Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A war with Iran would be a great idea because its totally smart to start a land war in asia in a the mountians.

Intervention in the Middle East has historically gone well for the United States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

A Typical Goon posted:

Intervention in the Middle East has historically gone well for the United States

Middle East Terrorism induced paranoia is turning America into a fascist dictatorship before our very eyes

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Volkerball posted:

There's a bit more to foreign policy than just flipping a switch back and forth between "at war with," and "not at war with," thug lessons.

Here's an idea: before you start worrying about Iran, maybe America should stop asserting itself in the region. Great job you guys did in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, etc., and I'm sure you'll do a comparably great job with Iran.

daydrinking is fun
Dec 1, 2016
our empire couldn't handle occupying iraq, is there seriously anyone who believes we can pull off occupying a country the size of the west coast states, full of mountains, with more than twice iraq's population?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

daydrinking is fun posted:

our empire couldn't handle occupying iraq, is there seriously anyone who believes we can pull off occupying a country the size of the west coast states, full of mountains, with more than twice iraq's population?

Presumably you wouldn't be occupying it but reducing it to a chaotic warzone like Libya and Syria without putting your own soldiers at risk.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Human Grand Prix posted:

-Soviet Politburo, 1979

+ every other invading force since like Alexander.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Thug Lessons posted:

Here's an idea: before you start worrying about Iran, maybe America should stop asserting itself in the region. Great job you guys did in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, etc., and I'm sure you'll do a comparably great job with Iran.

Good point. Maybe war would be bad. I stand corrected. I have switched to the only other possible stance, which is not war. Thanks for the insight.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
With that settled, which direction do y'all think Trump should turn the gas prices dial? I think he should go towards cheaper.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Good point. Maybe war would be bad. I stand corrected. I have switched to the only other possible stance, which is not war. Thanks for the insight.

start the clock until the next time volkerball calls for american boots on the ground

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Keep hammering on this point and ignoring the fact that you're saying the US has to intervene to prevent Iran asserting itself in the Middle East, as though a decade of the US asserting itself in the Middle East hasn't done more damage than Iran could hope to in a hundred years.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Thug Lessons posted:

Keep hammering on this point and ignoring the fact that you're saying the US has to intervene to prevent Iran asserting itself in the Middle East, as though a decade of the US asserting itself in the Middle East hasn't done more damage than Iran could hope to in a hundred years.

You realize that the absence of the US means Saudi Arabia gets to define the position opposite Iran, don't you? We've seen that over the last few years. You're being hyperbolic. Iran and KSA squabbling has done more to promote sectarianism in the Middle East than anything, and you're advocating for more of that out of nothing but a naive, general feeling about US involvement in the world.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Volkerball posted:

You realize that the absence of the US means Saudi Arabia gets to define the position opposite Iran, don't you? We've seen that over the last few years. You're being hyperbolic. Iran and KSA squabbling has done more to promote sectarianism in the Middle East than anything, and you're advocating for more of that out of nothing but a naive, general feeling about US involvement in the world.

I'm not being hyperbolic at all. America has started three wars in Middle East in less than twenty years, and those wars have done more damage than anything Iran could ever hope to do. Where do you think ISIS came from? It's time for them to get the gently caress out, not to intervene yet again to throw more gas on the fire and ramp up the regional conflict between Iran and Saudi.

Oh, and if you're concerned about Saudi, here's an idea: stop selling them weapons.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Local library is displaying drawings by residents of a nearby refugee centre. Some of them were technically really brilliant works of art, but something else drew (no pun intended) all of my attention, and I would now like to share. Apologies for lovely phone photos.

At least I'm glad this one kid survived from Palmyra to Finland but I can't avoid thinking about the ones who have died in Syria or on the way to Europe, and I also can't take that thought process to the end because then I couldn't stop crying.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
What is past is past. What I have most trouble getting to terms with is that growing up she will have to experience being punished by her surroundings for having gone through those experiences and she will try to hide the fact that it all happened.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Grouchio posted:

Watch us start a loving war. :911:
Crossing-posting from C-Spam's Trump:

Iran brushes off Trump’s ‘empty threats’ over missile tests

Trump's gonna be pissed if he reads this since they personally insulted him. Definitely headed to war with Iran.

quote:

"This is not the first time that an inexperienced person has threatened Iran," Velayati said. "Iran is the strongest power in the region and has a lot of political, economic and military power ... America should be careful about making empty threats to Iran."

He added: "Iran will continue to test its capabilities in ballistic missiles and Iran will not ask any country for permission in defending itself."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FAUXTON posted:

+ every other invading force since like Alexander.

*looks at map of russia*
*opens wiki page for british empire*
*finds a book about indochina*
*looks at post*
*shakes head*

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Republicans back tough Iran line; Trump says nothing off table

quote:

Senior U.S. congressional Republicans said on Thursday they would support new sanctions on Iran, and President Donald Trump said "nothing is off the table" in dealing with Tehran in the wake of its test-firing of a ballistic missile.

