Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She and all her friends died and no one lived happily ever after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

She and all her friends died and no one lived happily ever after.

Fitting really

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Affleck is not tired of playing Batman, he's sick of nerds and their media asking him about the Batman movie every time they talk to him. He's a pretty good Batman actor and I'd be happy if he can continue doing that without being distracted by directing and editing the movie too. Live By Night shows what happens when he has to act and direct under stressful conditions.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not being the director isn't going to change that so either he is an idiot or that has nothing to do with it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I think he just wants to play Batman but doesn't necessarily think directing the film is the best way to see it developed. I don't think he's really ducking any 'fan hate' or whatever. If he were worried about that, he'd be blowing the horn full steam ahead instead of saying totally banal poo poo like, "Things take time to come together" and "Maybe I'll share the creative workload."

Like, what's gonna happen, Mark Kermode is gonna make fun of him and he'll, like, have his feelings hurt for a second before he goes back to his Eyes Wide Shut parties?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

because all the stuff that made him interesting was more or less undone by the end of that movie when he got over his paranoia and stopped killing people.

That stuff needed to go, though, by the end of the movie. Everyone who didn't trust Superman needed to have that part of themselves cured, especially if we're talking about a hero like Batman.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is officially the part of nerd movies that even I don't give a poo poo about.

If a movie I like makes money and that means they make more movies like it, good. If not, too bad.

I'm really interested in the business side of the industry, but even I didn't read that mess.

Casimir Radon posted:

Is the DC franchise going to fail this early?

Probably not. It's sputtering, but not in a way that marks it as immediately doomed. They'll keep trying since it has a built in return for each film, though they might start getting cheaper.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It does seem daunting, though, that Affleck would be expected to direct, write, act (sometimes in costume), supervise the editing and maintain a physical condition for a movie with almost a $200 million budget which is something on a scale he has never done before and few other filmmakers had before this.

People loved his Batman in BvS and everything that was not Affleck's acting had to do with the costume design, direction and editing which were all someone else's job.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

K. Waste posted:

Like, what's gonna happen, Mark Kermode is gonna make fun of him and he'll, like, have his feelings hurt for a second before he goes back to his Eyes Wide Shut parties?

Money doesn't protect you from mockery. In fact, it makes it sting even more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

It does seem daunting, though, that Affleck would be expected to direct, write, act (sometimes in costume), supervise the editing and maintain a physical condition for a movie with almost a $200 million budget which is something on a scale he has never done before and few other filmmakers had before this.

People loved his Batman in BvS and everything that was not Affleck's acting had to do with the costume design, direction and editing which were all someone else's job.

I was really looking forward to behind the scenes photos of Affleck in full Batman gear, sitting in a director's chair.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If WB manages to get George Miller or Denis Villeneuve to direct Affleck in the solo Batman film, that will quell my worries a bit.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You know who said he wanted to direct a DC Comic movie? Chris McKay, director of The LEGO Batman movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

If WB manages to get George Miller or Denis Villeneuve to direct Affleck in the solo Batman film, that will quell my worries a bit.

Or Tim Burton!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Or Tim Burton!
Depp can do his mo-cap work from rehab.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

The MSJ posted:

Affleck is not tired of playing Batman, he's sick of nerds and their media asking him about the Batman movie every time they talk to him. He's a pretty good Batman actor and I'd be happy if he can continue doing that without being distracted by directing and editing the movie too. Live By Night shows what happens when he has to act and direct under stressful conditions.

Nah, from the gossip blogs, he's on a downward midlife crisis spiral.

Renewed rumours of alcoholism, and gambling habits.. marriage split but still living together for like a year now? probably jealous that younger less talented, uglier, rapist brother is gonna get an actor oscar before him. not a great year for the guy personally.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CelticPredator posted:

He's still bitter about Alien 3.

Which like, makes me wonder why he didn't just make it himself. He obviously had an end goal in mind for Ripley.

I don't really remember if he ever talked about doing it on the making of's. Although I could be wrong. It's been a good few years since I've seen 'em.

Alien 3 is better than Aliens. Well, Assembly cut anyway.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

MonsieurChoc posted:

Alien 3 is better than Aliens. Well, Assembly cut anyway.

Nope. The Assembly cut is fine but it's still not a particularly good film.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mel Gibson for Daddy's Home 2.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/mel-gibson-eyed-for-daddys-home-2-154948288.html

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't think Gibson can make it that long without doing something unforgivable.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

I don't think Gibson can make it that long without doing something unforgivable.

Like Daddy's Home 2

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Casimir Radon posted:

I think it depends on the outcome of the Wonder Woman and Justice League movies, to be honest. And even then if they have a bad reception I don't think it will kill it. Cripple them maybe. And they'll probably struggle more with the lesser known DC heroes.

