Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

You know, if Kryptonians don't need to breathe why do Zod and the others even have space helmets?

The Kryptonians wore those helmets as a sort of sensory deprivation, because they're hearing and vision would get all super sensitive now that they're on Earth. Hence the scene where Superman breaks off Zod's helmet and Zod can't cope for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Kryptonians wore those helmets as a sort of sensory deprivation, because they're hearing and vision would get all super sensitive now that they're on Earth. Hence the scene where Superman breaks off Zod's helmet and Zod can't cope for a while.

Did they know that going in? It's been a while since I've seen MoS, I thought they had them while looking at the dead colonies too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't remember. Maybe Kryptonians are able to "breathe" in space after being exposed to yellow suns? Most Superman media is never consistent with Superman needing a suit for space travel.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Maybe he can just hold his breath super long! :flappy mouth emoticon:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't remember. Maybe Kryptonians are able to "breathe" in space after being exposed to yellow suns? Most Superman media is never consistent with Superman needing a suit for space travel.

That's how I took it. And that their spacesuits shield them from the sun's radiation, at least mostly. Faora and the big guy get superpowers despite wearing the suit but it's a plot point that they are all normal back on their ship while Superman is not. The suits are there to create the same conditions as on their ship, they just aren't 100% radiation proof.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dublish posted:

I remember comparing that to Reeves' Superman holding a helicopter by a strut with no structural deformation. That looked weird to me even before I got into engineering.

DeimosRising posted:

The comics (of course) explain this stuff with a technobabble about forcefields, at least post 80s reboot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's passive TK or some such nonsense.

It's a hilarious phenomenon that exists in legacy comicbooks where modern writers tie the characters all up in knots explaining how some dumb aspect of their character that has been the butt of everyone's jokes for decades is actually totally explainable and cool and sensible, they just never explained it before because of **reasons**

There was a story in the 70s about how young Clark Kent made himself some glasses from some fragments of Kryptonian glass from the crashed craft that carried him to Earth and he's been wearing them ever since as part of his human disguise. Decades later he discovers that he's had passive hypnotic powers all along and Kryptonian glass actually amplifies the effect, therefore everyone has been seeing Clark as a weak and not so handsome older dude (which is how he unconsciously willed them to perceive him) instead of an embodiment of physical perfection wearing silly gag glasses.

It's pretty much :goonsay: the plot device.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was a story in the 70s about how young Clark Kent made himself some glasses from some fragments of Kryptonian glass from the crashed craft that carried him to Earth and he's been wearing them ever since as part of his human disguise. Decades later he discovers that he's had passive hypnotic powers all along and Kryptonian glass actually amplifies the effect, therefore everyone has been seeing Clark as a weak and not so handsome older dude (which is how he unconsciously willed them to perceive him) instead of an embodiment of physical perfection wearing silly gag glasses.

It's pretty much :goonsay: the plot device.

IIRC they immediately blow this to pieces by making him a television nightly news anchor.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

LesterGroans posted:

Whatever. Dark Archie owns.

https://twitter.com/papapishu/status/746803108949409793

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you want to get into how things work, are we supposed to be thinking that the Lego Batman Movie is still the creation of Will Ferrell's kid from The Lego Movie?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ElNarez posted:

That's Claremont.

Whoops yep. I actually feel pretty good that it's been long enough since I paid attention to comics I am forgetting this stuff now.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Detective No. 27 posted:

I thought it was part of their elitist assholeness. Wearing the suits not because they had to, but because they didn't want to get dirtied by any of that inferior Earth atmosphere. They didn't seem to even know how the sensory amplification would even affect them until their helmet goop shield is actually breached.

It's the same type of thing as them insisting on terraforming Earth to be exactly like Krypton, killing all humans. When they could have just flown around as nigh invulnerable gods instead. Krypton is Best, all things must be Krypton. No questions.

As for Superman breathing in space, yellow sunlight is just straight up magic medical miracle when it hits a Kryptonian. poo poo even brings them back from the dead, which is foreshadowing for when he comes back in Justice League.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They knew what the atmosphere would do, that wasn't the point.

The point was that they didn't give a poo poo about Earth's atmosphere, they just wanted it to be like Krypton. They don't want to be GodKings- they want to be Kryptonians because being anything else goes against their hardwired coding. So even though it gave them an inherent disadvantage, they cut themselves off from Earth and only took whatever beneficial powers the sun gave them.

Zod only broke through that after he lost everything.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

What if Superman was in color and there were five of them and they piloted robots and they combined into an even more kickass robot?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Burkion posted:

They knew what the atmosphere would do, that wasn't the point.

