Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Last time I watched Prometheus I noticed they used the Giger design for the Harkonnen castle as the engineer structure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZlj3KMSjZw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I shall always think of the Baron the way he looked in the (first?) Dune game.

:allears:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

Clearly they are going to pick God-Emperor of Dune for its mass appeal.

This is really what they should do. Recognize the good parts of the Lynch film and the SyFy miniseries (namely James MacAvoy as Leto II) and incorporate them into a God-Emperor of Dune film and just run with that. There's little need to explain anything like backstory except through Duncan Idaho's eyes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A Ghola's Purpose

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

A Ghola's Purpose

A distrans is released of the ghola being pushed into the water of life against its will as the CHOAM representative does nothing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Now that some time has passed, are we still calling Suicide Squad a failure for angering comic book nerds and critics or still calling it a sleeper that connected with demos they weren't even aiming at?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Now that some time has passed, are we still calling Suicide Squad a failure for angering comic book nerds and critics or still calling it a sleeper that connected with demos they weren't even aiming at?

Now that some time has passed, nobody cares

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mierenneuker posted:

Clearly they are going to pick God-Emperor of Dune for its mass appeal.

I hope they include the dick joke.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

precision posted:

I believe the issue was that critics hated it and that made comic book nerds angry. They acted like comic book movies don't get treated fairly by critics despite the fact that most of Marvel's efforts have gotten pretty good ratings and raked in a lot of cash. Their edgy wet fart movie deserved the lovely rating it got.

From my outsider's perspective it seems like DC authors and fans need to get over the whole Joker schtick. Particularly The Killing Joke, which came out 28 years ago. It's time to move on.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
IDK, I think it would be possible to do cool things with the Joker, it's just that no one's doing them. I have a whole movie in my head for an alternate Batman continuity, told from the point of view of a Joker who's just a normal guy trying to convince Batman to stop being an armed vigilante. He's a single father whose son gets sent to the hospital as collateral damage from the Batman/Killer Croc fight at the end of the previous movie, so he decides that Batman needs to be taught a lesson about the importance of the law. He adopts the Joker persona essentially as a parody of Batman's persona, to convince him through a reductio ad absurdum argument that it's a bad idea to set a precedent that people run around in funny costumes at night beating people up. Batman doesn't get it, and the Joker gets consumed by his satirical performance, gradually transforming from a deeply concerned citizen to, well, the Joker as people generally know him.

This is, incidentally, the middle of a Batman trilogy I have in mind. The first installment is an alternate Batman origin wherein the Penguin actually came up with the concept of Batman, but was too unhealthy to do it himself, so he established a convoluted conspiracy to plant the idea in Bruce Wayne's mind by killing his parents among other things. And the third installment involves an alternate version of Bane who's just a really psychotic and pathetic alt-righter billionaire who fetishizes Batman's "get jacked up and beat up criminals" schtick, and wants to blow up the moon to cause an apocalypse so that strong vigilantes can become the lords of a new feudalist civilization.

TIA for reading my fanfiction

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And yet it was still so much better than BvS. But I'm not a comic book fan, or at least, I was in the 80s and so I do still have set in my mind an idea of comic books and how they should work, but it's a really old idea.

Maybe I liked Suicide Squad because it's basically an issue of New Mutants.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want a movie where Batman uncovers more and more of a horrible plot that threatens to first kill or harm dozens of random people, to hundreds, then finally thousands in increasingly warped and psychotic ways as the movie goes on, but Batman can't seem to find exactly how or what this "Joker" is planning. Finally, at the climax and increasingly desperate, Batman comes face to face with the Joker in front of the world as the media copters shine a light down. Batman steps forward to attack the Joker, triggering a pressure plate in the street. A gigantic whoopie cushion lets out the world's greatest fart. No one was ever in any danger except the "gangsters" he paid to be in on it (sorry about your arm Bob Batman's pretty hosed up) the Joker just wanted to punk Batman really hard and then did. The End

e: The post-credits scene shows Clark Kent in the helicopter laughing and a flashback of Superman helping out the Joker with other parts of it because Christ, Batman's an rear end in a top hat.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 2, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

precision posted:

pretty sure the demo they were aiming for was 'normal human beings who don't give a gently caress about comics' and they connected pretty well on that front

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though having a comic book movie flop is actually really hard right now.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Casimir Radon posted:

I believe the issue was that critics hated it and that made comic book nerds angry. They acted like comic book movies don't get treated fairly by critics despite the fact that most of Marvel's efforts have gotten pretty good ratings and raked in a lot of cash. Their edgy wet fart movie deserved the lovely rating it got.

From my outsider's perspective it seems like DC authors and fans need to get over the whole Joker schtick. Particularly The Killing Joke, which came out 28 years ago. It's time to move on.

