Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

VideoGames posted:

Fallout3 is one of my favourites!!!!! INCOMING PROBATION!!!

Seriously though, I love the radio more in Fallout3, I like the greenish tinge more than New Vegas' orange tinge, plus it was my first Fallout game so it has a truly special place in my heart. If people don't like it, that is absolutely fine. I am an outlier.

Some mods I have to use when I play it are:

GNR More Where That Came From - expands the galaxy news radio station considerably.
MMM - Marts Mutant Mod which adds tons and tons of variety to all the different wasteland monsters.
AWOP - A World of Pain - adds TONS of extra areas to the game, including an underground series of places almost as big as the Capital Wasteland.
EVE - Energy Weapons redone, makes them look and sound far cooler.
Level Uncap - because of how much extra stuff I add.

I'm sure there's more but I'd have to be at home to look at my mod list.

Good man!

Makes we want to do a reinstall with those. Last time I did, AWOP didn't even exist so that'll be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I''ve considered trying out Tale of Two Wastelands, which lets you play Fallout 3 in the New Vegas engine, but I feel like I would level up too fast and burn out on the game before I finished everything in 3 and NV

I played TTW back when it first was announced, very early on, and it was a fantastic experience, and melded the two wastelands together very well, once you're willing to accept the conceit that there's a functional transportation system between the Capital Wasteland and the Mojave. It was stable, a ton of fun, and seemed well balanced. I can't remember what other mods I bolted onto it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm considering at some point going back, this time learning to bolt and tweak mods together.

Do take breaks playing it with other games, or you will burn out. My only issue when I tried it was for some reason the Super Mutants in the Capital Wasteland were god awful bullet sponges not just the high tier ones.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm considering at some point going back, this time learning to bolt and tweak mods together.

Do take breaks playing it with other games, or you will burn out. My only issue when I tried it was for some reason the Super Mutants in the Capital Wasteland were god awful bullet sponges not just the high tier ones.

That's what happens when DC mutants get west coast mutants' high DT.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's what happens when DC mutants get west coast mutants' high DT.

There was a toggle mod to fix it but didn't seem to work for me sadly. I'm hoping now they've fixed this by just seperating them instead of having them share the same stats and loot gear?

Also, speaking of Fallout Mods!

Wasteland Cannibals FX is a effects mod for those players who like to eat the bodies of their fallen enemies in more grisly detail.

Silent Marksman outfit is a very nice looking suit and duster combination for male hitman or criminal kind of characters.

Boone companion for those New Vegas veterans out there!

The XM-77 Gauss rifle is an experimental more compact assault rifle looking gauss weapon. Far Harbor DLC required.

Drunken GnomesThe Gnomepocolypse is another unique item treasure hunt mod for those who want to find something eye catching to decorate their settlements/homes with.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
drat it the gnomes from New Vegas Interiors were annoying enough.
I prefer my collectibles to be of the shooting, exploding, punching variety.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Node posted:

So this thread has a very nice OP with links to lots of good plugins/mods for Fallout 4. What about... Fallout 3? I shitposted all over the game in the thread when it was new, and even got probated for it, but now I'd like to actually play it! Looking at Nexus, its pretty obvious what is necessary when looking at most endorsed, but I'm wondering what else people recommend. Right now I have ArchiveInvalidated Invalidated, Felout, Unofficial Patch, Texture Pack, Wanderers Edition, and young_gay_hentai_dad_mutant_reskin.esp.

I've done this last week! In my defense, I was really drunk, but it still worked.

Basically, what you want is Tale of Two Wastelands, which turns Fallout 3 into a freaking huge Fallout New Vegas mod.

Pro: You then can play using the newer/arguably better FNV engine, and completely sperg out and take the same character from stumbling out of the vault in DC to finishing New Vegas as a tiny godling.

Con: the New Vegas engine crashes roughly every 15 seconds. It will crash a LOT. Get used to hitting quicksave after a combat and before transitioning into a new level (which is where most of the crashes happen).

