Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
People need to close the gap between checking out and breaking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

My (23/M) girlfriend's (23/F) kpop obsession is out of control.

quote:

I'm worried that her obsession is getting out of hand. In a way it's cute, and I'm glad she has something that makes her so happy, but on the other hand, it has reached an extreme. It's all she ever talks about. Her reference point for everything. I really don't think fandom culture is all that bad, but with her, it's like her life revolves around when her favourite group releases an album or debating with people online about whether so and so has had work done.

You could insert any obsessive hobby in there, I guess. It's not kpop itself that's bad, it's just the hold it has on her. And she actually gets genuinely angry if I say something even mildly against one of the groups she follows. Her "ultimate bias" is Chanyeol from the group EXO. I once said he looks like meerkat and she glared at me so fiercely, I'm surprised laser beams didn't come shooting out of her eye sockets. Before anyone suggests it, no, I'm not jealous of how much she loves these guys. Again, I think it's cute. And I get it. They're handsome dudes. They can dance, sing, rap, act, all of that. What's not to like?

The thing is she's embarrassing herself (and me) now, and I feel really bad saying that, but it's true. She will openly say things like, "He's so hot, I'd let him punch me in the face," and "I want him to ruin me emotionally," and most recently, "I want Yuta to stick his fake chin in my rear end." If you're in the kpop community you've probably heard stuff like that getting thrown around pretty casually, and in a way it's kinda funny, but not when she's talking like that in front of her friends and my friends. They all like kpop, too, but they always raise their eyebrows or stare deadpan at her after as if wondering if she actually said those things out loud. I don't blame them.

I've lightly told her maybe she should take it down a notch, but she took major offense, so now I'm at a loss. How can I explain myself to her without coming across preachy and/or controlling? Also, I respect her interest, just not when she makes everyone in the room feel awkward about it.
Am I overreacting or does it sound just as bad as it feels? Also we're Korean-Canadian. Just thought I'd throw that out there so people don't think she's a weeb/koreaboo or something.
tl;dr My girlfriend's kpop obsession has gone too far. She keeps making really inappropriate comments about her favourite groups and members, in front of our friends. Really graphic, over sexual poo poo. Everyone always looks at her weirdly after. How do I bring this up to her without coming across controlling?

What in the gently caress?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
If that vegan guy can't make something work with "carrots, celery, hummus, beetroot dip, avocado dip, chips" for a morning snack he isn't a very good vegan. Those are some really good veggies.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Subjunctive posted:

I broke up with that person, got back together, and was then married for 15 years (one kid).
You are literally the only person I have ever heard of doing this and being successful. Everyone else breaks up, gets back together, then goes "oh right, that's why we broke up!" and breaks up again. One of my friends is in the process of doing this for the 4th time with the same girl because he's terrified of being alone and she's a loving sociopath.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
One of my (small, massachusetts) high school classmates is a high profile k-pop star now. It's funny because he has legions of fans and yet I have inside poo poo - a picture of us together on the high school math team.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

I once said he looks like meerkat and she glared at me so fiercely

Worth it? Worth it.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Charles Get-Out posted:

If that vegan guy can't make something work with "carrots, celery, hummus, beetroot dip, avocado dip, chips" for a morning snack he isn't a very good vegan. Those are some really good veggies.

he only eats pickles, black olives, and sand

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yawgmoth posted:

You are literally the only person I have ever heard of doing this and being successful.

I have other friends you should meet!

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

WampaLord posted:

Kpop obsessives are kind of weird, this is A Thing.

To wit, one of my friends is a really good artist & kpop fan and his Tumblr is full of his drawings of kpop and anime dudes bawling.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

You are literally the only person I have ever heard of doing this and being successful. Everyone else breaks up, gets back together, then goes "oh right, that's why we broke up!" and breaks up again. One of my friends is in the process of doing this for the 4th time with the same girl because he's terrified of being alone and she's a loving sociopath.

This can happen as well. I think it depends on the kind of reflecting a person does when they're broken up.

"I kept getting huffy about the contents in the fridge but not communicating; we fought so often about things that don't matter. I need to get perspective." <-- has a chance

"I am super super lonely and scared." <-- hrmmm

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Yea don't date anyone who has a creepy cult-level obsession with someone. Whether that's a K-Pop fan or Jennifer Lawrence stalker, not a healthy person

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Psycho Society posted:

Yea don't date anyone who has a creepy cult-level obsession with someone. Whether that's a K-Pop fan or Jennifer Lawrence stalker, not a healthy person

You will have to take my JLaw waifu body pillow from my cold dead hands.

Diabetes does a real number on the blood flow to your extremities.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
My ex-boyfriend [28 M] got his second DUI and totaled another car. I [24 F] am going to bail him out of jail later today and I don't know how to handle this without freaking out on him.

quote:

No throwaway, because screw it. It's my life and I'm going to have to deal with this reality one way or another.

