Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
The spice must flow.

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/826641857400565760

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I feel like Dune is one of those projects where I'll believe it when it's finished and out. They'll probably churn through 5 directors before it actually shoots.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Villeneuve have been talking about doing this for a while. I think it's only being greenlit because of him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I love this choice because it's a fantastic selection but would also find it amusing if between it and Blade Runner: 2049 he gets typecast as "guy who directs sci-fi movies with a big face in the sand."

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hey John Depp, give me .0005% of your money. I'll do something really cool with it. Trust me.

$2000?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FishBulb posted:

I feel like Dune is one of those projects where I'll believe it when it's finished and out. They'll probably churn through 5 directors before it actually shoots.

They've no doubt gone through several page-one script rewrites over several years (if not decades) and possibly enlisted and then lost several directors before they even got to the point where they felt confident enough to publicly announce the project.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They've no doubt gone through several page-one script rewrites over several years (if not decades) and possibly enlisted and then lost several directors before they even got to the point where they felt confident enough to publicly announce the project.

I know and I'm confident they will continue to do that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll take it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This has created a very real explosion in my brain. Villeneuve tends to cast a friend of mine in his movies and the idea that he might be in a Dune movie after how much we geeked out about Dune as kids...gently caress man. Mind blown.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hey John Depp, give me .0005% of your money. I'll do something really cool with it. Trust me.
I'm John Depp, and you're watching Celebrity Zillions.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coaaab posted:

I'm John Depp, and you're watching Celebrity Zillions.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't like the fact that his Twitter handle is "@DuneAuthor"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
@dunenecrophile more like it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

They should call him Denis the menace

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

They should call him Denis the menace

Denis the Menis

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Denis le Menis

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

oh what th-

:fuckoff:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn are going to make Heroic Police Brutality: The Movie

quote:

The script centers on two policemen, one an old-timer (Gibson), the other his volatile younger partner (Vaughn), who find themselves suspended when a video of their strong-arm tactics become the media's cause du jour. Low on cash and with no other options, these two embittered soldiers descend into the criminal underworld to gain their just due, but instead find far more than they wanted awaiting them in the shadows.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mel-gibson-vince-vaughn-reteam-thriller-dragged-concrete-970989

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm happy we live in a world where policeman and soldier are interchangeable.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn are going to make Heroic Police Brutality: The Movie

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mel-gibson-vince-vaughn-reteam-thriller-dragged-concrete-970989

Mel Gibson hates having a career I guess.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

This won't be nearly as crazy or awesome as Alejandro Jodorowsky's vision for Dune. :smith:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I will watch whatever Dune movie they put out. It's a bizarre enough story that you'd have to be eating stupid pills full time to make it not be at least an interesting failure.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DarkSol posted:

This won't be nearly as crazy or awesome as Alejandro Jodorowsky's vision for Dune. :smith:

Thank God. Between that and the mini-series the only thing I'm certain of is keep any French influence far away from Dune.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DarkSol posted:

To be fair you could say the same thing about the actual hypothetical Jodorowsky Dune movie if it were actually made. Super crazy and extravagant conceptual work almost never survives unscathed once it's gone through the realities of production.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tars Tarkas posted:

Is... is this supposed to be a comedy? Because it can go either way
And I don't think you could describe any of Vince Vaughn's characters as "young" any more

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Is... is this supposed to be a comedy? Because it can go either way

Sounds like it wants to be Bad Lieutenant 2 without fully committing to the idea that no, these cops are actually bad and not "just doing bad for the greater good."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Guy Mann posted:

To be fair you could say the same thing about the actual hypothetical Jodorowsky Dune movie if it were actually made. Super crazy and extravagant conceptual work almost never survives unscathed once it's gone through the realities of production.

If anyone could have pulled it off it would have been Jodorowsky

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wtf is this, no thanks. #notmybaron

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

kiimo posted:

would play the snes-era jrpg these designs are from

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brother Entropy posted:

Hell yes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

kiimo posted:

That first one is the opera singer stalker from Running Man.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jodorowsky made insane elaborate stuff like the Holy Mountain and El Topo on small budgets. Imagine what he could've done with a big budget sci-fi film.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

kiimo posted:

You wouldn't have wanted Orson Welles to play the Baron???

As an aside, you should really check out Jodorowsky and Moebius's "The Incal". Supposedly it uses a lot of concepts and ideas from Jodorowsky's Dune fever dream.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

Jodorowsky made insane elaborate stuff like the Holy Mountain and El Topo on small budgets. Imagine what he could've done with a big budget sci-fi film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srHNomLeX6E

DarkSol posted:

You wouldn't have wanted Orson Welles to play the Baron???

As an aside, you should really check out Jodorowsky and Moebius's "The Incal". Supposedly it uses a lot of concepts and ideas from Jodorowsky's Dune fever dream.

It does, as does the spinoff "The Metabarons".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brother Entropy posted:

And you would only find out decades later from unearthed dev art that the Baron's outfit was supposed to be multi-coloured and made of scales and not just "yellow".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Phanatic posted:

That first one is the opera singer stalker from Running Man.

lmao

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Guy Mann posted:

Did you see Flash Gordon? Quite a few of the costumes that where originally designed/made for Jodorowsky's Dune movie actually appear throughout it and Ming's palace being completely golden is from it also.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FreudianSlippers posted:

From the documentary it seemed a lot of the money would have went to crap and paying for Orson Welles' chef.

I love El Topo, but the fact is that some directors NEED the restraints to make real art. Having unlimited resources isn't always good.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

Further down the Twitter feed he explains that he mentions the Dune "series" not because it's a series of movies, but because they might use any of the 19 books in the series for the script. "They might pick one of mine!" Okay Brian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Clearly they are going to pick God-Emperor of Dune for its mass appeal.

• Locked thread