Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr. Belpit posted:

I like the implication that we all know what a "hyper war" even is.

The kinds of wars this guy fights in, I'm assuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm primarily curious as to the exact purpose and function of the Giza Mass Autism Array. Can any history buffs chime in on this one :allears:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Alhazred posted:

In the 17th century the highwayman Dick Dudley bought a merkin and sold it to the pope claiming it a piece of St Peter’s beard. Dudley was paid 100 ducats for the merkin.

I know that that's from QI, but I would still be very suspicious about it. English literature of the 17th to 19th centuries was full with accounts of robbers, conmen and highwaymen which were semi-fictionalised at best, and outright made up at worst. These stories were meant to entertain and educate, but not to seriously represent factual accounts of anything. This is why they functioned wonderfully as social and political commentary (Here's a paper about that), and this is also why any story where Catholics are represented as negatively as they are here (i.e. as gullible morons who mistake the pubes of a dead hooker that had been hanged for poisoning one of her johns for a holy relic) should be seen more as a reflection of the strongly anti-Catholic sentiments that were widespread in 18th-century England. Here's the fully story if you're curious.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Powaqoatse posted:

it's called the Mandela Effect & the old people have a website for it: http://mandelaeffect.com

Like for me, Mandela is a dude who came through insane isolation torture-prison, & became a president & is awesome – but there's apparently a bunch of (probably white?) people who think he died 20 years ago.

Eh, there's also the guy that in a whim made up a female Street Shark, edited some wikipedia page to make up a few episodes featuring her, and came back 10 years later to find that she had been accepted as gospel truth and people remembering her as their favorite.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.geek...656188/%3famp=1

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FELD1 posted:

I'm primarily curious as to the exact purpose and function of the Giza Mass Autism Array. Can any history buffs chime in on this one :allears:

It sent a blast wave that is still felt, in this very forum among other places. However the array destroyed itself because the bolts weren't set just right.

But obviously, the entire thing is one of the many faces of Spurdo Spärde and the Finnish meme supremacy.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Mr. Belpit posted:

I like the implication that we all know what a "hyper war" even is.

Make Hyperlove not Hyperwar, imo.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
You can't hug a child with hyper arms

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

You can't hug a child with hyper arms

I would have thought you would hug better if anything

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

NLJP posted:

I would have thought you would hug better if anything

In my mind they'd explode like in Watchmen.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

System Metternich posted:

I know that that's from QI, but I would still be very suspicious about it. English literature of the 17th to 19th centuries was full with accounts of robbers, conmen and highwaymen which were semi-fictionalised at best, and outright made up at worst. These stories were meant to entertain and educate, but not to seriously represent factual accounts of anything. This is why they functioned wonderfully as social and political commentary (Here's a paper about that), and this is also why any story where Catholics are represented as negatively as they are here (i.e. as gullible morons who mistake the pubes of a dead hooker that had been hanged for poisoning one of her johns for a holy relic) should be seen more as a reflection of the strongly anti-Catholic sentiments that were widespread in 18th-century England. Here's the fully story if you're curious.

I read a book that treated Propaganda-as-social-commentary, except using the French Wars of Religion. The Protestants were represented in exactly the same way as the English represented Catholics, proving that the English are the original talentless hacks who couldn't make up anything good unless they stole it from someone else.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phyzzle posted:

And Western Europe's term comes from the Sanskrit word naranj, a produce of Arabic traders first bringing them from India. Which is odd, because it's "portugal" in Arabic.

Apparently, naranj is used in Arabic specifically for 'a bitter orange', like the oranges they use in curacao and other liqueurs. Then the Portuguese showed up later with the first oranges that didn't taste like rear end, so common oranges are now named after them.

"Zürj" sounds suspiciously like a brand name for an Eastern European energy drink.

System Metternich posted:

I know that that's from QI, but I would still be very suspicious about it.

You should be very suspicious of it because it's from QI, the show too stupid to understand how the Moon works.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 10:07 on Jan 24, 2017

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

"Zürj" sounds suspiciously like a brand name for an Eastern European energy drink.

You should be very suspicious of it because it's from QI, the show too stupid to understand how the Moon works.

how does it work

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's a chariot driven by Selene, sister to Helios.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hogge Wild posted:

how does it work

They have repeatedly claimed that objects with orbit resonance of 1:1 are somehow moons of each other, or some such nonsense. And that as a result Earth has something like eight moons.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

QI isn't a history show, or a science show. Their primary goal is to be entertaining. Their fact-checking is atrocious and they'll blindly repeat urban myths and obviously made-up "facts" if they're funny.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Sweevo posted:

QI isn't a history show, or a science show. Their primary goal is to be entertaining. Their fact-checking is atrocious and they'll blindly repeat urban myths and obviously made-up "facts" if they're funny.

Any excuse to deduct points from Alan Davies.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Which Moon are we talking about?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

Any excuse to deduct points from Alan Davies.

This is my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmu47rpda24

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sweevo posted:

Their primary goal is to be entertaining.

Well, they fail in that too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's not always easy to distinguish real historical facts from a G.I.Joe cartoon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Tank

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

It's not always easy to distinguish real historical facts from a G.I.Joe cartoon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Tank

I don't care the practicality of it, seeing a swarm of those things headed towards you would be a def poo poo your pants moment

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't care the practicality of it, seeing a swarm of those things headed towards you would be a def poo poo your pants moment

Until one of their spindly rear end wheels falls off going over a bump and it turns into a circus clown like fuckup.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, they're like a slightly more dangerous penny-farthing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sweevo posted:

The Christmas special where they wholesale recount a load of horse poo poo about... Festivius or whatever is embarrassing, especially since that wasn't off-the-cuff but recited wholesale.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Walt Whitman and Oscar Wilde used to make out on the reg

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
This will always be my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvmq66op0G8
That and Alan bringing back some gimmick from a previous season and getting it right

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A fun historical fact: The statue of liberty was originally supposed to be an egyptian woman.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Alhazred posted:

A fun historical fact: The statue of liberty was originally supposed to be an egyptian woman.

