Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I was half expecting them to reveal that everyone from the VA who was there was actually a clone made by Twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Rhonne posted:

I was half expecting them to reveal that everyone from the VA who was there was actually a clone made by Twice.

I was more surprised that it wasn't. There doesn't seem to be any limitations other "weaker" so why would you not do that? The clone will act exactly like the original and you can have a electronic bug if you're concerned about making sure you know what happened.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ChronoReverse posted:

I was more surprised that it wasn't. There doesn't seem to be any limitations other "weaker" so why would you not do that? The clone will act exactly like the original and you can have a electronic bug if you're concerned about making sure you know what happened.

Because the VA are pretty incompetent. They surprise attacked a bunch of Freshmen who were off training in the middle of nowhere, and the only way they managed to do more than knock some kids out was that All For One loaned them an extra psycho Nomu. I really like that their incompetence is being addressed in story.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I'm enjoying Shigaraki's inverse parallel to Deku. Plague Doctor Yakuza dude is the villain's Muscle-Tintin.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, I'm cheering for Shigaraki and the Villain Alliance to take down Overhaul now as Shigaraki learns the value of friendship proper planning.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Rhonne posted:

Yeah but those clones poof out of existence once damaged enough.
These dudes though... Holy crap!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

key party favors posted:

I'm enjoying Shigaraki's inverse parallel to Deku. Plague Doctor Yakuza dude is the villain's Muscle-Tintin.

I think Plague Doctor Yakuza is also going to be Shigaraki's internship.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think that relationship has soured to the point where one of them kills the other. This might be the VA realizing they suck and have to do more than just get new members and throw them away on lame surprise attacks on UA. Job one is killing everyone in that other crew.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 2, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part of the VA's, and more specifically Shigaraki's, problem is how All For One raised him. Like, his focus on "learning" and all was good in some ways, but on the other hand, he had Shigaraki use all their villains they were called out on losing here as parts of lessons for him. This hasn't been "real" for Shigaraki until AFO lost, really, and it's reflected in how he's acted up until now. On top of being a huge sheltered and deliberately twisted manchild, he's only just now in the "real world" so to speak.

Which, really, parallels Deku and the kids in yet another way. poo poo's getting real for the VA now as well as the students.

On a different topic, we haven't seen Black Mist in a while. I also feel like we haven't seen Dabi in ages but he was in the Twice chapter now that I think about it, it's just that he otherwise hasn't gotten to do much since he was taken out ASAP in the attempt to take back Bakugou and he wasn't here either. After being prominent those two have sort of slipped into the background, Black Mist in particular.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
A development that has happened entirely in the background is Black Mist going legit and becoming a full-time bartender, as opposed to being the occasional bartender for the Villain Association's hive of scum and villainy

Portal powers are really handy for grabbing whatever bottles of liquor from across the bar that you need in an instant

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

On a different topic, we haven't seen Black Mist in a while. I also feel like we haven't seen Dabi in ages but he was in the Twice chapter now that I think about it, it's just that he otherwise hasn't gotten to do much since he was taken out ASAP in the attempt to take back Bakugou and he wasn't here either. After being prominent those two have sort of slipped into the background, Black Mist in particular.

the villains have way less screen time so they're probably all gonna get focused on for a little bit, then fade into the background for a while as others get their time to shine

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So basically this continues the build of the VA struggling as much as the students honestly.

The VA better loving accomplish something when they make another run at UA or they really are pretty lovely badguys. I want some blood for VA vs UA Round 3.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

So basically this continues the build of the VA struggling as much as the students honestly.

The VA better loving accomplish something when they make another run at UA or they really are pretty lovely badguys. I want some blood for VA vs UA Round 3.

I'm just hoping Shigaraki kills the hell out of this yakuza man.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Green Intern posted:

It was implied that there might be some kind of clone or substitute quirk at work, so that dude who died may have been a lifeless creation.

