Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I like what i've seen from Kaaya. I feel like he's worth a 2nd round pick and could be a decent starter early on. Too bad he's fron the ACC and probably trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I really like Kaaya and have him as my best QB right now which is sad because I think he's a late 2nd rounder in most drafts.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

schweens posted:

I like what i've seen from Kaaya. I feel like he's worth a 2nd round pick and could be a decent starter early on. Too bad he's fron the ACC and probably trash

ACC is the best conference though.

Also has the best QBs.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Browns are trying to trade for Jimmy G. If Haslam can't have Belichick he'll have his castoffs.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Browns are trying to trade for Jimmy G. If Haslam can't have Belichick he'll have his castoffs.

Rotoworld is saying that the 12th overall pick and a 3rd or 4th should get it done.

Even Cleveland can't be that stupid, can they?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

No Butt Stuff posted:

Rotoworld is saying that the 12th overall pick and a 3rd or 4th should get it done.

Even Cleveland can't be that stupid, can they?

and a 3rd or 4th? That seems...excessive. Who exactly is the other team offering up a first-rounder?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

evilweasel posted:

and a 3rd or 4th? That seems...excessive. Who exactly is the other team offering up a first-rounder?

No one. I'm guessing that it's more posturing to try to get more out of Jimmy G than he's worth.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

Coldforge posted:

https://twitter.com/AFCEastBros/status/825916850735308800

Hello, Myles Garrett. Welcome to the 49ers.

(it's probably BS, but lol if the Bills are seriously thinking about it)

Holy poo poo if this is true, I"m sorry Bills fans.

No Butt Stuff posted:

No one. I'm guessing that it's more posturing to try to get more out of Jimmy G than he's worth.

There is no way Jimmy G is worth a first rounder. Jimmy G+another draft pick is most likely. People were flipping out when Bradford was overpaid for and he was at least a competent QB this year, there is no history with Garrapolo. If I were Cleveland I wouldn't overpay at all, make someone else do it and get Romo or Cutlers corpses draft and develop QBs.

extendedsolo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 1, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Probably niners if they whiff on cousins.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Do the TFF draft like a real fantasy league. You have X amount of time to respond or you get an autopick selection from Dalto's draft board. Or worse yet, Mel Kiper.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm still laughin' at the "goon drafts are the slowest moving object observable in the universe" crack from earlier.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

extendedsolo posted:

Holy poo poo if this is true, I"m sorry Bills fans.

There is no way Jimmy G is worth a first rounder. Jimmy G+another draft pick is most likely. People were flipping out when Bradford was overpaid for and he was at least a competent QB this year, there is no history with Garrapolo. If I were Cleveland I wouldn't overpay at all, make someone else do it and get Romo or Cutlers corpses draft and develop QBs.

If they feel he's better than anyone in this QB class, he's worth a first rounder. Remember, Cleveland has #1, #12 and #33 so they could easily end up with 3+ 1st round picks after trades.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

Bigass Moth posted:

If they feel he's better than anyone in this QB class, he's worth a first rounder. Remember, Cleveland has #1, #12 and #33 so they could easily end up with 3+ 1st round picks after trades.

Part of the reason he's would be worth a first rounder is if he were cheap for another 2 years. He only has 1 more year left. Whereas you could pick a building block at 12, for a team that has so many needs, and keep them for 4 years cheapish. It's going to be way better to hope and try to sign Garrapolo to a FA contract.

The best ways to approach it would require a little hope, but really HOPE that the Pats hang on to him and then he hits FA. He would probably get a massive deal. Or that he goes to a new team and walks. I mean really at this point Kirk loving Cousins would be a better option. Wait for him to not get paid by the Redskins. I just think it's stupid to trade that much for a guy that has shown so little.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
On the other hand, are they just supposed to roll with RG3/Kessler and probably lose 13-14 games or roll the dice on what might be a good starter? Same difference as drafting someone, and the Browns have a ton of cap space so the salary overhead isn't a huge concern.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bigass Moth posted:

On the other hand, are they just supposed to roll with RG3/Kessler and probably lose 13-14 games or roll the dice on what might be a good starter? Same difference as drafting someone, and the Browns have a ton of cap space so the salary overhead isn't a huge concern.

