Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

If only Amy Trask were still with the Raiders. She would have gotten this poo poo done a long time ago.

Also, fwiw

https://twitter.com/AmyTrask/status/826261867286835201

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
If the Raiders moved to San Diego, twice a year rabid Raider fans could swarm over the stadium.

So, you know, no change from the last couple years.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Glass of Milk posted:

If the Raiders moved to San Diego, twice a year rabid Raider fans could swarm over the stadium.

So, you know, no change from the last couple years.

:confused:

I don't think you know how scheduling works.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

If only Amy Trask were still with the Raiders. She would have gotten this poo poo done a long time ago.

Also, fwiw

https://twitter.com/AmyTrask/status/826261867286835201

If Davis isn't going to sell some of his ownership stake to Sheldon Adelson to get to Vegas, why would he sell some of his ownership stake to the Lott group to stay in Oakland?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Chichevache posted:

:confused:

I don't think you know how scheduling works.

You're forgetting the yearly swarm of raider fans that converge for no reason.

Or maybe I don't know how scheduling works.

I'm not used to this ok

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

You're forgetting the yearly swarm of raider fans that converge for no reason.

Or maybe I don't know how scheduling works.

I'm not used to this ok

You play the other teams in your own division twice a year - once at home and once away. You don't play any other team more than once unless you meet in the playoffs (and you can only meet another team in the other conference a second time in the superbowl).

So, while the Chargers and the Raiders are in the same division and thus play twice a year, they would only play once in any putative Raiders home game in San Diego or wherever.

But also if the Raiders were in San Diego then presumably all their home games would be swarmed by Raiders fans so your post makes no sense in that direction either? Are you suggesting they'd only be swarmed by Raiders fans in San Diego when they were playing the LA Chargers, for some reason?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sooooo what about all that talk of how great a GM Mark Davis is?

Can't believe he hosed this up.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I'm really glad it looks like the raiders will be staying in California :)

Teams moving for cynical capitalists motives should never be tolerated. It's only OK when teams leave lovely places full of terrible white people, like seattle

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just like when the thread was certain the raiders were going to LV, you guys are being way too premature with your "I guess the deal is dead" thing. LV is still a strong possibility and Goldman Sachs has not publicaly and officially stated that they won't fund a stadium period. There is negotiation to be had, and if GS really is out, another financier may be a possibility.

Just calm down and wait.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
How long till they move to St Louis?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

kiimo posted:

Sooooo what about all that talk of how great a GM Mark Davis is?

Can't believe he hosed this up.

The NFL should swap Mark Davis and Jed York. If there is one thing I am confident York can do, it's figure out how to build a stadium where people will melt in the heat.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

The Glumslinger posted:

How long till they move to St Louis?

The only way I'd probably stop being a raiders fan

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Mexico City Raiders here we come.

Won't get through the wall.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Blitz7x posted:

The only way I'd probably stop being a raiders fan

Ironically the only place with an acceptable stadium.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
LA Raiders or I keep pretending I care about the Cardinals once or twice a year.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Won't get through the wall.

Seriously. We've got a player named Jihad for crissake

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Move them way out - Quartzsite or Blythe.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

If Davis isn't going to sell some of his ownership stake to Sheldon Adelson to get to Vegas, why would he sell some of his ownership stake to the Lott group to stay in Oakland?

I don't know the answer but in her defense she does say compromise from both parties.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well, Nevada politicians are already releasing statements threatening to re-dedicate that money, so if Davis can pull anyone in we should know in a day or two.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Banks don't finance 1b+ in term loan A type debt anymore. They would get annihilated by the Feds when it came time to get their scorecard.

If GS was going to be involved it would be for a smaller tranche they held and a ton of securitised debt they sold at rates investors would buy it at--a price the muni area probably doesn't want to be on the hook for. Stadium deals generally yield 1.08, which is a lot for a non-general obligation fund.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Leperflesh posted:

You play the other teams in your own division twice a year - once at home and once away. You don't play any other team more than once unless you meet in the playoffs (and you can only meet another team in the other conference a second time in the superbowl).

