Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hopefully the Date in this game also has handlebars and exhaust on his horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It's a shame we didn't get the Sengoku Basara Muneshige Tachibana who dual wields chainsaws

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Trophies, spoilers obv https://www.exophase.com/game/nioh-ps4/trophies/

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I missed the demos but having looked at all the information on this today I am super excited. Dark Souls 3 was a very blah experience for me so I'm excited to try something similar but different.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
That trophy list has less spoilers than I was expecting (but still lots of spoilers)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That confirms only 5 weapon types like the demo. Sword, Dual Sword, Spear, Axe, Kusarigama.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
and fists!!!!!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Titles menu

You accomplish things to earn titles and get points to spend on stat boosts

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Relin posted:

and fists!!!!!

Fists were really bad in all previous releases. Low damage, you stagger on any blocked hit, no ability to use Ki Pulse, and an extremely limited base moveset with no new moves to purchase. It pretty much exists purely for blade catching (which won't work against like half of the enemies in the game).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
To be fair there might be some fist skills that were unrevealed. But yeah they won't have a full moveset like the rest of the weapons, they're a gimmick.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
While I am never any good at pvp in soulsgames, the potential for skilled pvpers to bladecatch will make it worth it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Fists were really bad in all previous releases. Low damage, you stagger on any blocked hit, no ability to use Ki Pulse, and an extremely limited base moveset with no new moves to purchase. It pretty much exists purely for blade catching (which won't work against like half of the enemies in the game).

I want blade catching to oneshot all human bosses if you go hard on investing in it, like how it did that guy in the last demo

you're poo poo at literally everything but spamming triangle while blocking or w/e it was

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Slightly disappointed they weren't keeping any super esoteric or weird weapons hidden until launch but 15 movesets + charge attacks, parries, and combo finishers is really good

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Genocyber posted:

they need to pander to the level 1 masochist crowd

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How well integrated was multiplayer? Never got a chance to experiment with it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Very good, the proper co-op mode is fun

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Relin posted:

they need to pander to the level 1 masochist crowd

It's more like it's weird that they'd have skills to unlock for unarmed fighting but then have it be so weak as to be pointless without the parry counter.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

poptart_fairy posted:

How well integrated was multiplayer? Never got a chance to experiment with it.

The random co-op is pretty much identical to Dark Souls but I read that the co-op with friends was a bit different.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I never was a big fan of Dark Souls co-op, but the Diablo style equipment definitely has more more interested in it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Equipment drops when doing co-op too.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Yeah that's what I mean, getting equipment drops makes co-op more worthwhile for me

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

RatHat posted:

I read that the co-op with friends was a bit different.

Progress is shared between friends (I think) so you can co-op the entire game together. There's an assist bar that drains whenever someone dies and if it empties you fail the mission. You can refill the bar at shrines and other actions. You can also revive your buddy if they die by touching their bloodstain

Loot is instanced in co-op so you don't have to fight for drops

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Can you trade items between co-op partners?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The password system seemed to work well and applies to both summons and yokai realm with companion

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Progress is shared between friends (I think) so you can co-op the entire game together. There's an assist bar that drains whenever someone dies and if it empties you fail the mission. You can refill the bar at shrines and other actions. You can also revive your buddy if they die by touching their bloodstain

Loot is instanced in co-op so you don't have to fight for drops

Holy poo poo, is that true? That owns, if so. I'll probably do my first playthrough totally solo but I'd love to do a co-op playthrough with a friend, too.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo, is that true? That owns, if so. I'll probably do my first playthrough totally solo but I'd love to do a co-op playthrough with a friend, too.

Well, if it works like it did in the final beta it sure seems so. If you start the mission in co-op mode the other player did not show up like a golden ghost, but like a normal character. And if you set a secret word there shouldn't be anything stopping you from playing with friends. Though the Muneshige mission couldn't be co-oped, at least I found no way for that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gonna get good enough to do a naked hand cannon / fists run

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Am becoming hype for this. I told myself I wasn't buying a PS4 just for Bloodborne by praying that this game would be good, and looking at the progress they've made across the 3 demos it looks like it will be :) I'll probably wait until that weekend to actually buy in case it somehow sucks and any day 1 bugs can be squashed, then start the download before I go to bed on Friday and watch the next 2 days disappear.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

lets hang out posted:

Dragon of the North – Venture deep into Japan’s embattled Northern provinces
Defiant Honor – Fight in the bloody Winter Campaign of the Siege of Osaka
Bloodshed’s End – Bring the Siege of Osaka to an end during the Summer Campaign

Dragon of the North is likely Date Masamune.

Defiant Honor is probably Sanada Yusuke; he held Sanada-maru with 7,000 men during the winter siege of Osaka.

Bloodshed's End is kinda a wildcard because there was so much going on then. Wouldn't surprise me if the big name'd NPC is Miyamoto Musashi, as he's a pretty big name and supposedly fought on Toyotomi's side during the battle.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If Nioh is a success as it appears it will be, I hope it encourages more of this sort of open playtesting from studios and publishers. I enjoyed experiencing the game develop and grow over time and it served to make the "demo" element of it feel meaningful. I don't think every game should do this, but I think it's something more developers should consider doing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Now that you bring up Miyamoto Musashi, I'm kinda hoping there's a seaside duel against him and he's got the oar and everything.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If Nioh is a success as it appears it will be, I hope it encourages more of this sort of open playtesting from studios and publishers. I enjoyed experiencing the game develop and grow over time and it served to make the "demo" element of it feel meaningful. I don't think every game should do this, but I think it's something more developers should consider doing.

Especially with anew IP with lots of ideas that they don't know while ones will resonate with fans. Its a giant playtest. I wonder how much it cost to put multiple times demos on the store.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Now that you bring up Miyamoto Musashi, I'm kinda hoping there's a seaside duel against him and he's got the oar and everything.

It will be a giant missed opportunity if you can't get an oar weapon at the very least. I mean yeah it'll probably just be an axe moveset or something but come on.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nioh was a running joke for so long that they kinda had to do something out-of-the-box to get people to take it seriously.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Policenaut posted:

:perfect:

Gigantic missed opportunity if this isn't the case.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

8-Bit Scholar posted:

KT has been doing this for years now specifically with Toukiden 1 and 2 which had multiple demos to show progress and request feedback.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Yes its true and I added explanations all about it in the OP! :cheeky:

You can play souls style both with randoms or with friends or solo, but then you can also play the game entirely different in the "yokai realm with companion mode" (terrible translation) with a friend.

Its great, Team Ninja actually thought through how co-op should work in this game. In Souls it was always meant for random co-op with co-op with your friends being this clunky thing that sorta was bolted on.

Playing that way means you don't have to use humanity/embers/cups as well, so you can just co-op infinitely all day. And you stay in a session even if the party wipes, so you don't have to re-summon ever. Its really slick.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Are you going to make a new thread for the release of the game, Zaphod? This hasn't been a cesspit like Souls pre-release threads tend to be but there's been enough discussion that it would probably make sense.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Twilight missions rotate daily, one low level and one high level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Leak spoilers: the starting area for the game

Also you get to choose your starting weapon from the 5 classes which is rad. Kusarigama playthrough baby!