Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

La Brea Carpet posted:

quote:

I [24F] started working out and my butt got bigger. Bf [24M] told me he doesn't like it and now I don't know what to do.Relationships

C'mere girl, I got what you need :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

YeahTubaMike posted:

i'm not the greatest at reading signals, and this has happened to me a loooooooottttttttttt, and it is genuinely perplexing every single time

yeah same

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Dicks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM-M_F7WrPg

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRoBjO2fqXA&hd=1

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Beautiful.

Have a song about legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA_BXgMHjSs

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

I mean it's clear that Autism Programs isn't an example of this, but the pregnancy thing got me wondering at first: is there a phenomenon where a guy, on learning he's about to become a father, suddenly becomes a massive workaholic to prepare?

Because that's what my first instinct was when I read that part, and looking back I don't know if that's a thing.

That guy is probably just an idiot, but there is a bunch of research in employment relations showing that men are very insecure about the shift away from the standard work contract, with the majority reporting that they would like to take on more work and many feeling like they are not fulfilling the same work life balance as their father and are therefore lazy failures.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Moon Atari posted:

That guy is probably just an idiot, but there is a bunch of research in employment relations showing that men are very insecure about the shift away from the standard work contract, with the majority reporting that they would like to take on more work and many feeling like they are not fulfilling the same work life balance as their father and are therefore lazy failures.

I will fight these men for 8 hours a day, five days a week, with an hour for lunch and full dental.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 1, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Those men can all go jump in a volcano with their insecure sadbrians

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Vegans!

We [28-30s M&F] are at a loss on how to deal with our vegan coworker [27M]

I [30F] have a vegan coworker Bob that is getting absolutely insufferable.

Before anyone asks, we're a small company that doesn't have HR. Bob is also acquainted with the owner (doesn't seem to be close but close enough for us not want to risk our jobs)

I'm looking for ways/things to say to him when he gets up in our face about our diets/lifestyle etc.

Things that he's done:

Interrogated our reception on what makeup she wears and then told her that her brands aren't cruelty free.

Asked to keep the non veg and veg stuff separated in the fridge- given that most of us are meat eaters and we couldn't put all the milk on one shelf, we refused.

Complained about how there's not many vegan options at occasional morning teas (we had carrots, celery, hummus, beetroot dip, avocado dip, chips), the non vegan things we had were muffins, chocolate, and a cold meat platter.

Complains that when he brings vegan stuff in, no one eats it. (This happened once- he left his cake in the fridge and no one touched because it didn't have a post anything and he didn't let us know that it was for us to eat)

Asked us to order almond milk instead of full cream (we compromised by ordering a 2L carton of almond milk for him, no one else drinks it) but still wasn't good enough because of cows being kept in a state of pregnancy or something.

Gives unwanted health advice. Scratching your neck? You must have eczema, go vegan. Got IBS? Go vegan. Balding? Go vegan. Got arthritis? Go vegan.

Makes snarky comments about leather products (bags, shoes whatever).

He'll sit down to eat lunch with us and then say something snarky about how a chicken curry or something smells.

We can't organize team lunches anymore without having him go through the menu to see if there are vegan options. The places that have vegan options to his specifications, are pricey. We've cut back on team lunches. BUT then if some of want to go out for lunch, he'll invite himself and then want to change the location to somewhere more vegan, then if people say they really want try that place, he gets annoyed because it doesn't cater to him.

Keeps saying that we should cater to him because we cater to our Muslim coworkers. (Muslim coworkers are very chill, if we don't know the halal status, they just eat chips and dips or the muffins at morning tea or at lunches, goes vegetarian). We recently found a place that stuff halal meat platters but they told us not to worry about it since most of cold meats are pig based anyway. Also they come to after work drinks on Friday even though they don't drink, they just have juice, water or soda. They don't tell us not to go to a bar or change the location or complain that we don't accommodate them.

I also forgot to mention he was atheist. He recently complained to management that our Muslim coworkers were booking a meeting room to pray and putting a prayer in progress sign up. Management told him they were allowed to do that and nobody else gives a poo poo. I mean there's guys here that take longer smoke breaks.

