Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Clark's mommy issues are evident in him dating an older woman, but that's ok, I'm not here to kinkshame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Clark's mommy issues are evident in him dating an older woman, but that's ok, I'm not here to kinkshame.

:respek:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!
He loves two older women who are his world.

Three, if you count the Earth.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

In fairness, if he wasn't into Amy Adams, then all of you would be agreeing with me that he's insane.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

In fairness, if he wasn't into Amy Adams, then all of you would be agreeing with me that he's insane.

Goes without saying.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Note how the previous Superman movie cast it, though. Kate Bosworth was so young and meek she didn't seem credible. Even Margot Kidder seemed more comical and klutzy than a romantic foil. This casting is much more in line with the tough, mature Dana Delaney.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
There's exactly one sequence in MoS in which Superman might have killed civilians - when fighting Zod in the air, there's a point at which he gets smashed by Zod into the side of a skyscraper in a still lit-up/populated area, and he manages to get control of the grapple and ends up dragging Zod across the side of the skyscraper all the way to the edge of the building. Fallen (given that, in the movie, it falls, and we all know what happens to falling things) glass or metal from the building's facade could well have hit bystanders.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Note how the previous Superman movie cast it, though. Kate Bosworth was so young and meek she didn't seem credible. Even Margot Kidder seemed more comical and klutzy than a romantic foil. This casting is much more in line with the tough, mature Dana Delaney.

Bosworth is probably the worst of the big screen Lois Lanes but I still feel like she kinda gets a bad rap (but then I feel that way about the whole movie).

I also think it's a crime how badly Amy Adams has been wasted in the role, but the casting's definitely on point.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, it can happen - and then he's taken to task for it in the sequel - but before he can face trial ... well, we know what happens then via Luthor.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Then again, it's possible that the momentum of the pair was such, or the force with which Zod was propelling himself was such, that Superman literally did not have the strength to pull away from the building entirely and could at best prevent himself and Zod from crashing through the building all together. In conclusion,

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Didn't Zod throw a Gas Truck at Superman that he dodged and allowed to hit a building behind him and explode at the start of that fight?

Superman not caring about collateral damage seems like a fair reading from the movie. Not the only reading sure but it's not crazy trolling if you watch the movie and think that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

He dodged it, then it exploded behind him, and he immediately got an "oh, gently caress" expression and turned around to stare. A moment later, Zod charged in from stage right to smash him into the pavement. It's literally caring about collateral damage that caused him to lose the initiative, and a few blows into the resulting exchange, when Superman was finally starting to get the upper hand, a car from the exploding parking garage landed on him and thereby allowed Zod to get his breath back.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

axelord posted:

Didn't Zod throw a Gas Truck at Superman that he dodged and allowed to hit a building behind him and explode at the start of that fight?

Superman not caring about collateral damage seems like a fair reading from the movie. Not the only reading sure but it's not crazy trolling if you watch the movie and think that.

He immediately looks back at the explosion with regret because he could have stopped it. Then Zod punches him.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

'not caring about collateral damage' implies superman was in a position to care one way or the other during the first genuine fight of his life against a trained soldier who was rapidly becoming as inhumanly powerful as he is

it ascribes a sense of callousness that isn't actually there

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

nerd response to man of steel is the goonlord version of realizing for the first time that your dad isn't invincible

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The characterization is that Clark thinks like someone who is, again, in literal alien territory. There has been no 'training,' no preparation - and his use of his powers is dependent and reactive upon his emotional state, especially at this 'heightened' moment where so much happens to him in an extremely short amount of time, after years of being an indigent loner and sometimes petty vigilante. He is no longer the sports star of the revered Donner films. He doesn't even like sports, as a major subplot of Batman v Superman emphasizes. Dozens killed. Man of Steel & Beavis are both not the Donner films, but, also, refuse to subscribe to cynicism.

