Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Your Taint posted:

The downside of Cubs fandom is now that we've won a WS, we can never say anything about the Cubs again ever ever ever or we're all pessimistic jerks who are never happy with anything.
:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I hope the two of them host a big barbeque

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Your Taint posted:

Now that Vin Scully is out of the booth, Pat is the best in baseball.

Excuse me? Bob Uecker is still doing games

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Jays have apparently signed JP Howell. He's better than Loup I guess !

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Your Taint posted:

The downside of Cubs fandom is now that we've won a WS, we can never say anything remotely bad or negative about the Cubs again ever ever ever or we're all pessimistic jerks who are never happy with anything.

Example:

"Geez, Lester should have gotten that bunt down"

"LOL YOU WON A WORLD SERIES CUBS FANS ARE NEVER HAPPY"

Now that Vin Scully is out of the booth, Pat is the best in baseball.

People would probably forget you made those bad posts if you stopped bringing up the time everyone called you out for your bad posts.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
lmao that's the most disingenuous portrayal of Cubs posting and the response to it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

lmao that's the most disingenuous portrayal of Cubs posting and the response to it

Oh God Rizzo's in the lineup? Better fire Maddon, this series is over.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Just wait for when we inevitably sign Free Agent Hero and Murderer Of Rapists Chris[t] Coghlan

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

root for the cardinals, my man

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Grittybeard posted:

Oh God Rizzo's in the lineup? Better fire Maddon, this series is over.

I forgpt about that guy

Also free agent fan, the cubs are awesome, but you should actually root for the dodgers again because the dodgers are also pretty cool

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Tender Bender posted:

People would probably forget you made those bad posts if you stopped bringing up the time everyone called you out for your bad posts.

It's not just my posting. This has happened to other people around here.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Just wait for when we inevitably sign Free Agent Hero and Murderer Of Rapists Chris[t] Coghlan

Chris Coghlan becomes one of the hottest free agents year after year as teams sign him to a one year deal then flip him to the Cubs for prospects because Joe Maddon demands his guy be in the lineup.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I moved away from South Florida and my beloved Marlins in 2009; however, the team I grew up loving didn't love me anymore, so I said that if my team wasn't loyal to me, I owed them nothing in return. I asked around, and signed a 5-year deal with my buddy to cheer for the LA Dodgers.

When that deal expired, I signed a new 4 year deal to cheer for the Pirates, a scrappy up-and-coming team with a lot of heart and fun players. However, their window is rapidly closing, so I elected to opt-out of my deal and test the waters.

Pirates, you're fuckin' out. I'm fuckin' in. Let's do this:

Please submit offers as to why I should cheer for your team. Requirements:

-Not the Braves or Yankees

-Preference given to NL teams who actually have their pitchers hit

Submit your offers below or via PM to my agent, forums poster Skaboomizzy. Game on.

Join us Mets fans for the following reasons:

1) The Mets face the Marlins like a hundred trillion times a season, so you get to watch the team that spurned you get annihilated a lot.
2) Noah Syndergaard's Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/Noahsyndergaard/status/826626687915823104

3) You want pitchers who hit? We got pitchers who hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L00bzJ3aTr0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMFvT579ovI

(I almost linked the Bartolo dinger GIF here too... :sigh: )

4) They are natural enemies of the Barves and Yankees.
5) Batflips are welcome.

6) Despite god-like pitching and a burgeoning offense, the Mets are still not good enough to be vehemently hated by most normal people.
7) Curtis Granderson might literally be the second coming of Jesus, so being on whatever side he's on is probably a good idea.

I was going to be all "It's actually Yoelkis :eng101: " but then I Googled it and saw three different spellings for it, so who loving knows. Either way, the Céspedes eyebrow is a hell of a gene. They both look like they belong in Dungeons of Dredmor.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Please submit offers as to why I should cheer for your team. Requirements:

-Not the Braves or Yankees

-Preference given to NL teams who actually have their pitchers hit

Submit your offers below or via PM to my agent, forums poster Skaboomizzy. Game on.

Let me tell you about everyone's favorite villain, the Cardinals. The Cardinals:

- Had the pitcher with the most RBI's in a season in about 40 years last year, Adam Wainwright.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=FXOtzO5d2BQ

- Have young talent, including the consensus top pitching and catching prospects in baseball.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=EG8Msw2mucc
https://youtube.com/watch?v=h2buK7g2kZA

- Have a player who's actually kind of speaking out against Trump a bit in Dexter Fowler.

- Have noted Adorable Goofball Carlos Martinez.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=0aLvW1w1EYo
https://youtube.com/watch?v=i0upmFdvluA

- Have had one losing season in the past 17 years.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

yeah but then you'd be cheering for the Cardinals, so don't forget to take that into consideration

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

yeah but then you'd be cheering for the Cardinals, so don't forget to take that into consideration

And you'd willingly be putting yourself into this sort of company.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

The Cardinals and Carlos Martinez are close to a 5 year/$51m extension. :snoop:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

a scrappy up-and-coming team with a lot of heart and fun players.