Are you basing that off of anything other than the plague doctor beaks? Because those just seem like some sort of uniform for Overhaul's organization.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'd be cool if the va's next thing was basically just them subjugating the yakuza guys. the best they've managed so far are pyrrhic victories. infiltrating ua and the training camp shook up the heroes and made the people lose faith in them, but the villains lost a ton of resources doing it and didn't see any direct benefits for themselves. kidnapping bakugou was temporary and they failed to recruit him, then they had to get bailed out by a41. stain also took the limelight from them before getting owned by high school students

they could use a real, unqualified win right about now. it's hard to take them seriously when the best they could manage to do so far is inconvenience people

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Overhaul left his calling card, so it has to be used.

I think Shiggy will somehow convince the VA to play along despite Compress getting his arm blown off and Magne dying, he'll let Overhaul run the show in order to learn his ways, then basically set something up where he basically gets to feed Overhaul and his goons to the goodguys- either having them tangle with Deku during his internship, or with UA in general. Shiggy knows the kids and pros from UA are no pushovers, so he'll probably get his jollies watching Overhaul learn his lessons about not taking them seriously the hard way.

They'll get defeated, Shiggy will take what he can from Overhaul's organization and grow stronger.

Probably some fun denouement where Overhaul is either busted and realizes he was used, or his group gets wiped out and Shiggy offs him before thanking him for his contributions to the cause.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 2, 2017

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Roland Jones posted:

If Dabi and Black Mist were there, the VA probably would have stood a much better chance against the plague doctor crew.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like Yakuza guy a lot more than Shigaraki so far. As far as villain status goes, he's far more competent and absolutely correct in his condemnation of Shiggy (even if he was wrong about Stain being part of the VA).

That said, the way the story is being setup, witch Shigaraki mirroring Deku, I think this is basically his internship where he learns from and eventually overtakes him.

I guess what I'm saying is, Shiggy is getting an Overhaul.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shigaraki's talk with Deku and his relationship with All for One were really good and some of my favourite bits in the manga, so I hope he gets to win something at some point.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

Overhaul left his calling card, so it has to be used.

I think Shiggy will somehow convince the VA to play along despite Compress getting his arm blown off and Magne dying, he'll let Overhaul run the show in order to learn his ways, then basically set something up where he basically gets to feed Overhaul and his goons to the goodguys- either having them tangle with Deku during his internship, or with UA in general. Shiggy knows the kids and pros from UA are no pushovers, so he'll probably get his jollies watching Overhaul learn his lessons about not taking them seriously the hard way.

They'll get defeated, Shiggy will take what he can from Overhaul's organization and grow stronger.

Probably some fun denouement where Overhaul is either busted and realizes he was used, or his group gets wiped out and Shiggy offs him before thanking him for his contributions to the cause.

Yeah, this is what I've been thinking too. And if people are right about Overhaul's quirk, Shiggy's got a perfect counter; there's no impact to reflect for his five finger death touch, so if/when the inevitable betrayal happens Overhaul will just dissolve.

Then again, this series has been pretty good about bucking our expectations, so we're all probably horribly wrong. We'll see, I guess.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I bet the lil' plague guy has the coolest quirk and the swole one gives him a ride outta respect.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
The action in the latest chapter was poorly conveyed

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blackheart posted:

I bet the lil' plague guy has the coolest quirk and the swole one gives him a ride outta respect.

His quirk is "gain respect from swole guys."

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, this is what I've been thinking too. And if people are right about Overhaul's quirk, Shiggy's got a perfect counter; there's no impact to reflect for his five finger death touch, so if/when the inevitable betrayal happens Overhaul will just dissolve.

Then again, this series has been pretty good about bucking our expectations, so we're all probably horribly wrong. We'll see, I guess.

If this wasn't a superhero comic I'd say five finger death touch is a lovely ability in a serious fight because someone could just pull a knife and shank your rear end, but that's not how these things work so yeah Overhaul would get hosed if his quirk based on countering physical force.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Slime posted:

If this wasn't a superhero comic I'd say five finger death touch is a lovely ability in a serious fight because someone could just pull a knife and shank your rear end, but that's not how these things work so yeah Overhaul would get hosed if his quirk based on countering physical force.

it's still strong outside of this genre because there's no reason to think that someone simply touching you would be dangerous. he could shake your hand and you'd die. give that to some normal looking dude and he could do some serious damage without ever getting in a fight

also you can survive getting stabbed but you're pretty screwed if shigaraki grabs you. if he gets your face or chest, you couldn't even stop it by cutting off an arm or w/e

