Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Coolguye posted:

i think you might need a break
Eh, or just to post the real complaints in the Paradox forums I suppose. Griping over some of this stuff feels right though; like the fact that 3 out of the 4 fallen empires are in my backyard. I'm right next to a Stagnant Ascendancy, with the Xenophiles a bit further away and the Keepers of Knowledge a bit further away.

I know the holy dudes are there somewhere because my only real rival has found some of their worlds (but not colonized them, urgh).

Is it worth it to colonize that world, then give it to them or will they recognize it as a booby prize?

Also sweet Christmas, the upgraded pacifist ogliarchy giving you plus 10 core worlds is incredible. It lets me customize huge swathes of the universe before tossing them off to various sectors as it appeals to me.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have a feeling after after banks (or a hope I guess) that the next big system change will be everything to do with diplomacy, from vassals to trades to peace treaties.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
my response is less driven by the content and more driven by the reckless use of superlatives that leave no room for discussion

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Hey Wiz, can we get a toggle for our rallied ships to spawn as evasive or passive?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Coolguye posted:

my response is less driven by the content and more driven by the reckless use of superlatives that leave no room for discussion
lol

Man, watching my sectors sitting on all that sweet sweet energy makes me a bit sad I can't either shake them down or allow them to terraform. I could have them colonize themselves but seeing as they seem reluctant to build paradise domes for some baffling reason (though they do sometimes build field hospitals) so its kinda moot.

Baronjutter posted:

I have a feeling after after banks (or a hope I guess) that the next big system change will be everything to do with diplomacy, from vassals to trades to peace treaties.
Yeah, there's been a lotta good cross-pollination between CK2 and EUIV and I hope they'll bring some of that over to Stellaris.

Of course, the game aint perfect right away, gently caress, it's gonna be 5 years soon since CK2 came out, so it ain't like quality don't take time.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men
Well it's a Paradox game and it's their 1st attempt at a 4x game. The game was released with UI and game design issues which are being worked on, and we have seen some significant improvement in the last few patches to believe that Paradox will support and improve it for awhile. They have the track record for it if a game is successful. I recommend that you take a break from it until 1.5, which is what I am doing.

Still compared to how Distant Worlds was on release, Stellaris is a polished master piece. That game took 3 expansion packs to be something more than a tech demo. Stellaris was playable out of the box.

Kilravock fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 1, 2017

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

All this fleet composition talk, all I do is take as follows

corvette with two kinetic one energy
corvette with one kinetic one normal torpedo
destroyer with one kinetic two energy one flak
destroyer with one kinetic artillery one flak
cruiser with two kinetic artillery one energy one flak
cruiser with three energy torpedoes two kinetic two energy one flak
battleship with one lance three kinetic artillery one energy one flak
battleship with one giga cannon two fighters two kinetic one energy one flak

this generally deals with everyone absoulutely fine except the prethoryn the first time I found them, boy was that a surprise.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Priority #1 for federations is that they need to fix whatever it is that makes the federation navy not follow your orders. It's seriously so unbearably annoying.

It's annoying but easy to fix, just split 1 federation ship into a new fleet and move all the ships from the old fleet to the new one. It seems like the last order given before you get control gets stuck somehow in the federation fleet queue and you can fix it by making it a "new" fleet.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Magil Zeal posted:

It's annoying but easy to fix, just split 1 federation ship into a new fleet and move all the ships from the old fleet to the new one. It seems like the last order given before you get control gets stuck somehow in the federation fleet queue and you can fix it by making it a "new" fleet.

Wait? That's an order related bug? I thought the AI was just being a dick and refusing to stop sending orders to the fleet.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I really do love this game. Last night I finished up a game with a pretty cool victory. This one empire had been on my back all game, constantly sending me insults and poo poo. So I finally went to war with them and took about half their planets. They were full of understandably unhappy pops, but they were easily assuaged with propaganda broadcasts and virtual combat arenas. I also developed the cloning tech in that time. So I built a cloning facility on their most populous planet and set to building an army. After a few years, I had built up my doomfleet and decided to end the cold war with a surprise attack, blitzing their home system. Then I sent in the army of clones, led by a veteran general from the last war. The dropships touched down and these weird mammal guys just see legions of their own people march out and start blasting. They surrendered after two planets were taken by the clone army and I won the game.

Stellaris allows you to be pretty savage when you think creatively.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Serf posted:

The dropships touched down and these weird mammal guys just see legions of their own people march out and start blasting.

