Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Tsyni posted:

At 1500 two european units can hold down almost any colony. There are some 8000 super aggressive ones in Africa that might need another unit if your military isn't buff. You need two cogs per general area, like...North America, South America, Africa, and 2 units per colony. It's very low maintenance imo, and +20 per year adds up if you want that colonial juice.

Also you can literally never lower your maintenance while colonizing or your 0 morale garrisons will get stackwiped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

420 Gank Mid posted:

Also you can literally never lower your maintenance while colonizing or your 0 morale garrisons will get stackwiped

That's a good point. I rarely lower my maintenance so I have never had this issue, though. As a European colonizer it seems like a pain to constantly lower and raise it for some ducats that are often raining from the sky. Certainly a factor for small, poor starts.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

I wish there was a way to lower maintenance for certain armies while leaving others at full combat readiness like you can mothball fleets.

Tsyni posted:

That's a good point. I rarely lower my maintenance so I have never had this issue, though. As a European colonizer it seems like a pain to constantly lower and raise it for some ducats that are often raining from the sky. Certainly a factor for small, poor starts.

I dunno, even as a rich European, costs can stack up like keeping three +3 advisors and three or four colonists and probably missionaries too. You'll be setting up your native policy fairly early in the game and by the time you're making money hand over fist to justify running huge armies with full maintenance, you're probably already at 100+ settlers per year.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 1, 2017

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Corbyn posted:

I dunno, even as a rich European, costs can stack up like keeping three +3 advisors and three or four colonists and probably missionaries too. You'll be setting up your native policy fairly early in the game and by the time you're making money hand over fist to justify running huge armies with full maintenance, you're probably already at 100+ settlers per year.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from, still even at 100 settlers you'd be giving up over 15% extra colonists. I just find it a pain if I am conquering semi-steadily because even if I am not going to war I probably am going to have a stack of rebels from my conquests, and if I let them siege something down that's extra separatism that will prolong the length of time I get plagued by these effing rebels and on and on. To be fiddling with the slider. I dunno...it's certainly the optimal way to play from a ducat standpoint. I am not arguing with that.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

You dont have to do it, but you're leaving ducats just laying there if you dont

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

This is the one downside of the aggressive policy in my mind but I use it anyway because I'm usually racing to colonize specific provinces. I think of colonization as a means to an end, and usually that end is the conquest of the spice islands and direction of all of that trade value back to my home port, wherever that may be. This makes native trading useless to me (because in my case colonization is about trade power, not trade value) and the small early investment in colonial garrisons can save many years worth of colonization time in the long-run.

I can definitely see the benefits of native coexistence but they're just not good enough, to me. I feel like native trading and native coexistence should be merged

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
They should add the possibility to lower maintenance on armies positioned in provinces with forts, kind of like a garrison function. Then you could have maintenance up for colonial forces and not bleed too much money without loosing the historical ~fidelity~.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

This is the one downside of the aggressive policy in my mind but I use it anyway because I'm usually racing to colonize specific provinces. I think of colonization as a means to an end, and usually that end is the conquest of the spice islands and direction of all of that trade value back to my home port, wherever that may be. This makes native trading useless to me (because in my case colonization is about trade power, not trade value) and the small early investment in colonial garrisons can save many years worth of colonization time in the long-run.

I can definitely see the benefits of native coexistence but they're just not good enough, to me. I feel like native trading and native coexistence should be merged

I almost always choose the repression policy as well because especially very early on that extra 20settlers is like a 30% boost to your colony speed. But in same cases I've found it being worth having native co-existance as well. In my latest attempts to get Abu Bakr's Ambition I've noticed that using either the religious estate function, and or the assimilation colonial policy will get me a pretty decent boost in all those west african uncolonized provinces that have ~8k native population and can end up producing the most valuable goods in the world (Ivory/Dye)

The biggest setback is its almost certainly not worth it to switch colonial policies too much as assimilation is next to worthless in south america where most provinces have 500-2000 locals

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

At half maintenance you can still easily defeat natives, even early on in the game. The more military tech you unlock the easier it gets. Or you can just spend a couple of military points wiping them out. It's pretty low effort, I think it's definitely worth it (at least early on).

Or you could just play France so you can trade with the natives and still have 0% native uprising chance I suppose.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
With the live and let live policy your conquistador won't fight natives in uncolonized provinces either so you can lower maintenance to 0% and he'll still run around exploring without having to stop and wait for reinforcements. (until you stackwipe against Incan pretenders.)
If you're playing in some parts of Africa you can also use the policy to let the natives fight your enemies for you.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

If you're colonizing Africa, those 8000 natives give a fairly significant boost to goods produced especially in ivory or dyes provinces

If you're colonizing America, 500 natives are useless and I would rather set coexistence and forget about it.

