Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Honestly, I don't even think he realized it'd explode until it was too late. If he had he wouldn't be horrified the moment it did behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

axelord posted:

Man he's freaking Superman you guys are the one saying catching a truck was impossible come on.

so again this all comes back to coming into the movie already with expectations on what superman is and is not allowed to be and acting incredulous when the movie doesn't align with an argeement it never made in the first place

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Ferrinus posted:

Honestly, I don't even think he realized it'd explode until it was too late. If he had he wouldn't be horrified the moment it did behind him.

Superman has, to his horror, discovered he's in the Snyderverse.

axelord posted:

Man he's freaking Superman you guys are the one saying catching a truck was impossible come on.

Then your argument should be "he could do it in other media so he should be able to do it here". And we could say "This is a the movie that takes great pains to show you that this guy isn't the Superman from other media yet." And everyone is happy and we all have cake and ice cream together.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 1, 2017

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Brother Entropy posted:

so again this all comes back to coming into the movie already with expectations on what superman is and is not allowed to be and acting incredulous when the movie doesn't align with an argeement it never made in the first place

So Superman destroys a massive World Engine that was threatening all human life on the opposite side of the world. Fly's to Metropolis in time to save Lois falling from an airplane.

But you believe catching a Truck is impossible for him?

That's what is being argued in this thread. Again all I'm saying is thinking Superman doesn't care about collateral damage is something you can take away from the movie.

axelord fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 1, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Your preferred hypothetical scenario is inadmissible as evidence against Man of Steel. Nobody is debating your hypothesis that Clark catching the tanker and then doing something-something is better than his knee-jerk reaction in the film, because it's a worthless, shallow debate.

They are telling you what happens in the movie: Clark behaves reactively because while he can't be killed (as far as he knows), he still feels pain, and isn't thinking about what's behind him as a flying alien evil uncle throws a tanker at him. This is not a scene of Clark killing people.

Right, like i said, it's a scene of him not really caring enough to protect them. Collateral damage is not his concern.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

axelord posted:

So Superman destroys a massive World Engine that was threatening all human life on the opposite side of the world. Fly's to Metropolis in time to save Lois falling from an airplane.

what's to 'believe'? the movie is right there, showing that superman is capable of great things but his reflexes aren't honed enough that he sees a truck flying at his face and instinctively goes 'yeah i got this, no prob' and that feels totally in line with a superman who's never had to go all out before in his life

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Right, like i said, it's a scene of him not really caring enough to protect them. Collateral damage is not his concern.
Oh I thought you said he squishes people. We're back to "he doesn't care enough" though, I'm fine with that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Martman posted:

Nah, not really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqlaXylsMwQ&t=96s

EDIT: Although that catch looks pretty painful!

So how much damage can a Kryptonian take? That lady got knocked out with some standard Earth missles.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It is a scene of him caring so much that he gets his rear end kicked for it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Right before that, Superman has damaged her helmet. Just like with Zod, she's suddenly exposed to her super-senses for the first time and gets overwhelmed. That plus the sound of the missile is enough it looks like.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shageletic posted:

So how much damage can a Kryptonian take? That lady got knocked out with some standard Earth missles.

As per BvS, an ICBM will render a Kryptonian unconscious and heavily damaged physically until they soak in enough sun to regenerate.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Behaving reactively in a hostile situation is not apathy. We have no reason to believe that "catching" the tanker would have resulted in less carnage, because his opponent could have just proceeded to doing something even worse, catching Clark off-guard, using his instincts against him, whatever.

The scene as it actually plays out is motivated to elaborate how out of his depth Clark is, and how the consequences of this have nothing to do with his callousness or failure to protect people, but with the extreme prejudice of his opponent, and the limitations of ironically 'ordinary people' compelled to do extraordinary things. Snyder is neither trying to elaborate a reactionary power fantasy, but merely doesn't get 'tone,' nor is he constructing a low-hurdle 'satire' of de-mystifying Superman.

