Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Yes. The strategy she should take is say horrible poo poo but not accept endorsement from people who appreciate her horrible poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Okay that's it, I like PT6A even more now, I'm going to the hospital

It's okay, I took him off ignore and survived

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
what are Canadian values?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

THC posted:

There are a lot of honest-to-god leftists and NDP members (and NDP brass) who support pipelines because of the employment they will bring. They're good unionized jobs too, or so we're told. I really do speak from the political fringe when I talk about them.

pipelines are a bunch of temporary work that ends when the construction is complete, and has a negligible impact on employment afterward. for example, DAPL in the US is slated to require a few dozen people to maintain when/if finished

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

JawKnee posted:

A smug sense of superiority at being Better Than AmericaTM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
PT6A is proof that there'S hope for people yet. The most canadian way of thinking.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MonsieurChoc posted:

PT6A is proof that there'S hope for people yet. The most canadian way of thinking.

Hope is a lie, my friend. It is yet another cruel trick I've played on you. :smith:

Seriously, I don't think that I've changed that much. Maybe a little. But what you all need to be worried about much more is how much the Overton Window is shifting just now. Because when I seem reasonable all of a sudden, you know heinous poo poo is afoot. :v:

Cease to Hope posted:

pipelines are a bunch of temporary work that ends when the construction is complete, and has a negligible impact on employment afterward. for example, DAPL in the US is slated to require a few dozen people to maintain when/if finished

Maybe if there were decent regulations, this would not be the case. Hire a human being to hike every inch of that bastard, every day, to check for leaks. No undetected leaks for extended periods, and lots of employment. Everyone wins!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

And yet ikantski seems to be rebounding in the opposite direction at the same pace.

Hope is a lie.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

JawKnee posted:

Pretending to not be racist while ignoring the plight of natives living on reserves.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Cease to Hope posted:

Ditto for BC. I think last I saw they were quoting 40 permanent jobs (:toot:) which probably actually means 20 or so. Wowwww that's worth the risk for literally no additional compensation.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Alberta will never pay for its share of any oil spill that happens off the BC coast.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OSI bean dip posted:

Alberta will never pay for its share of any oil spill that happens off the BC coast.

That's true. How is it our fault, though? Require pilotage; again, great paying jobs for skilled workers. Require performance bonds of ships operating in the areas. These are your rights, provincially, I would affirm.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
If they want to sell this poo poo easy just buy people off. $50/year to each BC resident of legal age for the Alberta Prosperity Risk Sharing Fund.

90% of the pop loving sold right then and there.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

PT6A posted:

And punching nazis.

Seriously, though, I've argued for some poo poo that I realize now, even though I didn't think it was bad, and I still don't think would be bad in isolation, has done possibly irreparable harm to our country, and I'm loving sorry now. You better believe it. I'd say we still disagree on a lot of poo poo, but watching Cheeto Benito drag his dirty loving nutsack into the White House has convinced me that I was wrong about a lot of poo poo. I mean, I still believe free speech is something that needs to be protected as much as possible, but now I'm seeing that the lack of restriction will lead to a far worse conclusion. I still believe that Islam, like all religions, has a lot of bad poo poo in it (no more than Christianity or Judaism or any other religion, though), but I realize that criticizing those things too much has led to far worse things, and sadly it made me an unwitting ally of some really horrible people who need a solid punch in the cock and balls.

Where do we go from here? I don't give a gently caress about my taxes anymore, I just want to return to a political culture of relative sanity at this point. I don't like where we're going, and if I have to make common cause with people I disagree with I think I'd rather take people a bit further to the left than a bit further to the right.

Edit: I remember when I was young as gently caress and bitching about economic policies and this and that in this very thread, and I did feel scared at the time as I said, but now I feel so much worse, and more scared. I have an obligation to deal with in the US this week and I'm leaving tomorrow morning, and only Vitamin (Export) A is keeping me from freaking the gently caress out about it. I'll come back in 6 days and hopefully never go again, but I don't want that poo poo creeping north of the border.

i can't believe i'm saying this but the world would be a much better place if more people were like you. this is a really mature, thoughful position

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PT6A posted:

The weather is gorgeous 90% of the time if you don't mind cold, it's not very expensive, and it's loving beautiful. Better than being stuck in some assfuck valley in the interior where the fog lifts once per winter, even if there are slightly more trees around.

I've thought about moving and there's literally no place in Canada I'd rather live than southern Alberta. I would enjoy it very much if Calgary were more cosmopolitan, but really, I live in the best place in Canada. I'm with EvilJoven on Manitoba's merits, but the current government is a bit poo poo and there are too many mosquitoes.

