Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

CrazyLittle posted:

IIRC win8.1 x64 and win10 should have backwards compatibility modes for most x86 software. If that doesn't work, try running the worst offenders in a Virtualbox Virtual Machine?

I've thought about it but expecting a bunch of high schoolers and Luddite professors to do anything with that. It's just too much of a hassle to mess with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

CrazyLittle posted:

This is so dumb. I can't think of any reason why you'd want both ports of a wifi access point to be plugged into the same LAN segment considering that the current crop of harware will never get close to 1-gigabit speeds let-alone 2-gig/sec. There's no reason to ever aggregate the two ports of an access point, and yet I've seen this exact scenario play out multiple times with different wifi AP vendor's hardware.

I disagree with that. We've seen 1.4gb/sec out of our Extreme AP 3935s in front of the larger conference rooms. They're hooked up via LAG to the edge.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

DigitalMocking posted:

I disagree with that. We've seen 1.4gb/sec out of our Extreme AP 3935s in front of the larger conference rooms. They're hooked up via LAG to the edge.

How are you getting 1.4gb/sec unless you're using 80mhz wide channels, also is that a number derived from adding tx/rx duplex together?

The "1.73gb/sec" numbers cited in ads and tech-specs are a fiction derived from multiplying the channel width theoretical bandwidth times the number if MIMO streams.

In your AP's case they're taking the theoretical max rate of 802.11ac 80mhz wide channels "433.3mb/sec" and multiplying it times four. You'll never hit that number in real world use. You'll never hit that number in HALF DUPLEX.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 1, 2017

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

CrazyLittle posted:

How are you getting 1.4gb/sec unless you're using 80mhz wide channels, also is that a number derived from adding tx/rx duplex together?

The "1.73gb/sec" numbers cited in ads and tech-specs are a fiction derived from multiplying the channel width theoretical bandwidth times the number if MIMO streams.

In your AP's case they're taking the theoretical max rate of 802.11ac 80mhz wide channels "433.3mb/sec" and multiplying it times four. You'll never hit that number in real world use. You'll never hit that number in HALF DUPLEX.

I can only tell you what we're getting from SNMP monitoring of the LAG, peak is 1,234,418 kbit/s recorded about a month ago during a sales meeting, with ~60 or so clients accessing it. So a little less than I thought, that's about 1.1gb/sec. That number is in and outbound bandwidth of the LAG.

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 1, 2017

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

DigitalMocking posted:

I can only tell you what we're getting from SNMP monitoring of the LAG, peak is 1,234,418 kbit/s

DigitalMocking posted:

That number is in and outbound bandwidth of the LAG.

1 Gigabit ethernet is capable of 2gbit/sec aggregate bandwidth in + out.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

CrazyLittle posted:

1 Gigabit ethernet is capable of 2gbit/sec aggregate bandwidth in + out.

In theory. :eng101:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The point is that you don't need LAG to achieve 1.2gbps in + out

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Employment came in. Started in the service desk of a rather large mining equipment company, with decent pay and a 6-month limited contract (which might be extended) and I feel like I'm learning actually useful stuff, after Applecare. AD, Altiris, Office 365, user rights management and other related stuff, also some things still running in Lotus Notes. A particular bonus is the fact that this is in the top of a 9-story building where they spent quite a bit to soundproof the place. There is a major highway very close, but you cannot hear it at all. I feel like this going be a good springboard to better things, either internally or elsewhere.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
In our ticketing system pressing the enter key to begin a search doesn't work, and instead it reloads the page with a ~50% chance of logging you out. After 2 years I really should be used to that by now, but it still trips me up a few times a week. I'm just so used to pressing enter to initiate search on every other tool I use.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I need a vacation.

We lost our internet connection at 10:30 this morning. Verified everything on our end was working as it should. The AT&T circuit had no transmission activity on the fiber. I called in to open a ticket and they said to give them an hour to run tests and get in touch with local techs.

I call back an hour and a half later and ask about an update on the ticket.

:v: The ticket says "customer request ticket closed, no issue to report."

