Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Macaluso posted:

Everyone I know, including my best friend, keeps saying how good the new Beauty and the Beast looks and like I have to believe this is all some big elaborate troll on me as a person at this point.

"Animation thread wrong about nearly everything, survey shows"

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

Everyone I know, including my best friend, keeps saying how good the new Beauty and the Beast looks and like I have to believe this is all some big elaborate troll on me as a person at this point. This is why donald trump won I think

As far as I can tell normal people (AKA people who aren't huge gross animation nerds like me) are very excited for this movie and think it looks great.

I don't understand it, but it's true.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Emma Watson is still really popular, the CGI looks just fine to most people who aren't animation nerds and the original animated Disney film is still so massively popular that people are more than willing to go see an 'updated' version. Also people loved the live action/CGI Jungle Book in 2016 so they've got high expectations for the next Disney live action/CGI adaptation.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Gaston is just such a snappy dresser...that is pretty much the only reason I am paying attention to Beauty and the Beast

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

As far as I can tell normal people (AKA people who aren't huge gross animation nerds like me) are very excited for this movie and think it looks great.

I don't understand it, but it's true.

:hfive: huge gross animation nerd buddy :3:

I mean I'm still gonna go see it and buy any/all Beast merch

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Talking of which...

Buy thing. Throw out other thing.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Has anyone read most or all of the recent Samurai Jack comic?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

:hfive: huge gross animation nerd buddy :3:

I mean I'm still gonna go see it and buy any/all Beast merch

.....yeah I'm gonna see it too...and if they ever make a live action Little Mermaid I'm seeing that also, on day one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There's no way a live action Little Mermaid would come out anything but completely bizarre, to the point where it would be too interesting to pass up even if it sucked. I don't think I can say the same for Beauty and the Beast.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's no way a live action Little Mermaid would come out anything but completely bizarre, to the point where it would be too interesting to pass up even if it sucked.

In case you were unaware, a live action Little Mermaid has already been confirmed. Lin-Manuel Miranda is doing additional songs for it.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I think this new trailer helped me figure out why I have felt so apathetic towards the new BatB. It feels really, really humorless. Like I don't want a trailer filled with annoying punch up, but the whole vibe they're sending out is just too dramatic. The new trailer has I believe two "jokes", but they both fall completely flat in the edit because they're just enveloped by sappy, romantic music. I'd say they should have built a trailer around "Be Our Guest" but maybe there's a reason they're being slow on the song reveals, especially after Ewan's unfortunately terrible accent.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Unmature posted:

Has anyone read most or all of the recent Samurai Jack comic?

The IDW ones? They're excellent. Fun, funny, great looking, and play with the format almost as well as the TV show did. I recommend it to pretty much everyone in this thread.

Edit: Exhibit A

B

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 2, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm sorry but whimsy is dead. No whimsy.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
No Guts, No Glory, No Whimsy, No Dicks, No Jollies, No Idea Where I'm Taking This

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U496dSv2k_g

I really think the original movie looks better. It just has so much more soul

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

No Idea Where I'm Taking This

maybe not, but there's No backing out of this now

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Drifter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U496dSv2k_g

I really think the original movie looks better. It just has so much more soul

God. GOD. How can anyone watch this comparison and see the loving WEAKASS Beast and Gaston they have compared to the original and still be EXCITED FOR IT. Look at that poo poo!!!! Look at that lovely Gaston with his tiny stick body and 1980s werewolf costume Beast. gently caress.

And man that scene after the Beast saves Belle and they have this like old-married-couples bickering back and forth in the original is SO GOOD and I bet the new movie isn't going to have a scene even HALF as good in place of it. I'm so mad about this movie I have no intention of seeing anyway gently caress

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bet he doesn't even say, Do----Do you want to stay in the tower?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

IS THERE EVEN GONNA BE A FOOTREST DOG I MEAN gently caress

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

IS THERE EVEN GONNA BE A FOOTREST DOG I MEAN gently caress

I guess there weren't laws to protect dogs in 17th century france, but please don't refer to Sultan as a footrest gently caress

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Macaluso posted:

God. GOD. How can anyone watch this comparison and see the loving WEAKASS Beast and Gaston they have compared to the original and still be EXCITED FOR IT. Look at that poo poo!!!! Look at that lovely Gaston with his tiny stick body and 1980s werewolf costume Beast. gently caress.