So, while the Chargers and the Raiders are in the same division and thus play twice a year, they would only play once in any putative Raiders home game in San Diego or wherever.

But also if the Raiders were in San Diego then presumably all their home games would be swarmed by Raiders fans so your post makes no sense in that direction either? Are you suggesting they'd only be swarmed by Raiders fans in San Diego when they were playing the LA Chargers, for some reason?

No I just forgot that I don't have a team here anymore.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
SD is such a better city without an NFL team u you loving r-words (retards).

Christ. gently caress off. They're gone. Do literally ANYTHING ELSE.

I'ma watch the SB and have a great time.

SDSU B1TCH. Loser Chargers Homers can go and live in Carson (ahhahahaha)

May they all die screaming.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Blitz7x posted:

Monterrey Bay Mud Pirates

Pelican Bay Raiders. They'll be closer to their most loyal fans that way.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Time posted:

Banks don't finance 1b+ in term loan A type debt anymore. They would get annihilated by the Feds when it came time to get their scorecard.

If GS was going to be involved it would be for a smaller tranche they held and a ton of securitised debt they sold at rates investors would buy it at--a price the muni area probably doesn't want to be on the hook for. Stadium deals generally yield 1.08, which is a lot for a non-general obligation fund.

So basically Mark Davis is an idiot? I mean, we already knew this, but perhaps an even bigger idiot than we thought? This leaves them with two options, both of which are hilarious. Option 1 is the Raiders go crawling back to Oakland and play in the poo poo infested coliseum, or go crawling back to Adelson to give him an ownership stake. This is going to rule.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Or go to San Diego which would rule

I mean lmao think of Dean spanos'face when he realizes he's about to lose like 50% of whatever fans he thought he would retain in SD

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
whats 50% of 36

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Chinatown posted:

SD is such a better city without an NFL team u you loving r-words (retards).

Christ. gently caress off. They're gone. Do literally ANYTHING ELSE.

I'ma watch the SB and have a great time.

SDSU B1TCH. Loser Chargers Homers can go and live in Carson (ahhahahaha)

May they all die screaming.

This is, almost 100%, what it's like talking to a Raiders fan in SD. Just needs a lil more random Mexican slang peppered in there.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Word is they aren't giving up. I guess they have until the vote in March to try to get it together.

Can one of the people who likes football explain to someone who doesn't, why the Raiders want to pay a $550MM relocation fee to grab $750MM of taxpayer money? I get the need for a bank/local rich guy either way, but if they remained in Northern California they automatically have $550,000,000 more in their budget to build with?

I get that the Coliseum sucks, I've watched a lot of baseball on a football field there. But if Mark is committing half a billion for relocation ransom and half a billion in construction... well, Levi's cost $1.3 billion. I don't know why a stadium in Vegas (where construction is rampant and cheap, the media market is small, and there are no super wealthy tech-bros) needs to cost 25% more.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
What's the word for, your own world is burning down all around you, but at least you can enjoy the fact that the assholes across the bay are also suffering a bit?

:munch:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

Word is they aren't giving up. I guess they have until the vote in March to try to get it together.

Can one of the people who likes football explain to someone who doesn't, why the Raiders want to pay a $550MM relocation fee to grab $750MM of taxpayer money? I get the need for a bank/local rich guy either way, but if they remained in Northern California they automatically have $550,000,000 more in their budget to build with?

I get that the Coliseum sucks, I've watched a lot of baseball on a football field there. But if Mark is committing half a billion for relocation ransom and half a billion in construction... well, Levi's cost $1.3 billion. I don't know why a stadium in Vegas (where construction is rampant and cheap, the media market is small, and there are no super wealthy tech-bros) needs to cost 25% more.

