Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I think he maaaay be on the outs with DAG at the moment on account of his horrible opinions about black people and how they should conduct themselves. He mentioned something in passing a few episodes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Medullah posted:

It really stinks too because I used to look forward to his podcast more than anything. I was listening to it when he was on the radio and the show was uploaded as a podcast. Just got worse and worse, finally gave up after the Alison crap. Tried giving it another go recently and just shut him off after fifteen minutes or so, hearing the old jokes repeated again and again

That is pretty much exactly how it happened with me too. I loved Loveline and the morning show and the first few years of the podcast. Cant even listen to it now. At least I can still listen to the old stuff, I guess

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Care Bear Stairs posted:

That is pretty much exactly how it happened with me too. I loved Loveline and the morning show and the first few years of the podcast. Cant even listen to it now. At least I can still listen to the old stuff, I guess

Even that's tainted for me. I've listened to a few of the older ones and it's just so drat hypocritical listening to him talk about some stuff. I still have (somewhere) his last radio show, and that was probably the pinnacle of where it began to slide downhill. The podcast was good when it mirrored the show, but it took him a while to realize he couldn't monetize it the way he wanted (if you remember, when he first launched it he was talking about making it a subscription only based podcast, etc).

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
The whole 2008 era of the morning show was gold.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

visuvius posted:

I think he maaaay be on the outs with DAG at the moment on account of his horrible opinions about black people and how they should conduct themselves. He mentioned something in passing a few episodes ago.

Somehow I think DAG might be one of those people who are smart enough/self-respecting enough to not tolerate Trump voters/supporters given the racist part of the fascist undertones/overtones/regular tones of Trump's entire campaign and existence.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

LOL at Vinny being a Dr.Sarno follower. Adam thinks back pain is all in your head because his back and neck used to hurt when he hated his construction job and went to work all day doing that. Then miraculously when he got a job he liked in radio all his aches and pains went away. Hmmmm maybe the radio job didnt involve any heavy lifting, maybe a correlation there?

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
One of the things that always irritated me about Carolla is when he would call himself a comedian. He took improv classes but he would always act like he had the comedy experience of someone like DAG,Jo Koy, etc. The only "stand up" of his I've seen has been a rehashed story, or some story where he has to spend 5 minutes about growing up in North Hollywood and his friends before he can start the joke.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

drat NIGGA posted:

One of the things that always irritated me about Carolla is when he would call himself a comedian. He took improv classes but he would always act like he had the comedy experience of someone like DAG,Jo Koy, etc. The only "stand up" of his I've seen has been a rehashed story, or some story where he has to spend 5 minutes about growing up in North Hollywood and his friends before he can start the joke.

But he's a comedy factory, not a warehouse. Terrible comedians just tell the same stories over and over again, he produces new material.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I mean, he is a comedian though. He makes a living by making people laugh (in theory). AFAIK he doesn't call himself a stand-up.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

drat NIGGA posted:

He's definitely a comedian but he's not a stand up comic as someone else has pointed out.

It's sort of like Leno. In his day Leno was a legitimate stand up. He crushed it and was very edgy. Then slowly over time, he stopped. He now has an act and he refuses to do any specials or anything like that, because it'd require him to write more. Instead he tours with the exact same act that he has 5 or 10 years ago.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Moniker posted:

He's definitely a comedian but he's not a stand up comic as someone else has pointed out.

It's sort of like Leno. In his day Leno was a legitimate stand up. He crushed it and was very edgy. Then slowly over time, he stopped. He now has an act and he refuses to do any specials or anything like that, because it'd require him to write more. Instead he tours with the exact same act that he has 5 or 10 years ago.

The guy fieri of late night

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hey so people who still follow the Ace Man - what's he got to say in the new Trump Empire?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Medullah posted:

Hey so people who still follow the Ace Man - what's he got to say in the new Trump Empire?

"Trump raised good kids so that means a lot"

Adam doesn't vote but if he did he would have absolutely voted for Trump.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's pretty bad on the A&D show (where Drew is pretty consistently conservative with mealy-mouthed "jeez not sure what these Democrats/protesters/liberals etc. make any sense to me" wonderment and vague chicken little panics about progressives and the same 5 founding fathers/de Tocqueville references) where they feed off another. Though not sure what the time lag is on recording, so maybe they haven't seen Trump in his full glory yet. If I were to sum up Adam's take as I understand it it would be "who the president is doesn't matter and it shouldn't matter to you".

