Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ought ten posted:

That's what you want, right?

Some pop on decel can actually be OK.
http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-13/deceleration-popping-explained-10/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Especially since the stock carb and the FCR carb don't have coast enricheners, so popping on deceleration is normal and also cool.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

popping on deceleration is cool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah my bike sounds like a popcorn popper when you engine-brake hard and it's awesome.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i tuned all mine out, didn't like it

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
It's increasingly likely that I'm selling my DRZ this season for something more suitable for my area. I love it, but something about the riding posture really aggravates my back, and everything fun around here is 30+mi away on the highway. Is there any reason I should just shoot for $4k firm on my bike, even with 10k mi? Try for more? I unfortunately lost the specs when I got the bike from the PO, but it's something like this:

Yoshi Exhaust (TRS Comp?)
UFO and Acerbis Plastics
Acerbis Cyclops Headlight
3x3 Mod
FCR 39 Carb
EBC front brake (320mm?)
Zeta brushguards w/integrated signals
Stainless steel brake lines
Seat Concepts low-profile seat
Twin Air filter
Clarke 3.9g (?) fuel tank
Unknown Make fender eliminator kit
Rear Pegs
Possibly has aftermarket wheels from a CBR, if that matters at all.

+ all removed parts

Local DRZsm's on Craigslist (both stock) are 4k miles and 300mi, $5000 and $5900 respectively, for reference.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

robotsinmyhead posted:

It's increasingly likely that I'm selling my DRZ this season for something more suitable for my area. I love it, but something about the riding posture really aggravates my back, and everything fun around here is 30+mi away on the highway. Is there any reason I should just shoot for $4k firm on my bike, even with 10k mi? Try for more? I unfortunately lost the specs when I got the bike from the PO, but it's something like this:

Yoshi Exhaust (TRS Comp?)
UFO and Acerbis Plastics
Acerbis Cyclops Headlight
3x3 Mod
FCR 39 Carb
EBC front brake (320mm?)
Zeta brushguards w/integrated signals
Stainless steel brake lines
Seat Concepts low-profile seat
Twin Air filter
Clarke 3.9g (?) fuel tank
Unknown Make fender eliminator kit
Rear Pegs
Possibly has aftermarket wheels from a CBR, if that matters at all.

+ all removed parts

Local DRZsm's on Craigslist (both stock) are 4k miles and 300mi, $5000 and $5900 respectively, for reference.

Ask for 5, negotiate down to 4500 or 4.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Where are you located?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

The Bandit posted:

Where are you located?

N. Indiana

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Bandit posted:

A/S(upermoto)/L

10000/DRZ/IN

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Coydog posted:

10000/DRZ/IN

Hey bb u want some brap

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I haven't tried second gear power wheelies on my 690 since the test ride (sorry Jazzzzz), but this afternoon I decided to see if I had enough back pressure on the Wings to make it happen.

YEP. I was even sitting forward and the front came right up no problems at all. :dogbutton: I love this biek.

EDIT: I just remembered it's not even in sport mode, but the tamed standard mode. :aaa:

Coydog fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 3, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

I haven't tried second gear power wheelies on my 690 since the test ride (sorry Jazzzzz), but this afternoon I decided to see if I had enough back pressure on the Wings to make it happen.

YEP. I was even sitting forward and the front came right up no problems at all. :dogbutton: I love this biek.

EDIT: I just remembered it's not even in sport mode, but the tamed standard mode. :aaa:

look up the "three wire mod" for the 690 - removes the power restrictions in 1st-3rd. You pull two wires from a harness somewhere on the left side of the bike. I never did it and never found any dangling wires anywhere, so...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had been planning to do that, but a local KTM enthusiast told me that only the 690 Enduro models had that restrictor. Presumably to tame them off road. I was pretty disappointed to hear that, since it seemed like an easy way to get power.

Of course, I haven't done anything to increase power or torque yet because, after almost 4k, it still feels absurdly powerful.

Mark David Chapman
Jul 25, 2011
Anyone have any experience with the KLX250sf? I've been looking to get a supermoto and they seem to be the only reasonably priced, 2,600-2,800$, bikes in my area (Socal). I've ridden a Wr250r converted to supermoto and really loved it, I'm just not looking to spend near 5,000$.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

Mark David Chapman posted:

Anyone have any experience with the KLX250sf? I've been looking to get a supermoto and they seem to be the only reasonably priced, 2,600-2,800$, bikes in my area (Socal). I've ridden a Wr250r converted to supermoto and really loved it, I'm just not looking to spend near 5,000$.