That happened in Oblivion. Good film.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So when are we getting the Sabaton soundtrack for stellaris, Wiz

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Magil Zeal posted:

Huh, interesting. Thanks.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Archonex posted:

Wait? That's an order related bug? I thought the AI was just being a dick and refusing to stop sending orders to the fleet.

I don't know for sure but it always seems to head for the same system when there's a problem. Usually the home system of the last owner of the fleet. In any case the fix works, or has always worked for me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/826777249504432130

:hellyeah:

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Of course, the game aint perfect right away, gently caress, it's gonna be 5 years soon since CK2 came out, so it ain't like quality don't take time.

I remember the game being pretty great at Sword of Islam... was that not the case?

EU4 is a funny one, because I played a lot of EU4 at launch and loved it, but my feeling that it's "one of the greatest strategy games I've ever played" didn't really hit until Rights of Man when it all just clicked 100% in place.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 1, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't know for sure but it always seems to head for the same system when there's a problem. Usually the home system of the last owner of the fleet. In any case the fix works, or has always worked for me.

I had a similar issue with a mod that allows you to capture Titans, but the thing actually kept going wherever its former owner's AI wanted it to (i.e., it changed orders to follow newly arrived "enemy" fleets). That I fixed by merging it with one of my own fleets. I didn't think I'd easily be able to merge Fed navy fleets like that though, but it makes sense that splitting off and making a "new" fleet would work in that case too. The former AI can't give orders to the "new" fleet of its new owner.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

I had a similar issue with a mod that allows you to capture Titans, but the thing actually kept going wherever its former owner's AI wanted it to (i.e., it changed orders to follow newly arrived "enemy" fleets). That I fixed by merging it with one of my own fleets. I didn't think I'd easily be able to merge Fed navy fleets like that though, but it makes sense that splitting off and making a "new" fleet would work in that case too. The former AI can't give orders to the "new" fleet of its new owner.

Total speculation on my part, but this kind of thing sounds like it could possibly be due to the ownership (and other) data of fleet/ships/units in Stellaris being saved in multiple locations. One of the things I've been doing recently is fiddling about extensively with savegames to work out what does what/how to break the game, and there is a degree of duplication when it comes to fleet ownership/control data.

Put simply, in the savegame file you have:
1. An entry for the fleet itself, which includes data on which ships are in it, and who owns it.
2. An entry for the empire, which includes data on which fleets it owns/controls.

Now, this is not an issue in itself, but I have had situations where I have messed about and changed 1 but not 2 (and vice versa), and got similar results to your brief description, including for land units. I am just speculating and am probably completely and utterly wrong, but its possible that whatever event trigger system the mod that you use (and is used by Federation fleets) changes the ownership/control data in 1 place, but neglects to change it in both places. It might also explain why splitting (and thus creating a new fleet) works.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

That really does make a ton of sense. The fleet is clearly mine, but the previous owner still "thinks" it's theirs, and the game code lets them control things they are still registered as owning.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

algebra testes posted:

I remember the game being pretty great at Sword of Islam... was that not the case?

EU4 is a funny one, because I played a lot of EU4 at launch and loved it, but my feeling that it's "one of the greatest strategy games I've ever played" didn't really hit until Rights of Man when it all just clicked 100% in place.
I felt it really became rad after Old Gods and finally got to where it shoulda been with Conclave and Way of Life.

Also uhhhh, I told the Stagnant Ascendency to go gently caress itself, which may not have been the wisest course of action.

Welp, time to find out how bad things are gonna get, at least I'll maybe be able to expand far enough from where they wanted me to burn it down that I'll be able to recolonize.

seriously, gently caress starting next to those guys

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Heads up, tomorrow's Stellaris stream might be showing off Banks content. Hot code mentioned.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Tigey posted:

Spergy detail in my earlier post about savegame stuff

On a related note, one of the other things I noticed while going through the savegame files is that an awful lot of space is also used to store data on "hostile fleet spotted in X system". In other words, whenever you enter a system and spot a hostile fleet/monster/mining station, it stores this data in the savegame. By itself, this is good: it means you know there is/once was a threat in that system.