I most certainly did not. I tell her to reopen the drat ticket and get this figured out. She says to give them an hour to run tests and get in touch with local techs. :suicide:

I lose it and tell her I've got an entire school that has been without internet for hours. On top of everything, we've got a shitload of national tests being taken today, and it requires internet. I can't possibly wait another hour on this, so please elevate me to your superior so I can get something scheduled sooner.

Put on hold for 30 minutes and then the call is dropped.

It's now 4:45. We still don't have internet. Last I heard the tier 2 techs were reviewing test results on our circuit.

I've been pushing for a backup connection since I started. Director won't approve an extra $1200 a year to almost guarantee we don't have to deal with this again. It's apparently easier to just blame it all on me and get really pissed off every other month this happens.

*grumble grumble*

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Hungry Computer posted:

In our ticketing system pressing the enter key to begin a search doesn't work, and instead it reloads the page with a ~50% chance of logging you out. After 2 years I really should be used to that by now, but it still trips me up a few times a week. I'm just so used to pressing enter to initiate search on every other tool I use.

I can't use keyboard shortcuts for nearly anything in our software and it trips me up daily.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Blue_monday posted:

I can't use keyboard shortcuts for nearly anything in our software and it trips me up daily.

Our ticketing system hijacks the right click menu and make it difficult to select text, pretty sure it's slowly killing me. Other than that it's a really powerful tool and I don't have many other complaints about it.

We're moving to another system pretty soon.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

larchesdanrew posted:

I need a vacation.

We lost our internet connection at 10:30 this morning. Verified everything on our end was working as it should. The AT&T circuit had no transmission activity on the fiber. I called in to open a ticket and they said to give them an hour to run tests and get in touch with local techs.

I most certainly did not. I tell her to reopen the drat ticket and get this figured out. She says to give them an hour to run tests and get in touch with local techs. :suicide:

I lose it and tell her I've got an entire school that has been without internet for hours. On top of everything, we've got a shitload of national tests being taken today, and it requires internet. I can't possibly wait another hour on this, so please elevate me to your superior so I can get something scheduled sooner.

It's now 4:45. We still don't have internet. Last I heard the tier 2 techs were reviewing test results on our circuit.

I've been pushing for a backup connection since I started. Director won't approve an extra $1200 a year to almost guarantee we don't have to deal with this again. It's apparently easier to just blame it all on me and get really pissed off every other month this happens.

*grumble grumble*

I really don't get how Major ISPs don't get shot up more often.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They probably hide themselves well on Google Maps

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Also they don't use signage on their critical buildings, so all you see is a nondescript office building, not a neon-lit extravaganza.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

larchesdanrew posted:

I need a vacation.

*grumble grumble*

I don't understand why some schools have such crummy internet. We support a bunch, and some of them go down pretty frequently. These schools have backup data circuits, and they STILL go down from time to time.

To make you jealous, they actually run 3 different circuits: a cable or fiber connection (whatever's available), a backup circuit (that also handles guest wifi), AND a VOIP circuit. The phones get frequently screwed up, and we have to forward calls to someone's cell phone during the day :/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Johnny Aztec posted:

I really don't get how Major ISPs don't get shot up more often.

Do American ISP's not have SLA's in their contracts for schools and companies?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Can you go to the paper or local news sta....

Can you go to the paper? Tell them about how the school lost their internet connection on test day and Big Business AT&T gave poor little giu $county_school the runaround all day, and won't even pay back for the service outage!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do American ISP's not have SLA's in their contracts for schools and companies?
SLAs are only important if you care about losing the client and there's actually an alternative provider for them to go to.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Thanks Ants posted:

They probably hide themselves well on Google Maps

I know for a while it was a constant battle for the local TWC call center to not be flagged on the map. TWC would get it removed and disgruntled or ex-employees would just add it right back. Not that I ever did anything like that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Can you go to the paper or local news sta....

Can you go to the paper? Tell them about how the school lost their internet connection on test day and Big Business AT&T gave poor little giu $county_school the runaround all day, and won't even pay back for the service outage!

