Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

tooterfish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165H_5jgE5g

What do you know, I just had to type "Chris Roberts coding" into google.

This video's great. Remember when Chris personally solved the ships jittering on the landing pad and characters slipping through cracks in the "Physics" 6 months before 2.0 came out?

http://i.imgur.com/tJat0fN.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/yFkZJOS.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

his nibs posted:

nice medown

:)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Libluini posted:

Ugh, that hurts to look at. I'd only ever have something like this in my house if I could install real retro-rockets into those things, so if someone pulls that emergency lever, they're getting slammed into the ceiling at light speed.

Don't do that.

Not only will the gamma-ray burst boil the entire neighbourhood, but your cat will hate you forever for ruining their territory without permission.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494493

As the title says, start with Eisenhorn. If you enjoy it, then after that trilogy I'd say try the Night Lords trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Eisenhorn is an Imperial Inquisitor doing Inquistiony things and is quite a good intro to the setting. The Night Lords are traitor space marines who are inhuman monsters.

Actually, I am starting a friend out with the Horus Heresy series. Chronologically better, but the Eisenhorn books are great. I also tend to recommend the Gaunt's Ghosts series, to better put a human face on things.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

tooterfish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165H_5jgE5g

What do you know, I just had to type "Chris Roberts coding" into google.

This is great

Chris mouth - breathing and staring at the screen like it's in Spanish

Click. Click. Clack. Click

My loving grandmother can type faster than thah and she's been dead over a year

All we needed was for him to be typing on a keyboard not plugged in

Uhh Chris sir your computer isn't on

I CAN SEE THE CODE I NO LONGER NEED YOUR PRIMITIVE HUMAN EYES

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Star Citizen: Cry 'Engine' and let slip the blogs of war!

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Libluini posted:

Except for Caiaphas Cain's novels. He is basically Hero of the Imperium, but against his will. He brings back the silliness this dour universe was solely missing.
i tried to read these and they're absolutely just regular mary sue 40K fiction with a slightly snarky narrator. "i thought about running away then owned the poo poo out of all the dudes with my chainsword instead!" :supaburn:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
We're in the pipe, five by five by five

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Saint Drogo posted:

i tried to read these and they're absolutely just regular mary sue 40K fiction with a slightly snarky narrator. "i thought about running away then owned the poo poo out of all the dudes with my chainsword instead!" :supaburn:

It's basically just a pastiche on Harry Flashman/The Flashman Papers, except much less interesting because it's in 40k instead of actual historical events and the character is actually brave/good instead of a raging rear end in a top hat.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Polish Avenger posted:

Same.

I don't think I'll ever look into the game proper but I really enjoy the universe. I can play through Space Marine a few times a year still. I'm keeping an eye on that early access game (Eternal Crusade, found it) that's looking to do large scale multiplayer Space Marine, I'm hoping they can get that working nicely.

Saw earlier you can get it for like nine bucks right now. Might have to grab it. Also the Dawn of War games are dope.

Would love to check out the pen and paper games, but I don't have anyone to play with locally.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Meridian posted:

I have no interest in the game itself but the setting is extremely awesome. I mean just look at this loving thing. Awesome.

I read the overview and there's the Stimpire inspiration.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Saint Drogo posted:

Yeah, no. That opinion is almost as wrong as that of a backer. A WHALE backer.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods
He's master of mankind by his own will.

There are no gods you loving heretic, get on the bonfire.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

tooterfish posted:

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Also if any SC goons wanna play the new Space Hulk with me, it's p. good and you can be an insane hammerman

chochmah
Sep 27, 2015

he uses the mouse to mark a word :O and has to look down on the keyboard to find DEL

(if you did that even in your first CS-semester you'd be laughed out of class)

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Also if any SC goons wanna play the new Space Hulk with me, it's p. good and you can be an insane hammerman

Game is good? People were making GBS threads on it last I checked. Vermintide is real good, but not 40k.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

chochmah posted:

he uses the mouse to mark a word :O

Click. Highlight 'code' .... delete

OK guys looks like we will be delayed by about 6 months, Crobberts deleted all our code again

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Meridian posted:

Game is good? People were making GBS threads on it last I checked. Vermintide is real good, but not 40k.