If the Pats believe he's a good starter they wouldn't let him get away. That or it would cost a lot more than the exorbitant 1st & 4th or whatever they're claiming they want in return as an opening position.

Yeah Brady looks like he can play until he's 50 right now but so did Favre the year before it was over.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They also spent another high draft pick on Brissett last year, which should tell you all you need to know about what they think of Jimmy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
No QB with 1 year on his rookie deal is garnering a pick in the teens. Even the Browns wouldn't do that. Garoppolo has also arguably proven the least of the available trades.

Maybe 31/32 + G for the 12 and a mid round pick would be an OK value.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Brady is on serious chemicals and takes his conditioning way more seriously than Favre ever did.

He's not going out any time soon, barring a severe injury which he won't be able to recover from.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
To be fair Favre was on some serious chemicals too.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Eifert Posting posted:

No QB with 1 year on his rookie deal is garnering a pick in the teens. Even the Browns wouldn't do that. Garoppolo has also arguably proven the least of the available trades.

Maybe 31/32 + G for the 12 and a mid round pick would be an OK value.

That's what I am hoping for. This is a rare time I am OK with this trade.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

Do not trade for Jimmy G. The 12th pick could get you a good starter on defense or the o-line. If I'm the Browns I would much rather take my chances on whoever is around in the 2nd at QB whether its Kaaya, Kizer, or even Allen from Montana.

Speaking of QBs, is Patrick Mahomes any good? I've seen his name pop up in different discussions but I'm also seeing him rated as just a late round project with terrible mechanics.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Malik Hooker will miss the combine. Out 4-6 months.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2017/02/79777/malik-hooker-out-4-6-months-after-hernia-and-labrum-surgeries

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Reaching for a QB, be it Garappolo or someone in the high/mid-first, seems like a wasted opportunity for the Browns. See which raw QB with potential is available in the 2nd or later, pick up BPA in the first, and use 2017 to continue accumulating assets and rebuilding Raiders-style. The QBs in the 2018 draft surely can't be a worse batch than this years, and they have so many holes that they can't afford to use multiple picks to move up for a project.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
lol Cleveland has drafted the safe bet first and QB second like every single draft the past decade

Go big. Trade for Jimmy. But not a goddamn 1+3.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

schweens posted:

Speaking of QBs, is Patrick Mahomes any good? I've seen his name pop up in different discussions but I'm also seeing him rated as just a late round project with terrible mechanics.

He's the toolsiest of tools guys, I love him as a developmental pick. He's probably going to rise up way higher than he should go and not get the chance to sit and develop though, he's going to need time. In addition to everything air raid his footwork in particular is just completely awful, and his arm is good enough that he sees no problem throwing off his back foot across his body, which isn't going to fly at the next level and frankly got him into trouble at Tech way too often.

There's a quote I can't find right now from Patrick Mahomes Sr (his dad, who is a character himself) about one of Aaron Rodgers ridiculous throws: "Holy poo poo there's only two guys on the planet that can make that throw, and I'm proud to say my son is one of those motherfuckers." He might be more right than wrong, the problem is Mahomes is willing to try that poo poo constantly with not great mechanics. The good news is most of his stuff is in theory fixable with good coaching and time to learn.

e: Put it this way, I want the Chiefs to draft him, but if they do I want Alex Smith to finish out his contract that ends after 2018.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 1, 2017

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Grittybeard posted:

He's the toolsiest of tools guys, I love him as a developmental pick. He's probably going to rise up way higher than he should go and not get the chance to sit and develop though, he's going to need time. In addition to everything air raid his footwork in particular is just completely awful, and his arm is good enough that he sees no problem throwing off his back foot across his body, which isn't going to fly at the next level and frankly got him into trouble at Tech way too often.

There's a quote I can't find right now from Patrick Mahomes Sr (his dad, who is a character himself) about one of Aaron Rodgers ridiculous throws: "Holy poo poo there's only two guys on the planet that can make that throw, and I'm proud to say my son is one of those motherfuckers." He might be more right than wrong, the problem is Mahomes is willing to try that poo poo constantly with not great mechanics. The good news is most of his stuff is in theory fixable with good coaching and time to learn.

e: Put it this way, I want the Chiefs to draft him, but if they do I want Alex Smith to finish out his contract that ends after 2018.