That sounds like a great way to lose advertising dollars.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Thought about ya'll when I saw this news today. Someone troubleshooting at gitlab.com managed to wipe a live database accidentally.

Then they found that none of their backups were reliably working. They happened to have a manual snapshot from earlier in the troubleshooting, so they lost 6 hours of data instead of 24.
https://about.gitlab.com/2017/02/01/gitlab-dot-com-database-incident/

quote:

At 2017/01/31 23:00-ish team-member-1 thinks that perhaps pg_basebackup is refusing to work due to the PostgreSQL data directory being present (despite being empty), decides to remove the directory. After a second or two he notices he ran it on db1.cluster.gitlab.com, instead of db2.cluster.gitlab.com.

At 2017/01/31 23:27 team-member-1 - terminates the removal, but it’s too late. Of around 300 GB only about 4.5 GB is left

quote:

Regular backups seem to also only be taken once per 24 hours, though team-member-1 has not yet been able to figure out where they are stored. According to team-member-2 these don’t appear to be working, producing files only a few bytes in size.

quote:

The replication procedure is super fragile, prone to error, relies on a handful of random shell scripts, and is badly documented

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volmarias posted:

That sounds like a great way to lose advertising dollars.

I doubt AT&T bothers to advertise in the local paper of nowheresville, but there also are probably not many readers of that local paper either.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

A ticket didn't come in.

1st line agent spent an hour on a password reset call with a partner, then didn't open or record any call information, then told him local support had been informed and would fix it promptly and hung up. Agent didn't check the calendar to see local support was scheduled on important work in another office all week, didn't contact local support either, and as they didn't open a ticket, there wasn't even anything in the queue.

I come into the office and get jumped on by partner's PA about why the problem hasn't been fixed.

Fix it in 5 minutes for the partner as it sounds like he hasn't had a great morning. I now have a recording of the call, this should be an interesting listen.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Emails didn't come in.

Monday at 3:40pm mail went down. The helpdesk got some calls and...emailed the server room. I'm the Jr sysadmin and was out sick, the Sr went home for the day at 3:30. Things worked fine on network or on the vpn, but not otherwise (nothing could hit the webmail proxy from off our network). The helpdesk emailed the server room list but of course neither of us saw it because we were off-site. Helpdesk manager didn't hit up the on-call numbers. Me and the Sr separately noticed around 7pm. We're currently running onprem exchange 2013 in hybrid and ramping up moving people to O365 and there was a large-ish move of people (40?) on Monday. Something like 300 of 3000 boxes have been moved so far. Over the weekend before, we had logged a LOT of attacks on our domain admin accounts which finally calmed down and ceased on Monday morning (they are well secured and this happens once in a while).

Exchange consultant who built the cluster was called. Tons of connection resets reported on the cluster. Firewall Stack looked ok but had failed over (everything else behind it and talking through it worked). Failing it back over to primary fixed mail for about 15 minutes then it went down again. Decided couldn't do anything that night so slept on it.

Tuesday morning, the consultant who set up the sonicwall HA pair was called (4600's) and we went through upgrading firmwares and checking everything. All looked ok. Tried running on one, or the other server the cluster or one or the other firewall and the problem continued. The only thing that seemed to fix it for any length of time was making any change to the sonicwall stack. Exchange and sonicwall consultants stumped. Calls went in to sonicwall and microsoft. Both blamed each other. Exchange consultant starts to think the cluster might be compromised somehow so virus scans are run. Found nothing, didn't feel like that was it anyways. After the firewalls were updated, our uptime went to about an hour before going down so it was left at that for Wednesday night since we could just reboot the things and be back up for another hour to keep people happy.

Being home sick I was mostly out of the minute-to-minute but also being off site I could watch connection changes and reported them if I wasn't passed out. Talked to the Sr and brainstormed possibilities and got updates every so often and still the only thing that really changed was those mailbox moves to the cloud which I always pointed back to as being the root cause, even if wildly indirectly. This ended up being the case.

