Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I just noticed one of the screen mockups was cribbed in design from the Amazon Fire TV's Twitch app. :lol:

That's actually the Android TV design, all TV-mode apps have that layout. Given it's likely this thing is running Android, makes sense it utilizes TV-mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah, the CUE should look something more like

code:
FILE "PopfulMailUnWorked_01.iso" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE1/2048
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "PopfulMailUnWorked_02.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 00:00:00
    INDEX 01 00:02:00
FILE "PopfulMailUnWorked_03.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
FILE "PopfulMailUnWorked_04.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
or maybe

code:
FILE "popfulmail.bin" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
      INDEX 01 00:00:00
    TRACK 02 AUDIO
      INDEX 00 39:47:27
      INDEX 01 39:49:27
    TRACK 03 AUDIO
      INDEX 00 42:09:57
      INDEX 01 42:11:57
    TRACK 04 AUDIO
      INDEX 00 44:35:29
      INDEX 01 44:37:29

I think I figured it out. Those CUE sheets define a 2-second pre-gap to the track. Once extracted by the auto-patcher, my audio tracks don't have the two seconds of silence at the beginning to make that work. I removed the INDEX 01 lines from the supplied CUE sheet and now it works fine.

My data track md5 matches what the readme calls for, so that part should be fine, too.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Kid Fenris posted:

Good. Exile 2 is the only Working Designs localization that really verges on impossibly hard. The others are toughened up, but Exile 2 ended up much more difficult than even WD intended it to be.

You mean Howard Lincoln, right? Howard Phillips no longer worked for Nintendo by that point.

They could've had Nester at the hearing, though.

It was Lincoln, and describing that hearing as Sega defending art is hilarious. It's two big corporations that both needed to get the government off their backs. And guess what, they did, and Sega made the most artistic game of all time, X-Perts

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 2, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Are you saying that Night Trap isn't art?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Back to the Denny's 2600 for a sec
https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/827245616522686464

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That is actually pretty awesome.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
So they replaced the brains of a 2600 with an arduino that's connected to an HDMI out? So are the carts actually being a storage media?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Elliotw2 posted:

Aren't Exile 2 and Vay like literally impossible in the Working Designs versions because they just cranked up stats and didn't bother to verify if the game worked at all like that?

I think Vay is tough but not near-impossible. Victor Ireland has said that they didn't intend to make Exile 2 quite THAT hard. It was a problem they noticed, but they couldn't fix it because they'd used up all of their QC passes and the developer wouldn't allow another one, or something to that effect.

I never thought Lunar 2 was that hard, aside from the Borgan battle and Zophar's final form. Popful Mail is too hard at the beginning. It gets easier as you get Tatt and Gaw and projectile weapons, but you have to play slow and conservative in the initial stages. I remember how my sister, who didn't play too many action games, liked Popful Mail but gave up on it after the Wood Golem boss killed Mail ten times in a row.

If you want to see what Ireland thinks of these fan hacks, there's a thread at the Gaijinworks forums.

This part about the Lunars is kinda interesting:

quote:

But the games take place in our future or an alternate timeline of our future, so those things COULD easily apply. People never really consider that. Shigema wussed out in making the connection more obvious (apologizing for it at dinner one night in Japan), though, with the name of the first Dragonmaster in the legend. You can figure out the intent if you think about it, but the name was originally something else.

I'd like to know what the original name was. The first Dragonmaster is named Louie in the final game, which I assume refers to Louie Anderson.

Also, an anecdote about writer/reviewer/real estate agent Zach Meston.

quote:

LUNAR PSX translations were based on the SEGA CD version to a point. LUNAR 2 was supposed to be Zach writing it, but I ended up re-writing quite a bit of what he did, because he had just broken up with one of the other employees at WD and wrote the female characters (most notably Jessica) like total bitches and sex objects, which was wildly inappropriate. Then I had to finish what was left (while recording in the studio, too), because when the text was supposed to be done, he wasn't even close, making excuses about computer crashes, etc that were total BS. It's also the reason Nall is talking about stuff that isn't there in the PSX version of LUNAR 2 in the cave. That was copied verbatim from the SEGA CD version by Zach and missed in the rush to rewrite/finish the text by me. It was really a terrible last 1/4 of that project.