The +20 settlers / year are useful early on or if you're a smaller, less tech advanced nation but then bleeding manpower or money or keeping troops tied up in colonies kinda sucks

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I wish we had a diplomatic action "ask to buy province"

France has been my ally for more than a hundred years. We have excellent relations. They have Siena, which I need to form Italy, but for they is of no importance. I'm swimming in gold and they are sunk in debt. I could pay like 10000 gold for it and it would be very good for us both. Instead, I will have to steal it from then in a huge costly war that is gonna be a disaster for both of us

Since it's not ironman, I'm seriously considering consoling to France and selling me the loving thing

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 1, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

420 Gank Mid posted:

This isn't true. After a certain level of tech/ideas your troops can crush uprisings even with maint turned all the way down, at least on provinces with a low native population. Also if I'm playing a European power that has MP to burn, or even a ROTW power colonising low pop provinces, I'll often run repression and just genocide all the natives (via the "attack natives" button) so I can just forget about them. It only costs 1-2 MP for <1000 pop provinces.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There was talk some time ago about Japan being broken, is that still the case?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i just got krishitan japan because i missed it the first time and unification is super simple. but yes it's mostly broken. just absorb as many daimyos as you can, feed them to your war allies as well if it means their full annexation. you want it to be you + ~3 allies vs japan + his opm vassal

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

oddium posted:

i just got krishitan japan because i missed it the first time and unification is super simple. but yes it's mostly broken. just absorb as many daimyos as you can, feed them to your war allies as well if it means their full annexation. you want it to be you + ~3 allies vs japan + his opm vassal

You don't even need that, just eat all of the daimyos one at a time without bothering to get allies. Build up to force limit then either kill whoever is weaker than you or wait as soon as a war kicks off and two daimyo get into a fight, immediately declare on the one without friends, and eat them before the other guy does. Repeat. The daimyo CB is amazing and your only limit is admin points - but even then you should still be eating people even if you can't afford to core them right now just to prevent other daimyo from doing so.

I think right now there's a bug where daimyo are becoming independent, but keeping the daimyo government. Either way I did a Japan run a few months go and didn't notice any problems at all so maybe I was just lucky.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Why are HRE princes saying they would vote for someone else for Emperor even if I have a higher score with them?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Chin Strap posted:

Why are HRE princes saying they would vote for someone else for Emperor even if I have a higher score with them?

They'll always vote for themselves if someone else is voting for them. It also occasionally takes a little while for them to update their vote.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Chin Strap posted:

My take on it is that the HRE is a punishment inflicted upon earth by Satan himself and the only sane thing to do with it is dismantle it, set it on fire and piss over its charred remains

But I might be a tad bitter

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
HRE only updates at the start of the month so if your score is say +27 but still says The Palitanate or whatever, either it will tick over next month or as someone said they are voting for themselves because someone else is.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I've never successfully flipped religion without an event or decision. How am I to go about it if say I want to run a Qara Qoyunlu game as orthodox?

I know I need to get religious rebels going so I can concede to them, but a previous game I tried to religion flip had me staring at separatist rebels and they never turned into religious which was frustrating.

Unrelated (probably): any advice on breaking my bad habits of avoiding the use of mercs and loans? I know I'd be a better player if I used them but I've got a mental block where it comes to them where I can't help but see them as a bad thing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TorakFade posted:

My take on it is that the HRE is a punishment inflicted upon earth by Satan himself and the only sane thing to do with it is dismantle it, set it on fire and piss over its charred remains

Incidentally, I quite enjoyed Candide, Monsieur Voltaire.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Loans are one thing, since I think abusing them can make the game too easy (though I don't give a heck if other people abuse them), but mercs? How can using mercs possibly be bad?

To get over your block, just force yourself to use mercs for half your infantry. The loans will probably follow on their own from that

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Xinder posted:

I've never successfully flipped religion without an event or decision. How am I to go about it if say I want to run a Qara Qoyunlu game as orthodox?

I know I need to get religious rebels going so I can concede to them, but a previous game I tried to religion flip had me staring at separatist rebels and they never turned into religious which was frustrating.

Start to convert a province in order to piss off X religious minority, turn down missionary maintenance so conversion never makes progress.

e: as for mercs, I only use them in the first century of the game or so. I always end up getting loans but if you get to around 10 of them you really need to take time and burn off the debt.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xinder posted:

That's because you sent a missionary to a province with separatism; if you send a missionary to a province without separatism then you should get religious rebels

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Senor Dog posted:

Loans are one thing, since I think abusing them can make the game too easy (though I don't give a heck if other people abuse them), but mercs? How can using mercs possibly be bad?

To get over your block, just force yourself to use mercs for half your infantry. The loans will probably follow on their own from that

Mercs = expensive = bad? I dunno. I won't even pretend it makes sense but I don't feel good making mercs unless I need a regiment really fast or my manpower is depleted. I guess I'll just do my best to make them anyway until I get over it.

I think the deeper issue tying the two together is that I value ducats way more than I probably should. Need to get more okay with occasionally seeing that number go negative.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Xinder posted:

Unrelated (probably): any advice on breaking my bad habits of avoiding the use of mercs and loans? I know I'd be a better player if I used them but I've got a mental block where it comes to them where I can't help but see them as a bad thing.

For Hordes it's annoying but basically 0% maintenance missionaries on provinces without separatism will spawn your rebels. Then you follow the rebels around as they convert your provinces. Don't forget to turn off fort maintenance!