He's otherwise good at his job and relatively friendly outside of that but right now it's a 60% annoying, 40% split. A lot of people are just keeping things professional but he complained to a coworker that we exclude him from stuff when we meet outside of the office.

Most of the events are organized by one of the Muslim coworkers who doesn't like him now after that prayer incident and it's unofficial.

tl;dr: The guy is a complete buzzkill. How do we handle him?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

The problem isn't is that he is Vegan, it's that he is a walking stereotype.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Helios Grime posted:

The problem isn't is that he is [category], it's that he is a [loving rear end in a top hat]

ftfy

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
*literal pages of posts about manchildren*

"why are these guys feeling pressured to put obscene hours into their work in a misguided attempt to obtain personal value"

I just don't know steve, I just don't know

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I think it's because they're all redditors. Back to you, Peter

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ArbitraryC posted:

*literal pages of posts about manchildren*

"why are these guys feeling pressured to put obscene hours into their work in a misguided attempt to obtain personal value"

I just don't know steve, I just don't know

Yeah man children do have messed up priorities.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Vegans!

Sounds like this guy could use a sexy surprise for adult vegans.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Vegans!

at school i remember some kids once threw some chicken in a vegan's face and he threw up it was hilarious

they should do that to this guy

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Any cologne with musk will instantly de-veganize the air.

It would probably be better to just fry bacon every single day until he breaks.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Vegans!

I [30F] have a vegan coworker Bob that is getting absolutely insufferable.

Before anyone asks, we're a small company that doesn't have HR. Bob is also acquainted with the owner (doesn't seem to be close but close enough for us not want to risk our jobs)

I'm looking for ways/things to say to him when he gets up in our face about our diets/lifestyle etc.

Things that he's done:

Interrogated our reception on what makeup she wears and then told her that her brands aren't cruelty free.

Asked to keep the non veg and veg stuff separated in the fridge- given that most of us are meat eaters and we couldn't put all the milk on one shelf, we refused.

Complained about how there's not many vegan options at occasional morning teas (we had carrots, celery, hummus, beetroot dip, avocado dip, chips), the non vegan things we had were muffins, chocolate, and a cold meat platter.

Complains that when he brings vegan stuff in, no one eats it. (This happened once- he left his cake in the fridge and no one touched because it didn't have a post anything and he didn't let us know that it was for us to eat)

Asked us to order almond milk instead of full cream (we compromised by ordering a 2L carton of almond milk for him, no one else drinks it) but still wasn't good enough because of cows being kept in a state of pregnancy or something.

Gives unwanted health advice. Scratching your neck? You must have eczema, go vegan. Got IBS? Go vegan. Balding? Go vegan. Got arthritis? Go vegan.

Makes snarky comments about leather products (bags, shoes whatever).

He'll sit down to eat lunch with us and then say something snarky about how a chicken curry or something smells.

We can't organize team lunches anymore without having him go through the menu to see if there are vegan options. The places that have vegan options to his specifications, are pricey. We've cut back on team lunches. BUT then if some of want to go out for lunch, he'll invite himself and then want to change the location to somewhere more vegan, then if people say they really want try that place, he gets annoyed because it doesn't cater to him.

Keeps saying that we should cater to him because we cater to our Muslim coworkers. (Muslim coworkers are very chill, if we don't know the halal status, they just eat chips and dips or the muffins at morning tea or at lunches, goes vegetarian). We recently found a place that stuff halal meat platters but they told us not to worry about it since most of cold meats are pig based anyway. Also they come to after work drinks on Friday even though they don't drink, they just have juice, water or soda. They don't tell us not to go to a bar or change the location or complain that we don't accommodate them.

I also forgot to mention he was atheist. He recently complained to management that our Muslim coworkers were booking a meeting room to pray and putting a prayer in progress sign up. Management told him they were allowed to do that and nobody else gives a poo poo. I mean there's guys here that take longer smoke breaks.

He's otherwise good at his job and relatively friendly outside of that but right now it's a 60% annoying, 40% split. A lot of people are just keeping things professional but he complained to a coworker that we exclude him from stuff when we meet outside of the office.