Note that Jessica is a character in Lunar, not Lunar 2. I assume he means Jean or Lemina.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is OSSC even available anywhere right now? Shipping right now, I mean.

And speaking of waiting on shipping. I'm going to beat Zelda on my 3DS before my SD2SNES shows up so I can play it on my TV :[

al-azad
May 28, 2009

rdbbb posted:

It was Lincoln, and describing that hearing as Sega defending art is hilarious. It's two big corporations that both needed to get the government off their backs. And guess what, they did, and Sega made the most artistic game of all time, X-Perts

You're not incorrect but Sega defended games as a viable medium not unlike the people crucified for movies 50 years back. Nintendo's defense was "Sega has Mortal Kombat and they're evil we have Mario and he's nice."

So whichever Howard stood on the bench that day while a fledgling industry was standing before the biggest political blowhards with too much time can gently caress themselves.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Martytoof posted:

Is OSSC even available anywhere right now? Shipping right now, I mean.

And speaking of waiting on shipping. I'm going to beat Zelda on my 3DS before my SD2SNES shows up so I can play it on my TV :[

Nope. Still doing waitlists and such.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
How much of an improvement is Dragon Force II over the first? I liked a lot about the original but absolutely hated how many menus I had to trudge through.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Why is that forum full of people who seem to be mad that people don't like WD hackjobs

e: oh it's because vic ireland is the admin lmao

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 2, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I never noticed that they left the horrible dialog in those "fixes" which is kind of a shame, I would love to see a full retranslation of some of those games without all the painful WD dialog. To be honest that's what ruins those games more than the difficulty for me

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

I never noticed that they left the horrible dialog in those "fixes" which is kind of a shame, I would love to see a full retranslation of some of those games without all the painful WD dialog. To be honest that's what ruins those games more than the difficulty for me

You would have to go through literally the whole game. For the most part the egregious dialog is from NPCs.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I'd rather just see the drat WD games besides Vay get modern rereleases. Also stuff like the JPN version classic Wizardries and the like. I mean hell, where the gently caress is the arcade version of Indiana Jones n the Temple of Doom? Chase HQ? Aliens and Aliens vs Predator arcade?

So many classic games with no legal way to play them outside of people with big rear end bank accounts and a large space for moving trucks to back up.

Course I am still bitter over our lack of Cosmic Fantasy games too so maybe I am just odd.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Take the PS2 version of Dragon Force, apply the WD translation, port to PS4 or Switch or something, profit

C'mon, Sega

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Captain Rufus posted:

I'd rather just see the drat WD games besides Vay get modern rereleases. Also stuff like the JPN version classic Wizardries and the like. I mean hell, where the gently caress is the arcade version of Indiana Jones n the Temple of Doom? Chase HQ? Aliens and Aliens vs Predator arcade?

So many classic games with no legal way to play them outside of people with big rear end bank accounts and a large space for moving trucks to back up.

Course I am still bitter over our lack of Cosmic Fantasy games too so maybe I am just odd.

Many of the Japanese Wizardry remasters wouldn't even need a bunch of work - the Saturn collection of the first 3 has full English scripts you can toggle on, I'm guessing for Japanese fans who wanted that OG American game feel.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

this is the weirdest thing to complain about in our age of emulation, flash carts, and disc burning

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

d0s posted:

Apparently the English translations are pretty faithful to the original in spirit if not in actual text. Like the Japanese versions of the WD games are pretty light in tone and have a bunch of bad puns as well.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Apparently the English translations are pretty faithful to the original in spirit if not in actual text. Like the Japanese versions of the WD games are pretty light in tone and have a bunch of bad puns as well.

