Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress, guys, please just read the OP. We keep answering the same "wait there's more than 1 multiplayer mode" question over and over and over.

You can level up during dark souls mode at shrines.

You cannot level up during ninja gaiden mode. You can only level up between levels in that mode. You have to beat an entire level in one go. If you fail, you only get 25% of the souls, and you do not leave a bloodstain.

Thanks.

Not everything I wanted to know and the exact info you just gave was not in the OP. Also this is a message board. people are going to ask questions, especially if the obligatory something awful gamefaqs walkthrough in the OP doesn't say exactly what they wanted to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lets hang out posted:

Good news slackers

(from https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/nioh/itemdrop.html)

Also, if you weren't able to download the Mark of the Conqueror DLC before, try typing "MARK O" into search on the store. You should find it and be able to download it now. At least it worked for me, here on my US account. Dunno if it works for people who didn't actually earn it.

I'm guessing "Smithing Text" means the ability to transmogrify the appearance to other gear?

That would explain why one goon said he could transmog the Muneshige armor and somebody else said you couldn't. You only can if you earn it legit, not if you get it from a bloodstain? Maybe.

Digirat posted:

Thanks.

Not everything I wanted to know and the exact info you just gave was not in the OP. Also this is a message board. people are going to ask questions, especially if the obligatory something awful gamefaqs walkthrough in the OP doesn't say exactly what they wanted to know.

The exact info I just gave was actually in the OP, and actually my last post just highlighted in bold where in the OP it says so, so not sure why you think that. All those details are literally right in there.

But yeah, people are gonna ask anyways. I'll just deal. And admittedly there's a lot of text, but still, I tried to organize it. Its hard to strike a balance between explaining everything that people might not know and saying too much that most people already understand.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm guessing "Smithing Text" means the ability to transmogrify the appearance to other gear?

According to people on Reddit Smithing Text is the ability to craft that piece of gear at the Blacksmith.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Genocyber posted:

According to people on Reddit Smithing Text is the ability to craft that piece of gear at the Blacksmith.

Oooh, even more interesting.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I believe it's for refashioning and not crafting.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Reviews are starting to come out. Most are 8/10 or 9/10 so looking good.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Shocking.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do PSN pre-orders unlock at midnight?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

Do PSN pre-orders unlock at midnight?

Yep, you should have a countdown telling you so when you pre-order, it also pre-loads about 2 days before launch.

I'm super excited, haven't been this hype for a game in years.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Difficulty option that was in the co-op menus pertains to ng+

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Seems about right.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Alteisen posted:

Yep, you should have a countdown telling you so when you pre-order, it also pre-loads about 2 days before launch.

I'm super excited, haven't been this hype for a game in years.

Fantastic. My 'weekend' is wed/Thur next week. :haw:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
should i pre-order this?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Jose posted:

should i pre-order this?

Do you like dark souls

Do you like Japan based settings

Have you watched any gameplay

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The game really improved from the Alpha to the Beta, and beating the Beta was enough to get me to preorder it. The game's got a lot of Dark Souls in it, but it feels very much like its own thing too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hoo boy, going by Polygon's little "why we don't have a review up yet" article, I bet they're going to dock Nioh points for being too hard and then have the shittiest comment section since that time they docked Bayonetta 2 points for sexualization. Anyone want to make bets on how many times that one Doom video comes up?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My wife is not going to enjoy the amount I play this next week

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Harrow posted:

Hoo boy, going by Polygon's little "why we don't have a review up yet" article, I bet they're going to dock Nioh points for being too hard and then have the shittiest comment section since that time they docked Bayonetta 2 points for sexualization. Anyone want to make bets on how many times that one Doom video comes up?

Hopefully they can use both sticks at the same time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
While it is undeniably funny to pick on gaming news sites for being bad at games, if someone is sincerely going to Polygon to find out if they should buy a game like this (as opposed to just reading reviews to confirm their already held opinions as many people seemingly love to do) then I'd say there is a good chance that yeah the difficulty may be a negative point for them. The fact that Nioh takes cues from DS means that it will fall into that same limbo of being what is essentially a niche game that mainstream news outlets feel they need pay attention to, despite them often being far outside the wheelhouse of the reviewer. You'll see this in reviews of the later DS games, where reviewers will heap on praise with only vague minor criticisms because they are afraid of being accused of "not getting it", while letting actual problems of that game be swept under the rug. They don't want to walk the tightrope of distinguishing "bad hard" from "good hard". Especially since the posters in their comment sections often don't know any better either, but they do like to post git gud at anyone who admits that yeah no that boss actually sucked rear end.

