Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Who What Now posted:

If we're thinking of the same story, it wasn't that the rabbis found any loopholes, it's that one rabbi was arguing for one interpretation of the laws and all the others were arguing against it. The lone rabbi kept declaring that if he were right then may [miracle] happen to prove it, whereupon the miracle would immediately happen (I think a river ran backwards and trees lept into the sky), while the others would ignore it and say that didn't count as a real argument. Eventually God himself said in a booming voice "HE IS RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG", whereupon the head rabbi told god to butt out because he wasn't part of the official debate.

The logic-ending I heard (can't be assed to look it up in the phone) was humorously phrased as "...Alright, Rabbi Eliezer, very well. The vote is five to two."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Found a live one on a friend's Facebook feed!

On Pope Francis doing some nice thing or other:

Ha, he believes in Jack Chick's crazy Catholic conspiracy theories saying that the Church invented communism. He probably believes they were responsible for Islam and Lincoln/Kennedy's assassinations too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Pope is a Muslim extremist well I never.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Poor black kids are taking all the free sweet-n-savory vaccine upgrades :bahgawd:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's going to be hell to pay when those rich white kids start dying from getting vaccines with no preservatives or antifungals.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Also, you can't have a vaccine that's clean and free of toxins, because that defeats the entire point of a vaccine!

On the other hand, won't all the white antivaxers feel silly once they learn it's really just saline shots and happy thoughts?

Of course, there are plenty of doctors who provide service to white and black families, do they need to keep the them specially labeled so they don't mix the two up?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Keeshhound posted:

Of course, there are plenty of doctors who provide service to white and black families, do they need to keep the them specially labeled so they don't mix the two up?

You'd have to, the two injections are so similar a layperson like yourself would think it's the same image copied and pasted.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Starting, in the US, with people who served as interpreters and support personnel for US troops.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

VideoTapir posted:

"Man, this sounds awesome!"

They think they'll be Raven, or at least Hiro.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I remember when they threatened to boycott Target. I also remember when a few weeks later I had already seen everyone who threatened to boycott to me while I was their cashier shopping at Target again.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

https://news.starbucks.com/news/starbucks-hiring-initiatives

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I remember when they threatened to boycott Target. I also remember when a few weeks later I had already seen everyone who threatened to boycott to me while I was their cashier shopping at Target again.

Saying you're going to boycott something is really easy, whereas doing the actual boycott is a lot more effort (and, quite often, more expensive).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Julio Cruz posted:

Saying you're going to boycott something is really easy, whereas doing the actual boycott is a lot more effort (and, quite often, more expensive).

I am still boycotting Kellogg's cereal over their shitbag founder.

Which costs me basically nothing because I prefer the grocery store brand anyway. :downs:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's real easy to boycott a business you never go to in the first place.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

You should've asked them how your boycott was going.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am still boycotting Kellogg's cereal over their shitbag founder.

Which costs me basically nothing because I prefer the grocery store brand anyway. :downs:

I'm not sure not buying something you wouldn't have bought anyway really counts as a boycott.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Panfilo posted:

You should've asked them how your boycott was going.

I literally work in Denny Hastert's home town. Talking politics with customers at work is not a winning strategy here.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Name's changed, but I'm still green and the other guy's still beige

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

gradenko_2000 posted:

Name's changed, but I'm still green and the other guy's still beige

lmao its literally the first three words of his tweet your friend is a MORAN

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ramadu posted:

lmao its literally the first three words of his tweet your friend is a MORAN

No no you see he didn't say it was a MUSLIM ban, just that it was a ban.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

gradenko_2000 posted:

No no you see he didn't say it was a MUSLIM ban, just that it was a ban.
Yeah, you've fallen into a trap there mate - I think there's a quote from Giuliani somewhere about how they'd specifically made the ban "about danger" because they'd never get away with coming out and saying "NO MUSLIMS" but I doubt even that will sway the guy. When people are making that kind of "magic word" argument, the only thing to do is just tell them from the start that you're not buying into their bullshit. I mean, you both know it's a muslim ban so you should have started with "don't give me that poo poo, you're not an idiot".

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I just ask: If it isn't a Muslim ban, why did Trump say he will give Christians priority letting them into this country?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm not sure not buying something you wouldn't have bought anyway really counts as a boycott.