You are misinterpreting the scene because you are judging it based on visceral reaction to superficial content, rather than undertaking even a basic appreciation of context. Clark did not catch the tanker, not because he "didn't care" for a second, but because the point of the scene is that the events of the film have escalated rapidly and violently beyond Clark's control.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I think it's really too bad that BvS obviously meant to create this kind of debate, that will likely rage on for years, but the movie is mostly considered a failure.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Behaving reactively in a hostile situation is not apathy. We have no reason to believe that "catching" the tanker would have resulted in less carnage, because his opponent could have just proceeded to doing something even worse, catching Clark off-guard, using his instincts against him, whatever.

The scene as it actually plays out is motivated to elaborate how out of his depth Clark is, and how the consequences of this have nothing to do with his callousness or failure to protect people, but with the extreme prejudice of his opponent, and the limitations of ironically 'ordinary people' compelled to do extraordinary things. Snyder is neither trying to elaborate a reactionary power fantasy, but merely doesn't get 'tone,' nor is he constructing a low-hurdle 'satire' of de-mystifying Superman.

You are misinterpreting the scene because you are judging it based on visceral reaction to superficial content, rather than undertaking even a basic appreciation of context. Clark did not catch the tanker, not because he "didn't care" for a second, but because the point of the scene is that the events of the film have escalated rapidly and violently beyond Clark's control.

I mean like I said before, what you're articulating here reads to me as the kind of apologia for violent men that make tough choices for the greater good that I find kinda gross so I prefer my Superman as Ugly American reading.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Reminder: Huge nerd Snyder has a spreadsheet of what physical trauma feels like to a Kryptonian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOJj2zw2goM&t=416s

On one of the BvS extras they say that Batman's automated turrets shooting Superman felt like him getting hit by baseballs thrown at 60mph. Ouch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVr8vnq9-vo&t=96s

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Reminder: Huge nerd Snyder has a spreadsheet of what physical trauma feels like to a Kryptonian.

lol that's amazing

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

axelord posted:

Again all I'm saying is thinking Superman doesn't care about collateral damage is something you can take away from the movie.

You can take anything away from any movie, if you are sufficiently inattentive, inept, or dishonest.

Like this:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean like I said before, what you're articulating here reads to me as the kind of apologia for violent men that make tough choices for the greater good that I find kinda gross so I prefer my Superman as Ugly American reading.

which is openly picking a reading of the film based on which conclusion is aesthetically prefered instead of what's in the movie itself.

That said, that reading is also wrong. Superman isn't Jack Bauer, committing evil for the sake of some larger good. That would be only be the case if the collateral damage was something that Superman himself caused, some tradeoff he accepted, instead of something he was merely unable to prevent.

And of course, what's being argued for, the fantasy of the perfectly surgical airstrike, is at least as ugly. As much as we all love Age of Ultron, not every movie needs the joke where Tony Stark buys a building while Hulk is in the middle of smashing him through it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if superman is america then who are the kryptonians?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

axelord posted:

That's what is being argued in this thread.

No, you are getting confused.

What is being argued in the thread is that it's impossible for the truck to be undamaged.

Superman comics have always, up to this point, relied on a cartoon logic where Superman can lift a plane wing and not have it snap in half. This is not true in the film.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What is being argued in the thread is that it's impossible for the truck to be undamaged.

Superman comics have always, up to this point, relied on a cartoon logic where Superman can lift a plane wing and not have it snap in half. This is not true in the film.

It's not even that. It's that in the middle of a life-or-death struggle, where the consequences of miscalculation would be instant death and the annihilation of the entire world, Superman's split-second decision not to attempt a risky stop of a careening fuel truck means he doesn't care about collateral damage.

Theme of the movie: Superman is a new superhero. He is inconsistent at Supermanning, but has a good heart.

Hot take: The movie is a lie. Superman is actually quite good at Supermanning, and pretends to be bad because he has evil in his heart.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

teagone posted:

As per BvS, an ICBM will render a Kryptonian unconscious and heavily damaged physically until they soak in enough sun to regenerate.

