leagues better than Civ, but I have the same feeling with EL. I just find it hard to get hooked into it, weirdly enough I never have this issue with ES or ES2. I think I just need to sit down and play a full game of EL and it might grab me.

Dunno who to play though, might try Necrophages.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

ES2 is getting better but drat if it's insanely inscrutable at times. Did you know that in terms of weapon ranges, Short beats Long beats Medium beats Short? Because I sure as gently caress didn't!

Also, if you want to play it right now, I can definitely recommend turning off pirates for the meantime. Their spawn rates are just batshit insane as of this patch.

Yeah the pirates are loving insane right now for the spawn rates. I have to constantly have a fleet maxed out, and have several fleets maxed out on the planets I have controlled as to not gently caress up the rest of the game consistently because where the gently caress are these pirates coming from

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The minor races, much like the minor race villages in Endless Legend, spawn pirate fleets. Instead of being a controlled rate like in EL, they're pumping them out like wildfire. Hopefully this is tweaked in the future, but right now factions that are looking to conquer the galaxy anyway are at an advantage because they'll just take the fleets they use to crush pirates and use them to crush their foes.

Which reminds me, I still need to complete my United Empire game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I can't wait to get the big huge maps from ES going, these maps are just too small...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Tbh best way to deal with pirates is just curb stomp their planets as Cravers and let the good times roll.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I absorb every minor faction the turn I meet them, and the pirates still keep spawning. Pretty sure they can also spawn from any system that isn't currently within anyone's detection radius, like they did in ES1.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I'm digging ES2.

One thing though, I'm doing the United Empire militarist quest, but i am stopped at 'enact 4 militarist laws'

i can only get 2 going at once, the other slots are locked. How do I open up those slots? Change government?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Willfrey posted:

I'm digging ES2.

One thing though, I'm doing the United Empire militarist quest, but i am stopped at 'enact 4 militarist laws'

i can only get 2 going at once, the other slots are locked. How do I open up those slots? Change government?

some research down the tree unlocks it

the new circle thing makes it hard to find things, like new ships are under loving empire management

wut

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
man. I hate to be annoying but where on that tree? On the left half with all the government techs? I read thru then all last night and saw nothing about laws. im playing the united empire btw

edit: thinkin it may be bugged, lots of code jibberish in the place of the name of laws.

Also keep getting bugged systems when converting industry to dust or science. permanently 0's out my industry so i cant build new structures unless i do a buyout.

will have to finish up my game and come back to it in several months.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 1, 2017

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Willfrey posted:

man. I hate to be annoying but where on that tree? On the left half with all the government techs? I read thru then all last night and saw nothing about laws. im playing the united empire btw

edit: thinkin it may be bugged, lots of code jibberish in the place of the name of laws.

Also keep getting bugged systems when converting industry to dust or science. permanently 0's out my industry so i cant build new structures unless i do a buyout.

will have to finish up my game and come back to it in several months.

It's in the last tier of the left quadrant (Empire Management?). It gives +1 laws to Republic and Federation, and +2 laws to Democracy.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is endless Legend worth it? There is a LOT of dlc and it's expensive $100 for the game + dlc

Can't even use a humble discount on it because humble doesn't have some of the dlc.

Just get the base game and play with someone who compulsively buys every expansion, then you get the expansions too.

As long as I host all my basic game friends can play alayi and fishdogs and whatever.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wouldn't get it at full price. I think it was $20 for me with all DLC in the steam sale just past. Wait a few months and it'll come back down

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Regarding EL, I bounced off it a few times until I tried different factions that fit my playstyle better than I realized. I started with vaulters and wasn't really feeling it but when I played a cultist game it clicked and I had a good time with the broken lords too. So I'd recommend trying out a faction that mixes up the usual 4x civ mechanics.

Also the game and the dlc were just on sale through steam so it may be a little bit until they are again, but the base game is plenty fun.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 2, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Has anyone played EL with this improved AI mod? I just finished a game on Normal Difficulty against the AI and they did like, three things to me total before I wiped the floor with them. My economy was a greater threat than they were!

So, yeah: if this mod delivers what it promises I'm going to have fun on the next highest difficulty. :getin:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Really wish amplitude would put out an Endless universe art book. So much money would be thrown at it

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I have no idea how to succeed as Cultists, I feel like an idiot.

Cultists rule at building tall and snatching up all the wonders, but you have to be really, intensely, counterintuitively expansionistic to pull it off. You'll want to be very aggressive about actively converting minor faction villages as each one gives you +1 worker, plus FIDS and strategic and luxury resources from its vicinity; if you can spare the dust, it can be worthwhile to just walk up to a village, bribe it, and convert it rather than loving around with quests or cranking up the influence cost of conversion by burning it down first.

Get access to the mercenary market early on - you can sell all your spare converted dudes when you need a quick influx of dust, and you'll benefit from grabbing a second hero so one can govern your megacity while the other rampages around spreading the gospel of the spooky sad robot queen.