This is an absolutely perfect take on Mahomes. Bravo.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

Sounds like the type of guy someone will definitely reach for. I think the Cardinals would be a good fit if not the Chiefs

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If the Bills trade up for loving Mitch Trubisky I will renounce my fandom and stop rooting for the team.

Okay, well, actually no, but I *will* be really angry about it and post "Fire Whaley" a lot while secretly rooting for Mitch to become the GOAT.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gently caress. I wanted him at 3 for the bears. maybe they luck out and get him top of the 2nd round and Allen in the first

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Amy Pole Her posted:

lol Cleveland has drafted the safe bet first and QB second like every single draft the past decade

Go big. Trade for Jimmy. But not a goddamn 1+3.

Their past scouts and GMs made some woefully bad decisions when it came do determining the "safe bet", and reached on Manziel and Weeden among other poor selections. However, it would be too results-oriented to look at that and conclude that it's time to gamble their assets on Jimmy f'n G. If they go BPA and other teams reach on the meager list of QBs (as it currently stands, we'll see how the hype goes in the coming months) then they'll trot out another reclamation project and 3 of the top 33 picks (barring some trades).

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

fsif posted:

If the Bills trade up for loving Mitch Trubisky I will renounce my fandom and stop rooting for the team.

Okay, well, actually no, but I *will* be really angry about it and post "Fire Whaley" a lot while secretly rooting for Mitch to become the GOAT.

I am proud of you

Nov 6, 2002

kalensc posted:

Their past scouts and GMs made some woefully bad decisions when it came do determining the "safe bet", and reached on Manziel and Weeden among other poor selections. However, it would be too results-oriented to look at that and conclude that it's time to gamble their assets on Jimmy f'n G. If they go BPA and other teams reach on the meager list of QBs (as it currently stands, we'll see how the hype goes in the coming months) then they'll trot out another reclamation project and 3 of the top 33 picks (barring some trades).

Brady Quinn was widely considered a safe bet and that didn't work out so well either.

With so much draft capital I don't see how anyone can throw bones at the Browns for trading a mid round first for a QB if they believe in that player.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Brady Quinn was widely considered a safe bet and that didn't work out so well either.

With so much draft capital I don't see how anyone can throw bones at the Browns for trading a mid round first for a QB if they believe in that player.
I guess the quibble is: on what is their (hypothetical) belief in Jimmy G based? Sure, he looked good, in all two games he's played in. Even Matt loving Cassel started in 15 games before the Chiefs traded for him.
And his price was a 2nd round pick(the Chiefs also got Vrabel).

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I can see Arians coveting Mahomes

Nov 6, 2002

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

I guess the quibble is: on what is their (hypothetical) belief in Jimmy G based?

I have no idea because he has really only played in 1.5 games. And one of those games he literally had weeks to prepare for and the other was against a team that was total dogshit at the time.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I can see Arians coveting Mahomes

Arians has been pretty cagey about what he wants out of a QB... he's ripped colleges in general for working out of the shotgun, and then we go and get logan thomas.

You watch mahomes and he could do basically anything. That tech team was good because of him and bad because their defense would give up 50+ points regularly.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

hifi posted:

Arians has been pretty cagey about what he wants out of a QB... he's ripped colleges in general for working out of the shotgun, and then we go and get logan thomas.

You watch mahomes and he could do basically anything. That tech team was good because of him and bad because their defense would give up 50+ points regularly.

Thomas was a VT qb, like Bruce himself

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Obviously the Browns will give a 1+3 for Jimmy G because they're the Browns

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Hello draft thread, how is the punter crop this year? Colts should definitely trade up in the 2nd for that Bama punter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

gently caress no

quote:

Appearing on ESPN's NFL Insiders Thursday, Panthers coach Ron Rivera said "our top runner cannot be our quarterback."

Jonathan Stewart was technically the Panthers' "top runner" in 2016, but remained injury prone and mostly a grinder. J-Stew has averaged 3.94 yards per carry over the past two seasons, and is going on 30. The Panthers need new juice in their backfield, and could be a candidate to select a running back on Day 1 of the draft. Rotoworld's Josh Norris mocked the Panthers LSU's Leonard Fournette in his first mock draft last month.

no no no no no

• Locked thread