No doubt, I just found WD's particular brand of humor really grating and would rather just see what the original designers had the characters saying, or even someone else's creative interpretation that isn't those particular writers. Like people point to the SNES FF games as also having really bad westernized translations but those I really don't mind at all, despite them not being ~pure~ or whatever they don't come off as obnoxiously as WD stuff to me for whatever reason

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'm playing through Popful Mail now that I can actually progress past the tree golem, and nothing struck me as too horrible. Then again, I like corny humor, puns, and dad jokes sooo...

I actually lol'ed irl when Mail called Slick retarded. I didn't see that coming.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow, somehow I never adjusted the settings on the crt I got a few months ago. Man it looks a lot nicer after I used the 240p test suite. Only thing I noticed is the overscan is more on the bottom then any other part of the tv.

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.
I may be thinking of an older version of this thread, but I remember seeing a post about the different kinds of PVMs and how you have to be careful to get the right kind. Can someone tell me if this is worth $150? I'm looking at a Craigslist ad for a Sony Trinitron PVM-20N1U with a back that looks like this:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Garnavis posted:

I may be thinking of an older version of this thread, but I remember seeing a post about the different kinds of PVMs and how you have to be careful to get the right kind. Can someone tell me if this is worth $150? I'm looking at a Craigslist ad for a Sony Trinitron PVM-20N1U with a back that looks like this:

150 for S-Video is pricey. But I guess the 20 inches offsets that now. I wouldn't pay for it personally but given the market it's probably OK.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Garnavis posted:

I would avoid a N series, that's the cheapo line and s-video only causes you to miss out on one of the nicest things about a PVM, ability to use RGB natively

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

azurite posted:

I'm playing through Popful Mail now that I can actually progress past the tree golem, and nothing struck me as too horrible. Then again, I like corny humor, puns, and dad jokes sooo...

I actually lol'ed irl when Mail called Slick retarded. I didn't see that coming.

Popful Mail is the most accurate WD translation, since the game was already 100% jokes. Lunar 1 and 2 have some jokes, but WD added some to them both, and a bunch of poo poo to Vay and Exile 1 and 2 on TGCD. Exile 1 was also translated by Telnet Japan on the Genesis and is otherwise identical, so you could probably scrub through both and see how much WD liked to "flavor" their work.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

re PVMs here's a post I made a page ago

d0s posted:

PVMs have a manufacture date printed on the rear label. Try to find something made after 1998 or ideally after 2000. If you want a 14" model look for a PVM-14M2U or 14M4U (replace 14 with 20 for 20"). The difference between 2U or 4U is the TVL count. 2U is 600 lines, 4U is 800 lines. Higher TVL count = thicker scanlines but also more expensive. You will probably be happy with a 2U. You can also look for a medical model, which would end in "MDU" as in "20M2MDU". Only real difference for our purposes is the color, medical models come in a white case.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Added a paragraph about PVMs to the OP to hopefully help people not buy crap

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Apparently the English translations are pretty faithful to the original in spirit if not in actual text.

Only bringing this up because I saw this last week: not according to some of this

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They had some talented programmers I guess, but they really misplaced their effort.

"In the US version, Sirufa's dialogue has been rewritten. Now, her wind powers are due to a bet she lost with an unexplained "Thaldar," as a result of which she "received the curse of eternal seismic flatulence." This is then used to create a mechanic whereby, if Sirufa's teleportation is used without having all party members equipped with "Filtration Masks," the unequipped members will be "overcome by the noxious fumes" and remove the rest of the party's masks before dying, causing an instant game over. "

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

eternal seismic flatulence

Retro Gaming Megathread: The Curse of Eternal Seismic Flatulence

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

They had some talented programmers I guess, but they really misplaced their effort.