Backstory:

My ex-boyfriend ('X') and I dated and lived together for three years and we broke up this past summer. We didn't break up directly because of these issues, but they were certainly a large factor in my decision to leave. X is one of those really really smart people who does very stupid things as a result of alcohol abuse. I'm sure you all know someone who fits a similar mold: The kind of guy who can get a masters degree in half time with an almost 4.0 GPA, but who can't remember not to get behind the wheel of a car after a night of drinking. The kind of guy who doesn't drink every night, but when he does drink he gets sloppy drunk. Of course, alcoholism runs in his family and his father died of the disease when X was a small child.

About this same time last year, X got his first DUI and called me from jail. I was irate when I got the phone call, because I had warned him time and time again to not get behind the wheel when he had been drinking. That time, he was out of state for his grandma's funeral and had been drinking with some family members before he decided to drive back home. It was a logistical nightmare because I had never tried to bail anyone out of jail before, let alone from out of state. Somehow, we worked it out and he got deferred judgement/probation. I don't think I'll ever forget him for bitching at me over the phone to bail him out faster, because he was going through cigarette/nicotine withdrawal (this was not typical behavior of his, I actually let him stay an extra day in jail for doing this).

To make a long story short, leopards don't change their spots. X continued to drink and refused to acknowledge his alcohol problem. All my warnings and concerns fell on deaf ears. I loved this man with all my heart (still do) and there was no amount of love that I could give him that could prevent him from self-destructing. I left a few months later for other reasons, but his alcohol abuse was a large factor. He insisted that he did not have an alcohol problem since he did not drink every day, but like a broken record I told him that he did not have to be addicted to have an alcohol problem. His unwillingness to admit he had an alcohol problem was a larger issue than the DUI.

Today:

This morning at work, I got a call from the county jail. As soon as I heard the words, "An inmate at XYZ jail is trying to contact you...." I knew that it was X calling because he got a DUI. I wouldn't have answered the phone at all, but X does not have any family in the area who could bail him out and the jail staff told me that he could not post his own bail. At noon today I am headed to the county jail to bail him out, but only because I know he would do the same for me. I'm not going to baby him, but I'll at least post $150 to get him out of jail. There is literally no one else who can bail him out besides myself.

My stomach is in knots thinking about this whole thing. I feel devastated because X has just messed up his life for real this time. He's still on probation from his first DUI and he is going back to jail one way or another. He totaled his car again and I don't even want to imagine how this is going to impact his job search. I'm sitting here at my desk crying over X's stupidity instead of focusing on my work. I'm trying to calm myself down in the next two hours and I don't know how to handle this without severely freaking out on him and yelling at him. That's not the reaction I need to have, because his problems are not my problems any more. I want to just bail him out, drop him off, and tell him to figure his own life out, but to do that I need to get my emotions under control.
Any advice or comments are welcome.

tl;dr: Ex-boyfriend of three years has some alcohol problems, doesn't drink every day but gets really drunk when he does. Ex is still on probation from his first DUI last year. I did my best to help him after the first DUI, but he refused to acknowledge his alcohol problem. We broke up for various reasons a few months ago and I've been trying to move on with my life. Ex totaled his car and got his second DUI last night, he called me this morning from the county jail. I'm going to bail him out in a few hours and I know I'm going to flip out on him. How do I manage this without completely freaking out and snapping on him?

quote:

I have to bail him out because my cat still lives with him, and he has the only keys to the house. I already asked the jail staff if I could get his house keys and the answer was no. The house is also alarmed, otherwise I would just smash the window to get the cat out.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Bubblyblubber posted:

You will have to take my JLaw waifu body pillow from my cold dead hands.

Diabetes does a real number on the blood flow to your extremities.

Not an emptyquote

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

WampaLord posted:

quote:

She will openly say things like, "He's so hot, I'd let him punch me in the face," and "I want him to ruin me emotionally," and most recently, "I want Yuta to stick his fake chin in my rear end." 

:catstare:

e: wait is this like the inverse of that Bob's burgers episode

the bitcoin of weed fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 1, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pick posted:

This can happen as well. I think it depends on the kind of reflecting a person does when they're broken up.

"I kept getting huffy about the contents in the fridge but not communicating; we fought so often about things that don't matter. I need to get perspective." <-- has a chance

"I am super super lonely and scared." <-- hrmmm
For him it's "I hate and fear the idea of having to meet and date someone new more than staying with someone who destroys my most precious/expensive things whenever she gets mad or drunk" and for her it's "I can't find a sugar daddy who will buy me a house right from the start and working is too hard even when it's just chatting naked on cam"

It's a real healthy relationship and I am kind of amazed one or both of them hasn't posted in /r/relationships yet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

My ex-boyfriend [28 M] got his second DUI and totaled another car. I [24 F] am going to bail him out of jail later today and I don't know how to handle this without freaking out on him.

