Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Genocyber posted:

Are you going to make a new thread for the release of the game, Zaphod? This hasn't been a cesspit like Souls pre-release threads tend to be but there's been enough discussion that it would probably make sense.

I don't see why? If you want me to change the OP suggest anything and I'll do so, otherwise we're only 40 pages in who cares?

Helps that this is PS4 only. I don't think we need new threads.

Genocyber posted:

Leak spoilers: the starting area for the game

Also you get to choose your starting weapon from the 5 classes which is rad. Kusarigama playthrough baby!

Oh boy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

lets hang out posted:

Twilight missions rotate daily, one low level and one high level.

Wow that's dumb, I was hoping for a ng+ thing for twilight missions or at the very least the twilight version opens up after you beat the normal mission

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think I'm gonna preorder this now. The demo already convinced me and I want to support the team.

Just gotta convince my friend to buy it too so we can yokai realm the entire game together.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Whats a Twilight Mission?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Whats a Twilight Mission?

Not sure how it'll work in the full game, but in the demo, when you finish one of the missions, you get access to a "twilight" version of it. Everything's darker, under a reddish sky, and all of the enemies and items are different (and harder/higher level). I don't know if you always get "twilight" versions of missions in the full game or if there's something special you do to unlock them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It sounds like a more controlled way to have an in-story equivalent of insight in Bloodborne or the world tendency in Demon's Souls. I'm okay with every single one not being accessible at all times.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

Not sure how it'll work in the full game, but in the demo, when you finish one of the missions, you get access to a "twilight" version of it. Everything's darker, under a reddish sky, and all of the enemies and items are different (and harder/higher level). I don't know if you always get "twilight" versions of missions in the full game or if there's something special you do to unlock them.

Huh, that's cool, if they DO rotate, and you want an item from somewhere. You might have to wait until Tuesday for zone x to twilight to get that item. Could be real annoying or cool.

Like a twist on bonfire ascetic, or the end result of brainstorming from there.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

I don't know if you always get "twilight" versions of missions in the full game or if there's something special you do to unlock them.

lets hang out posted:

Twilight missions rotate daily, one low level and one high level.

I occasionally play freemium phone games that pull this weird daily dungeon poo poo so that's why I'm annoyed

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 1, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I missed that.

I think I figured they'd be a rotating thing, given how it was presented in the demo.

Bombadilillo posted:

Huh, that's cool, if they DO rotate, and you want an item from somewhere. You might have to wait until Tuesday for zone x to twilight to get that item. Could be real annoying or cool.

I don't know if they necessarily have specific items in them, just that the items you pick up are different from the normal versions of the missions (and higher level) and the enemies drop way better loot.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
They had specific items (beta/last chance) and rotated in the Beta.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I thought it was just you beat a mission and you get the twilight mission and that the "rotation" stuff was because we were only limited to a few missions, guess I was wrong

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Rotating levels kinda sucks. I don't have time to play every day, just let me pick what level I want please

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Can someone explain how loot works? Are the set spots a good katana will be. Or is it full, random drops, new katana is 111-120 better swap to that.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Full random drops with a unique here and there like diablo, at least during the tests

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There are unique items in the environment though I didn't pay enough attention to the skills to see if those were fixed or random.

Like there are set spots in the environment to grab stuff.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I bet the rotating Twilight Missions are to force you to farm different spots then. I wonder how the game will drop loot. It can suck in games to have a build but keep getting sweet weapons for another. Look at this amazing axe that dropped on my dual katana build!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You also get fixed rewards for the mission itself when you complete it, now that I think about it.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
All the drops that come from chests/pre-placed corpses/quest rewards are set drops. They can have random stats but if they scripted this body to to drop a purple spear it will always drop a purple spear every time you open it. It just will be a different purple spear every time. Drops from enemies are completely random.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Belzac posted:

All the drops that come from chests/pre-placed corpses/quest rewards are set drops. They can have random stats but if they scripted this body to to drop a purple spear it will always drop a purple spear every time you open it. It just will be a different purple spear every time. Drops from enemies are completely random.

In the demo there was a time I got a new gesture from a chest instead of a weapon, but I couldn't tell what triggered this or if it's just a very rare thing after you've opened a chest once.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Neo Rasa posted:

In the demo there was a time I got a new gesture from a chest instead of a weapon, but I couldn't tell what triggered this or if it's just a very rare thing after you've opened a chest once.

It was a tanuki.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo, is that true? That owns, if so. I'll probably do my first playthrough totally solo but I'd love to do a co-op playthrough with a friend, too.

There's 2 coop modes. One is the standard Dark Souls mode, where you go to a bonfire-equivalent, offer a coop consumable (which only gets consumed when you actually summon, not on trying) to summon another player. That player does not get full loot interaction (he can't pop dev placed loot containers, but something for him will spawn when the host does). If the summoned player dies he's gone. Summoned players get rewarded based on how much they helped with bonuses for boss kills and stuff. Oh and summons can't hit shrines and the host can only hit a shrine once when he activates it for the first time. So far, so Dark Souls.

Mode 2 means you set up a party from outside the mission, then you play through that mission with your coop buddy. You both get full loot interactions, progress counts for both you, when somebody gets killed the other person can help them up which consumes shared "lives", they can use shrines more than in the other mode. Basically a full coop mode where both players count as players not a host and a summon.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm not so sure that's true. When I played the random co-op, it had the revive mechanic. Did they change it in the most recent demo?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can you use shrines to do shriney things like levelup during either mode?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
For the "Yokai Realm with a Companion" the only thing shrines do is refill the assist gauge (shared lives between players)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

In summon co-op hosts can use shrines and the shrine menu normally, it'll pull the summoned player to them and respawn enemies as usual.