"In the US version, Sirufa's dialogue has been rewritten. Now, her wind powers are due to a bet she lost with an unexplained "Thaldar," as a result of which she "received the curse of eternal seismic flatulence." This is then used to create a mechanic whereby, if Sirufa's teleportation is used without having all party members equipped with "Filtration Masks," the unequipped members will be "overcome by the noxious fumes" and remove the rest of the party's masks before dying, causing an instant game over. "

Sounds like the effort was appropriately applied.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Though they were ultimately unsuccessful, I applaud Working Designs' attempts to make Vay an interesting game.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

Though they were ultimately unsuccessful, I applaud Working Designs' attempts to make Vay an interesting game.

Yeah with that game I feel like they just picked the cheapest JRPG out there for them to license and thought "slap a fancy box on it and our nerd fans will buy anything lmao". It's not some horrible kusoge but definitely seems like something that should would have been a barebones budget release, if released here at all. On the other had I'm not a big RPG guy so maybe it has some hidden greatness that I missed because I've seen big fans and it even got ported to the iphone years ago when porting a retro game to the iphone was kind of a big deal

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's an anime game with giant robots that came out in an era where neither of the two really existed in the West. It really is "TECMO SECRET OF THE STARS" quality game but it was unique enough to stand out at the time. Also the plot reminded me of Xenogears a few years later where you the backdrop of an interstellar war beyond the stars and a robot falls on an undeveloped planet that now has to deal with this impossible killing machine.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

URL grey tea posted:

I couldn't find a Popful Mail iso (only .bin and .cue) and after converting it never matched the MD5 they insisted you need for the patch to work. I gave up after an hour :(

I wouldn't trust the MD5 output. On Eternal Blue even though the .iso file is 1:1 to the md5 hash after applying the patch it didn't match what was in the readme using 3 different xdelta patching utilities.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

d0s posted:

this is the weirdest thing to complain about in our age of emulation, flash carts, and disc burning

As I've gotten older I've gotten more empathetic, I've come to understand that everyone has different perspectives and opinions and life experiences and that it is these differences that make life interesting.

...that said, I will never, ever understand the need some people have to be able to say they're playing an old video game "legally," and this is coming from someone whose literal job it is to re-release old games. Yes, by all means, support re-releases with your dollars if you believe in them, fill your consoles with old games to give yourself a convenient way of playing them, but if something isn't available, why deprive yourself of something that nobody is selling you? If a company can't figure out how to keep a game in print, the onus is on them, not you, to make a legal version available. If you want to play something, just download it and play it, that legal version isn't going to be better (in fact, it's going to be worse 90% of the time).

When I see people waiting patiently for Nintendo to release an inferior translation of Mother 3 instead of just downloading the drat ROM I kind of lose my mind.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

d0s posted:

Yeah with that game I feel like they just picked the cheapest JRPG out there for them to license and thought "slap a fancy box on it and our nerd fans will buy anything lmao". It's not some horrible kusoge but definitely seems like something that should would have been a barebones budget release, if released here at all. On the other had I'm not a big RPG guy so maybe it has some hidden greatness that I missed because I've seen big fans and it even got ported to the iphone years ago when porting a retro game to the iphone was kind of a big deal

I liked Vay when it came out, but I was also an RPG-starved kid and would play almost any console RPG I could get my hands on. When SoMoGa brought it out on iOS I played through it and it was really only then that I realized how bland of a game it is. It's not terrible, but it doesn't do much to stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

URL grey tea posted:

I couldn't find a Popful Mail iso (only .bin and .cue) and after converting it never matched the MD5 they insisted you need for the patch to work. I gave up after an hour :(

There's a Darkwater (or "DW") release floating around online which matches their MD5s. Use that and you'll be fine. Don't bother checking the MD5 on the BIN itself, since any variation in the audio tracks will throw it off. The only issue I had was the truncated audio funniness I mentioned, which I fixed by removing the INDEX 01 lines in the patched version of the cue sheet.

flyboi posted:

I wouldn't trust the MD5 output. On Eternal Blue even though the .iso file is 1:1 to the md5 hash after applying the patch it didn't match what was in the readme using 3 different xdelta patching utilities.

There's a distinct possibility that the guy updated the patch without updating the MD5s in that readme.

azurite fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 3, 2017

• Locked thread