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's still strong outside of this genre because there's no reason to think that someone simply touching you would be dangerous. he could shake your hand and you'd die. give that to some normal looking dude and he could do some serious damage without ever getting in a fight

also you can survive getting stabbed but you're pretty screwed if shigaraki grabs you. if he gets your face or chest, you couldn't even stop it by cutting off an arm or w/e

Even that wouldn't be enough really, unless you had super speed and could hack the limb off instantly; as we saw in this chapter, we've severely underestimated how fast his ability works. The mook he hit got reduced to bloody bits in the space of a few panels that seemed to represent, like, a second or two. Heck, one panel after the touch the man already had cracks through his whole body.

We were wrong calling it a death sentence before. It's just death.

Edit: Unrelated, I like that it's Shigaraki of all the VA members telling Compress to not attack Overhaul before he goes and loses his arm. He also reined the rest in when they were wanting to continue the fight. He's still a fuckup, but he's learning. He might have figured out what was going on already at that point, really; since his debut at USJ, being sharper than we give him credit for (even if he's also a lot dumber than he should be) has been a thing about him.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 3, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This chapter gave me HxH vibes and I could not be more excited for a franchise!

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Overhaul/Shigaraky are cool and all, but what's up with Twice? The dude had an amazing chapter all his own, no one outside of the main cast got this treatment. There's no way he will be just another VA member or worse, cannon fodder. Shigaraky growing side-by-side with Deku is interesting, but i really wanna know what the story reserve for Twice long-term.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
Is season 1 of the anime worth watching or should I go into this through the manga first and then check out the anime if I want more??

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Overhaul/Shigaraky are cool and all, but what's up with Twice? The dude had an amazing chapter all his own, no one outside of the main cast got this treatment. There's no way he will be just another VA member or worse, cannon fodder. Shigaraky growing side-by-side with Deku is interesting, but i really wanna know what the story reserve for Twice long-term.

Either redemption or something tragic happening to him, I bet. Long shot, arrest and rehabilitation (or maybe just arrest, which would be awful). Guy's obviously meant to be sympathetic and an example of how not every villain wants to be evil, and as you say he got a whole chapter to himself (even if it was also setting up for what happened here, since that also introduced Overhaul and had him come up with the idea to ask him to join), plus this chapter should lead to more character development for him since, as I mentioned earlier, he indirectly got Magne killed through all this more or less.

I'm hoping things go well for him. Poor guy's out of his mind and never got the help he needed. It's pretty bad if the Villain Alliance is the closest thing you have to a support group.

Back to Shigaraki for a second, ahahahahaha. I just noticed that, despite his outfit upgrade, he's still wearing his completely ordinary shoes. I was wondering about that before. I don't know why he wears red shoes like that but I love that little detail.

LolitaSama posted:

Is season 1 of the anime worth watching or should I go into this through the manga first and then check out the anime if I want more??

Anime's alright, pacing could be better (it's one of the strengths of the series how it doesn't get bogged down like other manga, so the anime being as slow as it is is kind of disappointing), overall it works as a good introduction I guess. Manga's great though, so if you're willing to start there I just would get to reading.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

On a different topic, I feel bad for Twice. Dude's crazy and everything, and the VA basically represents the closest thing to friends/family he has. And bringing Overhaul here was his doing.

And then Overhaul killed Magne.

Guy's already not all there; feeling responsible for getting his friend killed is probably really going to do a number on him.
Same. More than anything else in the chapter, that "Let me take responsibility!" line hit me the hardest. I love Twice, dude is gonna tear himself apart (even more) after this.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

LolitaSama posted:

Pacing is pretty poor but the music is great.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

His quirk is "gain respect from swole guys."

It really is the coolest quirk.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Unrelated, I like that it's Shigaraki of all the VA members telling Compress to not attack Overhaul before he goes and loses his arm. He also reined the rest in when they were wanting to continue the fight. He's still a fuckup, but he's learning. He might have figured out what was going on already at that point, really; since his debut at USJ, being sharper than we give him credit for (even if he's also a lot dumber than he should be) has been a thing about him.