We should decide on a password like we did for bloodborne, but maybe a better one than lasertag or whatever. I know passwords work for picking a stage and hitting "I want to be summoned here", I wonder if they work for random encounters in any stage.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 1, 2017

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Watching Lobos Jr's playthrough of the last demo and noticed that you get a little graphical indicator around the stance wheel to show when a weapon buff will run out. It's always bugged me in Souls games that you just have to guess how long you really have. Hoping the game will be filled with other nice quality-of-life refinements like this. It's about 3:37:00 into his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rizQUChpyHU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

For the "Yokai Realm with a Companion" the only thing shrines do is refill the assist gauge (shared lives between players)

Does it also respawn enemies when you do that?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

tap my mountain posted:

I'm not so sure that's true. When I played the random co-op, it had the revive mechanic. Did they change it in the most recent demo?

Well I'm 95% sure I both died at the boss with a summon (dead, reset to shrine, guardian spirit dropped) and had a summon die at the boss (summoned player was gone, no revive prompt). I also didn't see any assist gauge.

There's a matchmaker for proper coop, so you can do it with random people, but it's got different mechanics than in-level summoning.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Harrow posted:

No

Here's a video of guy talking through both co-op modes https://youtu.be/20QH1TfBvic

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Watching Lobos Jr's playthrough of the last demo and noticed that you get a little graphical indicator around the stance wheel to show when a weapon buff will run out. It's always bugged me in Souls games that you just have to guess how long you really have. Hoping the game will be filled with other nice quality-of-life refinements like this. It's about 3:37:00 into his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rizQUChpyHU

It also shows the buildup meters for status and elemental effects, for both you and your enemies. Nioh is as transparent as Dark Souls is obtuse, which is pretty nice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Neo Rasa posted:

It sounds like a more controlled way to have an in-story equivalent of insight in Bloodborne or the world tendency in Demon's Souls. I'm okay with every single one not being accessible at all times.

Also having one or two of them up each day that rotate, that are the same for everybody, encourages people to work together to clear those and focuses the co-op efforts, which otherwise would splinter across all the missions. Since those are harder, it makes sense you need more help for those, where the normal levels are easier to solo. Seems sensible to me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

I bet the rotating Twilight Missions are to force you to farm different spots then. I wonder how the game will drop loot. It can suck in games to have a build but keep getting sweet weapons for another. Look at this amazing axe that dropped on my dual katana build!

Read the OP dude, those things aren't even concerns in this game. If you have a build you like and you keep getting sweet weapons for another, you can infuse the sweet weapons into your build weapon to have a sweet build weapon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Digirat posted:

Can you use shrines to do shriney things like levelup during either mode?

gently caress, guys, please just read the OP. We keep answering the same "wait there's more than 1 multiplayer mode" question over and over and over.

You can level up during dark souls mode at shrines.

You cannot level up during ninja gaiden mode. You can only level up between levels in that mode. You have to beat an entire level in one go. If you fail, you only get 25% of the souls, and you do not leave a bloodstain.

Harrow posted:

No.

:cry: please read the OP somebody

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
What is a Ni-oh?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Read the OP dude, those things aren't even concerns in this game. If you have a build you like and you keep getting sweet weapons for another, you can infuse the sweet weapons into your build weapon to have a sweet build weapon.

You op doesnt actually explain poo poo well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Ninja Gaiden Style co-op - Play through an entire level as a single mission, in a co-op party. Can choose to summon friends, or use a password, or summon random players. You have a new meter which represents the party's overall health. If a player dies, the party meter drains slowly. Any player can instantly resurrect a dead teammate by visiting his bloodstain / guardian spirit. If the meter is fully drained, or all players die, then you fail the mission. Failing the mission means you only get 25% of the experience earned. You can freely try again over and over, and no items are required. All players participating receive full rewards for success of the mission. Visiting bonfires/shrines while in this mode does not allow you to stop or level up, and do not respawn enemies or refill your health. However, they do fill up the party meter some, and also give you a random bonus. You have to complete the entire mission in one go, unlike playing Dark Souls style where you can move from bonfire to bonfire one at a time. But the entire party stays together and can resurrect each other, so you don't have to abandon your dead friends.

Zaphod42 posted:

You can re-roll the stats on a piece of gear for a fee.
You can fuse one piece of gear into another, such that the first gains the power level of the second while keeping its own abilities.
You can also alter the appearance of equipment to look like other equipment while maintaining their stats. Samurai armor can be changed to look like Ninja armor, or vise versa. No restrictions. Only costs a small amount of gold.

How should I explain it?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 1, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So there are a ton of spoilers around now so careful where you browse if you care about that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Good news slackers

(from https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/nioh/itemdrop.html)

Also, if you weren't able to download the Mark of the Conqueror DLC before, try typing "MARK O" into search on the store. You should find it and be able to download it now. At least it worked for me, here on my US account. Dunno if it works for people who didn't actually earn it.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 2, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

Rotating levels kinda sucks. I don't have time to play every day, just let me pick what level I want please

Yup, this is an MMO tier mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

lets hang out posted:

Also, if you weren't able to download the Mark of the Conqueror DLC before, try typing "MARK O" into search on the store. You should find it and be able to download it now. At least it worked for me, here on my US account. Dunno if it works for people who didn't actually earn it.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/nioh-mark-of-the-conqueror-dlc/cid=UP4108-CUSA03978_00-NIOHTRIALGYOSON1