My friend bough one about a year and a half ago and he really likes it from what he's told me. He did put a jet kit in it to help it out a bit over the stock jetting and threw a FMF exhaust on though. But he hasn't ridden his GSX-R750 in over a year now, if that's saying anything.

Hooray Dialysis fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 15, 2017

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Having ridden my friend's KLX250sf with and without an FMF and jetting that I put on it for her, don't buy it unless you immediately plan to at least do something about the jetting. Maybe hers was just running poorly before or something but holy poo poo it was slow, and this is coming from someone that owns a DRZ.

cryosis
Mar 26, 2007
Anyone have a recommendation for a replacement seat for a 2008 690 SMC? The front clip portion of my new-to-me has been worn down enough where it won't stay fully latched which makes seating a bit exciting at times.

The stock seat seems fine other that the falling off thing, but I haven't ridden it for a full day or anything yet. Had started looking at the Seat Concepts if anyone has good/bad thoughts on that one.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

cryosis posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a replacement seat for a 2008 690 SMC? The front clip portion of my new-to-me has been worn down enough where it won't stay fully latched which makes seating a bit exciting at times.

The stock seat seems fine other that the falling off thing, but I haven't ridden it for a full day or anything yet. Had started looking at the Seat Concepts if anyone has good/bad thoughts on that one.

Well you can probably get a stock seat pretty cheap second hand, and I've also heard good things about Seat Concepts. I've also seen people say the KTM ergo seat is actually worse than stock.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

High Protein posted:

Well you can probably get a stock seat pretty cheap second hand, and I've also heard good things about Seat Concepts. I've also seen people say the KTM ergo seat is actually worse than stock.

Yeah, no question, get the Seat Concepts. Literally all day comfort. Gives you a reason to get them to install it on a new seat pan for you, too.

All I did was install the SMC fender instead of the Enduro fender, and now my 690 feels 2/3 the size, and I'm back to my WRx-hooligan self. It's the exact same bike, but suddenly I'm encouraged to jump curbs and explore and go down stairs and all that nonsense.

I'll never get over how changing something small on a motorcycle gives the mental perception of having a completely different vehicle. It would be like changing a fender on an Impreza, and ending up with a miata.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Like adding a JC Whitney spoiler to 92 Mercury Sable

cryosis
Mar 26, 2007

High Protein posted:

Coydog posted:

Yeah, no question, get the Seat Concepts. Literally all day comfort. Gives you a reason to get them to install it on a new seat pan for you, too.

Thanks. After getting stuck in freeway traffic, did run into some annoyances with it, so I'll look into a Seat Concepts soonish here.

That's a clean looking bike Coydog. What's the finned box mounted to the fender? Lights?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks! Those are RUND LED pods, on happy trails 690 fork mounts. They are some :getin: levels of output and build quality.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T9GNAYE/ref=psdc_15736511_t1_B019X7HRDS
http://www.happy-trail.com/find-your-bike/ktm/690-enduro-r/light-bracket.html

Coydog posted:

TRIP REPORT (Nitrogen's cam takes better night shots than mine, I think.):

Summary: The Cyclops 7000lum led bulb is everything the 3800 lum should have been. It works flawlessly with my 690 SMC reflector, where the last one was almost useless. I swapped the low/high wires back to stock, because the low is now amazingly useful.

The Low beam is what got the new brighter LEDs. Even better, it got a slightly warmer color temperature LED, which helps a lot. Cutoff is flawless

Just the 2017 Cyclops LOW:

Just the 2017 Cyclops 7000lum HIGH:

NO CYCLOPS BULB. JUST 2x 2800Lum LED pods. I didn't mess with camera settings. They really are that much brighter. Lookin' at you, JAZZZZZ.

2017 Cyclops 7000lum HIGH plus 2x 2800Lum LED pods:
If you're having darkness problems I feel bad for you son
I got ninety nine problems but light ain't one

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Saw a cop sitting by the side of the road on his policed up Husky 701 earlier tonight. Looked pretty good. Would've snapped a pic except for the fact I was driving and they tend to look down on that sort of thing.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin' from the show your bike thread:

Picked up this 2008 WR250x with 8k miles for $3,600 on Sunday. Finally part of the sumo club :c00l: It has FMF exhaust and power commander. Way slower than my old bike but it should be more fun. Is anyone familiar with the "no toil" air filter? I've never heard of it and might change that back to stock.

Sorry for the bitmoji picture, I saved it from snapchat.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at supermoto brake and suspension setups for my new-to-me YZ450, and I'm curious what kind of guidance you guys can give on those. I've been searching eBay a lot and considering getting a Magura fork lug put on a spare set of forks(lowered and sprung for sumo), then running a brembo caliper and master cylinder off a fashion Ducati or something like that. Will that be good for racing, or would I be better off buying one of those Braking or Moto-Master kits for a bit more?

