Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They want to continue with the current Hapsburg monarch who was christened on a fake scone, rather than putting Forest Whitaker Franz of Scotland back on his rightful seat.

e: 1550 - The Rough Wooing is ended by formal treaty.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cerv posted:

so would you argue that they shouldn't have built all those council houses in the post-war boom?

If the mood of the time had been such that Right to Buy would have flown, it would have been politically a bad idea for them to do so. As it happens though, in the 50s and 60s Labour and Tories both thought council housing was Cool and Good.

Don't get me wrong, I think we should build loads of council houses, I'm just not sure how to do it without further entrenching the Tory Reich.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Pissflaps who do you think should lead Labour?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
A B C

Anyone But Corbyn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think we should build loads of council houses, I'm just not sure how to do it without further entrenching the Tory Reich.
Have them owned by the EU :v:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Farecoal posted:

*hitting f5 intensifies*

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Farecoal posted:

Jeremy Corbyn should lead Labour into the next general election.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

BOOOOOOOO

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Farecoal posted:

Pissflaps is waiting for the inevitable rise of Cyber-Tony in the ashes of the Post-Trump wasteland

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

I've stated this several times.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's not a spicy answer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MikeCrotch posted:

Pissflaps is waiting for the inevitable rise of Cyber-Tony in the ashes of the Post-Trump wasteland
This but Benn not Blair.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Pissflaps posted:

:mad:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Really Labour are totally hosed now, they should just call it a day. They aren't the party of the working classes, or of the metropolitan elite. Corbyn can't even give a simple pro-gay rights statement without loving everything up and offending people, it's incredible. Even Trump can manage that!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Flaps doesn't actually have a better candidate, he just wants to see the one he doesn't like lose so he can say "I told you so" then go back to not actually helping anyone.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

marktheando posted:

Really Labour are totally hosed now, they should just call it a day. They aren't the party of the working classes, or of the metropolitan elite. Corbyn can't even give a simple pro-gay rights statement without loving everything up and offending people, it's incredible. Even Trump can manage that!

settle down Beavis

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

spectralent posted:

Flaps doesn't actually have a better candidate, he just wants to see the one he doesn't like lose so he can say "I told you so" then go back to not actually helping anyone.

I did tell you so.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

MikeCrotch posted:

settle down Beavis

"Re....

Reefer...

Reefer... u.... dumb.

Hey Beavis, I think this is an advert for weed?"

"Heh heh. Cool! Heh."

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

I wonder if any Lib dems have the critical thought to realise this would be their time if they hadn't made themselves unelectable. Say what you like about Corbyn's Labour, they didn't make a deal that resulted in loving an entire generations life up for no actual gain. *Looks at brexit vote* Hmm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

marktheando posted:

They aren't the party of the working classes,

They sort of are.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pissflaps posted:

I did tell you so.

Broken clocks and all

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Broken clocks and all

I'm rarely wrong.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Regarde Aduck posted:

I wonder if any Lib dems have the critical thought to realise this would be their time if they hadn't made themselves unelectable. Say what you like about Corbyn's Labour, they didn't make a deal that resulted in loving an entire generations life up for no actual gain. *Looks at brexit vote* Hmm.

It's amazing to see the series of decisions they made that took them from a party on the rise and king makers, to ending up almost dead in the space of just a couple of years.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Or else someone removed an apostrophe, saved it as the final draft, and sent it for printing at 04:17? jfc

Is it normal to be checking a paper's grammar at 4am on the day it's supposed to be published?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I doubt it's even normal to be only just printing a paper at 4am on the day it's supposed to be published.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Or it could have been some daft racist given the other two people she was supposedly seen with.
Or an unscrupulous journalist who wants to start some poo poo.
Or it could be a real sighting. Doesn't change the fact it's an anonymous and unreliable source. Shown yourself up imo.

Presumably a hostile source at least, as he's referring to Emily Thornberry as Lady Nugee.

jBrereton posted:

Clive Lewis is the last best hope for the party as has been properly established by two Guardian articles.

Supposedly the anointed successor is Rebecca Long-Bailey. I base that on more random internet articles.

In other news, Corbs is getting it in the neck for apparently suggesting people choose their sexual orientation, while speaking at an LGBT event of all places.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 2, 2017

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

They sort of are.

The Tories hold that title now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

marktheando posted:

The Tories hold that title now.