There's so much content in Fallout 3 already you really don't need to mod any of it, and I found when I tried that it made the game crash even hysterically more. Oh, also, supermutants are tough in Fallout New Vegas, and you have to fight a LOT of them in Fallout 3, so you really probably don't want to do any "hardcore" type mods. But I did get all the way to the end of the main plot (haven't started the post-plot DLC yet) so it is technically possible!

https://taleoftwowastelands.com/content/alpha-download-v294b

Lurdiak posted:

How does that mod handle perks? New Vegas' difficulty curve is pretty clearly designed around only giving you so many of them, while Fallout 3 (and 4) just hand them out every single time you level up.

It uses New Vegas perks, awards them every other level and gates them based on skill and level as per New Vegas, and includes a mod that slows down the XP curve so theoretically you end a combined run at level 50. Personally I just turned that off and installed a level 99 mod and a few More Perks mods because I play video games to be allpowerful and smite the deserving.

SeanBeansShako posted:

There was a toggle mod to fix it but didn't seem to work for me sadly. I'm hoping now they've fixed this by just seperating them instead of having them share the same stats and loot gear?

Nope! My fix was to learn how to do headshots with hunting rifles.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 1, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oddly enough, It was quite stable for me except a CTD when your transitioned between game zones.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I can't even remember the last time I got a crash while using Tale of Two Wastelands. You'll definitely want to head over to the New Vegas modding thread and get the stability mods in the OP but if you've got those and still get crashes then you've got problems elsewhere.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Yeah, Fallout 3 was always crash happy as poo poo for me, even without mods. Even a heavily modded New Vegas playthrough was a more stable experience. TTW didn't seem any more problematic in that regard than any other modded NV setup.

I wouldn't even consider playing FO3 again unless it was a TTW install.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

So Bethesda is releasing an HD texture mod that weighs in just under 60gb and requires a 1080 8gb or equivalent AMD card. The screenshot they released looks amazing.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
It's for 4k monitors. don't bother unless you have one really.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
gently caress me how many people are gonna be able to run that. Is there any chance of modders being able to tone it down a little for us poors without $$$ video cards?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

boneration posted:

gently caress me how many people are gonna be able to run that. Is there any chance of modders being able to tone it down a little for us poors without $$$ video cards?

Almost assuredly.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
If it's anything like the game's base textures, they're probably uncompressed and people will be able to get the size down by a third without losing fidelity. Many times by half.

But seriously, unless you have like, a 40"+ monitor and a beastly GPU I wouldn't bother.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 2, 2017

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There'll be a compressed version on the Nexus within a month of release, and probably more like a week or two if that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wouldn't put it past most people being able to use them, and the requirements being what they are to account for poor engine optimization.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wouldn't put it past most people being able to use them, and the requirements being what they are to account for poor engine optimization.

Given that my lovely DDR2, 6gig ram and ATI HD6450 was able to run it on medium with a little tweaking, I'd say the engine is optimized just fine.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Kokoro Wish posted:

It's for 4k monitors. don't bother unless you have one really.

I play on a 40" 4k monitor so I'm all set!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

SeanBeansShako posted:

The XM-77 Gauss rifle is an experimental more compact assault rifle looking gauss weapon. Far Harbor DLC required.

Drunken GnomesThe Gnomepocolypse is another unique item treasure hunt mod for those who want to find something eye catching to decorate their settlements/homes with.

A retextured/meshmixed assault rifle is not a loving Gauss Rifle, holy poo poo.

That gnomes mod owns bones though!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The dude wanted a gauss weapon that wasn't a experimental looking cannon, I'm not a fan either but the old school Fallout gauss rifle still hasn't loving appeared on the Nexus. Nor the 10M SMG.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

There's a fairly cool 10mm Carbine available here: Link

Be warned however that the automatic receiver modification makes this weapon absolutely bonkers.

I didn't test it without WBO, but when it first began appearing in my Raiders' leveled lists they would ventilate me the moment I turned a corner.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SeanBeansShako posted:

The dude wanted a gauss weapon that wasn't a experimental looking cannon, I'm not a fan either but the old school Fallout gauss rifle still hasn't loving appeared on the Nexus. Nor the 10M SMG.