The relocation figure you're referring to was the one the NFL put on Spanos and Kroenke for their moves to LA. It's dictated by the NFL each time based on the circumstances. We have no idea what an LV relocation fee would be yet, but it should be pointed out that Kroenke and Spanos are both billionaires, and both stood to gain a lot by getting into LA, so the relocation fee reflected that.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Coldforge posted:

What's the word for, your own world is burning down all around you, but at least you can enjoy the fact that the assholes across the bay are also suffering a bit?

:munch:

Some next level Schadenfreude

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

If someone was willing to loan me the $550m, since I don't have it, I would absolutely pay $550m to receive $750m. Why are you even asking? That's a free $200m.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

More to the point, selling a stadium full of Personal Seat Licenses will be a windfall of close to a billion dollars, and that doesn't happen unless there's a new stadium somewhere.

Spanos' problem was that he wanted more than that -- he wanted to be able to develop the land surrounding the stadium for even more dollars, but he could only do that if the Chargers moved downtown since the city owns all the land surrounding the Mission Valley site.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Akileese posted:

So basically Mark Davis is an idiot? I mean, we already knew this, but perhaps an even bigger idiot than we thought? This leaves them with two options, both of which are hilarious. Option 1 is the Raiders go crawling back to Oakland and play in the poo poo infested coliseum, or go crawling back to Adelson to give him an ownership stake. This is going to rule.

He was probably expecting them to use their relationships to find another backing group to lead the deal. Goldman 100% want this to happen because of advisory fees. It just looks like the directors on the deal can't find someone willing to shoulder the brunt of it.

Selling bonds is another way this could still happen but it would require another vote. I'm not following this at all I just procedurally know how stadium financing works, so I don't know what the political will for that would be.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know why a stadium in Vegas (where construction is rampant and cheap, the media market is small, and there are no super wealthy tech-bros) needs to cost 25% more.

You have to hire somebody to dig all the holes in the desert.

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Pelican Bay Raiders. They'll be closer to their most loyal fans that way.

Move to San Luis Obispo so I can make SLO Raider Fan jokes.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Sheldon gave the raiders his bazinga

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Tricky Ed posted:

Spanos' problem was that he wanted more than that -- he wanted to be able to develop the land surrounding the stadium for even more dollars, but he could only do that if the Chargers moved downtown since the city owns all the land surrounding the Mission Valley site.

Spanos' problem was that he wanted LA all to himself and when the league spurned him for Kroenke, Spanos decided to move no matter what to spite the NFL. They knew that downtown was never going to happen so they insisted that was the only option then never promoted it in order to make a case for their 'trying' to stay.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Still mostly quiet as we wait for the owners meeting next month, but there's been some news.

quote:

There was some news last week that the group lead by Ronnie Lott which is pursuing the last minute “Save Oakland” deal for a Raiders stadium in the Bay Area was being bought out. The Japanese based SoftBank is indeed purchasing the Fortress Investment Group for $3.3 billion dollars.

With a new owner there was a chance of a change in direction for the group but it looks like it will not stop the pursuit of a stadium option in Oakland. The Fortress Group's spokesman Sam Singer says the sale “doesn't change anything” and that “Fortress is all in on the Raiders stadium deal.”. They do still have to get the Raiders and/or the NFL to be “all in” again with them for it to matter.

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/2/20/14678856/oakland-fortress-group-sells-to-softbank-says-stadium-deal-wont-be-effected-by-sale

quote:

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
The Raiders can be saved, after all.

The Clark County Board of Commissioners chairman, Steve Sisolak, told FOX5 on Monday the team has two confirmed funding sources to fill a $650 million funding hole in the Raiders' pursuit of a Las Vegas stadium.

As FOX5's Vince Sapienza reported, the sources of the funding were not immediately identified, but Sisolak said they could range from banks to private investors.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
That $650M is just gonna be the future taxes from legalized weed in NV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

a patagonian cavy posted:

That $650M is just gonna be the future taxes from legalized weed in NV

Sike

https://twitter.com/MatthewNussbaum/status/834862032604246017