Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Macaluso posted:

Morning Report is one of the worst things I have ever seen in my entire life on this planet. I hate that song to death

But the chimps are going ape, giraffes remain above it all
The elephants remember, although what I can't recall
The crocodiles are snapping up fresh offers from the banks
Showed interest in my nest egg but I simply said no thanks!
We haven't paid the hornbills and the vultures have a hunch
Not everyone invited will be coming back from lunch!
Ha ha...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I Won't Say I'm In Love was a total :aaaaa: moment for me when I rewatched the movie last year, the first time since it had been in cinemas. I simply had no idea that song was so good! It honestly elevates the movie, which I had written off for a lesser Renaissance effort for ages.

Edit: Sorry for all the double posting! When this thread is moving I don't get any work done, I :justpost:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I remember popping the Lion King DVD in at a friend's house and when Morning Report came on I felt like I was having a stroke.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Morning Report is one of the worst things I have ever seen in my entire life on this planet. I hate that song to death

:agreed:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Unmature posted:

I remember popping the Lion King DVD in at a friend's house and when Morning Report came on I felt like I was having a stroke.

TBH it fits much better in the stage musical when there are like 6-8 other extra songs (including Nala's song Shadowland which is phenomenal) but as a bonus song in the movie it doesn't really stand up next to the main 5 songs. Feels a bit anemic. But the lyrics are super clever so I still really like it ok

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like the songs in Lion King 2 better than the extra songs in the musical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glDGAo9SIqs

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Unmature posted:

Yep. Had no idea it was a thing and then blam.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJGqxf86cZs

Zira is my inappropriate Lion King universe crush :colbert:.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hedrigall posted:

I Won't Say I'm In Love was a total :aaaaa: moment for me when I rewatched the movie last year, the first time since it had been in cinemas. I simply had no idea that song was so good! It honestly elevates the movie, which I had written off for a lesser Renaissance effort for ages.

Edit: Sorry for all the double posting! When this thread is moving I don't get any work done, I :justpost:

I watched it with my sister the other week and she sheepishly told me this was her favorite song and that she felt silly about liking the love song so much. I reassured her by saying I think it's the best song in the movie and, to my knowledge, is widely regarded as such.
She felt better. :3:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pick posted:

Very very good. Cam Clarke can sing about family to me all day :swoon: I used to have this part of the movie clipped out as a .mov on my oldschool video iPod. And watch it over and over...

Pick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJGqxf86cZs

Zira is my inappropriate Lion King universe crush :colbert:.

No shame

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
apart from Rowan Atkinson not singing I don't get the hate for morning report :shrug:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm also watching An American in Paris for the first time and right there's where Linguini was gonna throw Remy into the water, fog n' all. :stare:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Hedrigall posted:

TBH it fits much better in the stage musical when there are like 6-8 other extra songs (including Nala's song Shadowland which is phenomenal) but as a bonus song in the movie it doesn't really stand up next to the main 5 songs. Feels a bit anemic. But the lyrics are super clever so I still really like it ok

I saw the musical twice when I was younger (once with my family, once with my school) and I'm pretty sure Shadowland is flat out my favorite Disney track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPJqaxkBRro

He Lives In You is also extra good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T239kqN7yq4

Anyway the musical impacted me enough that when I watch the original movie I still get a brief moment of "Oh right Rafiki was a dude in this one"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

starkebn posted:

apart from Rowan Atkinson not singing I don't get the hate for morning report :shrug:

It's a bad song and it ruins the scene

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Now I've seen Moana I really really appreciate this

and really really wish it was real. Hey, maybe they'll reanimate the whole movie with anthropomorphic animals as a bluray bonus feature for Moana :getin:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually think Moana's people as a race of cats would have been thematically appropriate and also super cute.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hedrigall posted:

and really really wish it was real. Hey, maybe they'll reanimate the whole movie with anthropomorphic animals as a bluray bonus feature for Moana :getin:

I'd be okay with them literally just reanimating You're Welcome with cat people. Little cat Meowana and big square cat Meowi

edit:
That bunch of catnip all on the ground?
Oh that was Meowi just messin around
I killed a bird
And brought you his guts
Now that you're pettin me I'm goin nuts

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 2, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Meowana straight up just disembowls and eats Heihei and Pua in scene 1. Refuses to go anywhere near water, let alone travel across it. Movie ends.

:3:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

starkebn posted:

um, so being naive I thought the new BotB might have been a retelling of the story or something but it looks like a purely "I KNOW WHAT THAT IS! YOU KEEP HITTING HOME RUNS DISNEY!" movie. An almost shot for shot remake basically, pathetic.