EDIT: And, just so y'all don't think I've changed too much, I'll play some of the Greatest Hits. I'm the weirdo who takes Madrid over Barcelona, Havana over Varadero, and Logrono over San Sebastian. Sometimes I'll take a very well executed average over a failed exceptional.

I'm no economist but part of a nice place to live is having jobs. If we, for example, cut out resource extraction from Alberta all it would be left with is farming. Having a breadbasket region is important of course but it's not gonna make you enough money to pay for all the niceties that other richer provinces would have unless the richer parts of Canada pitch in to make life better for everyone (and we all know how that turned out).

Ain't nobody livin in Toronto cause the weather or the view is nice that's for sure.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

Hey I never said I agree with those people

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

Soldiers of Odin is definitely not a white supremacist organization.

Look at all of these photos:
https://soldiersofodinbc.com/photos

Wow, the SCA is really heading downhill. Not even period...!

Bleu fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 1, 2017

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

PT6A posted:

Seriously, I don't think that I've changed that much. Maybe a little. But what you all need to be worried about much more is how much the Overton Window is shifting just now. Because when I seem reasonable all of a sudden, you know heinous poo poo afoot.
I'm going to come in with the view from nowhere and say that I still think you just post from the hip without much consideration of how it makes you look, but you are correct in the above quoted section.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It is a weird societal thing that food production isn't the richest industry when that is what enables all but about three vocations to exist

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
richest in what way? I'm sure those mega farms are super rich.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JawKnee posted:

richest in what way? I'm sure those mega farms are super rich.

If they're rich it's only on virtue of having so much land (how much does a farm like that have, while the subject's been brought up?). The margins for farming tend to suck, and afaik prices for stuff like wheat have been close to constant for at least a couple of decades, not keeping with inflation.

E: Also small farmers are going to have a lot of trouble updating in the next couple of decades, automization will likely be both a blessing and a major curse because while it solves manpower issues for small farms, it gives farms with a lot of capital to invest an even bigger leg up while simultaneously forcing everyone without to keep up with the technology or see their margins shrink.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 1, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There'll be plenty of well paying service jobs for engineers, programmers and maintenance staff when whole swaths of the prairies become megafarms with robots tending fields the size of cities and support staff monitoring it all in a cubicle in downtown Calgary.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
As I stated earlier in the thread, the future will be that cities themselves will start producing their own food to minimize transport costs. It's what I'm trying to get started here because constantly bringing in basic staples from out of province is getting ridiculous as logistical costs keep rising. But it's hard to get old fucks to acknowledge this fact and think it means bulldozing half the city for a traditional farm.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

lol I was a member of that fb group and they banned my rear end the day following the tragedy for asking that another member, who had suggested that one of the admins felt sexual excitement from the thought of dead muslims, be reinstated. 2 days ago some of them were in full panic/damage control mode it was quite funny to see. It's not a right wing group, its more like a debate club for people from all over the political spectrum, hence the name, but it is mainly filled with alt right types. Id pay good money to see whats being said in there right now lol

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stretch Marx posted:

As I stated earlier in the thread, the future will be that cities themselves will start producing their own food to minimize transport costs. It's what I'm trying to get started here because constantly bringing in basic staples from out of province is getting ridiculous as logistical costs keep rising. But it's hard to get old fucks to acknowledge this fact and think it means bulldozing half the city for a traditional farm.

Logistical costs will fall drastically in the next 10 years and the majority of Canadian cities can't grow a healthy and varied diet locally. It would cost far less to bring a truckload of lettuce from California in an automated electric truck than it would to grow it hydroponically in Edmonton mid winter. nevermind most fruit that we eat could never grow there.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 1, 2017

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Staggering amounts of Saskatchewan farmland is already owned by Chinese and other international corporations. Agribusiness is now the the norm (note the critical denotative difference with agriculture). And these farms are massive. Like 10,000-20,000+ acres. (For reference, settlers were given a quarter section back in the day - 160 acres.) This is a huge difference from even a generation ago - my own grandfather had the largest farm in the area for decades, and I don't think he ever farmed more than 1500 acres. 15-20 years later (now) he would have had barely enough land to make his margins work.

I worked on a locally-owned 7,000 acre farm for a season and even he was worried about getting squeezed out by Chinese business.