I understand that your cat is worth risking harm against other human lives and putting your own life in danger, but why in the gently caress does it still live with him? That cat is a tramp and you should sever, its juts playing the field by talking about an "open ownership"

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Yawgmoth posted:

It's a real healthy relationship and I am kind of amazed one or both of them hasn't posted in /r/relationships yet.

Maybe they have posted, but have cunningly shifted their ages one year forwards / changed white wine to prosecco / switched the horse cock dildo's name from "Mr. Ed" to "Freckles" and fooled all of us.

Fooled us all like chumps.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

Me [21f] finally lost all interest in [37m] boyfriend and he just disgusts me

quote:

I have had months of things going further and further down hill and then being good for a few days. Our relationship has been a vicious cycle I have gotten to the point in which I was going to leave or kick him out a few times. The other night something that he said just hit me the wrong way and everything changed. He has always been mean to me and called me names and talked down to me but now with fat comments and slut comments when I am the only one working and pay for EVERYTHING.... no. He has not worked for months and months I have two kids under 5 to take care of and I work full time and I am in school full time. It is just hard coming to terms with the fact that the man that I thought I loved so much just disgusts me now he is such a freaking looser, and that fact hurts me. Trying really hard to avoid thinking about things like "why was I not enough for him to love me after everything I did?" In all honesty it does not matter anymore I am planning on moving when good ol taxes come back at the end of the month but how do I live in this until then? I have been sleeping in the baby's room because I just cant sleep by him he just makes me uncomfortable and yells at me (seriously yells at me for trying to be intimate at night, for not doing things after work around the house, for waking him up in the morning when I get ready for work and I just cant take it.) Sex used to be a fall back for us but not anymore he still feels intimacy toward me and close to me but it is even more uncomfortable than hooking up with a total stranger to me so much so that I cant even physically allow sex down there which has never been a problem. My thing is that this whole thing still hurts, but I have just reached a level of resentment that makes it all that much harder, how can I try to make it till I can leave with out making it too much of hell? I cant be too obvious that I am not interested anymore I do not want to set him off and deal with screaming or threats I am just over it.

tl;dr: How to live resenting who you are with
Deleted less than a day ago:

My boyfriend is super mean and I hate him so I'm making out with my kids uncle on my lunch break

Post two months ago:

The man I'm in love with is slowly murdering my sexuality

quote:

Ok so, I have been with him for a handful of months and this man is killing my sexuality. I am a very sexual person I love to do it I think about it often people know me for being open and comfortable with it. But, my SO gets really upset with me because I try to do it too often. He doesn't check me out, like ever. If I try to get his attention just so he will look at me once in awhile he gets angry. I try everything I can to get his attention like dressing up for him or not dressing at all and still nothing. I understand that because hes older (37) his sex drive is lower than mine and im (21f). I am starting to really hate it. It is something that I really enjoy, I hate the constant rejection I hate him acting like doing anything sexual with me is a chore half the time, and I hate not feeling like Im good enough for him or that I am unattractive. I have other men looking at me all the time, or trying to get my attention or make me feel good but im loyal and I want my man just to enjoy me but instead I get yelled at. Like If I try to wake him up with head I get yelled at. "why cant we just cuddle you grab on me constantly" Is that really that big of a problem? UGH I don't know that's my confession, this is a huge deal to me and it shouldn't be it ruins my day.
and she has one selfie posted on r/roastme that I can't even bring myself to post cause this woman's life is already depressing as poo poo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
there should be age gap laws

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ouhei posted:

Your company has HR for a loving reason, report his rear end. Problem Solved, NEXT.

Edit: Apparently I can't read and they don't have HR, then report him to management. Same effect.

Depressing as it sounds, small companies don't legally need HR in the US, and that means they can do almost anything they want. I used to work for a place on Long Island (before moving to NYC) that had only eight employees. The bookkeeper was comfortable enough to only ever refer to black people as niggers, even in polite conversation. I complained, and was told by the Italian Office Manager "If someone called me a guinea, I wouldn't care" as though that somehow made it okay. It's a loving soul-crushing experience.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

and she has one selfie posted on r/roastme that I can't even bring myself to post cause this woman's life is already depressing as poo poo

She's just full of piercings, she's not like a super uggo troll. Didn't understand your reservations.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

Bubblyblubber posted:

She's just full of piercings, she's not like a super uggo troll. Didn't understand your reservations.
I dunno I get weird spasms of conscience when I post in this thread sometimes.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 1, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
conscience, I assume

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

Pick posted:

conscience, I assume
yes, thank you

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
nooo but i like funny typos :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

