Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I dug up my copy of G Generation Overworld that I bought while I was in Japan and never played. Now I'm interested since I've been wanting to play something like SRW but with less reading involved.

The question I have is: how hard is Overworld? I plan on doing some fairly silly things with my team composition, and I'm worried about whether I'll actually be able to get anywhere or not if I don't pick the 'right' characters.

Edit: I guess what I'm asking is can I beat this game with anyone?

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

I dug up my copy of G Generation Overworld that I bought while I was in Japan and never played. Now I'm interested since I've been wanting to play something like SRW but with less reading involved.

The question I have is: how hard is Overworld? I plan on doing some fairly silly things with my team composition, and I'm worried about whether I'll actually be able to get anywhere or not if I don't pick the 'right' characters.

Overworld is not hard at all unless you're going super deep into the hard mode stuff at which point fielding Turn-A Gundams or whatever helps a lot. If you just want to collect shinies and see what little plot it has then you can deploy a team of GMs and probably win.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Awesome. Time to unleash my concept for Kira & Lacus's Space Orphanage for Gundam Kids.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Awesome. Time to unleash my concept for Kira & Lacus's Space Orphanage for Gundam Kids.

My own strategy was to shove as many princesses or psuedo-princesses into Gundams as I could.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Weissritter posted:

Thanks all. Looks like I just need to get better at the game for the SR points (though maybe going in blind was a handicap).

And my impression of Granteed is correct. Do items carry over to a new game? Thoe will make it more ussable early on.

There are a couple of SR points that are really tricky until you know whats going to happen on the stage so you can figure out the puzzle, I know Calvina stage 3 is one that is tough on your first run if you don't have your twins set up just right.

Once you've completed the game twice, when starting a third time you get the option for Special Mode which gives you 1 of every item and upto 15 bars for upgrades. Unfortunately items don't really solve the crippling issue of Granteed, you can solve the EN issues, speed and accuracy with items and ability parts, but you can never get it a greater than range 1 post movement attack at lower will which prevents it from getting the ball rolling in the first place. You can use someone else to spend all their SP on feeding him Drives and other Will up spells but if you did that with any other character you'd get much better and easier results. Or you could save that 60SP and spend it on other things and still do fine with everybody.

If you like Granteed you can use it, but its super suboptimal and you'll struggle with any time based SR points if you make it your main fella. His upgrade is super good though!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
poo poo, right, I forgot. :siren:Shield Defense is bugged in J and absolutely useless:siren:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

Combattler and Voltes have Tissue paper for armor compared to most other supers, and need, absolutely need, to use spirits like mad to get a lot out of them. Dancougar is also fragile as hell, but gets a damage boost at 120 will and a fuckload of offensive spirits, Accel, Assault and Snipe among them to get the most use out of the range 1-8 finisher.

Mazingers, G-Gundam units (later for everyone except Domon), and Dancougar get damage boosting abilities at will thresholds, so they're good to use. The Arbalest does to, but not for a long rear end time. The Brains are all terrain A ranks, so they're great for the water stages, plus they're all Newtypes from a gameplay standpoint.

Anyone who can teleport as their double image thing can teleport on the map, which lets you put them further into enemy territory more easily. It also means they don't pay EN to move in the air. Speaking of Air, check your terrain ranks, the Gundam Fighters and Zeorymer all have B in air but start flying all the time anyways.

not wanting the FMP characters to go to waste, what all can be done to make the Arbalest a great unit?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

not wanting the FMP characters to go to waste, what all can be done to make the Arbalest a great unit?