Yeah, I think it's a sign of growth that Shigaraki doesn't want his people to get into a fight, and only goes on the offensive after Compress gets his arm blown off. He's a lot more composed and cautious than he was before, and it's neat to watch him develop as a villain the same way Deku is growing as a hero.

Though that said, the fact that Magne and Compress went on the attack sorta proves Overhaul's point - Shigaraki doesn't really have too much of a reign on his group, as opposed to Overhaul's people being a lot more organized.

I feel like Overhaul's group is a criminal organization, like Hydra or some other fictional comic book organization with a clear cut hierarchy, whereas the Villain Alliance is something like a buncha villains from a hero's rogue gallery, like the Sinister Six for Spider-man, in that there's generally a leader but the rest of the group are generally equal members and unit cohesion isn't as strong. Like, Justice League Unlimited had all these villains gather, but then they fractured into two factions and ultimately began killing each other before poo poo got really bad. Overhaul's about planning and tactics and being organized while the Villain Alliance is about personality and freedom, which attracts villains (or anti-heroes in the case of Stain) that attract other villains, making them more infamous then criminal organizations that work underground.

It's super neat and I really wanna see where this is gonna go.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Compress's arm loss has me thinking. If Shigaraki lost a finger, would he still be able to disintegrate things with that hand?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

Even that wouldn't be enough really, unless you had super speed and could hack the limb off instantly; as we saw in this chapter, we've severely underestimated how fast his ability works. The mook he hit got reduced to bloody bits in the space of a few panels that seemed to represent, like, a second or two. Heck, one panel after the touch the man already had cracks through his whole body.

We were wrong calling it a death sentence before. It's just death.

Do we know if Shigaraki's ability will dissolve you if he touches your clothes? Because if not, it's pretty easy to defend against, at least for the purposes of getting close to deliver a single attack.

Also you could always just use a gun against him (like that one hero actually did) and he's no different from a defenseless civilian, but I think we're just supposed to assume people don't really have access to guns in most manga (which is a reasonable enough assumption in Japan). And I think most other heroes/villains would also be helpless against a dude with a gun.

edit: Shigaraki touches the ground and the entire Earth dissolves into dust. A planet-destroying quirk.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

It works through clothes.

Or, judging by how actually fast his disintegration is, it might not work through clothes, but his death touch destroys your clothes so quickly that his hand reaches through to your skin to getcha that way. Which is effectively the same thing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

Do we know if Shigaraki's ability will dissolve you if he touches your clothes? Because if not, it's pretty easy to defend against, at least for the purposes of getting close to deliver a single attack.

Also you could always just use a gun against him (like that one hero actually did) and he's no different from a defenseless civilian, but I think we're just supposed to assume people don't really have access to guns in most manga (which is a reasonable enough assumption in Japan). And I think most other heroes/villains would also be helpless against a dude with a gun.

edit: Shigaraki touches the ground and the entire Earth dissolves into dust. A planet-destroying quirk.

Well, in this chapter the guy he dissolves was wearing clothes where he made contact.

He also managed to do the same to Aizawa through his clothes. The dissolving stopped in this case, but it's probably cause Aizawa activated his quirk and cancelled it, since we see here that you don't need to keep contact to keep the quirk going. Now that I think about it, extended contact doesn't make sense for Shigaraki's quirk because the destruction starts from the point of contact, making it impossible to keep a hold!

EDIT: Gah, beaten.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

You know, I think an interesting thing is that our Heroes are basically government institutions, and the Villains are basically a ragtag group of misfits. In a lot of other stories, it's usually the inverse. I'm finding Shigaraki's rise to power to be really interesting narrative choice, and I want to see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hm, so if it works through clothes it seems like it should also be able to dissolve the entire planet if you touch the ground. Or you should at least be able to do ridiculous poo poo like touch a street and destroy the entire length of the street (or take down an entire skyscraper).

edit: The one issue I have with Shigaraki narrative-wise is that his motivations aren't very interesting or persuasive. I feel like there's a lot of room for morally grey villains in the MHA universe, but all the ones we've seen are definitely evil dudes.