And man that scene after the Beast saves Belle and they have this like old-married-couples bickering back and forth in the original is SO GOOD and I bet the new movie isn't going to have a scene even HALF as good in place of it. I'm so mad about this movie I have no intention of seeing anyway gently caress

The worst is the teapot stuff. THey look dead inside in the new one - like you'd find them in COnjuring 2 haunting people or something.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like how they made everything super dark so you can't loving see.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
um, so being naive I thought the new BotB might have been a retelling of the story or something but it looks like a purely "I KNOW WHAT THAT IS! YOU KEEP HITTING HOME RUNS DISNEY!" movie. An almost shot for shot remake basically, pathetic.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Interestingly OR NOT it's apparently 40 minutes longer than the animated one.

There's said to be 1 or 2 new songs but I'm not sure what else needs to be added to the running time

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

There's said to be 1 or 2 new songs but I'm not sure what else needs to be added to the running time

The most topical composer whether he's appropriate to the project or not, aaaaand "Human Again".

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Human Again is a great song so it had better be in :3:

Edit: vvvv :smith:

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hedrigall posted:

If they include Human Again, I'm out

Unmature
May 9, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

The IDW ones? They're excellent. Fun, funny, great looking, and play with the format almost as well as the TV show did. I recommend it to pretty much everyone in this thread.

Edit: Exhibit A

B

Is there any kind of overarching plot? Or is it just episodic like most of the TV show? Does it progress the lore of the first four seasons?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hedrigall both enjoys Human Again and is already out, coincidence??

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I also like When We're Human

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ok I'm rewatching the Human Again part and it's not actually bad, I think I'm getting confused with my feelings for Morning Report. I like the part where Beast is a dumb idiot who can't read.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only way I see live action Beauty and the Beast working is if it correctly identifies the witch who turned a kid into a beast man and all his house workers into objects as the true villain and burns her at the stake.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Build-a-Boar posted:

Ok I'm rewatching the Human Again part and it's not actually bad, I think I'm getting confused with my feelings for Morning Report. I like the part where Beast is a dumb idiot who can't read.

I don't think it's bad per se, but I like the original film and it's perfect and don't change anything ever!!!!!!!!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Build-a-Boar posted:

I also really like Morning Report :shrug: but, like the Beast, I am also a dumb idiot

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

The only way I see live action Beauty and the Beast working is if it correctly identifies the witch who turned a kid into a beast man and all his house workers into objects as the true villain and burns her at the stake.

In Jungle Book reboot style, they'll make the world stupidly tiny by implying or stating it was Belle's mom.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well Human Again has sent me down the Disney song black hole again and I just want to say that Hercules is a rad movie with rad songs and it's all around great and the muses in particular are the tits. I love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl0DMTlwLw4

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Build-a-Boar posted:

Well Human Again has sent me down the Disney song black hole again and I just want to say that Hercules is a rad movie with rad songs and it's all around great and the muses in particular are the tits. I love this song.

This song is relatable as gently caress.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

yeah like I said before with Zootopia--animation really lends itself to certain types of stories and I really think that applies to a lot of the Disney catalog. This fad of live action remakes misses the point of why the originals were animated in the first place--the best of those movies leveraged the medium of animation to its greatest advantages. You take it to live action and realistic CG and it loses all its charm because the performances have to walk such a narrow line and the editing and animation process that pared characters and environments down into pleasing lines, shapes, and movement is all but lost.

It's not like all the fully animated movies that come out these days couldn't be done photo-realistically if people thought it was appealing and a good idea. This is pretty much the inverse of those years when Robert Zemeckis was insistent upon making creepy corpse mo-cap movies that perhaps first-and-foremost begged the question; "why the gently caress aren't you just doing this live action!? There is no reason for this to be 'animated' in any way. Why??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

I also really like Morning Report :shrug: but, like the Beast, I am also a dumb idiot

Morning Report is one of the worst things I have ever seen in my entire life on this planet. I hate that song to death

Build-a-Boar posted:

This song on the other hand is DOPE