Anything that can pump his will up, basically.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I recently started playing SRW J, does anyone have much in the way of tips and advice? For example, is Granteed actually decent compared to its somewhat anemic showing in Moon Dwellers? Is this one of the ones where mechs that straddle the super/real divide (G Gundam, Coustwell) are hideously powerful, adequate, or under performers?
There is a bug with a unit being upgraded to a different robot that can kind of be hilariously game breaking, depending on what you do. The following units all have 2 parts slots: Layzner, Mazinger Z, Yuu Brain (this one has 3 slots like all other Brains, however), and Zeorymer. Now, each of these has an upgraded form (Layzner Mk.II, Mazinkaiser, Nelly Brain and Great Zeorymer) that only has one less part slot than their base form. The bug is that while you'll get back the extra part when these units upgrade, the part effects will remain on the unit that lost the equip slot. For example, you could slap an Apogee Motor (+1 movement, +5 mobility) and Solar Panel (10% EN Regen) on Mazinger Z and when it upgrades to Mazinkaiser, it will still have the bonus of whatever is in the second parts slot. In this case, Mazinkaiser will have 10% EN Regen right out of the box because while Mazinger Z was removed from the game with the Solar Panel equipped in the second parts slot, all of Z's data in the game files carried over to Mazinkaiser including equipped parts. Now, the effects won't show up in the unit information screen unless you know what the base stats were beforehand, so keep that in mind.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Wow I had no idea of any of this. I should replay J (again).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Wow I had no idea of any of this. I should replay J (again).
Yeah, the only reason I found out about it was when I left a Flight Unit (or whatever its called in J) on Mazinger Z to keep it up to speed with the rest of the team. Then, Mazinkaiser returned from its route split and was flying on its own (as the Kaiser doesn't get flight capability until it gets the Scrander), even though I hadn't put a flight part on it. Some testing later, and I found out the other units mentioned.

The upgrades are meant to replace the base units completely in the game code and put the brand new unit's data in. My guess is that the bug is tied to how the game's code stores information and when those 4 upgrade, it doesn't completely wipe the slate clean, thus the now removed extra part slot's effects get left behind.

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 1, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Does the Layzner Enhance have the same number of item slots as the OG layzner?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Endorph posted:

Does the Layzner Enhance have the same number of item slots as the OG layzner?

I think regular Layzner has 3 slots, enhanced has 2 and mk.II has 1.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Late but these rule, especially the Qubeley. Are there any more?

Nope. They showed up in a random issue of Newtype for some reason.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
on the topic of the more visually unique Gundam artists, I really love the works fo Kazuhisa Kondo and Makoto Kobayashi;

Kondo

Kobayashi

and a PC98 game that they both contributed designs to;

http://imgur.com/gallery/LXx8B

would love to see them be the primary mecha designers for a full TV series some day

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

on the topic of the more visually unique Gundam artists, I really love the works fo Kazuhisa Kondo and Makoto Kobayashi;

Kondo

Kobayashi

and a PC98 game that they both contributed designs to;

http://imgur.com/gallery/LXx8B

would love to see them be the primary mecha designers for a full TV series some day
I agree but "The return of Zeon" has got to be the least descriptive name for a UC Gundam story ever.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

When it comes to unique gundam artists, I stand by Moriki all the way.

(Xardion but hey it's close enough)

I wish he was allowed out of his cage to go all-out more often. But then again we got Full Moriki with Silent Mobius so maybe that's all the world needs. Though they are making a stage play... :getin:

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

The trickiest thing with straddlers is that you'll want to upgrade the mobility a small amount, but not too much, and you shouldn't upgrade mobility on real robots at all. Enemy units will focus attacks on the units they have the highest chance to hit, and outright not attack units whose dodge chance is too high--which denies you the opportunity to counterattack.

This might matter less than you think, since enemies also tend to target your units with the highest HP. I'm not sure if that's Max HP or Current, but Granteed and the ships will definitely get attacked the most because of it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jegan posted:

This might matter less than you think, since enemies also tend to target your units with the highest HP. I'm not sure if that's Max HP or Current, but Granteed and the ships will definitely get attacked the most because of it.

You can mitigate this somewhat by taking any dodgy units with strong attacks (Tekkamen, SEED Meteors) and spread them out and away from more appealing targets. This is helped somewhat by the later maps in J being huge.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Kobayashi's good, but Kondo's mechs are too thick. Not thicc though, that's different.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Since we're talking Gundam...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hokuto posted:

Bless you Arado. Blarado.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hokuto posted:

:allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Boo this man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Boo this man.

You have nobody to blame but yourself.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You have nobody to blame but yourself.
Something something mistakes of youth. :negative:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hokuto posted:

Please tell me this is a real scene from Alpha 2.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dr Pepper posted:

Please tell me this is a real scene from Alpha 2.

