Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

More than a handful is a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Not only was this adorable the bit in the uniform store where a lesson on how humans often fear and hurt things that are different is given by a woman who at the most conservative reading is still a single maid otaku who's raising a kid that isn't hers with the help of her very odd friends was actually legit sweet.

I love this dumb gay Dragon show. I never heard of the manga before but now I need to get it too.
The manga is good half the time and creepy fetishes the other half, you've been warned. So far, the show is much better.

Sakurazuka posted:

More than a handful is a waste.
I will say this from experience: you are emphatically wrong

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Captain Invictus posted:

The manga is good half the time and creepy fetishes the other half, you've been warned. So far, the show is much better.

Eh. That's a little much. I'd say more 75/25, unless you're counting every time Iruru just shows up, then it's 66/33. Still enjoyable.

I definitely agree the anime has been better so far, though.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

She Boobs Too Big For She Gotdamb Tank Top

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Not only was this adorable the bit in the uniform store where a lesson on how humans often fear and hurt things that are different is given by a woman who at the most conservative reading is still a single maid otaku who's raising a kid that isn't hers with the help of her very odd friends was actually legit sweet.

I love this dumb gay Dragon show. I never heard of the manga before but now I need to get it too.

Eeeeeeh.

As Capt. and Onean said, there are parts that might throw you off. Most of the time it's fine, but sometimes when it's :chloe: it's weird and skippable. Don't go into it expecting the same thing as the show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Comrade Kirov posted:

Gay dragon show is great, I enjoy the amazing fantasy elements of it like:

350$ kid backpack.
:shepspends:

Is this really the case in Japan and why?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It really is the case, and I think "captive market" may be the operative term.

Zoglin may be better poised to explain, but it's a thing. Often, grandparents will buy the backpack for the kid and see it as a way to dote upon them.

(From what I know)

E: You know, I don't even know where I got that from or why I think I know it.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 2, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

a kitten posted:

Man, geometry is complicated.

They're doing it wrong. You're both supposed to go sword-and-board, not.one dual-swording and one dual-shielding.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The Sandman posted:

They're doing it wrong. You're both supposed to go sword-and-board, not.one dual-swording and one dual-shielding.

everyone knows set squares are used like punch daggers, jeez.

do you even maths

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I 100% broke my plastic 360deg compass while using it as a dual-purpose shield/cutting blade. It then became a 180deg cutting blade only.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I just found out the OP song has a music video. I think the OP is cuter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maKok2RItxM

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Is this really the case in Japan and why?

They're super expensive because they're Made in Japan, often largely hand-made, and pretty high quality pieces of equipment all around, definitely built to last all six years of elementary school. Of course you can get a JanSport bag or something that will also last that long for way cheaper, but that won't have the hard shell or emotional significance.

You can actually get them for a lot cheaper than that though, like sub 10,000 if on sale, but those are usually not made of leather.

The reason people pay for something like that is mostly keeping up with the Joneses and a general sense of tradition. If you're the only kid without one you're going to get teased probably, and they're one of those things you can put in the attic and look at once every 20 years and feel nostalgic. Also, some schools mandate them the same way they might mandate a uniform.

Still, not everyone uses them. Most if not all kids I've seen on the streets in central Tokyo do, but I used to have an acquaintance who lived in the suburbs out west, and neither their kids or their kids' friends used them, they just used plain old backpacks.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Funimation dub is now airing
After Tooru says she's attracted to Kobayashi, they changed Kobayashi's line "I'm a woman, though?" into "I'm not into women". According to the dub writer Kobayashi isn't 'into lesbianism' personally

once again subs are proven superior to dubs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Sandman posted:

Those are clearly punch daggers or spears by the way Kanna is holding them :colbert:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Funimation dub is now airing
After Tooru says she's attracted to Kobayashi, they changed Kobayashi's line "I'm a woman, though?" into "I'm not into women". According to the dub writer Kobayashi isn't 'into lesbianism' personally

once again subs are proven superior to dubs.

I checked the manga just to be sure if maybe they weren't like, being weird and using the line from that if it was different, but nope, Kyoani lifted it straight from the bubble.

That's really lovely.

It would have been anyway, but man.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I think in the manga she does say it a bit more ... forcefully than just "but I'm a woman" - I don't quite remember though and I'm not gonna check. It may in fact be "but I'm not into women".

The kyoani anime definitely delves more into the "ladies raising a kid" aspect than the manga, so the funi dubbers may just think they're sticking to source material more.

E: :v:

Looks like my low effort is wrong again.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I think in the manga she does say it a bit more ... forcefully than just "but I'm a woman" - I don't quite remember though and I'm not gonna check. It may in fact be "but I'm not into women".