The game itself is p good. Level design, sound, visuals are all great. Gunplay feels awesome, you flip from feeling like a living god to going "oh gently caress gently caress gently caress" pretty quick.

Menu, matchmaking, and general use is loving abysmal unless they've patched it since the last time I played.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'm the lack of 555 jokes

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm the lack of 555 jokes

I actually don't mind you

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sappo569 posted:

I CAN SEE THE CODE I NO LONGER NEED YOUR PRIMITIVE HUMAN EYES
Where we are going we don't need eyes to code.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

happy groundhog day

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Did Lesnick see his shadow?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

chochmah posted:

he uses the mouse to mark a word :O and has to look down on the keyboard to find DEL

This is why CIG should have two code bases.
The proper one, and one that Chris thinks is the proper one.

He is allowed full access to gently caress about and change whatever on the one he thinks is the real one, he will forget what he has changed anyway.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, no. That opinion is almost as wrong as that of a backer. A WHALE backer.
if we're gonna do SC comparisons i'd say the whales are the guys insisting something totally milquetoast is different and innovative because it says so. :shepface:

(in seriousness i'm probably too harsh on them because fans/GW always play up the Flashman/Blackadder comparisons and it does them no favours. they're still way more readable than Gaunt's loving ghosts, but well behind Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Drago).

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Do your magic, Chris!

http://i.imgur.com/88McwjJ.mp4

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

tooterfish posted:

There is one. The Emperor. May the light from the Golden Throne illuminate us and guard us from the horrors of the darkness.

EDIT: An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 2, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

By the way, who's the SS officer Chris was working on?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Did Lesnick see his shadow?

stop having fun at his expanse

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

If I had a copy, I would be all over that like Ben on a box of doughnuts.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Space hulk is still buggy for me. It freezes for 5-10 seconds every minute or so. It has something to do with multi-threading or something. They are supposed to be releasing another patch soon.

edit: Taxation with out representation...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Saint Drogo posted:

if we're gonna do SC comparisons i'd say the whales are the guys insisting something totally milquetoast is different and innovative because it says so. :shepface:

(in seriousness i'm probably too harsh on them because fans/GW always play up the Flashman/Blackadder comparisons and it does them no favours. they're still way more readable than Gaunt's loving ghosts, but well behind Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Drago).

I didn't see the Blackadder (don't know the Flashman stuff personally) comparison because Blackadder was a coward at his core, IMO, and Cain wasn't, although he would never admit it.

And I liked the chronicles of the Tanith 1st (And Only), despite the grimdark spectre of them never having a home again. Decided to start the friend on Eisenhorn. Not sure if we will go Horus Heresy or Ravenor after that. Don't know Drago. Currently reading the Ahriman books.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I found a dude who's selling two GTX 780 ti's to me for about 2500 SEK, I'ma put one of them in my computer and sell the other one (he only wanted to sell both at once)

Be a nice upgrade from my passively cooled 750. One of them is stock overclocked GIGABYTE GHZ edition too

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

By the way, who's the SS officer Chris was working on?
That would be Captain Generic of the UEES Insipid.

He's a major character, I can't believe you don't kn...zzzzzzzzzzz.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Daztek posted:

happy groundhog day

Derek saw his shadow, so now it's going to be six more weeks until his explosive ELE blog. :sigh:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

His double chins jiggle as much as his physics grid. It's hypnotic.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Beet Wagon posted:

I prefer Battletech myself, but yeah. They're both basically "Hey what if everyone was a Mary Sue and we just turned the AWESOME/INSANE knob until it broke the gently caress off"

I knew I was reading something special when I noticed that in the main Battletech rulebook there is a specific game mechanic for blowing off an enemy's limb, picking it up off the ground, and beating them to death with it. :allears:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Ben Parry in the hot seat

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/star-citizen-programmer-confirms-oculus-vive-vr-not-table-after-angering-fans-581995

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
ATV is the 'Music of SQ42" several minutes of a short episode dedicated to doxxing the sound guys entire life story