The joke is slightly changed from the original (a pun on "gantan" (new year) and "guntank"), but yes it is.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

There is a bug with a unit being upgraded to a different robot that can kind of be hilariously game breaking, depending on what you do. The following units all have 2 parts slots: Layzner, Mazinger Z, Yuu Brain (this one has 3 slots like all other Brains, however), and Zeorymer. Now, each of these has an upgraded form (Layzner Mk.II, Mazinkaiser, Nelly Brain and Great Zeorymer) that only has one less part slot than their base form. The bug is that while you'll get back the extra part when these units upgrade, the part effects will remain on the unit that lost the equip slot. For example, you could slap an Apogee Motor (+1 movement, +5 mobility) and Solar Panel (10% EN Regen) on Mazinger Z and when it upgrades to Mazinkaiser, it will still have the bonus of whatever is in the second parts slot. In this case, Mazinkaiser will have 10% EN Regen right out of the box because while Mazinger Z was removed from the game with the Solar Panel equipped in the second parts slot, all of Z's data in the game files carried over to Mazinkaiser including equipped parts. Now, the effects won't show up in the unit information screen unless you know what the base stats were beforehand, so keep that in mind.

That sounds like it could get pretty ridiculous if you play your cards right and put the right part in. I've found Mazinger to be kinda EN hungry so far, so slotting in a Solar Panel before Mazinkaiser comes into the scene sounds pretty appealing. Then again, so does +Movement.

I know this is the only post I'm directly responding to, but I still want to thank everyone for the advice and info, it's been a great to know and I'm looking forward to watching Granteed wreck more poo poo up. It's animations and tankiness feel much more satisfying than Coustwell did when I first started playing. I'm not far in, but now it feels like my biggest concerns will be keeping the Nadesico and Granteed from out leveling everyone else by a crazy margin due to mooks mobbing them.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I'm not far in, but now it feels like my biggest concerns will be keeping the Nadesico and Granteed from out leveling everyone else by a crazy margin due to mooks mobbing them.

The way the leveling curve works in this game, you don't need to worry about that. Others will catch up easily enough, and once you're a level or two over the enemy, you'll stop earning meaningful XP.

The only way to ignore the curve and keep leveling is to have repair/resupply bots at equal level constantly repairing/supplying each other. :v:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Hokuto posted:

The way the leveling curve works in this game, you don't need to worry about that. Others will catch up easily enough, and once you're a level or two over the enemy, you'll stop earning meaningful XP.

The only way to ignore the curve and keep leveling is to have repair/resupply bots at equal level constantly repairing/supplying each other. :v:

This.

The SRW levelling system is great because all you need to do to get someone ten levels behind insantly up to par is feed them a low-health boss with Cheer active.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Z3.2 had a couple of early maps with level 75 optional bosses. If you could feed 2 or so of them to the same unit with Cheer you could break the power curve of the midgame pretty significantly with access to early Valor. It was cool.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Hmm. Well I think I need some good, easy to develop or capture units with funnels in Generation Overworld. Turns out all the kids on my girls team (led by Shakti) have crappy stats across the board except for the one that controls funnel weapon accuracy and damage, which is bizarrely high.

The boys team is fine because it's made up of the leads from AGE, V, Crossbone, etc. I'm sensing some gender politics here.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

IthilionTheBrave posted:

That sounds like it could get pretty ridiculous if you play your cards right and put the right part in. I've found Mazinger to be kinda EN hungry so far, so slotting in a Solar Panel before Mazinkaiser comes into the scene sounds pretty appealing. Then again, so does +Movement.