Also, a lot of farming is already automated. Every combine and tractor comes with gps positioning. You just have to turn corners for it, but it quite happy to lock into straight lines and do the rest. Thanks to the nature of working the land (it rained so now half of the old Johnson section is under a foot of water and impossible to tell how close you can get without experienced human eyes) I am going to guess it is a long while before full automation happens.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 1, 2017

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

And one more semi-related thought - if we ever do end up in legit fuel shortages or restrictions, your mangoes in January will be the first thing to go. I'd be interested to hear what it was like in Canada's core areas, but here in the hinterland it wasn't till the 80s that tropical fruits started to show up year round. I'm constantly amazed by how quickly things can be normalised to the point of ubiquity.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 1, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Trump is going to revamp the H1B program. This will lead to more companies hiring TFW tech in Canada. Great times ahead my friends.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stickarts posted:

Staggering amounts of Saskatchewan farmland is already owned by Chinese and other international corporations. Agribusiness is now the the norm (note the critical denotative difference with agriculture). And these farms are massive. Like 10,000-20,000+ acres. (For reference, settlers were given a quarter section back in the day - 160 acres.). This is a huge difference from even a generation ago - my own grandfather had the largest farm in the area for decades, and I don't think he ever farmed more than 1500 acres. 15-20 years later (now) he would have barely enough land to make his margins work.

I worked on a locally-owned 7,000 acre farm for a season and even he was worried about getting squeezed out by Chinese business.

Also, a lot of farming is already automated. Every combine and tractor comes with gps positioning. You just have to turn corners for it, but it quite happy to lock into straight lines and do the rest. Thanks to the nature of working the land (it rained so now half of the old Johnson section is under a foot of water and impossible to tell how close you can get with experienced human eyes) I am going to guess it is a long while before full automation happens.

And it's not just the chinese. The biggest agriculture trade show in western canada happens every year in red deer, and it's nothing but hundreds and hundreds of $100k pickups and escalades on farm plates. The guy with 2 quarters isn't doing all that well, but the larger business based farms are doing extremely well.

The generation in power right now was raised by a generation where if you don't work you don't eat because the manpower was required to support food production. Machinery and now automation has us so far removed from that reality but the mentality remains so rigidly ingrained so the poors are poor because they are too lazy to bootstrap and we have no obligation to help them.

If there was a fuel shortage, I would bet beef would disappear off the menu before mangos did. People willing to pay $3 for a mango will pay $6 for one. People paying $5 for ground beef won't pay $10. Nutrition quite clearly takes a back seat to economy when food is used more for economic utility than nutritional utility. Just like housing, think homeless people living outside of empty invenstment condos. Drought outside of the water bottling plant.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If this is the beginning of the end for the alt-right/neo-nazi's I am all in.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

If this is the beginning of the end for the alt-right/neo-nazi's I am all in.

President Alt-Right was sworn in 12 days ago, this is the beginning of the beginning.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

vyelkin posted:

President Alt-Right was sworn in 12 days ago, this is the beginning of the beginning.

With the multitude of protesters every day I think the people just need a spark to really rise up and stomp this poo poo out.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Vintersorg posted:

With the multitude of protesters every day I think the people just need a spark to really rise up and stomp this poo poo out.

You start

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Vintersorg posted:

Haha, don't underestimate the number of people who support what Trump does. At least part of the reason the GOP isn't resisting Trump much beyond making statements but then bending the knee anyway is because their constituents love the poo poo Trump is doing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'll go down in history. You're right -- here we go!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Argas posted:

Haha, don't underestimate the number of people who support what Trump does. At least part of the reason the GOP isn't resisting Trump much beyond making statements but then bending the knee anyway is because their constituents love the poo poo Trump is doing.

Also, don't underestimate the number of those people who got into law enforcement for an opportunity to beat the poo poo out of people.

Yeah, the protestors have people on the streets holding signs, but the trumpeteers have people on the street holding riot shields.

Remember when people protested bush at his inagguration, and then he didn't do anything bad and then was voted out after 4 years? https://www.salon.com/2001/01/21/protests_8/

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Powershift posted:

Also, don't underestimate the number of those people who got into law enforcement for an opportunity to beat the poo poo out of people.

When my cousin was graduating from high school, he said he wanted to be a cop. His dad was so proud of him, he announced that he was going to be "bustin' up the darkies."

Yeah.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Powershift posted:

Yeah, the protestors have people on the streets holding signs, but the trumpeteers have people on the street holding riot shields.

Remember when people protested bush at his inagguration, and then he didn't do anything bad and then was voted out after 4 years? https://www.salon.com/2001/01/21/protests_8/

The protests are uplifting to see but the election just happened and that was the last chance for Americans to do something for another two years. The GOP may be nervous about what Trump is doing but as long as their voters love it, they won't dare kill the goose that lays golden eggs.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya as much as I like to vent on the Internet I'll be honest I'm not quite yet ready to take a tear gas grenade to the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Police have started arresting people for hate speech. No word on what the actual hate speech in question was.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/man-arrested-on-suspicion-of-posting-hate-speech-against-muslims

Honestly a little conflicted here, but I'm still just a Canadian-in-training.