-Not the Braves

Pity, since the Braves are literally this now, with bonus Bartolo.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Spoeank posted:

Yeah there needs to be at least two more pages of dogpiling

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I never had a problem with cubs posting until Mr mcgibblets or whatever his name was came along . The rest of you guys are cool with me

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah there needs to be at least two more pages of dogpiling

After two pages of hand-wringing about whether trading Gleyber was worth the 2016 title because :ohdear: what if he doesn't bring us a 2020 title :ohdear:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

as long as we're talking about the cubs, i learned this insane thing while watching the world series. did you know that jon lester, the big lefty for the cubs, doesn't throw to first base? at all? he doesn't throw it over, smoltz. he just stands there on the mound and if a guy is dancing around saying hey i might go to second he won't throw over at all. to first. with the ball. it's completely insane. why won't he throw to first? why won't he throw it, john? coming up on fox, it's a brand new sleepy hollow and you won't believe it, the horseman is back. he's back john, with that jack o'lantern head and the only thing more improbable is jon lester. he won't throw to first. goddammit throw it. throw it. throw it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also Hendricks doesn't throw hard and is perpetually on the edge of being pulled.

Also the Cubs young players are fearless.

Also they hadn't won a world series in 108 years. Did you know that? 108 whole years. That's like, a lot of years! Over a 100, in fact!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sydin posted:

Also Hendricks doesn't throw hard and is perpetually on the edge of being pulled.

Also the Cubs young players are fearless.

Also they hadn't won a world series in 108 years. Did you know that? 108 whole years. That's like, a lot of years! Over a 100, in fact!

Hendricks is in a perpetual state of flashing back to Starlin Castro Errors. He will never smile again.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I never had a problem with cubs posting until Mr mcgibblets or whatever his name was came along . The rest of you guys are cool with me

well he's dead now so we're all free

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I still content peak CubsPosting (tm) was in the Giants Cubs GDT.

"Lester pitches, ball one"
*3 pages of WELL gently caress THIS THE WHOLE SEASON WAS A WASTE GOD THE CUBS CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT*

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

I still content peak CubsPosting (tm) was in the Giants Cubs GDT.

"Lester pitches, ball one"
*3 pages of WELL gently caress THIS THE WHOLE SEASON WAS A WASTE GOD THE CUBS CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT*

i refuse to be embarrassed by being ludicrously shook by the possibility of even year bullshit

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

i refuse to be embarrassed by being ludicrously shook by the possibility of even year bullshit

The Cubs being crushed by literal voodoo even year magic would have been par for the past eternity, so that series in particular had everyone on edge. Looking back the bipolar Cubs posting swings where pretty wild.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Cubs posters should adapt to being on top. You won it all. Despite the uncertainty, the doubts, the agonizing moments, you all got to watch your team win and the Windy City went bonkers. Now it should be gravy time, World Champs til Opening Day.

This is likely to be the happiest offseason you'll experience as a young adult baseball fan. Another Series win wont habe the same feeling, just ask Sox fans to compare 04 and 08.

If you can't chuckle now when others toss a softball jab your way, then when will you?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

The Cubs being crushed by literal voodoo even year magic would have been par for the past eternity, so that series in particular had everyone on edge. Looking back the bipolar Cubs posting swings where pretty wild.

The Game 4 comeback in the NLDS was noticeably my turning point from SAS fatalist to optimist.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Game 4 comeback in the NLDS was noticeably my turning point from SAS fatalist to optimist.

I still laugh about game 3 where you got so pissed that you went onto the deck and missed Bryant's game tying homer

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
That Martinez extension seems real friendly for the Cards.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

elentar posted:

Pity, since the Braves are literally this now, with bonus Bartolo.

Also Dickey, the heartiest of the heart players. The Braves want me to like them so much.

Still holding out for than '91 WS rematch.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i finally saw dickey in person against the white sox and it was an insane game where the sox hit seven home runs and lost, which is apparently the third time that's happened and the other two were both against the detroit tigers.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Nobody mentioned Pear Baby as a Cubs positive and now I feel like the entire season was for nothing

Also I figured out that when I wasn't happy as a Cubs fan the best plan was Just Don't Post and I think that went pretty well (aside from the endless digging at Heyward that never stopped feeling good to type as yet another soft groundout was completed)

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 2, 2017

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Thank god we're talking about the Cubs again

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dexo posted:

Hendricks is in a perpetual state of flashing back to Starlin Castro Errors. He will never smile again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXVo0J18s4w

Mike_V posted:

That Martinez extension seems real friendly for the Cards.

Considering he's 25 and a bona fide ace in an era where pitchers are getting sacks of money thrown at them in FA? Yeah, 5/51 is a goddamn steal. :stare:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Sydin posted:

Considering he's 25 and a bona fide ace in an era where pitchers are getting sacks of money thrown at them in FA? Yeah, 5/51 is a goddamn steal. :stare:

The Cardinals still had 3 years of team control and this is his first arb year, so getting $51 million now and hitting FA going into your age 30 season sounds like a good deal for Martinez. I think a lot of players are going to take 'undervalued' extensions while under team control as a hedge against injury or regression leaving them with relatively little to show for their MLB careers if their late 20s/early 30s go poorly - especially pitchers.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

I still laugh about game 3 where you got so pissed that you went onto the deck and missed Bryant's game tying homer
You weren't a Cubs fan in '89 or '98 or '03 or '07 or '08. YOU DIDN'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS LIKE. They ended up losing that game anyway.

The best part was our neighbor did the exact same thing, so we shared in our misery out on our respective decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

My finalists are the Mariners (I live in Seattle), Mets and los doyers.

Final decision Friday. Give me opinions

• Locked thread