Sounds almost like what the new Star Wars was. Disney sure knows its fans...the rabid nostalgtards.

...and the furries, too, I guess. I don't want to exclude Hedrigall. :glomp:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

I'd be okay with them literally just reanimating You're Welcome with cat people. Little cat Meowana and big square cat Meowi

edit:
That bunch of catnip all on the ground?
Oh that was Meowi just messin around
I killed a bird
And brought you his guts
Now that you're pettin me I'm goin nuts

Oh my gosh :3:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Macaluso posted:

It's a bad song and it ruins the scene

But how? I think it's kind of catchy

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The pun game is strong in Morning Report.

I do prefer the original pouncing scene to the one they shoehorned into the middle of the song, so I can see why people think it ruins that part of the movie. Also Simba's voice changes dramatically because they recorded it years after the movie was made. It wasn't a cut song from the original production.

That's why I say it works way better on stage. It's not cutting rudely into some beloved, flawless piece of art in that context.

Drifter posted:

I don't want to exclude Hedrigall. :glomp:

It's nice to feel loved :blush:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I won't say I'm in Love is really unique for Disney love songs for a lot of reasons - Meg has a lower register than most leading ladies, and it's a very sardonic tone that disney usually doesn't go for - and it speaks out to all the people who had suffered heartbreak and been burned on romance - especially in the case of being betrayed.

It acknowledges love is not smooth, but the ending and the movie showed that yes, it's possible to find love again.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Pick posted:

so did Matthew Broderick just not want to sing in these movies or something? Did they not like his singing voice?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Unmature posted:

Is there any kind of overarching plot? Or is it just episodic like most of the TV show? Does it progress the lore of the first four seasons?

From what I remember (It's been like 2 years since I've looked at them), it's a number of multi-part stories with the occasional one offs, all of which are (for the most part) disconnected from one another. So it can go from a five part epic to a two part bit of fluff to a poignant one shot then back again, with no real through line between them. The goal seemed to be recapturing the feeling of the show in the format of sequential art. To the extent that, if you were to adapt them directly, they would feel right at home between two random episodes. Still probably best to read in order of issue number, but don't get too hung up on it. The most 'lore' heavy they go is to reintroduce characters like The Scotsman and The Thief, but otherwise the most they expect you to know is already in the expository intro.

The only other thing of note is that it ends on what could've been a fantastic note to end the entire saga, but then Tartakovski had to go make a 5th season. Jerk.

Also, check out the Powerpuff Girls comic from around that time (obviously pre-reboot). It took a very similar faithfulness to it's source, but told it's story in a somewhat more serialized fashion, akin to the superhero comics the series was inspired by. And the surprisingly decent Mr. Peabody and Sherman (technically) movie tie in comic from around that same time. The art had an almost Anime, almost Alt-Comic, almost New Yorker style to it, with decently humorous writing to it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

Talking of which...

Buy thing. Throw out other thing.

man they took Beavis's character design in a weird direction

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Hedrigall posted:

Hedrigall posted:

The pun game is strong in Morning Report.

Just out of idle curiosity, what percentage of your appreciation of furry stuff is rooted in bad animal puns?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Okay, woke up with the thought: Meg really is quite different from the rest of the Disney ladies. She's cynical compare to the cheerful optimism most of the Princesses have, was nominally working for the villain, even if it was against her will, and it's never outright stated, but it's pretty certain she's quite a bit older than Hercules - whereas most of the others are either the same age or younger than their male love interest.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She might not even be a virgin :ohdear:.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Meg and Kuzco are the best Disney princesses, bar none.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
People say Hercules himself is a boring protagonist, and he is, but it's all about Meg's arc and that part is great.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Das Boo posted:

Counterpoint: Nick Wilde is clearly best Disney princess. Just look at him:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Shadow Hog posted:

He does have an animal sidekick...

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Shadow Hog posted:

Meg in a tie.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Haledjian posted:

Meg in a tie.

There's literally fan art out there of Nick Wilde as Megara.

But I won't link it, I like you all too much.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/AceNoi/status/827279369135550464

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
nothing says love like the blu-ray of Turbo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

How do I make a a Meg and Kuzco roadtrip movie a reality?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

How do I make a a Meg and Kuzco roadtrip movie a reality?

The cattiness would destroy me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Pick posted:

nothing says love like the blu-ray of Turbo

trust me give a girl a copy of turbo and next thing you know they're imitating your avatar