That guy reminds me of me and there is no intent to hurt; I bet he's more concerned about ensuring a stable support-structure for your relationship, thus his focus on so much work, for he may have come across statistics about divorces or break-ups usually being over matters of money or lack-of-money, and he simply wants to ensure that the support-structures of sufficient finances are in place so that he does not risk letting your relationship crumble. I know it seems paranoid-like, but as a MAN, who seems to match closely with his description, this is one of my reasons. I know for a fact that it would be extremely painful for me to lose a woman whom I had chosen to commit myself 100% to and I would be willing to work like a madman to make sure that ALL of our «material-needs» were covered, for I know how unstable the economy is in a world of police-state interference, and any «risk» of «forced separation» would cause me to do everything that I felt necessary to reach self-made multi-millionaire status for our benefit.

quote:

The most important piece of advice that anybody can give you is to keep your emotions under control as much as possible. Absolutely do not direct any angry emotions towards him (surely he is not abusive and does not intentionally try to hurt or harm you otherwise why would you be in love with him). Why not try offering to help him with his work or his tasks or take on being a «secretary» for his scheduling if you're qualified for the job ? If you're not qualified for the job then try learning how to be able to be of assistance to his career, what skills you might need, and this way you will be able to spend more time together, working towards his career-goals and stuff together.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if you don't use a throwaway account on r/relationships your awful boyfriend will

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Pick posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if you don't use a throwaway account on r/relationships your awful boyfriend will

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXoTM9apowE&t=45s

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
After reading about the Bumble BFF thing last night, I turned to my husband and mentioned it. He said, "you should sign up" lol

So I did. Here's my trip report: 95% (not an exaggeration) of women in my city mention either "adventures", "brunch", or "happy hour". Other extremely common ones: yoga, hiking, dogs, wine, watching The Bachelor. I mean, I get that you want to list common things to maximize your chances to find a buddy, but oh my god even the pictures looked like the same woman over and over. I went through at least a hundred. I live in the most basic of cities, apparently, at least in terms of pseudo-dating app users. I feel for you single guys out there trying to find someone of substance on dating sites.

Uninstalled.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pick posted:

everyone should be allowed to make their own choices in life but there should definitely be something in the system to account for the fact that young people are dumb and there are a lot of sexual predators in their 30s and 40s

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

artichoke posted:

After reading about the Bumble BFF thing last night, I turned to my husband and mentioned it. He said, "you should sign up" lol

So I did. Here's my trip report: 95% (not an exaggeration) of women in my city mention either "adventures", "brunch", or "happy hour". Other extremely common ones: yoga, hiking, dogs, wine, watching The Bachelor. I mean, I get that you want to list common things to maximize your chances to find a buddy, but oh my god even the pictures looked like the same woman over and over. I went through at least a hundred. I live in the most basic of cities, apparently, at least in terms of pseudo-dating app users. I feel for you single guys out there trying to find someone of substance on dating sites.

Uninstalled.

it's every city, IDK whether there's some nefarious social pressure convincing women that the most desirable traits in the world are a love of wine, travel, and Game of Thrones or that's really just as close as 95% of people really get to being interesting but yeah

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Bumble is like some weirdo (even more weirdo) version of tinder where everyone is trying really hard to embody the "young successful businessperson in 1995" for whatever reason

Who knew young people were so into windsurfing in between their meetings for their 3 startups

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Mirthless posted:

everyone should be allowed to make their own choices in life but there should definitely be something in the system to account for the fact that young people are dumb and there are a lot of sexual predators in their 30s and 40s

well yeah there already are laws like that. It just ends in most of the world around 15-16 or 18

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

it's every city, IDK whether there's some nefarious social pressure convincing women that the most desirable traits in the world are a love of wine, travel, and Game of Thrones or that's really just as close as 95% of people really get to being interesting but yeah

It's because most people are insecure posers.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

It's because most people are insecure posers.

couldn't they pose as someone with actual interests, like even if they were doing the whole "I thought about what it'd be like to be Jennifer Aniston once, in middle school = I'm an actress" thing it'd at least imply they ever had hopes or dreams

anyway linking this one cause it's super long and self-absorbed but I'm sure a certain contingent of this thread will super appreciate it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/1nrdfm/me_21f_with_my_boyfriend_21m_of_over_a_year_i_had/

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

drinking wine and watching game of thrones by yourself while desperately wishing you had someone to travel with is the hallmark of a sad lonely woman, there are a lot of those around

notice all the activities listed are either solitary or really basic things people would normally do with close friends

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

If they had awesome amazing hobbies they shared with awesome people, they wouldn't be using a dating app, they would have found someone already through those hobbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If I get on bumble and some lonely accounts payable-rear end lady wants to go on an "adventure" I at least better get a +1 undead slaying ring out of it