Man of Steel presents Clark as diametrically defined by both his incomparable power and invulnerability, and his traumatic experience of self-imposed isolation. But this repression and isolation is expressed even further at the level of pop artifice, with weird eugenic space Spartans and valleys of skulls. To the extent that critics of Snyder's films attempt to criticize the apparent morbid imagery of the film, they almost always make something up ("Clark squished a guy!"), rather than talking about what actually happens in the film. The morbid imagery is not at all sanitized, to the extent that we even get a Wilhelm scream as some soldiers die executing a suicide attack. This is not Snyder failing to attend to the 'tone' of his film. The movie already opened with Gigerian phallic prison pods, the satire is far more nuanced than simply this reductive question of whether or not you personally like how Clark behaves like a reactive, untrained individual, and not like the controlled proxy of an optimistic author. Man of Steel is clearly not a power fantasy. It is a violent, reactive, psychosexual sci-fi movie in the mold of Who Wants to Kill Jessie?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Brother Entropy posted:

'not caring about collateral damage' implies superman was in a position to care one way or the other during the first genuine fight of his life against a trained soldier who was rapidly becoming as inhumanly powerful as he is

it ascribes a sense of callousness that isn't actually there

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

nerd response to man of steel is the goonlord version of realizing for the first time that your dad isn't invincible

This is pretty much the truth.

It goes all the way back to the shite argument, "NOT MY SUPERMAN".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

axelord posted:

Absolutely, what should have happened is that Superman should have let the truck hit him, which would have exploded. Earlier in the film we saw that an exploding gas pump stunned Superman for around 30 seconds. So the best thing to do in the middle of a life-or-death fight with a guy who says he'll kill everyone on Earth if he beats you is to allow yourself to be knocked senseless so that your opponent can snap your neck and kill your girlfriend, your mother, and everyone else on the planet.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Absolutely, what should have happened is that Superman should have let the truck hit him, which would have exploded.

Or he could've caught it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Anyone wanna talk about how bad "Justice League: Dark" was?

Haven't seen it. How was it? Haven't been able to find anything good animated comic book wise since Justice League Unlimited.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ah yes, the tanker truck that blew up when it came to a violent stop on the side of a building would not do that if it came to a violent stop by Superman.

Now this is the part where you say that the guy who specifically hasn't mastered his powers and makes uncontrollable huge shockwaves when he takes off (to the point where he has to say "stand back" to his girlfriend) could gently and expeditiously stop a careening fuel truck in the middle of a fight where the entire planet is at stake.

LOL

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ah yes, the tanker truck that blew up when it came to a violent stop on the side of a building would not do that if it came to a violent stop by Superman.

Now this is the part where you say that the guy who specifically hasn't mastered his powers and makes uncontrollable huge shockwaves when he takes off (to the point where he has to say "stand back" to his girlfriend) could gently and expeditiously stop a careening fuel truck in the middle of a fight where the entire planet is at stake.

LOL

Why not?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

When in that entire movie has he shown the ability to catch things harmlessly.

This is not a Superman with super perfect control of his strength. he's either taking it real easy so as not to break poo poo, or he's pile driving through grain silos.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

When in that entire movie has he shown the ability to catch things harmlessly.

Do you assume someone can't catch things harmlessly if you don't see it demonstrated?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's not the Matrix.

E:

Why can't the man who just learned he could fly master his skills immediately???!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlINHSnUx9k

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Do you assume someone can't catch things harmlessly if you don't see it demonstrated?

When physics do not work that way and the movie has gone out of its way the entire time to demonstrate that Superman reacts to physics realistically for someone who is both invulnerable and super strong.

AKA- Big thing comes flying at him, he tries to stop it, it will smash on him because he is harder than the wall it would have hit anyways.

Even in Batman V Superman, he can barely hold onto the shuttle without breaking it, and that's after a while of using his powers. And that was stationary- something flying at him? It's gonna get smashed.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Doesn't he catch Lois?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

axelord posted:

Doesn't he catch Lois?

by accelerating to the same speed she was during a drop, then decelerating at a Christopher Reeve pace. But no he didn't "catch" her like a softball, like what was being debated.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

When physics do not work that way and the movie has gone out of its way the entire time to demonstrate that Superman reacts to physics realistically for someone who is both invulnerable and super strong.

I can see how this works for someone who wants Superman to be more "realistic" but again that feels like a very boring approach to the character to me.

In 2017... You Will Believe a Man can Catch a Truck.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Your preferred hypothetical scenario is inadmissible as evidence against Man of Steel. Nobody is debating your hypothesis that Clark catching the tanker and then doing something-something is better than his knee-jerk reaction in the film, because it's a worthless, shallow debate.