Most of the events are organized by one of the Muslim coworkers who doesn't like him now after that prayer incident and it's unofficial.

Your company has HR for a loving reason, report his rear end. Problem Solved, NEXT.

Edit: Apparently I can't read and they don't have HR, then report him to management. Same effect.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 1, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ouhei posted:

Your company has HR for a loving reason, report his rear end. Problem Solved, NEXT.

Check the fourth sentence.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Check the fourth sentence.

Okay, then report him to management, it's their job to deal with this poo poo. They have a giant list of reasons this guy is an rear end in a top hat at work, you're not going to lose your job because you're requesting that he tone it down.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 1, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This might just be me but I don't think it's possible to go "backwards" in a relationship. I see posts like that guy whose girlfriend was on Bumble or whatever saying they have pulled back to a previous stage of the relationship and now need to work on getting it back. I just feel like if you feel the need to do that you should probably just break up. I don't think you can just pretend you didn't have a higher level of intimacy with someone who now wants less of you in their lives. I think that's going to breed resentment like a stagnant swimming pool breeds mosquitoes. How do you look that person in the eyes and ask if you've "earned" your relationship back yet?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

purple death ray posted:

This might just be me but I don't think it's possible to go "backwards" in a relationship. I see posts like that guy whose girlfriend was on Bumble or whatever saying they have pulled back to a previous stage of the relationship and now need to work on getting it back. I just feel like if you feel the need to do that you should probably just break up. I don't think you can just pretend you didn't have a higher level of intimacy with someone who now wants less of you in their lives. I think that's going to breed resentment like a stagnant swimming pool breeds mosquitoes. How do you look that person in the eyes and ask if you've "earned" your relationship back yet?

Sometimes when you violate somebody's trust you need to earn their trust again. I don't really think that's all that unusual.

Do you just break up with people the first time they ever do anything lovely to you?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

purple death ray posted:

I don't think you can just pretend you didn't have a higher level of intimacy with someone who now wants less of you in their lives.

My ex-wife and I have gone from "married and intimate" to "very good, sibling-like friends", and it's been great. Neither of us want to be intimate or married any longer, but we have great talks and help each other out and hang out (including with my girlfriend and her kid). "We don't want this" doesn't always mean "we don't want anything".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mirthless posted:

Do you just break up with people the first time they ever do anything lovely to you?

Depending on how lovely a thing it is, this is a totally normal reaction. "Checking for dudes on a dating app" is a break up worth offense, imo.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

My ex-wife and I have gone from "married and intimate" to "very good, sibling-like friends", and it's been great. Neither of us want to be intimate or married any longer, but we have great talks and help each other out and hang out (including with my girlfriend and her kid). "We don't want this" doesn't always mean "we don't want anything".

Being mature and functional sounds nice. I'll get there one day. I think it starts with cleaning the house?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Being mature and functional sounds nice. I'll get there one day. I think it starts with cleaning the house?

Sure didn't for us.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

LethalGeek posted:

Those men can all go jump in a volcano with their insecure sadbrians

This is the perfect name for them.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Subjunctive posted:

You're talking about an ex though. Obviously that's going to change a relationship. I mean like if you had a live in partner, and you decide you need to go back to the early stages of the relationship. You move them out of your home and go from them being a part of your daily life to just going on dates occasionally. I wouldn't expect a lot of people to be able to do that and then eventually build back up to them moving in again with no lingering resentment. I think that's an unequal situation and that's never a good thing for the long term survival of a relationship.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

Depending on how lovely a thing it is, this is a totally normal reaction. "Checking for dudes on a dating app" is a break up worth offense, imo.

Yeah but it's also the kind of offense you can still come back from. Impaired trust can be rebuilt. Some relationships are worth trying to fix, even if it's awkward for a while.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

purple death ray posted:

You're talking about an ex though. Obviously that's going to change a relationship. I mean like if you had a live in partner, and you decide you need to go back to the early stages of the relationship. You move them out of your home and go from them being a part of your daily life to just going on dates occasionally. I wouldn't expect a lot of people to be able to do that and then eventually build back up to them moving in again with no lingering resentment. I think that's an unequal situation and that's never a good thing for the long term survival of a relationship.

it probably depends more on if it's something mutually acceptable to both parties, which is just way less likely if you're distancing yourselves but still banging.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mirthless posted:

Yeah but it's also the kind of offense you can still come back from. Impaired trust can be rebuilt. Some relationships are worth trying to fix, even if it's awkward for a while.