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

pangstrom posted:

It's pretty bad on the A&D show (where Drew is pretty consistently conservative with mealy-mouthed "jeez not sure what these Democrats/protesters/liberals etc. make any sense to me" wonderment and vague chicken little panics about progressives and the same 5 founding fathers/de Tocqueville references) where they feed off another. Though not sure what the time lag is on recording, so maybe they haven't seen Trump in his full glory yet. If I were to sum up Adam's take as I understand it it would be "who the president is doesn't matter and it shouldn't matter to you".

The last time they took calls was on the 26th of January. They record a week of podcasts in one sitting

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
I'm finding myself really missing having a daily hour+ podcast to listen to but I don't think I'm going back to this one - someone pitch me a better one.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Was going to point you to the rec thread, but looks like you found it already. My super-generic rec is to replace it with more than one non-daily podcast. There's a reason most folks, regardless of what they'll claim, don't actually love listening to their family on a minute-to-minute basis even if their family is particularly great or loving or informative or entertaining or whatever. Daily hour+ is a lot.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I once in awhile come back to the show when I'm desperate for something to listen to. I don't think it's gotten worse, it's just that there are so many good podcasts available.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

alternatively find one of the random loveline streams and remember a better time and place with the aceman

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Kaptain K posted:

I'm finding myself really missing having a daily hour+ podcast to listen to but I don't think I'm going back to this one - someone pitch me a better one.

Multiple podcasts will do. Most comedy podcasts come out Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday due to traveling on weekends. If that's your thing, then subscribe to a few and listen throughout the week.

A newer one I just discovered is The Dollop. One guy tells these off the wall (true) stories and the other guy cracks jokes during it. It's the best. The last one was about a guy who invented a jet pack and then got into litigation about it with his partner, then someone was kidnapped and almost killed, the jetpack went missing, the guy wouldn't return it and ended up going to jail because he was too stubborn to give up the jetpack. It goes on and on. loving insane story and it's hilarious.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Tweak posted:

alternatively find one of the random loveline streams and remember a better time and place with the aceman

I was thinking that someone should put up a loveline archive RSS feed with multiple release cadences so you could add the right one for you to your podcatcher.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Wouldn't gio just tattle on them and get it shut down or has he finally moved on—nope never mind he's pulling down ~$1100 a month on patreon lmao

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Moniker posted:

A newer one I just discovered is The Dollop. One guy tells these off the wall (true) stories and the other guy cracks jokes during it. It's the best. The last one was about a guy who invented a jet pack and then got into litigation about it with his partner, then someone was kidnapped and almost killed, the jetpack went missing, the guy wouldn't return it and ended up going to jail because he was too stubborn to give up the jetpack. It goes on and on. loving insane story and it's hilarious.

Seriously thanks for this recommendation. This is now one of my favorite podcasts.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Been listening to Dollop for years, it's great obviously and there's a big backlog.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oh hey Dave Anthony is one of the guys who does the Dollop, I forgot he'd started that, I'm going to check it out.

Walking the Room is one of my all time favorites, if you want an older one to go back and listen to. Dave Anthony is a horrible person in the best possible ways, him and Greg Behrendt did something magical that can't ever be reproduced in the same way and shouldn't be, they ended it at a perfect time.

There are so many podcasts out there it's overwhelming. I started branching out a lot and doing more news and tech stuff. NPR has a bunch of stuff, Planet Money is always educational and really well produced and is a regular driving listen for me now.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Anybody see that SNL skit with black woman having the same name as prescription drugs? Hmmm....

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Anybody see that SNL skit with black woman having the same name as prescription drugs? Hmmm....

That bit has been around for decades. I remember seeing a stand up comedian as a kid. He was talking about his son Advil and his twins Murine and Visine.