Playing the Nioh beta was very interesting to me because, like many people in this thread I'd imagine, I went into it kind of expecting to pick it right up due to the hundreds and hundreds of hours of Souls games I had under my belt. Instead I got my poo poo pushed in like it was my first run of Demon's souls all over again. Its a pretty exciting feeling that here is a whole new set of systems to master, that while similar to a series of games that you love, is also distinctly different. But it also had me constantly assessing whether or not I was seeing the difficultly for what it truly was, what parts were hard because they were hard and which parts were hard because I was trying to play it like it was Dark souls. And that makes it all the harder to look at which parts are well crafted challenges and which are bullshit.

This post has pretty much gotten away from me now and I forget what my point was but I'm pretty sure its that while I have extremely high hopes for this game, I think its important to remember that this is still Team Ninja, that this game came out of development hell, and that there may very well be real issues with it. Just because the freakin casuls over at Polygon point it out doesn't invalidate it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Someone let polygon know about the block button

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Pretend I posted Polygon's DOOM video here.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really, they should have Griffin McElroy review as many of the hard action games as he can, because sometimes it seems like he's the only one of the Polygon writers who actually enjoys that kind of game and doesn't just struggle through it either because it's their job to review the game or they know it's an "important" game and need to experience it. This isn't even a "lol Polygon are bad at games" thing, just that Griffin's the only one on staff who's shown any real excitement for the gameplay of challenging action games or action-RPGs.

That said, the McElroys are doing like seventeen podcasts each, multiple videos per week, and also a streaming TV show so I'm guessing we're going to see less and less of their writing at Polygon, which is a shame.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Harrow posted:

Really, they should have Griffin McElroy review as many of the hard action games as he can, because sometimes it seems like he's the only one of the Polygon writers who actually enjoys that kind of game and doesn't just struggle through it either because it's their job to review the game or they know it's an "important" game and need to experience it. This isn't even a "lol Polygon are bad at games" thing, just that Griffin's the only one on staff who's shown any real excitement for the gameplay of challenging action games or action-RPGs.

That said, the McElroys are doing like seventeen podcasts each, multiple videos per week, and also a streaming TV show so I'm guessing we're going to see less and less of their writing at Polygon, which is a shame.

Well, in general, you shouldn't have people review a game that don't loving like the genre. Lets get the guy who reviews Madden ** and COD to review Civ 5

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Anyone say how long the game is? I only glanced at two reviews before I went to work but no one commented on length

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Just preordered this. Was gonna wait a bit as I have other stuff going on right now but what the hell, it's not like I ever finish the actual Dark Souls games either (but I still love them).
This game looks like it'll be quite good.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I just don't know where the boss health pool complaint comes from. Are people not switching weapons when a better one drops? How are they only "chipping away at the health bar forever"? Every time I went up against one of the bosses they died at least as fast as a dark souls boss, probably faster. Hell a single living weapon activation should take a massive chunk (30% give or take) off. Even Muneshige dies in a couple of grapples and that's if you cheese him and do most of the damage through grapples.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Maybe the reviewers are talking about bosses not featured in the demos

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Lakbay posted:

Maybe the reviewers are talking about bosses not featured in the demos

Right. Without a large community to share strategies with or to get advice from, the first wave of reviews will tout the difficulty because it's there, but also because they are playing the game in a way that most people won't. If you are pressed for time you don't feel comfortable rolling a new character because you learned some new things that would have helped in the beginning. If you do that in a Dark Souls game, you realize that it's not a matter of the game being difficult, it's a matter of knowledge and learning the game. Like a piece of music, modern Action RPGs like Nioh and Souls-games are challenging at first and get easier with practice.

On that topic, I've come around to the idea of discrete levels that you enter and exit as opposed to the one whole "connected" landscape from the Dark Souls games. There are plenty of areas in the Souls series that I run through once and never return, but having stages (particularly the rotating Twilight stages) provides a better incentive to revisit areas alone or for co-op. It also allows the story to travel all across Japan and to skip large amounts of time between stages. It's a nice contrast to the spacey-wacey logic for Dark Souls 2, for example.