That said, Suicide Squad did very well, despite the fact it was a) about relatively unknown characters, sans the Joker, Harley Quinn and Will Smith, and b) complete trash, so what do I know. :shrug:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 1, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Suicide Squad did well enough that they are doing another movie focused on Harley Quinn with David Ayer.

edit:
And Will Smith like working with Ayer enough they are doing the Netflix orc cop movie right now. When is that coming out anyway?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think it depends on the outcome of the Wonder Woman and Justice League movies, to be honest. And even then if they have a bad reception I don't think it will kill it. Cripple them maybe. And they'll probably struggle more with the lesser known DC heroes.

That said, Suicide Squad did very well, despite the fact it was a) about relatively unknown characters, sans the Joker, Harly Quinn and Will Smith, and b)complete trash, so what do I know. :shrug:

I mean, no matter how good they might end up being, I think it can be assumed at this point that anything DCEU related will get a bad reception.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The MSJ posted:

Suicide Squad did well enough that they are doing another movie focused on Harley Quinn with David Ayer.

edit:
And Will Smith like working with Ayer enough they are doing the Netflix orc cop movie right now. When is that coming out anyway?

Wikipedia says they started filming parts in October of last year, and looks like projecting a release for this year.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

That said, Suicide Squad did very well, despite the fact it was a) about relatively unknown characters, sans the Joker, Harley Quinn and Will Smith, and b) complete trash, so what do I know. :shrug:

As much as Suicide Squad was justifiably reviled around here, I've heard a lot of people talking about how "awesome" it was. Naturally, these are all people with awful taste in films, but if there's one thing that the blockbuster model has taught us it's that there's a lot of people with bad taste in movies and they're willing to spend lots of money on them.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Random Stranger posted:

As much as Suicide Squad was justifiably reviled around here, I've heard a lot of people talking about how "awesome" it was. Naturally, these are all people with awful taste in films, but if there's one thing that the blockbuster model has taught us it's that there's a lot of people with bad taste in movies and they're willing to spend lots of money on them.

Of all the DC movies so far, it was the most explicitly similar to the MCU films, so the popular approval of Suicide Squad is entirely unremarkable. It does mean that we're probably gonna be getting a version of The Flash and what-have-you that's more spiritually akin to it than Snyder or Nolan's films, just without it being a joke.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Suicide Squad is groundbreaking for featuring a superhero team which has to fix a disaster they created themselves (Age of Ultron arguably also does this, although at least there are the non mutant siblings to gently caress things up to complicate the disaster) , just like the Trump administration so far.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

There's rumors of the early screenings of Wonder Woman being a disjointed mess with no narrative flow and that the trailers are, again, misleading.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Suicide Squad is groundbreaking for featuring a superhero team which has to fix a disaster they created themselves (Age of Ultron arguably also does this, although at least there are the non mutant siblings to gently caress things up to complicate the disaster) , just like the Trump administration so far.

I think you'll find that superheroes fixing a disaster they created was themselves was one of the very few "action" scenes in the 2005 Fantastic Four movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I think you'll find that superheroes fixing a disaster they created was themselves was one of the very few "action" scenes in the 2005 Fantastic Four movie.

By the way, Tim Story is directing a new Shaft movie. He is probably more famous for Ride Along nowadays.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
Johnny Depp spends 2m a month apparently

Standard coke fueled dumb shits, but wth is this?

quote:

$3 million to shoot Hunter S. Thompson’s ashes out of a cannon when the infamous writer died in 2005

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Femur posted:

Johnny Depp spends 2m a month apparently

Standard coke fueled dumb shits, but wth is this?

A guy in my class back in high school worshipped Hunter and apparently that's what he wanted

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Dudes worth a estimated 400 million dollars.

So at 2 million a month he can last 200 months or 16 years. Also that's probably all liquid capital. I mean he still get's residuals from Pirates and all his films. So he probably earns around 1 to 10 million a year in just like that. So yea, having a budget of spending 2 million a month is realistic.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 1, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also he keeps making movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

And now he has a new source of money playing Wizard Hitler.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah, he is worth a lot of loving money.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hey John Depp, give me .0005% of your money. I'll do something really cool with it. Trust me.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Dudes worth a estimated 400 million dollars.

So at 2 million a month he can last 200 months or 16 years. Also that's probably all liquid capital. I mean he still get's residuals from Pirates and all his films. So he probably earns around 1 to 10 million a year in just like that. So yea, having a budget of spending 2 million a month is realistic.

Didn't know he made that much off Pirates, or acting; because taxes and various fees could take out 50-60%.

I thought the money was behind the camera, and did not think he cared about that stuff and was kind of a flake druggie(not to judge, great choice if you can do it).

But guess not. The rumour of mass sell offs and sueing business managers and missed tax payments painted a different picture, but guess he has gently caress off money then.

but, why $3m for a cannon? Are they that expensive?

Femur fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 1, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The MSJ posted:

By the way, Tim Story is directing a new Shaft movie. He is probably more famous for Ride Along nowadays.

That's a real step down from Singleton, I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It was a big cannon with HST's signature double-thumbed fist at the top, which launched his ashes out of the hole at the center.

I imagine much of that was spent paying the engineering, fabrication, permits and for the after party.

• Locked thread