Paul Ryan, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, said he would support more sanctions, and that the United States should stop "appeasing" Iran.

"I would be in favor of additional sanctions on Iran," Ryan told reporters at a weekly press conference. I’d like to put as much toothpaste back in the tube as possible. I think the last administration appeased Iran far too much," he said.

Republican lawmakers said they were working with the administration to push back on Iran as much as possible without tearing up the international nuclear deal announced in July 2015.

quote:

Congressional aides said Trump's administration had already begun looking at actions it could take without waiting for Congress. For example, Trump could impose sanctions authorized by laws passed but not put into effect by the Obama administration, which reached the agreement between Iran, the United States and other world powers.

Corker said he had discussed Iran at the White House with Trump's national security adviser, Michael Flynn, on Wednesday, just before Flynn issued a warning that Washington was putting Iran on notice for its "destabilizing activity."

So the Republican Congress is trying to walk some sorta tightrope where they can sanction Iran without destroying the nuclear deal, but I don't see how they can square that round hole.

I also don't see the EU, Russia, or China joining the US in a renewed round of sanctions.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I seriously hope EU shows spine and continues improving relations with Iran.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/ReutersPolitics/status/827247754074288128

I didn't expect it this quickly, but I should've.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OhFunny posted:

Trump is seemingly in a race to get deposed as fast as possible.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Volkerball posted:

Do you honestly think joining the KSA wouldnt just result in us getting steered around by them?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Do you honestly think joining the KSA wouldnt just result in us getting steered around by them?

It's really important to some people that we lead from the front, not like that coward Obama, even if the steering wheel is in the back.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

chitoryu12 posted:

Lol if you think Trump won't rule 4 years 8 years as Emperor.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
Is this the snap back Obama was talking about?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Baloogan posted:

There are no good guys.

pretty much yeah.

OhFunny posted:

yeah. i expect a war with iran coming soon. maybe even this year. and we have a bunch of right wing fuckheads who are dumber then bush and friends in charge now.

chitoryu12 posted:

while i agree. didnt they break the agreement with the missle testing?

Nenonen posted:

Local library is displaying drawings by residents of a nearby refugee centre. Some of them were technically really brilliant works of art, but something else drew (no pun intended) all of my attention, and I would now like to share. Apologies for lovely phone photos.

At least I'm glad this one kid survived from Palmyra to Finland but I can't avoid thinking about the ones who have died in Syria or on the way to Europe, and I also can't take that thought process to the end because then I couldn't stop crying.

this one is just loving heartbreaking. :( I hope if hell is real. Assad and his family and friends have special corner all of there own in it and i hope they get to go there soon.

OhFunny posted:

Republicans back tough Iran line; Trump says nothing off table

So the Republican Congress is trying to walk some sorta tightrope where they can sanction Iran without destroying the nuclear deal, but I don't see how they can square that round hole.

I also don't see the EU, Russia, or China joining the US in a renewed round of sanctions.

yeah, we are have Iraq war 3, Iran expansion pack soon.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

No, the nuclear deal doesn't cover missiles or missile testing.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/02/iran-brushes-off-trumps-empty-threats-over-missile-tests.html

quote:

Iran used to be prohibited from test-firing ballistic missiles under previous U.N. resolutions. However, these were superseded by a new resolution passed alongside the nuclear deal.

This only "called upon" Iran not to test-fire missiles that could be used to deliver nuclear weapons. Critics of the deal say this wording is effectively a loophole meaning the missile-testing restrictions are not obligatory.

The government in Tehran says that because it doesn't have a nuclear-weapons program, its missile tests are not violations of this clause.

Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif didn't confirm or deny the launch during a press conference Tuesday but said, "The missiles aren't part of the nuclear accords," Reuters reported. "Iran will never use missiles produced in Iran to attack any other country."

It would appear that technically they have not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ok didn't know. so basicaly they are pushing the line enough to get trump to break the deal. trump doesn't care but it would destroy a bunch of US credibility and even republicans are nervous about it.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ok didn't know. so basicaly they are pushing the line enough to get trump to break the deal. trump doesn't care but it would destroy a bunch of US credibility and even republicans are nervous about it.

I suspect the missile test wasn't a political act, they didn't make a big deal out of it, and only confirmed it had happened several days afterwards. They just have active missile and space rocket programmes, and testing is a part of that.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
So Merkel made flash visit to Sweden and then flew directly to Turkey to meet Erdogan? Is she carrying some sort of united front on the refugee issue? Is she looking for a deal of some sort?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Svartvit posted:

So Merkel made flash visit to Sweden and then flew directly to Turkey to meet Erdogan? Is she carrying some sort of united front on the refugee issue? Is she looking for a deal of some sort?

Looking for allies against Trump maybe? Merkel is a crafty one.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-yemen-al-qaeda-raid-killed-civilians-navy-seal-houthi-rebels/

We are reportedly shelling Yemen via our warships and appear to have been for the past five days.

quote:

Yemeni security officials said on Thursday that warships, likely American, have been firing cannons and rockets at al Qaeda militants in the country’s southern coastal areas.