One of the best scenes ever in a comic book film and it's what like 20 seconds total?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's not even that. It's that in the middle of a life-or-death struggle, where the consequences of miscalculation would be instant death and the annihilation of the entire world, Superman's split-second decision not to attempt a risky stop of a careening fuel truck means he doesn't care about collateral damage.

Same situation; the plane wing is a metaphor.

The point is that Superman is being blamed for problems with reality itself: "How come airplanes are fragile?", "How come I have to poop after I eat?", etc.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That was a good touch in Superman Returns, as he struggles to hold the plane together as much as catch it.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

That was a good touch in Superman Returns, as he struggles to hold the plane together as much as catch it.

I remember comparing that to Reeves' Superman holding a helicopter by a strut with no structural deformation. That looked weird to me even before I got into engineering.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dublish posted:

I remember comparing that to Reeves' Superman holding a helicopter by a strut with no structural deformation. That looked weird to me even before I got into engineering.

The comics (of course) explain this stuff with a technobabble about forcefields, at least post 80s reboot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

The comics (of course) explain this stuff with a technobabble about forcefields, at least post 80s reboot.

It's passive TK or some such nonsense.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/AKLFWIp.gifv

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

~tactile telekinesis~

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah and it's a Byrne idea, right? He projects a telekinetic forcefield around things he touches, so planes don't fragment when he stops them, everyone inside doesn't die from the g forces of instant deceleration, when he flies carrying a kitten it doesn't burst into flames, or whatever

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tactile Telekinesis, The Speed Force, and 20 Other Unnecessary Elaborations To Pretend Absurd Power Fantasies Are Grounded In A Realistic World

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah and it's a Byrne idea, right? He projects a telekinetic forcefield around things he touches, so planes don't fragment when he stops them, everyone inside doesn't die from the g forces of instant deceleration, when he flies carrying a kitten it doesn't burst into flames, or whatever

Yeah it's one of Byrne's deals. He had as many misteps as he had good ideas. He's also the guy that made Superman be sent across the universe in a Krypton Birthing Chamber as a fetus, so that when the rocket arrived on Earth his gestation was finished. He was actually born on Earth so he was a ~real American~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
John Byrne was an rear end in a top hat, quite frankly.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I hope you don't think I support his lovely nativist Superman origin.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That's the universal opinion I thought

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The more I think about Byrne, the more I feel like he was a really solid artist in the right place in the right time and had no good ideas.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Anyone wanna talk about how bad "Justice League: Dark" was?

JLD is TERRIBLE. It's an hour of poo poo.

I've got no idea of where they were going with it, or what exactly it was doing.

Like someone just said, "Hey, let's spend an hour name dropping and I don't really want to write a story so I don't know, put Constantine in there, too. Oh, and have Deadman fall in love with a house." The only neat part sort of was Batman fighting the poison poo poo demon at the hospital. It was only neat in theory, not in practice, though.

I'd rather watch an hour of Press Secretary Spicer try to pretend the Women's March didn't exist, and weasel out of admitting a team of Navy SEALs killed an 8-year old girl than watch more poo poo like this.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 2, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The more I think about Byrne, the more I feel like he was a really solid artist in the right place in the right time and had no good ideas.

Byrne has a good story where Superman kills Zod, Ursula, and one other Kryptonian (whose name I am forgetting) after they murder an entire alternate Earth and he can't ensure they won't escape to some other dimension and repeat it.

I like that story, it was the earliest Superman story I read where I was like "Huh, this guy really gets himself into some poo poo" and it wasn't some boring power fantasy or folk hero wish fulfillment. Superman made a moral speech and cried. Then he killed them while they pleaded and died. Nasty business. I liked it. Still do.

Also Byrne's Lex Luthor was the corporate CEO piece of poo poo, which was good.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 2, 2017

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Brother Entropy posted:

Tactile Telekinesis, The Speed Force, and 20 Other Unnecessary Elaborations To Pretend Absurd Power Fantasies Are Grounded In A Realistic World

I can't wait for Flash for this exact reason. Trying to explain the speed force in a convincing, non-ridiculous way is like a high teenager talking to a cop.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

This is amazing.

• Locked thread