The point was that they didn't give a poo poo about Earth's atmosphere, they just wanted it to be like Krypton. They don't want to be GodKings- they want to be Kryptonians because being anything else goes against their hardwired coding. So even though it gave them an inherent disadvantage, they cut themselves off from Earth and only took whatever beneficial powers the sun gave them.

Zod only broke through that after he lost everything.

They kept saying it was hardwired into them, but part of the point of Man of Steel is that we aren't actually genetically locked into beliefs or actions. Being the result of some good old fashioned loving and having the full genetic code of his people imbued into him isn't what makes Kal-El a good dude. What makes Kal-El a good dude is that he learns from the salt of the Earth Kents and then synthesizes those beliefs with Jor-El's philosophy. We choose who we are.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Doggles posted:

What if Superman was in color and there were five of them and they piloted robots and they combined into an even more kickass robot?

like half of that movie would be a giant convoluted explanation as to why there are 5 Supermen and how they lost their powers and how they got access to and learned to pilot said giant robots though. And then people would bitch that the Superman robot used a sword.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

dublish posted:

I remember comparing that to Reeves' Superman holding a helicopter by a strut with no structural deformation. That looked weird to me even before I got into engineering.

Out of curiosity, does anyone remember which of the Reeves' Supermans this is in?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I want to say it's the first time he meets Lois as Superman.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Doggles posted:

I mean, I know the zords were never accurate depictions of the animals they were based on but at least you could tell what they were supposed to be. These ones? Not so much.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I mean, I know the zords were never accurate depictions of the animals they were based on but at least you could tell what they were supposed to be. These ones? Not so much.

ehhh they read fine to me but i dunno if i'd still feel like that if i didn't already know what they were all supposed to be

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The worst one is the Mammoth because that in no way looks like a Mammoth.

All of them are dumb for one reason or three, but the Mammoth is just inexcusable.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.change.org/p/warner-bros-let-zack-snyder-direct-the-batman

:allears: Can you imagine the meltdown half of the internet would have?

Mind you, I don't think is a bad idea.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think its a great idea. I'd love to see Snyder's visual style in a movie where he can focus 100% on Batman.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I think people assume we will get 2.5 hours of the warehouse rescue sequence, when really it will be 2.5 hours of the knightmare dream sequence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pussy Quipped posted:

I think people assume we will get 2.5 hours of the warehouse rescue sequence, when really it will be 2.5 hours of the knightmare dream sequence.

The action scenes aren't really what I'm talking about, I just like the way Snyder puts a shot together.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pussy Quipped posted:

If his parents weren't deaaaaaad it'd be funny to see Papa Wayne give Bruce the exact opposite life lessons Pa Kent did in MoS.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"gently caress dogs." ~ Pa Wayne, The Batman (2018)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

If his parents weren't deaaaaaad it'd be funny to see Papa Wayne give Bruce the exact opposite life lessons Pa Kent did in MoS.

He kinda did by dying in that alley

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Batman is WB. Harry Potter is WB. I think it's time Hermoine ends up in the Batcave.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They could literally have a V8 Interceptor or a car driven by Lord Humungus speed by during one of the nightmare sequences.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RBA Starblade posted:

His parents were alive long enough for some nice conversation with Pa Wayne.

Thomas Wayne: Bruce, you have to keep this side of yourself a secret.

Bruce Wayne at 8: What was I supposed to do? Just let them believe in their silly superstition?

Jonathan Kent: Maybe

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Surely even Snyder is getting sick of the same franchise after shooting 3 big wearying blockbusters in a row.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Is Snyder the new George Lucas?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He's the new Cameron.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Snyder is just Snyder. There are no others comparable.

From the word Go his career has been in the business of pissing off entitled fans by re imagining works they masturbate to nightly. Don't ever forget Dawn of the Dead was how he started.

He makes wonderful movies that are also always going to piss off dedicated fans forever no matter what the content of the film. He is a creature unto himself.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Is Terry Gilliam dead? Either way give him The Batman.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Is Terry Gilliam dead? Either way give him The Batman.

I think WB's having enough problems with directors dropping off of projects without picking the single biggest liability in the film directing world.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Pfft. He does fine as long as there is unlimited money.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Is that Bizarro's healing dust from Byrne's The Man Of Steel?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Someone asked James Gunn on Facebook and he said the director of The Green Room should direct Affleck's Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Doggles posted:

I look at the Red Zord and all I see is the chestburster covered in blood (RIP John Hurt).

• Locked thread