The problem was found and fixed early Wednesday morning. What was it?

Running hybrid exchange we have to keep autodiscover pointed to our onprem servers until all mailboxes are moved (people really whine when they have to manually enter stuff for their mobile devices). Cloud mailboxes cause a lot more connections than onprem, and the last batch of moves brought us over the magic number windows built-in firewall could handle, it would max out and poo poo itself. Windows firewall turned off and its all peachy. 32k was the number thrown around. They're behind hardware and on an isolated network from other stuff so they're pretty safe. Windows stuff was on as extra precaution since some developers also have vpn access back there.

Even as stressful as it would have been, I would have preferred being at work instead laid up with this awful stomach bug. Felt better today though, just in time for everything to be fixed :sun:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Isn't Windows Firewall off by default on server 2008/2012?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Collateral Damage posted:

I doubt it, it's on by default in 2016. Haven't setup an earlier OS in a bit, but I'm pretty sure 2008 and 2008 R2 also had it enabled would be weird for 2012 not to.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Collateral Damage posted:

Definitely enabled by default in 2012 R2.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Enterprise-wide email: Hey everyone, we're upgrading to Office 2016 by the end of First Quarter. Here are some awesome online training resources, and also some quick start guides for Word, Excel, and Outlook.

Multiple C-Levels in Multiple Important Meetings: I HAVE HEARD AWFUL THINGS ABOUT WINDOWS 10 WHY ARE WE SWITCHING TO WINDOWS 10 CAN I OPT OUT MY TEAM THIS IS BAD

Edit: We are in fact upgrading to Windows 10 but much later this year, and we haven't said a peep about it publicly.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wish we sent out emails when we upgraded people to new Office. We just do it and tell them to STFU.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

He internet is still out.

The solution is that the AT&T router doesn't have the port configured correctly for the new circuit. I've been telling them this for months.

No one will check the port configuration.

Kill me.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

larchesdanrew posted:

The solution is that the AT&T router doesn't have the port configured correctly for the new circuit. I've been telling them this for months.

Kill me.

Escalate repeatedely

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ConfusedUs posted:

Escalate repeatedely

I think that repeated de-elevation of a hammer would work to solve the problem more.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

larchesdanrew posted:

Kill me.

Scream incoherently into the phone until you get someone on the phone that isn't an idiot.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I have a tech out here who agrees. We seriously can't find one single person in the organization who is willing to give us the login credentials to the router.

This is absurd.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

I have a tech out here who agrees. We seriously can't find one single person in the organization who is willing to give us the login credentials to the router.

This is absurd.

Well clearly you are getting a free replacement and a free month of service for all the trouble! See if the tech can make at least the first part happen.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
A whole bunch of projects came in:
We have a developer on our team who is generally a good developer, but she has been a bit flaky for the past year, and I've had to pick up the pieces on projects she has dropped the ball on due to personal/family issues.

She has now been AWOL for about 2 weeks now. No one has heard from her or been able to get ahold of her, including my manager. Every project that she was working on just got assigned to me, on top of the stuff I'm already assigned to. Whee.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

larchesdanrew posted:

This is absurd.

Take a hammer to it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Khisanth Magus posted:

A whole bunch of projects came in:
We have a developer on our team who is generally a good developer, but she has been a bit flaky for the past year, and I've had to pick up the pieces on projects she has dropped the ball on due to personal/family issues.

She has now been AWOL for about 2 weeks now. No one has heard from her or been able to get ahold of her, including my manager. Every project that she was working on just got assigned to me, on top of the stuff I'm already assigned to. Whee.

By "AWOL for 2 weeks" you mean "Fired for job abandonment," right? And also all your projects take precedent over hers, and they have a revised timeline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Avenging_Mikon posted:

By "AWOL for 2 weeks" you mean "Fired for job abandonment," right? And also all your projects take precedent over hers, and they have a revised timeline?

I'm assuming she is going to be fired, although she hasn't officially been at this point to my knowledge.

And hahahahaha @ the projects having revised timelines. That is amusing.

• Locked thread