One last thought: There's not much middle ground for a reviewer to say "this game is the perfect amount of challenging." It's either easy or it's hard, and as a person reading the review I'm kind of looking for that litmus test. How many times can you die in a game with mechanics designed around player death before it goes from being "within acceptable levels" to "too difficult"? I feel like the most honest thing that could be said is that it requires patience and can be frustrating.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Lakbay posted:

Anyone say how long the game is? I only glanced at two reviews before I went to work but no one commented on length

Devs said it would take 70 hours.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If you use your Onmyo and Ninjutsu properly, enemies drop like flies.

Unlike Dark Souls 3 for example, magic is super useful even if you invest only the bare minimum.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Monolith. posted:

Devs said it would take 70 hours.

Devs say all sorts of things. What do reviews say? I don't want to read for fear of spoilers. Plus Im sure it waivers wildly with skill and how fast the game clicks with someone. You could spend 5 hours in the undead burg in DS1 the first time. But if you are a series vet you could clear it in a few tries. 70 hours of new and unique content sounds like a LOT, I hope its there!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

WaltherFeng posted:

Unlike Dark Souls 3 for example, magic is super useful even if you invest only the bare minimum.

Can you elaborate more on this. Where should we but putting points and how do you get more skills points for these 2 if you are focusing primarily on regular weapons?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The leaker who provided the screenshots of the first level that Genocyber leaked said he 100% the story in 28 hours but I'd like to hear how long it took reviewers. More importantly they say it's super replayable even if you're repeating content so that's a good sign

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Megasabin posted:

Can you elaborate more on this. Where should we but putting points and how do you get more skills points for these 2 if you are focusing primarily on regular weapons?

Certain items give you free Onmyo and Ninjutsu points. Elemental stuff is useful because when two elements stick, enemies become staggered. Also smoke bombs and utility stuff like weakening enemies or boosting Ki regen is useful.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

WaltherFeng posted:

Magic is super useful in DS3 when used properly, even at the bare minimum so I don't think that's a great example. I do like the Nioh system however, I'm looking forward to diving deeper into it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Certain items give you free Onmyo and Ninjutsu points. Elemental stuff is useful because when two elements stick, enemies become staggered. Also smoke bombs and utility stuff like weakening enemies or boosting Ki regen is useful.

How does elemental work.

Can I get a poison sword? Or do I apply poison to my sword?

Does that poison have a chance to hit or build like dark Souls?

Would it be a good strategy to have 2 different elemental weapons and switch when one lands?

I read the OP.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Bombadilillo posted:

How does elemental work.

Would it be a good strategy to have 2 different elemental weapons and switch when one lands?

I read the OP.

Some weapons have elemental status effects (I found one in the last chance trial). You can also use items to add temporary elemental effects to weapons.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Bombadilillo posted:

How does elemental work.

I read the OP.

Yes to all of those

except poison is really bad, it only ticks every 3 seconds, the damage doesn't scale, and even with the +10% recurrent damage it barely increased

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 2, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

How does elemental work.

Elements and status effects do have build up meters, yeah. You can see that on the enemy's health bar when you hit them. Fill up the meter and the effect procs. For status there's poison and paralysis (probably others but I forget), for elements there's fire (damage over time), water (reduced defenses), earth (increased Ki consumption), lightning (reduced movement speed), and wind (increases Ki damage taken). With the elemental effects if you proc two at the same time it applies a new effect which reduces their Ki to zero while active.

For the elements and statuses there are both items that cause them and items that apply them to weapons. Ninjutsu is about the status effects, Onmyo magic about the elements. There are also weapons that come with these attributes natively.

quote:

I read the OP.

Just put this in every post, to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lakbay posted:

The leaker who provided the screenshots of the first level that Genocyber leaked said he 100% the story in 28 hours but I'd like to hear how long it took reviewers. More importantly they say it's super replayable even if you're repeating content so that's a good sign

I've seen 30 and 40 hours but gamespot says they're at 40 and still haven't finished so I guess it comes down to how much time you spend dying and/or loving around in co-op and side missions.