There was a small but very vocal group of DC fan boys who complained about Suicide Squad's poor reviews, up to and including starring a petition to get Rotten Tomatoes shut down, but most fans of actual comic book movies that I saw complaining about it were doing so because of the movie being a mess with a disappointing villain/threat.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I thought it connected amazingly to the Hot Topic crowd, holding just as much cultural relevence as Funko Pop figures and Five Nights at Freddies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hate that Heathens song.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Does The Hot Topic Crowd even exist still? Did it ever?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

21 Muns posted:

TIA for reading my fanfiction
I'm gonna be honest, I just skimmed it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

There were enough of them to justify a store in every mall. They probably get their dumb poo poo through some subscription box service nowadays though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hot Topic now goes with the nerd crowd so if you want anything nerdy, that is your place to get it. I was surprised to find a full line of Stranger Things merch already.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CelticPredator posted:

Hot Topic now goes with the nerd crowd so if you want anything nerdy, that is your place to get it. I was surprised to find a full line of Stranger Things merch already.

I just imagine they have Barb cosplay.

Why the internet latched onto her so strongly I don't really understand.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Now that some time has passed, nobody cares

No one's going to be talking about Suicide Squad in about a year, year and a half. Maybe more if DC manages to put out a movie that isn't instantly savaged by every critic on earth.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Len posted:

I just imagine they have Barb cosplay.

Why the internet latched onto her so strongly I don't really understand.

The internet can relate not getting laid.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

There's been weirdly dressed teenager cliques handing out at the mall and smoking since the 1950s. I wouldn't be shocked if Hot Topic turns out to be one of those stores that never dies out no matter how terrible they seem, like RadioShack.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Brother Entropy posted:

pretty sure the demo they were aiming for was 'normal human beings who don't give a gently caress about comics' and they connected pretty well on that front

People like my 64 year old father whose only comic books growing up were Donald Duck and the original Turok. He loved Suicide Squad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though having a comic book movie flop is actually really hard right now.

I was going to say Green Lantern wasn't that long ago, but holy poo poo, it's been six years.

Anyway, while Apocalypse certainly didn't flop, it under-performed by a not-insignificant amount.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rough Lobster posted:

There's been weirdly dressed teenager cliques handing out at the mall and smoking since the 1950s

Now they vape and it's somehow even worse than the 90s when, briefly, hackeysack was a thing that existed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Timby posted:

I was going to say Green Lantern wasn't that long ago, but holy poo poo, it's been six years.

Anyway, while Apocalypse certainly didn't flop, it under-performed by a not-insignificant amount.

The X-men movies are weird as you would think they would be focused by Sony but all the movies look cheap and like no one gives a gently caress.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Timby posted:

The most recent Fantastic Four was summer 2015.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

There's been weirdly dressed teenager cliques handing out at the mall and smoking since the 1950s. I wouldn't be shocked if Hot Topic turns out to be one of those stores that never dies out no matter how terrible they seem, like RadioShack.

I've got some bad news for you buddy ...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I've got some bad news for you buddy ...
They're still around and just resurrected the Tandy brand.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

I want a movie where Batman uncovers more and more of a horrible plot that threatens to first kill or harm dozens of random people, to hundreds, then finally thousands in increasingly warped and psychotic ways as the movie goes on, but Batman can't seem to find exactly how or what this "Joker" is planning. Finally, at the climax and increasingly desperate, Batman comes face to face with the Joker in front of the world as the media copters shine a light down. Batman steps forward to attack the Joker, triggering a pressure plate in the street. A gigantic whoopie cushion lets out the world's greatest fart. No one was ever in any danger except the "gangsters" he paid to be in on it (sorry about your arm Bob Batman's pretty hosed up) the Joker just wanted to punk Batman really hard and then did. The End

e: The post-credits scene shows Clark Kent in the helicopter laughing and a flashback of Superman helping out the Joker with other parts of it because Christ, Batman's an rear end in a top hat.

NGL this would be pretty cool

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

precision posted:

Now they vape and it's somehow even worse than the 90s when, briefly, hackeysack was a thing that existed.

Eh, vaping doesn't smell nearly as bad as actual cigarettes.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 2, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Timby posted:

There's a weirdness saturation that can gently caress you as in The Spirit. Being relatively obscure certainly didn't help either.

None of the Fantastic Four movies did all that well so I'd say the modern movie going public just doesn't want them.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

So basically, teenagers are scary and the Bad Clown Movie gives them too much power.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

There's a weirdness saturation that can gently caress you as in The Spirit. Being relatively obscure certainly didn't help either.

None of the Fantastic Four movies did all that well so I'd say the modern movie going public just doesn't want them.

Comic book readers don't want them either. FF books were Marvel's lowest selling titles and they wrote a whole event that ended with Reed and Sue going off to another dimension while Ben and Johnny joined separate teams.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

FF books were Marvel's lowest selling titles and they wrote a whole event that ended with Reed and Sue going off to another dimension while Ben and Johnny joined separate teams.

This was because Marvel is incredibly petty and killed the book because Fox can't make a good movie from it and yet refuses to cough up the rights.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The X-men movies are weird as you would think they would be focused by Sony

I've been staring at this sentence for like five minutes and I have no idea how to parse it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't know why I put Sony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Green Lantern was an interesting failure because (if I have the dates right in my head), the property as a comic was doing gangbusters and they were central to multiple ongoing big storylines.

But your average person literally wouldn't know what Green Lantern is if a real one came down from up high and slapped a ring on them. When it comes to DC, their public attention is probably just Superman and Batman. Green Lantern has no Q score, or whatever it's called.

(as an aside, I've always thought the designs and stuff were quite good. Terrible story, horrible bad guy, but great visual designs.)

• Locked thread