The kyoani anime definitely delves more into the "ladies raising a kid" aspect than the manga, so the funi dubbers may just think they're sticking to source material more.

E: :v:

Looks like my low effort is wrong again.

I think the dub is accurate.

In the manga she never even thought of Tooru sexually until she magically gets given a dick.

I'm serious.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Confusion with sexuality is at odds with timeline/dub culture?

Is there a not-eyeroll-inducing interpretation of this?

EDIT: ^^^ Who gives a poo poo about what the manga says.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
:shrug:

I, personally, love the anime and like the manga. They're different things, obviously.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Fangz posted:

EDIT: ^^^ Who gives a poo poo about what the manga says.

Obviously the anime is it's own thing, but the manga can give insight into authorial intent, which is pretty vital when doing a translation.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

:shrug:

I, personally, love the anime and like the manga. They're different things, obviously.

It's fine to like the manga, it's just weird to use it to change the dialogue. This would be as stupid as dubbing Euphonium to make Kumiko's interactions with Shuichi seem more romantic/downplay Reina.

It's not like I'm saying translators have to be 100% literal, but come on, given that last season we had the whole thing with YoI mistranslating 'partner' as 'girlfriend'. You'd think people would learn to retain necessary ambiguities.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The subbed anime definitely seems to be having Kobayashi reciprocate Tohru's advances significantly more enthusiastically than I recall her doing in the manga, which I would say is a straight up improvement. Doesn't really cost much in terms of humor, gives the show more emotional resonance.

Also having Kobayashi actively deny Tohru's advances seems like it kind of makes Tohru into a badgering lesbian stereotype, which doesn't really seem like a positive addition to me.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 2, 2017

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Fangz posted:

EDIT: ^^^ Who gives a poo poo about what the dub says.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Fangz posted:

It's fine to like the manga, it's just weird to use it to change the dialogue. This would be as stupid as dubbing Euphonium to make Kumiko's interactions with Shuichi seem more romantic/downplay Reina.

It's not like I'm saying translators have to be 100% literal, but come on, given that last season we had the whole thing with YoI mistranslating 'partner' as 'girlfriend'. You'd think people would learn to retain necessary ambiguities.
I was trying to get at what the funi dubbers might've thought, not to try and :smuggo: "but the manga says", sorry if I came off like that.

As I said, they're different things with different tones. I like the anime more than the manga, CK's works could generally use a liberal editing and touching up to be really, really good. But funi probably thought it was better to go with what the manga implies. I'm not gonna get up in arms about it :shrug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fangz posted:

Who gives a poo poo

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://u.nya.is/azxaic.webm
https://u.nya.is/jzuysa.webm

maji te

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I do kinda wish they'd made this callback a little more obvious. I like the idea but I and most folks on my twitter feed COMPLETELY missed it on the first go around.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
This was already stated but since there still seems to be some confusion, Kobayashi also says "but I'm a woman" in the manga. I checked the Japanese version just to be sure.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

In the manga she never even thought of Tooru sexually until she magically gets given a dick.

it's true, girls can't get horny because they don't have a dick

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess the translator decided to make Maidragon into a story about a straight woman getting turned gay?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I do kinda wish they'd made this callback a little more obvious. I like the idea but I and most folks on my twitter feed COMPLETELY missed it on the first go around.

Huh, I thought they did that really well by NOT calling attention to it. Was a nice little joke that worked by not overplaying or flashing back to it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Guy Goodbody posted:

I guess the translator decided to make Maidragon into a story about a straight woman getting turned gay?

That lady seems like a shithead

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I quite buy the interpretation in this twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/andrearitsu/status/827199679754600448

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

That lady seems like a shithead

Yea! Lets kill her

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

devtesla posted:

Yea! Lets kill her

[half hearted]no don't tohru[/half hearted]

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The next person who posts twitter drama will be eaten by dragons.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hopefully doesn't need to be said, but please don't badger individual employees

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Motto posted:

Hopefully doesn't need to be said, but please don't badger individual employees

Jamie Marchi isn't some random Funimation employee, she's the credited writer of the dub.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Jamie Marchi isn't some random Funimation employee, she's the credited writer of the dub.

Please don't badger specific Funimation employees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

devtesla posted:

Please don't badger specific Funimation employees

Calling people babies (for some up-til-then-at-least very minor pushback) is pretty friggen unprofessional though, I don't even have a dog in this fight and that immediately flipped my "wow gently caress you" switch. This is hardly the place to talk about it though.

Seems like a pretty relatable situation for a Tokyo office worker :smith:

• Locked thread