Where the hell is my 14mm pistol!?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The fact we don't have an alternate/classic weapons add on mod is still the saddest thing.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
It's because making good looking models in this engine is actually sorta hard compared to FO3 or FNV

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Deino posted:

There's a fairly cool 10mm Carbine available here: Link

:ughh:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Seems perfectly normal to me, nothing unusual in the slightest.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

clone on the phone posted:

So Bethesda is releasing an HD texture mod that weighs in just under 60gb and requires a 1080 8gb or equivalent AMD card. The screenshot they released looks amazing.

eh? The screenshot is pretty underwhelming, and the meshes don't look that much better.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

eh? The screenshot is pretty underwhelming, and the meshes don't look that much better.

It's a texture mod. Nothing to do with the meshes iirc. You don't need to act confused because your opinion differs from mine. You're entitled to it!

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

It looks like a decent number of textures just in that one screenshot are simply higher resolution without actually improving the detail. 58 GB extra seems like kind of a waste if the rest are an inconsistent mix like that, so just wait the week or whatever for someone to compress them since they probably won't have any noticeable quality loss.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Like others said, if you don't have the hardware to appreciate it then you can't appreciate it. Yeah, I'm sure nexus will have a middle ground mod at some point too for those that aren't able to run the official one. One screenshot isn't enough to base an informed opinion around though.

Anyone got any good melee weapon mods? They seem to be in short supply.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 3, 2017

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

It's not about not having the hardware to use them, it's about Bethesda seemingly just providing a bunch of uncompressed textures that will use more system resources than they likely need. They could have probably cut down the required space significantly without any visible quality loss to the player and reduced the required resources by at least some degree, which, like other people mentioned earlier, is what someone will likely do soon after they release the pack. Why use more than you need to if you get the same result? Some of those textures are also possibly unnecessarily large for the amount of detail that's actually in them. People complained of the same thing with the Skyrim remaster, so it may be the same case here. And,

quote:

One screenshot isn't enough to base an informed opinion around though.
is why I said "if." You can't know one way or the other how much their system recommendations make sense until it comes out and we see how much of any of this is true. But, it's not like criticizing mediocre-looking or lower quality things that we can already see is forbidden.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

boneration posted:

Whether or not you'd actually want to use them is arguable considering Bethesda's textures are loving garbage.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Don't worry about those textures not looking that good. I'm going to run them through a sharpen filter 7 or 8 times and release them on my own modding forum. To download any of my mods you need 5 'sweet lil follower points' but it only takes three months of praising my work to get one so sign up as soon as possible

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

clone on the phone posted:

Like others said, if you don't have the hardware to appreciate it then you can't appreciate it. Yeah, I'm sure nexus will have a middle ground mod at some point too for those that aren't able to run the official one. One screenshot isn't enough to base an informed opinion around though.

Anyone got any good melee weapon mods? They seem to be in short supply.

It's not like we have a plethora of screenshots to work off of and it isn't our fault the ones that Bethesda gave us as promotional/hype material aren't really showing a worthwhile improvement.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'd rather they release huge uncompressed textures for everything as a free update because it means we get a dozen flavors of those same textures made by modders that fit all manner of systems and aren't recompressed and sharpened a dozen times.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm very late to the game (:haw:) but this weekend I'll finally jump into FO4. I browsed the mod lists in this thread and didn't see anything to put boobs on molerats.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Are there any mods that make it so enemies attack companions? I've run into multiple times where enemies move past my companion that is standing right in front of them and shooting them just so they can attack me.

Also, could someone suggest a mod that makes companions more reactive? There have been multiple times where enemies are attacking me and my companion would just stand there.

So far, this game seems like a downgrade from New Vegas companion-wise :(.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Any good mods come out lately or about to come out? was thinking of pouring over the mods available now and making a install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Heads up the fallout 4 HD retexture mod in the OP is trash and causes all kinds of issues, check the comments section for the mod.

It's apparently poorly optimized and can cause severe performance issues, causes CTDs and for me was causing artifacts all across the sky that took me forever to figure out what it was.