Why?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Because making her look American takes too much copper.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bartholdi's design originated as a lighthouse for the Egyptians, which he conceived of as a statue of an Egyptian peasant woman holding a torch aloft. The Egyptians rejected it, but Bartholdi kept the idea alive and it gradually morphed into Columbia, the personification of America.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
The Statue of Liberty has a pointed crown in reference to the Colossus of Rhodes. The Colossus was a statue of the sun god Helios, including his crown of solar rays.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A fact I learned today is that the release mechanism on the Enola Gay malfunctioned during pre-flight tests and was only fixed in the hours before it took off to head towards Japan, and that if they'd been delayed until the following day, weather patterns would have meant that Tokyo would have been the only realistic target.

It's that whole butterfly effect / "for want of a nail" thing. You assume that history would have changed if Truman had said, "Let's hit Tokyo instead of Hiroshima," but it could well have been down to something as trivial as a damaged piece of machinery.

It's a bit like the thing about how Obama might not have been elected in 2006 if Seven-of-Nine's husband hadn't had an affair (or whatever that scandal was). So imagine that: Obama doesn't get into the senate in 2006; Hillary Clinton is elected president in 2008 and whoever she had as her vice-president (probably somebody like Deval Patrick) would have lost the election to, I don't know, Christine O'Donnell last November; Donald Trump probably never rejoins the Republicans and spends all his time trying to build golf courses in Scotland.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

A fact I learned today is that the release mechanism on the Enola Gay malfunctioned during pre-flight tests and was only fixed in the hours before it took off to head towards Japan, and that if they'd been delayed until the following day, weather patterns would have meant that Tokyo would have been the only realistic target.

It's that whole butterfly effect / "for want of a nail" thing. You assume that history would have changed if Truman had said, "Let's hit Tokyo instead of Hiroshima," but it could well have been down to something as trivial as a damaged piece of machinery.

It's a bit like the thing about how Obama might not have been elected in 2006 if Seven-of-Nine's husband hadn't had an affair (or whatever that scandal was). So imagine that: Obama doesn't get into the senate in 2006; Hillary Clinton is elected president in 2008 and whoever she had as her vice-president (probably somebody like Deval Patrick) would have lost the election to, I don't know, Christine O'Donnell last November; Donald Trump probably never rejoins the Republicans and spends all his time trying to build golf courses in Scotland.

We were all very grateful for Jeri Ryan for the last 8 years. Don't put Trump on her too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tokyo wasn’t on the target list. Truman wouldn’t have bombed it on a lark.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Julius Caesar as a young noble was once captured by Cilician pirates, and held for ransom, as was the custom at the time. When they demanded 20 talents for him, he laughed at them and told them to ask for 50 talents instead. For 38 days he was their prisoner and buddy, hanging out with them, eating meals together, competing in games and athletic contests, and he'd go yell at them to pipe down if they were too loud when he wanted to go to sleep.
He'd write speeches and poems and read them to them, and he'd mock them for not understanding them or appreciating him. He also told them that once he was free, he'd raise some ships and come back and crucify them all.
:yarr:Har har! Our new buddy Caesar is such a jokester!

Then when he was ransomed and released, he raised some ships and soldiers immediately when he got back to Italy.
He sailed straight back, captured them all, and had them crucified.
:agesilaus:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Platystemon posted:

Tokyo wasn’t on the target list. Truman wouldn’t have bombed it on a lark.

Tokyo had already been bombed like crazy, and part of the criteria was to bomb something that hadn't already been extensively bombed.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

canyoneer posted:

Julius Caesar as a young noble was once captured by Cilician pirates, and held for ransom, as was the custom at the time. When they demanded 20 talents for him, he laughed at them and told them to ask for 50 talents instead. For 38 days he was their prisoner and buddy, hanging out with them, eating meals together, competing in games and athletic contests, and he'd go yell at them to pipe down if they were too loud when he wanted to go to sleep.
He'd write speeches and poems and read them to them, and he'd mock them for not understanding them or appreciating him. He also told them that once he was free, he'd raise some ships and come back and crucify them all.
:yarr:Har har! Our new buddy Caesar is such a jokester!

Then when he was ransomed and released, he raised some ships and soldiers immediately when he got back to Italy.
He sailed straight back, captured them all, and had them crucified.
:agesilaus:

That is good stuff never knew that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

verbal enema posted:

That is good stuff never knew that.

Yeah the Romans didn't gently caress around.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I just enjoy him being a typical noble even when he has been captured and being ransomed.

HEY SHUT THE gently caress UP IM TRYNA SLEEP UP HEEAH

And then he did what nobles typically don't do and came back and murdered them all

Do we know that he got the same dudes or did he just Crucify some dudes and call it a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

verbal enema posted:

I just enjoy him being a typical noble even when he has been captured and being ransomed.

HEY SHUT THE gently caress UP IM TRYNA SLEEP UP HEEAH

And then he did what nobles typically don't do and came back and murdered them all

Do we know that he got the same dudes or did he just Crucify some dudes and call it a day

Same dudes. Supposedly, he was feeling merciful for his old friends and so had their throats cut prior to the crucifixion.