They are telling you what happens in the movie: Clark behaves reactively because while he can't be killed (as far as he knows), he still feels pain, and isn't thinking about what's behind him as a flying alien evil uncle throws a tanker at him. This is not a scene of Clark killing people.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!
I meam, it's a movie so he can do what the director wants him to. In this case, he would need to be able to cancel the inertia of objects he catches. He doesn't seem to be able to do that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is the Superman vs. Doomsday fight the first time Superman ever got into one of these all-out back and forth brawls where whole buildings get smashed? That's the first time I remember seeing him get knocked around as a kid, I was used to him never really breaking a sweat.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Zod could've just landed peacefully and ran for president on an anti-Superman platform. Superman would never interfere with a democratic election process.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

MrJacobs posted:

by accelerating to the same speed she was during a drop, then decelerating at a Christopher Reeve pace. But no he didn't "catch" her like a softball, like what was being debated.

So he's able to accelerate at the exact rate of someone falling from a plane and decelerate at a safe speed so Lois is not harmed at all seems like he could use those same abilities to catch a truck if he wanted too.

Come on guys and you do realize the real reason he didn't catch the Truck is that Snyder wanted to have a big explosion.

And my point was thinking Superman doesn't care about collateral damage is a read you can come up with from watching the movie. It's not some crazy made up thing you can watch the movie and think that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ferrinus posted:

He dodged it, then it exploded behind him, and he immediately got an "oh, gently caress" expression and turned around to stare. A moment later, Zod charged in from stage right to smash him into the pavement. It's literally caring about collateral damage that caused him to lose the initiative, and a few blows into the resulting exchange, when Superman was finally starting to get the upper hand, a car from the exploding parking garage landed on him and thereby allowed Zod to get his breath back.

There's another layer of context to the exploding tanker in that it's a reference to a similar scene in the 1980 Superman II where Zod tries to blow up a tanker during their Metropolis battle and Superman stops him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVq6p7Ri1JU&t=27s

Zod & crew are deliberately trying to cause as many human casualties as possible and Superman is run ragged trying to save everyone. In the end he realises that the only way to avoid collateral deaths is to lead the Kryptonians away from the city so he flies away and all the Metropolean citizens immediately accuse him of being a coward.

The 2013 Man Of Steel approaches pretty much the same scene and either A) ramps up the pathos by not allowing Superman to relocate the battle, thereby forcing him to make hard decisions, or B) 'fixes' the scene by removing the bathos ("Cool it!") and adding bigger and better explosions, depending on how cynical your viewing was.

axelord posted:

Come on guys and you do realize the real reason he didn't catch the Truck is that Snyder wanted to have a big explosion.
I can totally imagine Snyder watching the 1980 film and being totally disappointed that Zod hit a tanker truck with his heat vision but it didn't blow up in the slightest, and vowing to fix that in his version.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

axelord posted:

And my point was thinking Superman doesn't care about collateral damage is a read you can come up with from watching the movie.
Nah, not really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqlaXylsMwQ&t=96s

EDIT: Although that catch looks pretty painful!

Martman fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 1, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

axelord posted:

So he's able to accelerate at the exact rate of someone falling from a plane and decelerate at a safe speed so Lois is not harmed at all seems like he could use those same abilities to catch a truck if he wanted too.

Ah, this makes sense. Because I can throw a 10 pound medicine ball over my head and catch it safely I could also do the same with a couple of 45 pound plates held together by chains. Solid analysis.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Zod had inscribed the tanker with Explosive Runes, Greater such that it would have unleashed a city-leveling nuclear blast if it came into direct contact with Superman. Didn't you watch the movie?

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Yeah he saves a soldier and the general and then throws a guy into a train yard that explodes.

Wasn't this fight started by Superman flying Zod into the middle of Smallvile since he was threatening his mom too? I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Ah, this makes sense. Because I can throw a 10 pound medicine ball over my head and catch it safely I could also do the same with a couple of 45 pound plates held together by chains. Solid analysis.

Man he's freaking Superman you guys are the one saying catching a truck was impossible come on.

• Locked thread