While I'd usually agree, the point is that someone is getting so fed up that they're actively looking for someone else while in a relationship. That alone is breakup worthy, if your SO is already snooping elsewhere, they've probably either checked out or they're being petty/vindictive, it's best to just end it at that stage.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Mirthless posted:

I dunno, "I'm in this relationship and don't want anyone else in any real way" is sort of the core of a monogamous relationship and she violated that. Granted she didn't actually cheat but she actively scoped out other dudes when they had a fight and didn't bother changing her setting back to the friend finder (I know nothing about bumble) side or delete it. The stuff with the ex is weird and only makes matters worse. It's going to take a massive amount of effort/time/luck for him to ever trust her again because she has violated the core part of their relationship. Obviously much easier than if she had actually cheated, but it's as close as you can get really.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it probably depends more on if it's something mutually acceptable to both parties, which is just way less likely if you're distancing yourselves but still banging.
If you have to step back from any meaningful step in a relationship (moving in together, getting engaged, getting married) then that relationship is doomed, at least romantically.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 1, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

purple death ray posted:

Maybe. I have experience with one model of removing a level of closeness while maintaining others, but I defer to you experience with others that more closely match this scenario. I would be surprised to discover that it's as absolute a death sentence as you portray, but I'm prepared to be surprised.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

BOOTY-ADE posted:

While I'd usually agree, the point is that someone is getting so fed up that they're actively looking for someone else while in a relationship. That alone is breakup worthy, if your SO is already snooping elsewhere, they've probably either checked out or they're being petty/vindictive, it's best to just end it at that stage.

Ouhei posted:

I dunno, "I'm in this relationship and don't want anyone else in any real way" is sort of the core of a monogamous relationship and she violated that. Granted she didn't actually cheat but she actively scoped out other dudes when they had a fight and didn't bother changing her setting back to the friend finder (I know nothing about bumble) side or delete it. The stuff with the ex is weird and only makes matters worse. It's going to take a massive amount of effort/time/luck for him to ever trust her again because she has violated the core part of their relationship. Obviously much easier than if she had actually cheated, but it's as close as you can get really.

If you have to step back from any meaningful step in a relationship (moving in together, getting engaged, getting married) then that relationship is doomed, at least romantically.

I don't agree with this, though, necessarily, because she has a story and while that story doesn't really add up it's not completely out of the realm of plausibility, either. I am not saying they should stay together, but I can see why he would - if he valued their relationship enough, it might have been worth it to give her a second chance to see if she could regain his trust. She used poor judgement and made a dumb mistake, but it's a mistake that can probably be forgiven and that they can easily move past with time.

I think you're probably right about the "stepping back" part, but I think that has more to do with the fact that the type of couple who calls off an engagement probably shouldn't be getting married in the first place

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

u/MyVaginaIsCute

I bet it is sweetie

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ouhei posted:

This is maybe a better way of phrasing what I was getting at. Not even talking about this lady and her specific problems but in general I feel like it's just delaying a break up to try and regress a relationship like that. Believe her excuse or don't, forgive the person or don't, but I don't think that trying to stuff the genie back in the bottle is going to be sustainable for the long term life of your relationship.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don't people break up and then get back together? Was I unique in that experience?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Don't people break up and then get back together? Was I unique in that experience?

Are you married to that person?

I'm sure there are exceptions, but most couples who break up and then get back together will end up broken up. Rarely is the reason for the initial breakup fixed.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

they do, in clear contravention of the laws of Relationship Science as calculated by the variably-sexhaving goons of Something Awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WampaLord posted:

Are you married to that person?

I'm sure there are exceptions, but most couples who break up once will end up broken up.

I broke up with that person, got back together, and was then married for 15 years (one kid).