The problem is that it appears to store this data forever, it stores it for every empire in the game, and in a seemingly very inefficient manner: each ship in a hostile fleet is listed individually (rather than simply saying Cruiserx50, Destroyerx60, Corvetterx90, etc) having a line for each ship spotted in the fleet. For doomstacks this means that entries can go on for hundreds of lines, as the example below illustrates:

{
object=646
hostile={
{
name="2nd Imperial Warfleet"
coordinate={
x=144.582
y=-50.029
origin=646
}
military_power=95098.630
size={
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
"cruiser"
shortened to prevent it making GBS threads up the forum page, but the list literally continues on for about 50 more cruisers, then 100+ destroyers and corvettes. This is only for one fleet, and appears under several empires.
}
}
}
}

Toward the end of one very long game, I went through the save file and manually deleted all this data. Nothing of any value seemed to be lost, and the savegame file size was reduced by over 25% (1 MB). I also noticed a modest performance increase.

If they ever want to optimise savegames/performance - a good place to start might be 1) putting a time limit on how long this 'hostile fleets' data is kept, or 2) finding some way of storing it that doesn't involve listing out each ship sighted in a system.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Honestly, whether it's a kind of space monster or a fleet and how powerful it is would be more than sufficient I think.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
This is a general modding question, particularly toward Lum_ given he put the supercider modpack into that modlist in the OP.

I was just going through it and I noticed the various colour options:

How do you cycle though them? Is there something I am missing or is there a bug there?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
That looks pretty broken, yeah, it's a bug. This is what it's supposed to look like.

Might want to try installing the original mod and see if it overwrites.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682090850&searchtext=

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 1, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz has been going full on edging with all these drat teaser tweets.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

When you're playing multiplayer, is the Infinite Machine reward limited to whoever can complete the quest first (or destroy it I guess?)? Just wondering if racing to find and interact with it is worth it.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Lum_ posted:

That looks pretty broken, yeah, it's a bug. This is what it's supposed to look like.

Might want to try installing the original mod and see if it overwrites.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682090850&searchtext=

It's going this with the original mod as well. Is there anything that you would suggest for this?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

When you're playing multiplayer, is the Infinite Machine reward limited to whoever can complete the quest first (or destroy it I guess?)? Just wondering if racing to find and interact with it is worth it.
I think it is and especially at the beginning of the game. It is one guardian that might give you some interesting rewards before you have 20k fleet and everything researched.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Baronjutter posted:

Wiz has been going full on edging with all these drat teaser tweets.

Tantric game development?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Tantric game development?

I think we're more into the "dangling a hamburger just out of reach of a starving man" territory

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kinetica posted:

I think we're more into the "dangling a hamburger just out of reach of a starving man" territory

And after eating it we'll then endlessly complain how it needs to be improved.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Baronjutter posted:

Listen, I didn't buy this game to play it, I bought it so I could complain about it. :v:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Needs more genocide.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bloody Pom posted:

Stellaris: Needs more genocide.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Kinetica posted:

More like dangling ice cream in front of a well fed fat american

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Dangling friendship in front of a Blorg would be more apt.

Still, we're all starved. Hopefully we'll have a bonepit comm screen.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Policy related comm screens instead of just ethics would be cool

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Libluini posted:

Besides giant animals, what about rats? This talk about post-apocalyptic Earth reminds me of this movie where some poor bastards survive a lot of dumb poo poo, only to be rescued by literal ratmen in the end. (The end is incredibly, hilariously overblown with the survivors screaming like those rat people are the most horrible thing ever. Dudes, they saved you, they probably won't suddenly start nibbling on you.)

Reminds me of http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/397876.Domain

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
My Xenophobe/pacifist/spiritualist game isn't doing bad, but I really am tired of being right next to the Xenophobe FE. Unreasonable demand after unreasonable demand and I'm not terribly sure if or when I'll be able to take them on.

The fact that all my pop poo poo themselves when I go to war is rather irritating too, but that's to be expected I suppose.

So, why is it that I can't just surrender as soon as they declare war on me when its obvious I can't win? Am I missing something? I don't want a white peace, I want to have my planet cleansed and be humiliated as quickly as possible before they burn down more of my poo poo.

Though getting one of their mining stations and stealing a buncha tech was maybe worth it? Probably not though.

EDIT: Oh I have to click on their demands? Huh. Well, not getting outta being humiliated I suppose.

Ahahaha and then the loving assholes killed my Leader just for kicks.

Man, being on the other end of being dicked around sure is infuriating!

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Starting next to a xenophobic FE is borderline restart worthy, but if you settle away from them you might get something out of it.

Also if you can destroy any of their ships you could get some early jump drives which is amazing.

• Locked thread