Listen, okay, I am on year 31 of my boycott of McMansions, gold leaf mint juleps, blowjobs from pristine high class hookers(mostly, but not solely, because I do not have a penis), and FRONT ROW tickets to Hamilton. I will not have you besmirch my honor.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I was having a discussion (for real) on facebook about some things and an old acquaintance posted a blog from the dilbert guy. I rolled my eyes, but read it anyway. Then i rolled my eyes again after I read it.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/156540315831/be-careful-what-you-wish-for-especially-if-it-is

I basically tried to ignore it because I have idea why he posted it or even what the blog was really trying to say. Stop protesting? Give Trump a chance? You are not being objective? ???

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Dilbert guy endorsed Hillary. Because Trump support, which every pore of him obviously oozes, invited threats from the Militarized Left and he was Scared for His Life if he Endorsed Trump. Because nobody can read context and leftists are offing folks based on a google search for "endorse Trump" and zero further context.

It's the most asinine bullshit framing, but at some point he chided critics with "If Trump turns into Hitler, I will Resist" and he's inelegantly walking that back as only a Master Persuader can.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JawnV6 posted:

Dilbert guy endorsed Hillary. Because Trump support, which every pore of him obviously oozes, invited threats from the Militarized Left and he was Scared for His Life if he Endorsed Trump. Because nobody can read context and leftists are offing folks based on a google search for "endorse Trump" and zero further context.

It's the most asinine bullshit framing, but at some point he chided critics with "If Trump turns into Hitler, I will Resist" and he's inelegantly walking that back as only a Master Persuader can.

"I mean obviously if Trump goes full Hitler, I'm not going to stand by. But Hillary is awful and we should give this guy a chance!"

*Trump begins banning immigrants and firing anyone who doesn't toe the party line*

"Okay but like, is he really Hitler or do you liberals just want to pretend he's Hitler to make protesting easier?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Well I mean Trump hasn't ordered the death of a single Jew yet so is he really a Hitler?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
What's a good way to respond to "Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinions" when the topic under discussion is actually a matter of empirical fact? Or at that point is it just not even worth continuing?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

jivjov posted:

What's a good way to respond to "Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinions" when the topic under discussion is actually a matter of empirical fact? Or at that point is it just not even worth continuing?

It probably isn't worth continuing but you could play the "here is an opinion that is stupid" card and post a completely, bafflingly stupid opinion.

I'm talking like "my opinion is that gravel is the best breakfast cereal. All opinions are equally valid so you must support my opinion that gravel is a good breakfast. Why don't you believe that gravel is a good breakfast? Have you tried eating gravel? No! You haven't! Don't judge me. I am entitle to my opinion."

Or you could just go full Godwin and say "so you're saying Hitler's opinions are just as good as yours?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jivjov posted:

The traditional response was "but not everyone is entitled to their own facts" but given recent events...

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
I heard someone earlier say "yeah but not everyone is entitled to their own facts." Not that I really think that or anything else is going to work, statements like that are just a way to retreat from an argument with a facade of dignity anyways.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

Reminds me of this article I read once where some lady was doing a "buy American" week where she only bought American made products. Then her kid needed new shoes, realized the cheapest USA made pair were like 3 times the price, then just ended up just putting off most of her puchases for the next week.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It probably isn't worth continuing but you could play the "here is an opinion that is stupid" card and post a completely, bafflingly stupid opinion.

I'm talking like "my opinion is that gravel is the best breakfast cereal. All opinions are equally valid so you must support my opinion that gravel is a good breakfast. Why don't you believe that gravel is a good breakfast? Have you tried eating gravel? No! You haven't! Don't judge me. I am entitle to my opinion."

Or you could just go full Godwin and say "so you're saying Hitler's opinions are just as good as yours?"

"My opinion is that you don't get an opinion."

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

jivjov posted:

Abandon your quest to enlighten this person and move on. Best case scenario is that you make them rethink their position but more than likely they won't.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Those pesky gays no wanting to get kicked out amirite?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't even understand what the joke is. Being forced to treat trans kids like humans is akin to being mauled by a bear....?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
when you go camping remember to hang your makeup and dildos from a bag suspended in a tree so as not to attract transexual bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is this even specifically targeted at a group? I'm only coming up with "bear" as slang for big hairy gay man, and I think I'm missing the 'joke'