For suspension, I'm gonna try to find some forks that fit my year for cheap, then drop them 2", respring, gold valves, and have someone else install that magura fork lug because it sounds like a tricky job. So that if it ends up screwed up, it's on someone else. The extra shock I'll drop 1" and respring as well.

Is it super worth looking into 16.5" front wheels? I don't have tire warmers or anything like that, but then again I don't think I'll ever really street this bike. I guess it's all a matter of what you can afford.

Also, looking into getting a Hinson or STM slipper clutch, depending on which I can find cheapest.

elegant drapery
Oct 11, 2004

hot sauce posted:

Crosspostin' from the show your bike thread:

Picked up this 2008 WR250x with 8k miles for $3,600 on Sunday. Finally part of the sumo club :c00l: It has FMF exhaust and power commander. Way slower than my old bike but it should be more fun. Is anyone familiar with the "no toil" air filter? I've never heard of it and might change that back to stock.

Sorry for the bitmoji picture, I saved it from snapchat.

I found a wr250x with 3600 miles for $3500 with Enduro tires on it.... but its 15 hours from me agghhhhh. My MSF course ( and non snowy roads ) isn't even until end of April / early May but it's exactly what I want for a first bike. Low HP, light, and can access the plethora of dirt roads + endless paved mountain passes around me.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mallard malarky posted:

I found a wr250x with 3600 miles for $3500 with Enduro tires on it.... but its 15 hours from me agghhhhh. My MSF course ( and non snowy roads ) isn't even until end of April / early May but it's exactly what I want for a first bike. Low HP, light, and can access the plethora of dirt roads + endless paved mountain passes around me.

It's one of the best first bikes you can get. I'm sure one will pop up on CL near you soon. This is actually my third bike, I just really wanted a sumo and the WR is one of the cheapest options.

Where do you live?

elegant drapery
Oct 11, 2004
Vail Colorado. Here's the one in Montana that I'm drooling over https://tinyurl.com/zll5oge

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cool, I'm in Denver. Just picked mine up from Westminster last weekend for about the same price. When you find one, we should go riding :) I only moved to the state recently and was looking for some goons to ride with. HenryJLittlefinger and I had discussed getting together once it gets warm too.

elegant drapery
Oct 11, 2004
I'm down. There is so much low traffic but gorgeous roads in this state it's unreal.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

More shameless whoring of my bucket. went to point reyes. saw a 701sm in the flesh. got in a few miles of fire roads too.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

mallard malarky posted:

Vail Colorado. Here's the one in Montana that I'm drooling over https://tinyurl.com/zll5oge

This seems really cheap and those tires are awesome looking.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This is why Sumos are the best bikes. Woke up to a beautiful Sunday, and headed up to some ORV trails for some rough riding all afternoon. Then, ripped it through the twisties to an entrance to fire roads, where I finished the day out catching the sunset on 40 miles of ridge line dirt roads.

Then took the highway 2 hours home because I got lost. Bike handled it all with aplomb.

Not a cloud in the sky all day.

It never looks as rough in pictures as it is in real life.

Mistakes were made, regrets were had. The only off I had all day, despite much harder sections afterwards.

Chill spot to stop for lunch.

I love this biek ya'll.

Late afternoon and sunset on this road was a relaxing end to the day.

cursedshitbox posted:

More shameless whoring of my bucket. went to point reyes. saw a 701sm in the flesh. got in a few miles of fire roads too.

Can't get enough of your DRZ getting hard use. That headlight really makes it, too, always.

mallard malarky posted:

Leo Vince pipe, too. That's nice, for a very nice price. You should jump on that.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 27, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What's it like riding on that sort of terrain with street tires? I imagine the gearing and suspension help a lot, but it seems like you'd spend more time sliding than hooked up.

Maybe that's the point.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe that's the point.

:kimchi:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

We have matching Carrillo swingarm decals.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yerok posted:

We have matching Carrillo swingarm decals.

I'm runnin' em both sides. they make good pistons. :3:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

What's it like riding on that sort of terrain with street tires? I imagine the gearing and suspension help a lot, but it seems like you'd spend more time sliding than hooked up.

Maybe that's the point.

It gets squirrelly in the rougher stuff in standard mode, sometimes. The "soft" ECU switch setting transforms the bike into a TW200 with loads of torque, and I always feel hooked up. It's even tractable on wet rocks/leaves/mud/roots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Rode the DRZ today, did some wheelies, just makes me more unsure about selling it.

• Locked thread