No they don't.

Prince John posted:

In other news, Corbs is getting it in the neck for apparently suggesting people choose their sexual orientation, while speaking at an LGBT event of all places.

Which is a bit daft tbh, that assertion is a stupid one and not something I think should be clung to.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Which is a bit daft tbh, that assertion is a stupid one and not something I think should be clung to.
Same but replace "assertion" with "party leader".

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Prince John posted:

Supposedly the anointed successor is Rebecca Long-Bailey. I base that on more random internet articles.

I thought it was a funny article and the first time i'd seen her name flagged up as one of the 'next generation' :D

And laughing at Corbyn putting his foot in it again, even while being an ally. Oh good grief.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I think sexuality's one of those weird things and it's one of those cases where the mere existence of wankers means that we can't have sensible conversations of it, because I definitely feel like sexuality is fluid (I'd be uncomfortable saying "I was always bi" or whatever), but OTOH the argument from the pro-fuckstick angle will always be "If sexuality's changeable we have to change it so it's correct" and they can go gently caress a cactus.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spectralent posted:

I think sexuality's one of those weird things and it's one of those cases where the mere existence of wankers means that we can't have sensible conversations of it, because I definitely feel like sexuality is fluid (I'd be uncomfortable saying "I was always bi" or whatever), but OTOH the argument from the pro-fuckstick angle will always be "If sexuality's changeable we have to change it so it's correct" and they can go gently caress a cactus.

I'm not entirely sure that responding to "homosexuality is wrong" with "but I can't help it" is entirely non-fuckstickish though. It kind of carries an implicit agreement with the former statement. The correct answer is "no it isn't".

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/RuddleMatthew/status/827144811341815809

No wonder Corbyn's decided he's for it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think most of the posters in this thread would make a better job of party leader than Corbyn at this point.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Maybe they are counting the time when you don't get called to your zero-hour contract as "entitlement to annual holiday".

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not entirely sure that responding to "homosexuality is wrong" with "but I can't help it" is entirely non-fuckstickish though. It kind of carries an implicit agreement with the former statement. The correct answer is "no it isn't".

Yeah, but it seems to be one of the recurring arguments that sexuality is pre-set and inherent and this makes it natural and good. I'm not sure that's accurate (the first bit, obviously) but I'd rather be winning the rhetorical argument than correct on nitpicks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spectralent posted:

Yeah, but it seems to be one of the recurring arguments that sexuality is pre-set and inherent and this makes it natural and good. I'm not sure that's accurate (the first bit, obviously) but I'd rather be winning the rhetorical argument than correct on nitpicks.

I don't think the argument really has much in the way of legs though because if it turns out that it isn't (I doubt it is universally) then that scuppers the whole thing. Also it's not addressing the actual root of the problem which is that arguments from nature and/or divine mandate are stupid and not a substitute for proper consequentialist ethics.

If someone things being gay is wrong I don't think they're going to be convinced by telling them that people can't help it, these being the same idiots who believe everyone is born hosed up and need Jesus to fix them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 2, 2017

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

OwlFancier posted:

I've seen it approached from a different angle.

I've dealt with plenty of people (mainly old Christians) parading their tolerance and acceptance of homosexuality on the basis that they are fine with gay people and the choice they've made. I don't jump down their throats, but I do make it clear that people don't have much of a choice in who they're attracted to, and being gay isn't something you can just choose not to be.

I think it's a holdover from a time when being gay and being a paedophile was seen as nearly synonymous; they were both perverted acts committed by choice which need to be stamped out. This was wrong on multiple levels; homosexuality is not perverted, and attraction (and love) isn't a question of choice.

I don't think Corbyn is homophobic, but I'm disheartened to see that he holds that kind of false-tolerance view.

Plucky Brit fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 2, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

She seems reasonable, someone tell me why I'm wrong and so is hope.

spectralent posted:

Lots of things are natural and terrible. Some things are natural and good. Plenty of things are unnatural and good.

I think the existence of identical twins with differing sexuality and the existence of completely different standards of sexualities throughout history makes it unlikely to be something completely innate and hard wired into you before your birth, but I also think that love between consenting adults should be protected from assholes whether they're yelling "it's a choice and you can choose not to!" or "it's genetic and we need screening!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm gonna wait for an actual source for his comments rather than just criticise him on what he "apparently" said.

• Locked thread