I know this is the only post I'm directly responding to, but I still want to thank everyone for the advice and info, it's been a great to know and I'm looking forward to watching Granteed wreck more poo poo up. It's animations and tankiness feel much more satisfying than Coustwell did when I first started playing. I'm not far in, but now it feels like my biggest concerns will be keeping the Nadesico and Granteed from out leveling everyone else by a crazy margin due to mooks mobbing them.
Once the Kaiser gets the Scrander upgrade, the movement issues will be somewhat remedied since it can fly and not have to worry about being slow. Out of all those units, Mazinger definitely is going to bleed EN the most, since Yuu/Nelly Brain gets EN Regen S (aka, 10% or the equivalent of equipping a Solar Panel) and Zeorymer is going to start out with EN Regen L (which is 30% regen; yes, this unit's super broken before its secret upgrade) so it doesn't need an extra 10% boost. Layzner is only really going to need EN for V-Max/V-Maximum (and its MAPW versions) and it gets these attacks later on in the game, so it can coast by without needing EN Regen right away.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

AradoBalanga posted:

Once the Kaiser gets the Scrander upgrade, the movement issues will be somewhat remedied since it can fly and not have to worry about being slow. Out of all those units, Mazinger definitely is going to bleed EN the most, since Yuu/Nelly Brain gets EN Regen S (aka, 10% or the equivalent of equipping a Solar Panel) and Zeorymer is going to start out with EN Regen L (which is 30% regen; yes, this unit's super broken before its secret upgrade) so it doesn't need an extra 10% boost. Layzner is only really going to need EN for V-Max/V-Maximum (and its MAPW versions) and it gets these attacks later on in the game, so it can coast by without needing EN Regen right away.

Adding onto this, this is a game with the most broken battleship in the franchise. Put all your megaboosters onto the Nadesico and get used to just loading everyone into it at the start of every map. Low movement ceases to be an issue when you can have an invincible godship moving 17 spaces a turn to do your moving for you. Just make sure you keep your slower units in movement range of the ship in case you suddenly need to get across the map and you're golden.

Also doesn't Drive work on everyone inside a battleship? I remember that being a thing in one of the games, at least...

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The Nadesico is good, but it's no Valzacard/Max Jenius Battle 7/Zero Ikaruga.

The Valzacard hits the damage cap. That doesn't happen in Super Robot Wars.

Hell, the Dunbine battleships have aura barriers, which functioned like AT Fields back in the day.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Broken Loose posted:

The Nadesico is good, but it's no Valzacard/Max Jenius Battle 7/Zero Ikaruga.

The Valzacard hits the damage cap. That doesn't happen in Super Robot Wars.

Hell, the Dunbine battleships have aura barriers, which functioned like AT Fields back in the day.

The Valzacard isn't a battleship, though. I discovered this to my dismay in my playthrough a few years back, since my strategy up until that point had been to load everyone into the Valguard and deepstrike the gently caress out of the enemy.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Generation Overworld is great and I highly recommend it. I love how each level has you balance risk/reward as you decide whether to trigger each Generation Break to try to get new units and more cash. Then for the final step you get to decide whether you feel like taking on all the guest ace characters in the level for a chance at nabbing their mech with the Core Impact system. Sure you can get a Strike Gundam in the first level, but you have to shoot down the Archangel, Gundam Age and Amuro in his Gundam to get it. It's a perfect gamble system that lets you push yourself to get big rewards.

I'd say if you can read enough Japanese to navigate the menu and understand the stage requirements you should be able to play it just fine. The plot is barebones and the dialogue is sparse. I'm really having fun with it. Finally got Ple and Ple2 which helped make my girl team more doable, though Shakti and the sister from ZZ did just fine shooting down Amuro (with Kira's help, of course.) Now Shakti's on her way to getting an Akatsuki so I can actually use her crazy funnel stat.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

Adding onto this, this is a game with the most broken battleship in the franchise. Put all your megaboosters onto the Nadesico and get used to just loading everyone into it at the start of every map. Low movement ceases to be an issue when you can have an invincible godship moving 17 spaces a turn to do your moving for you. Just make sure you keep your slower units in movement range of the ship in case you suddenly need to get across the map and you're golden.

Also doesn't Drive work on everyone inside a battleship? I remember that being a thing in one of the games, at least...
I think Rouse did that at one point, but I cannot recall what game(s) applied that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

AradoBalanga posted:

I think Rouse did that at one point, but I cannot recall what game(s) applied that effect.

...how the hell did I mix up Rouse with Drive

• Locked thread