If they capture your capital you want to clear that up because it speeds up the enforcement of their demands. QQ land is big enough that you need quite a bit of converted provinces to actually switch religions when accepting demands. On the bright side, Christian Hordes get Eastern tech units when they reform.

If you already reformed and you're Muslim you can assign and revoke Dhimmi estate to trigger rebel stacks when your religious rebels are already active which is how you mass convert your entire territory to Coptic as Ottomans.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just think of mercenaries as letting you balance gold against manpower reserves. Manpower is really hard to come by and slow to replenish, but ducats are easy to come by and easy to replenish. You can field bigger armies more often by allowing some of your manpower expenses to be replaced by cash expenses, and you do this by using mercenaries (where you get the ducats is a secondary concern because there are so many answers, the simplest being "take ducats from your neighbors and their allies")

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, plus its hilarious having Mercs be the meat shield while your brave boys man the cannons behind.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
After you go bankrupt a couple of times you get an idea of how hard you can go into debt safely. It's also not a game ender per se unless you're going for a WC run or something. With strong allies and judicious spending of monarch points you can survive a bankruptcy with minimal damage aside from lost time (and come out free of loans!)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I posted this on the Paradox forum wrt the new China mechanics. Probably pretty premature to offer feedback but hey:

quote:

Granted, without a Dev Diary or ingame experience I do not know everything about this system, but from what I have seen I would argue for a few tweaks:

1. Like it was said earlier in the thread, you really should only be allowed to take the Mandate if you own either a historic capital of China (Beijing, Nanjing, Kaifeng, Luoyang, Chang'an, Hangzhou, am I forgetting any?) or if you own X number of provinces/states/development within the China super region. Perhaps you could still war to remove Ming's mandate to push them towards collapse, but it seems weird that Da Viet can suddenly assume the tributary system and imperial bureaucracy (I assume the edicts represent this?) without leaving Vietnam.

2. Instead of leaving the Qing as an unique decision for Manchus, overhaul it so whoever gains the Mandate becomes a new tag where they assume a new dynastic title (maybe a decision where you can pick from one of several options?), which in turn gives you permanent claims over all of China. So if you're the Mongols you can become the new Yuan. Since this represents a level of sinicization on the part of the conquerors, this decision could be tied into becoming Confucian.

3. Maybe the Chinese culture groups can become accepted by whoever gains the mandate, to ease conquest and rule. Right now, Manchus are within the Chinese culture group to make the Qing work better, but really they would have cultural aliens with their own faith, language, customs, etc. It also makes it harder, as pointed out in the stream, for the Manchus to gain Imperial Splendor from controlling all of their cultural group provinces, which isn't exactly fair.

Some of this might already be represented in game but the basic thrust is turning the Manchu -> Qing mechanics into a more dynamic system that is universal to East Asia.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

TorakFade posted:

#NapoleonDidNothingWrong

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RabidWeasel posted:

His country imploded because he was redicuously stubborn (though technically his side won the war and probably would not have done if he had peaced out at a sane time)

Not Jake's, it was the guy who he was invading IIRC.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I find it hilarious that I am the #2 great power in the world as Kongo, but I'm poor as gently caress because I can't leverage the insane amounts of development that I own. It took me a good 5 years to put down a revolt in Madagascar because the rebels spawned with 10 cannon at a time when I had 2. They also had 7 cav and fifteen infantry. They spawned from four provinces. Four backwards disgruntled provinces in Madagascar spawned a more powerful army than the number two power in the world.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Took yo poo poo like some old timey ISIS

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Xinder posted:

Easy. Pick a start where you're small and have a big aggressive neighbour. I've just done The Sudanese Expedition so Morocco springs to mind. You'll very quickly realise that loans and mercs are not only good, for many starts they're absolutely necessary for survival.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Xinder posted:

Get rebels to spawn and let them convert most of your provinces for you. Any province they siege that is not in the Zone of Control of a funded fort will convert to their religion instantly. As will any forts they siege down

quote:

Play as Mali and conquer all of West Africa.

You're sitting on some of the richest gold mines in the world and have an income about double of all of your neighbors combined but have absolutely abysmal manpower because you're in Africa. Crush all your neighbors with infinite replenishable manpower merc stacks and be ready to give the boot to the Iberians some time around ~1520. The clock is also ticking on your skyrocketing inflation rates but you dont have to worry about that for at least the first century or so

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Beamed posted:

Not Jake's, it was the guy who he was invading IIRC.

No that was last week. This week he won on warscore but had his entire country occupied and it got broken by rebels into a million tiny pieces.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So newbie question (I have played this game a bunch yet still never have any idea what I'm doing): is it a good idea to leave advisor slots empty to earn some extra cash or should I always keep them filled? I've found especially when I'm starting a new game the advisor costs tend to put me right on the line even when I have military sliders at minimum.

Also, is there an easy way to see my aggressive expansion penalty with other nations? I've been trying to play Holland and I keep getting coalitioned by most of the HRE when I take the territory I need to form the Netherlands. I know I'm always going to get some AE especially in the high development HRE territories but I have a hard time telling if I'm too close to the coalition line to take more.

• Locked thread