Also here's an SNL skit from 1995 with the exact same premise. It's not an original idea at all.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Adam's new Spike show is on right now. Kimmel is making it funny but the live format I think will hurt it. Just too distracting. Could be a neat show with some proper editing.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Haven't seen it and just guessing, but feel like doing it live is Adam getting too much of what he wants. It's part Adam having a short work day at the expense of the product and part Adam showing off in a way that isn't entertaining (yo check out my construction skills in real time!). When I listened to his solo podcast he used to do this every once in awhile (wow listen to him race a car, wow listen to him hold the pads for Klitschko, etc). Plus yeah it's hard straight-up to be entertaining with a live unedited thing even if you script the heck out of it, rehearse etc.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think he's doing this to take the easier route. I think the idea is that it'll produce some comedy having Adam, a crew, and a celebrity try and build something in an hour with a little chaos going on. The show was actually pretty good but I think that's just because Kimmel works great with Adam in any setting. The issue comes when the guest is some minor actor from Chicago Fire that Adam doesn't know.

Still think the perfect show for Adam would be a home improvement one where him and some friends go to a home and help fix a DIYers gently caress-up. Catch a Contractor sort of had the right idea but the whole "let's get this bad contractor!" revenge stuff sucked. Just make fun of bad work and fix it with jokes. Simple show.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
(Yeah I guess I should watch it before guessing.)

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Adam has said that it is wayyyyy cheaper to do the live show than it was to do the catch a contractor show with all the people and cameramen and PI's and all that poo poo.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Makes sense, but that's another reason to get rid of the boring PI segment, the silly "sting house" and awkward confrontation.

I liked the parts of CAC where they were just showing off the shoddy work and explaining code and/or other reasons why to do the job one way and not another. Like the house with the door where the hinges were on the outside so you could simply pop the pins to take the door off.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

One of the best parts of the show tonight was Adam ripping on that guy who hosed up his project and wanted to make it worse by drawing attention to it. "This would be like me shining a flashlight on my botched circumcision". I just think a version of Holmes on Homes but instead of getting mad about the crappy work it gets made fun of would make a good show for him.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
A little bit too much going on in the show IMO. But it's decent. Happy Adam is the best Adam. A few of the jokes were repeats and Name That Tool is something Ray and Stromer came up with on Ace on the House. Glad to see Ray getting a paycheck either way.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This thread is like 80% crapping on Adam so I'm just going to repeat the pro-forma thing and say I'm a fan in general and I'm not talking about all the things I like about him; even if after ~20 years I'm down to listening to the the caller parts of the A&D podcast that's really a big compliment in a world with a lot of fresh entertainment options. THAT SAID, one of his most cringe-inducing opinions to me has always been the free market healthcare "poor people can get patched up at county like I did/Europe went overboard with the socialized medicine" thing and I'm going to tune in to his main podcast the next couple days to see how/if he metabolizes the recent Jimmy Kimmel monologue.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

pangstrom posted:

This thread is like 80% crapping on Adam so I'm just going to repeat the pro-forma thing and say I'm a fan in general and I'm not talking about all the things I like about him; even if after ~20 years I'm down to listening to the the caller parts of the A&D podcast that's really a big compliment in a world with a lot of fresh entertainment options. THAT SAID, one of his most cringe-inducing opinions to me has always been the free market healthcare "poor people can get patched up at county like I did/Europe went overboard with the socialized medicine" thing and I'm going to tune in to his main podcast the next couple days to see how/if he metabolizes the recent Jimmy Kimmel monologue.

He won't even touch on the political point. Any time it's obvious he's butting heads with a friend he just avoids it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
He's been brutal on friends when he disagrees with them and is right or at least thinks he's right.

edit: probably should clarify I don't think he's actually going to disagree explicitly because Kimmel is an old friend and "influential" and there is his sick baby on the field etc. But just based on what he's been saying on A&D as I mash the "forward" button he's been going to the mat with Ray and David Wild recently.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 3, 2017

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

pangstrom posted:

He's been brutal on friends when he disagrees with them and is right or at least thinks he's right.

If by brutal, you mean ignoring everything they say and insisting on his world Jew. He sets next to Bald Brian, who was being billed 100k+ per dose for his meds, and still says everything worked out fine because he got Jay Leno to help do a benefit for him.

I resisted so long, but Adam is a pretty disgusting person. He's actually getting progressively worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

UltraRed posted:

ignoring everything they say and insisting on his world Jew.

Same