The naval strikes, underway for five days, targeted mountainous areas north of the coastal town of Shakra where militants have been massing fighters, they said. Dozens of al Qaeda fighters are assembling there as well as north of the nearby town of Zinjibar.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to reporters. They also said that al Qaeda militants on Thursday attacked the town of Lauder, further to the east, killing six soldiers.

quote:

Fighting and U.S. involvement has appeared to pick up since President Trump took office, with drone strikes and a surprise commando raid on al Qaeda militants. The Houthis also attacked a Saudi frigate in the Red Sea, killing two crew members and wounding three.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Several children in Yemen have been confirmed as among the collateral dead from today's shelling.

Woops!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Is "woops" some kind of slang term for "everything going as intended"?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Nenonen posted:

This story is extremely powerful. Are you able to put it up somewhere sharable?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nenonen posted:

Is "woops" some kind of slang term for "everything going as intended"?
I meant to say Whoops sorry about that.
Or WELP

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

yeesh

quote:

Obama hoped that his last-minute preparations would clear the way for Trump to authorize a swift assault on the Islamic State’s most important stronghold, where U.S. intelligence officials say militants are plotting attacks outside Syria.

Instead of running with the plan, Trump’s national security team deemed it wholly insufficient and swiftly tossed it.

To the incoming Trump administration, Obama’s approach was so incremental and risk averse that it was almost certain to fail. “They provided the information, but we found huge gaps in it,” said a senior Trump administration official who reviewed the document. “It was poor staff work.”

The Obama White House viewed its Syria plans as the product of years of experience in a region where every move carries unintended and potentially catastrophic consequences. Those who steered the Obama administration’s Syria policy insisted that the new White House did not understand the complexity of the issue, but soon would.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.f7acf37616c6

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah, they don't give a gently caress. trump and friends basically take all the wrong lessons from patton and want to do that because they are dumb loving chicken hawks. it wouldn't surprise me if ISIS loving spreads even more thanks to him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...0645_story.html

basicaly he doesn't read or think long term(outside personal greed/ownership). he believes that gut reaction is the best method. whatever or wherever the next war is. its gonna make iraq look like a well organized picnic. because now we have the republican bloodlust and nepotism(lets send a dentist who voted for us to make important tribal alliances) with even less decision because "thats for liberals". its gonna be a cluster gently caress. like i have a gently caress ton of issues with obama and syria but at least we managed to contain isis. now that shits hosed.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Interesting notes from that article:

quote:

For two years inside the Pentagon, Turkey’s promises of sending rebels and later its own troops were viewed with deep skepticism and derisively dubbed “Erdogan’s ghosts” or the “unicorn” army, according to current and former defense officials. Carter and other defense officials worried that Dunford’s response gave the White House another reason to delay a decision.

By late 2016, Dunford had concluded that the Turks would not produce the forces to retake Raqqa. With less than three weeks left in the Obama administration, Dunford and Carter submitted a formal request to arm the Kurds for the assault with armored vehicles, antitank weapons, Russian-made machine guns and mine-clearing equipment.

The Pentagon pushed for an immediate decision, warning that if the Kurds did not receive the equipment by mid-February, their offensive on Raqqa would stall. A decision not to arm the Kurds could delay the Raqqa operation by up to a year, U.S. officials warned.
--
Everyone in the Situation Room that day agreed on the need to consult with the Trump team. There was no point taking such a consequential step if the new president might reverse it.

At the end of the meeting, Rice thanked everyone for their hard work and led a champagne toast. Shortly afterward, Rice spoke to retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, her counterpart in the incoming administration, about the proposal. “Don’t approve it,” Flynn responded, according to two former officials briefed on the exchange. “We’ll make the decision.”
Going by that line about “Erdogan’s ghosts/unicorns”, the Pentagon sees exactly one force that can take Raqqa, the SDF. So if Trump wants a "new" plan in 30 days, it's gonna be SDF-based.

It's interesting that the article says Trump's administration "tossed" the plan, because it looks like the bolded part has already happened, and apparently with Trump/the Trump administration's seal of approval. I mean that's basically a word-for-word list of equipment the SDF got:
https://twitter.com/CivilWarMap/status/826423222086287360

quote:

#US Coaltion supplied #SDF with 200 Armoured Vehicles, ATGMs, Sniper Rifles, Assault Rifles, Heavy Machine Guns and Mortars.

Funny thought: this might be a change of plan in name rather than in practice, so that the Trump Administration can claim all the credit for liberating Raqqa.

New document submitted by the Trump Administration posted:

Obama's Trump's totally awesome and cool plan for liberating Raqqa: arm the SDF bigly, provide yooge air support, provide the biggest and the best weapons, and additional Special Operations Forces for mission support (Mattis says he knows some good ones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

OhFunny posted:

No please Trump go right ahead.
This will end well, and we'll end up winning bigly.

• Locked thread