Finally: if you're in a position to launch an opportunistic attack on an enemy with a weak military, do it. The Cultists benefit enormously from that kind of aggression since it scores them stockpiles, removes opposition, and doesn't produce any expansion or conquest unhappiness (because they just loving burn the cities down instead of conquering them). You can use those stockpiles to fart out more units to send into battle alongside your hideously strong killing machine of a Cultist hero, or you can pile them all into rushing another wonder to incorporate into your gigantic loving city and subsequently raise to district level 3 as a grotesque monument to your own hubris. Level 3 districts are really loving good and you can keep your happiness high and your FIDS higher by planning to have as many of them as possible.

e: oh, and the rewards for their quest line are nuts. After a certain point you'll gain access to a trinket that grants Regeneration 3 and can be equipped by any of your Cultist heroes and units, which is exactly as ridiculous as it sounds when used to assemble an immortal honour guard for the invincible demon-king warrior-prophet that your hero has become by that point.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 6, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Cultists rule at building tall and snatching up all the wonders, but you have to be really, intensely, counterintuitively expansionistic to pull it off. You'll want to be very aggressive about actively converting minor faction villages as each one gives you +1 worker, plus FIDS and strategic and luxury resources from its vicinity; if you can spare the dust, it can be worthwhile to just walk up to a village, bribe it, and convert it rather than loving around with quests or cranking up the influence cost of conversion by burning it down first.

Get access to the mercenary market early on - you can sell all your spare converted dudes when you need a quick influx of dust, and you'll benefit from grabbing a second hero so one can govern your megacity while the other rampages around spreading the gospel of the spooky sad robot queen.

Finally: if you're in a position to launch an opportunistic attack on an enemy with a weak military, do it. The Cultists benefit enormously from that kind of aggression since it scores them stockpiles, removes opposition, and doesn't produce any expansion or conquest unhappiness (because they just loving burn the cities down instead of conquering them). You can use those stockpiles to fart out more units to send into battle alongside your hideously strong killing machine of a Cultist hero, or you can pile them all into rushing another wonder to incorporate into your gigantic loving city and subsequently raise to district level 3 as a grotesque monument to your own hubris. Level 3 districts are really loving good and you can keep your happiness high and your FIDS higher by planning to have as many of them as possible.

e: oh, and the rewards for their quest line are nuts. After a certain point you'll gain access to a trinket that grants Regeneration 3 and can be equipped by any of your Cultist heroes and units, which is exactly as ridiculous as it sounds when used to assemble an immortal honour guard for the invincible demon-king warrior-prophet that your hero has become by that point.

I appreciate the advice, and I'd like to get to this point someday but I always get savagely murdered in the early game. Their units seem rather... bad.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The Preacher is really mostly a utility unit for converting villages; his buff is actually pretty sweet, so he's a nice support unit, but obviously they're not meant to fight for themselves.

Your basic modus operandi should be to drown your opponents in relentless attrition warfare with all the poo poo minors that keep spawning for free. For your dedicated elite army you actually spend production on, you're meant to assimilate the most useful minors available for your frontline and kit them out appropriately. Cultist archers are actually pretty sweet and well worth researching - doubly so as there's not that many minor race missle troops. Never really bothered with cultist cavalry, so idk maybe they're good, maybe not.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Cavalry are super easy to replace with a cool minor faction troop. Archers less so.

As you can see there are only two ranged minor faction units, the Tetikes and the Orcs.

They have pretty decent attack but their other stats are nothing worth writing home about. Especially not compared to the Cultists archers.

You can easily replace the cultist's cavalry with the Demons (Kazanji) as a bonus assimilating Kazanji villages gives you a big influence bonus which you can use to subjugate even more villages and buy the entire board of policy upgrades every single time. Cultists starting with Kazanji is an XK end of game scenario.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I can't stop restarting with Broken Lords to try to fine-tune the perfect custom faction setup for them. I have a problem :(

Entrepreneur (+1 Dust per population) is obviously good as hell for them in the lategame when they have craptons of heavily populated cities, and I like to swap their titanium armour tech out for one that sees more consistent use right at the start, or for a trait that will benefit them more in the long run (like Businessmen). I tried a pillaging-focused setup but it was finicky, not especially lucrative, and heavily dependent on constantly annoying the poo poo out of one's neighbours instead of doing something more productive with one's units.

Post your goofy hyperspecialized custom faction setups.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I appreciate the advice, and I'd like to get to this point someday but I always get savagely murdered in the early game. Their units seem rather... bad.

As cultists generally try to stack +% buffs to compensate for the fact that most of your manpower is going to be converted village units. Assimilation bonuses in particular can be really, really powerful for you because of your generally-better flexibility to move around the map and hoover up appropriate villages, but it's obviously up to chance (and conversion's utility is also pretty dependent on map size generally). I try to get Kazjani first for the influence buff and then Hurnas for attack.

Conversion is also a really fun mechanic to try out with other races in the empire editor. Allayi in particular are pretty OP with aspirating Skyfins making up for only having one city.